Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Loel posted:

Switching to this, HEY GUNS knows how to have a good time.

Hey HEY GUNS!
hey loel!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

C

How could we pick anything but a Heavy Cavalry charge led from the front I ask you?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Rockopolis posted:

C) :hist101: Charge!
3) :black101: Close Quarters Battle 
4) :horse: Heavy Lancers 

As funny as a Feudal AA unit taking down planes with javelins and bows would be, I'm going to vote for getting distracted by looting the baggage train insane cavalry bullshit.
Will we be voting on mount creation? Armored pegasi that shoot up on meth so you can stab those stupid fighter pilots?

Mounts used in this batallion are the Vallonian Sonipe, which is to say the end result of 42 thousand years of dodgy horse breeding. These aren't your regular chestnut hops, but massive stinky black chargers with webbed hooves and more than a little junk in the trunk, replace junk with Divisio Biologis tinkering, and trunk with the whatever poor horse DNA was there in the first place.

Loel posted:

SUPER EXCITE

A35

JAZZ GURL GONN PURGE SOME HERETICS :getin:

HEY GUNS posted:

yello

Maverick
Heavy Lancers
Hardened Fighters

Are the enemies hitting us or is it fleas in my war saddle? :D

Tias fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 20, 2019

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

C4 10
If we're going to be fuedal nutjobs lets take it to the max and get some heavy cav charges going. Chaos demons may look tough to a man on foot, but they die to a lance to the thorax just like everyone else.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

HEY GUNS posted:

yello

Maverick
Heavy Lancers
Hardened Fighters

this

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

JcDent posted:

I dunno, would Wallenstein be G? I'll take that

Psh, a guy who was killed by the Emperor with holy weapons? Let's be more like the notorious "Destroyer of Armies", and go A, like Gallas.

Nthing 4 and 10.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
E, 3,4

Mavrick lead calvery charges followed up by harsh hand to hand combat. Yes plz.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

C48

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

Rockopolis posted:

C) :hist101: Charge!
3) :black101: Close Quarters Battle 
4) :horse: Heavy Lancers 

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Tias posted:

Mounts used in this batallion are the Vallonian Sonipe, which is to say the end result of 42 thousand years of dodgy horse breeding. These aren't your regular chestnut hops, but massive stinky black chargers with webbed hooves and more than a little junk in the trunk, replace junk with Divisio Biologis tinkering, and trunk with the whatever poor horse DNA was there in the first place.
Webbed hooves? Like dino feet?

And if we're Space Hussars, is it the kind with the goofy pigtails and the cute Flak pelisse, or the kind with wings?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rockopolis posted:

Webbed hooves? Like dino feet?

And if we're Space Hussars, is it the kind with the goofy pigtails and the cute Flak pelisse, or the kind with wings?
dude the pigtails own

american dragoons also wore hoop earrings during our war against mexico

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
D along with 4 and 10

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
I really want
C 1 and 4.
The horse is the natural enemy of the airplane.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

G) Phlegmatic
9) Favoured Foe
11) Iron Discipline

Our forces will not flinch. They will not falter. Our enemies will know fear in the lack of ours.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Bilious, anti-armor skirmishers.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Choleric
Heavy Lancers
Close Quarters Battles

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Mavrick close quarter skirmishes would be fun. Bunch of assholes with flails bust in on your flank and clown on your troops before running off whooping.

Sidestep
May 16, 2012

E, 4, 9

I am down for some chaos smashing uhlans.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Just wanted to say you really nail the Warhammer style Tias. Do you think about it much or do you just naturally write the grim darkness of the future?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
G,7,11

We shall be space Prussia

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Rockopolis posted:

goofy pigtails

they're called cadenettes

Tias
May 25, 2008

(( Choleric edges out Maverick for the win, and doctrines are Heavy Lancers and Close Quarter Battles. Specifically, Lancers means a gain of Monomolecular Great Spears and Feudal Hunting Lance for weapons, and the ability to increase another 5-10 metres when making a Crushing Charge action, which owns . CQB means +10 to ballistic skill challenges made at close range, which is particularly handy for our assault platoons, and a grant of specialized equipment, like the Vallon-pattern Shot-Axe and Assault Plate.

Update pending..))

Apocron posted:

Just wanted to say you really nail the Warhammer style Tias. Do you think about it much or do you just naturally write the grim darkness of the future?

Thanks, this made my day after a really rough family easter :3:

I think about it a lot, and get ocassional dreams or visions of 40K warfare, it's a side effect of having read so many 40K things and playing Only War, Deathwatch, Dark Heresy and so on for over a decade.

If you like it, check out my old CYOA about the Imperial Guard :)

Tias fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 22, 2019

Tias
May 25, 2008

E: double post

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Did you say shot axe?

Sidestep
May 16, 2012

With those choices, I am kinda hoping the mounts we have are heavy enough to be ridden double. I have a wild mental image of the charge going home to have the dragoons dismount and commence to chopping while the lancers wheel and reform.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Sidestep posted:

With those choices, I am kinda hoping the mounts we have are heavy enough to be ridden double. I have a wild mental image of the charge going home to have the dragoons dismount and commence to chopping while the lancers wheel and reform.

The horses are powerful allright, but there are different Vallonite doctrines for using them. The update will cover some of these, as your Host has both dismount-oriented cavalry and those who fight in the saddle.

Tias
May 25, 2008

4. Cav Host, “Rasmos’ Riders”

Standard of the 4th Host.

The 4th is made up of nobles and their levies from Gildreach, the 16th city-state of Vallon, and commanded by the son of Gildreach’s king, Swordbearer Halmuth Warspite. On account of the training in horsemanship, lance and armour use already possessed by the conscripts, it was decided to incorporate the batallion as a combined cavalry company.

The squadrons and platoons are filled with a mix of nobles and meritous commoners. Generally it creates friction with nobles to let commoners lead, but the egalitarian practices of the Imperial Guard means some eventually will be promoted to leadership.

Commanding Officer, Sword-Baron Rasmos Warspite, is a hot-headed man whose unorthodox leadership methods have won him great acclaim leading Vallonite cavalry in the battles around the Despeo sector. Returning in relatively honourable manner after losing his entire squadron crushing traitor positions on Porvenir IX, he expects to show the same heavy, glory-seeking trends commanding the 4th Cavalry Host.

Organization Table:

quote:

HQ: Warspite (Choleric, noble), personal guard, retinue (Horn and signal operator, Standard Bearer, Medic)
- 20 lancers:
Plate Mail
Rotter Helmets
Horsemen's Flail
Horse Plate Barding
Sword
Autopistol
Cavalry Spear
Signals
Regimental Standard with

Independent personnel:
1 Commissar, Mordian-born Spencer Vasquez:
Flak, Bolt Pistol, Chainsword
3 Confessors Militant, Traxl, Heik and From, attached where necessary:
Tohönner great swords, flamers, flails, bare chests.
1 Sanctioned Psyker, Warvane Ievan Krust, and 4 minders:
Psykana mercy blades.
Staves
Flak Armor.

1. Squadron, Captain Svand Rigsskjold (Choleric, noble).
80 Hvy Lancers:
Cavalry Spear
Black Powder Pistol
Platemail & Steel Helmet
Horse Plate Barding

2. Squadron, Captain Mortin Krastensan. (Phlegmatic, commoner)
80 Hvy Lancers:
Cavalry Spear
Black Powder Pistol
Platemail & Steel Helmet
Horse Plate Barding

3. Squadron, Dismount and Light Horse, Captain Erac Oswold. (Sanguine, commoner)
60 Lgt Cavalry:
Spear
Blackpowder Pistol
Chainmail & Steel Helmet

4th. Platoon, Rifle, Lieutenant Mochael Jensan (Fixed, commoner).
150 Infantry:
Crowenson-Pattern Repeater w/ stock and dirk-lug.
Chainmail & Steel Helmet

5th, Platoon, First Sergeant Oxel Falgaard (Fixed, commoner)
150 Infantry:
Crowenson-Pattern Repeater w/ stock and dirk-lug.
Chainmail & Steel Helmet

6th Platoon, assault group, Lieutenant Motias Sunward (Maverick, noble)
150 Infantry:
Autopistol
Vallon Grenade
Mace
Assault Plate & Helmet

7th Platoon, recon and skirmish, First Sergeant Erac Vastisen (Circumspect, commoner)
50 dismounted cavalry:
Magnocular Auspex
Bow

8th Platoon, Sappers, Lieutenant Mix Kolgaard (Choleric, commoner)
100 infantry:
Axe-Spade
Satchel Charge
Grox Chain Harness
Chainmail & Steel Helmet

9th Platoon, heavy support, Master Sergeant Kam Noelsen.
5 grox carts, Assorted heavy weapons:
Chainmail & Steel Helmet
Blackpowder Pistol.
2 Mandrake Cannon in various states of decay.

Logistic Section
8 grox, 30 horses, 500 cooks, smiths and camp followers.

Finally, we need to pick equipment doctrines. We can have 1 extra, as we already have Cavalry Mounts and Extra Melee Weapons:

A) Chameleoline: Probably not so relevant for heavy cav, Chameleoline means we’ve been gifted with advanced stealth cloaks that grant near-invisibility when the user doesn’t move.

B) Combat Drugs: A favorite among thornbrothers, pit fighters and other thugs, Jær-mead is a concotion extracted from certain breeds of flower pollen by the Vallon killer bee. It reduces pain sensation, ups reaction time and agression, but is addictive and leaves the user less able after it wears off. This doctrine means we’re always supplied with it, within reason (it needs to come from Vallon, which poses problems for an inter-galactic fighting force, but we may also receive similar drugs when possible.)

C) Demolitions: With a permit from the Officio Sabatorum (the formal order of saboteurs), our batallion receives +10 on all checks to acquire obtain grenades, missiles and other explosives. This also includes specialized lance tips, which could be handy down the line.

D) Scavengers: 420 smoke lootin’ every day. Extra trained in the Vallonite art of expedient battlefield rainmaking, the regiment gets bonus to recquisition tests. However, if we roll a double, something is awry, and we risk getting in trouble (and punishment for theft in the Imperial Guard is, like all other crimes, draconian).

..and a regimental drawback:

We already possess Honour-Bound (Pride Over Life: Members of this regiment must pass a Difficult (–10) Willpower Test to refuse any formal challenge or ignore any other major slight to their honour. If a character from this regiment succeeds on the Test, he sees the bigger picture and ignores the challenge or attempt to goad him into action. If he fails on the Test, however, he must engage the individual in question (either in a duel to settle matters in a formal and stylised fashion or simply in a brawl to express himself with his fists) or suffer a –10 penalty to Willpower Tests for the remainder of the session)

but need one more:

1) Cloud of Suspicion: Warspite actions were apparently worse than we heard. The host is now under close scrutiny by Imperial authorities, someone does not like them. A siege mentality has spread throughout the regiment, along with paranoia and anxiety. Officers see spies and informants everywhere and newly conscripted guardsmen are viewed with deep suspicion and hostility as their new squad mates assume they are undercover agents with sinister purposes.

2) Dishonoured: The regiment has suffered a dishonourable defeat while members of the PDF. This gives some combat experience, but also a great sense of shame. Although it has suffered no direct sanctions or punishments as a result, each member of the regiment still feels the sting of stumbling when put to the test. As such, they are driven to succeed at all costs, that they might rid themselves of the shame of failing the God-Emperor.

3) Doomed: Luck is a fickle mistress, and for some unknown reason she seems to have turned her back on this regiment. Nothing ever seems to go right for these hard-luck troopers, and they are the very definition of the old military aphorism, “Every plan is a good plan until first contact with the Emperor’s foes.” Much needed materiel and reinforcements arrive late, incorrect, or not at all, orders are incomplete, intelligence is nearly always wrong and battlefield conditions are worse than expected, and there are a higher number of accidents and foul-ups while in the field.

4) Incompetent leadership: This regiment is a disaster from the top down, affecting the regiment’s morale and causing an excess of grief and frustration among the enlisted men. Incompetent leadership could take the form of ignorant and commanding officers, general officers more interested in their own personal political goals, indolent, permissive, or particularly savage squad leaders, thieving logistics officers, or any combination thereof. No matter its root cause, or causes as is often the case, the end result is always the same—loss of efficiency and combat effectiveness, muddled orders, poor communications, higher than usual casualties, and even mutiny and desertion.

5) Mistrusted: This regiment has a bad reputation throughout the Imperial Guard. Similar to the Cloud of Suspicion, the reasons for the mistrust might be legitimate—incompetence among officers or laziness among the enlisted are two sure-fire ways to ruin a regiment’s reputation—or could be the product of over-active imaginations or the mendaciousness of rivals. Mistrusted regiments are viewed with a deep suspicion and disapprobation when they appear on a battlefield. Many commanders flatly refuse orders to work with regiments possessed of a particularly scabrous reputation. As such, mistrusted regiments are commonly given the worst missions, those that involve extremely distasteful or dangerous work, or are shuffled off to garrison duty on some unpleasant or out of the way world where they can cause little trouble.

6)Poorly Provisioned: While the officials in the Departmento Munitorum are known far and wide for their fecklessness and capriciousness, and while every unit that has ever born arms in the Emperor’s service has suffered supply shortages and incorrect shipments at their hands, the poorly provisioned regiment is worse off than most. Perhaps the regiment is stationed on a planet far off the normal resupply lines, or they have pissed off the relevant people so often, that they are reduced to throwing chunks of rockcrete at their enemies and messing on grass and boiled boot leather.

7) Regimental Rivalry: Rivalries exist between nearly all units in the Imperial Guard. On the whole, these are mainly friendly rivalries between brothers-in-arms that express themselves in drinking contests, braggadocio, contests of escalation, and even the occasional good-natured brawl. Unfortunately, some regimental rivalries are carried too far and become less a friendly rivalry and more a seething hatred accompanied by an increasingly bitter series of confrontations and betrayals. Regimental rivalries can exist between discreet units within larger regiments such as squads or platoons, or can encompass entire regiments from the Regimental Commander all the way down to the greenest conscript. Regimental rivals take any opportunity to undermine or sabotage one another, stealing supplies, tampering with orders, duelling, spreading lies, and framing opponents for crimes.

Vote closes tomorrow night and update soon after.

e: It'll take some time before I've typed it all, but I've begun an armoury page for the 4th Host: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MWPNEH4VgTVZPNFwrHExOS34rBpCR02EWF-Qh6MVaH4/edit

Tias fucked around with this message at 12:39 on May 22, 2019

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Demolitions, Regimental Rivalry

I just foresee fun chaos in this combo.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

D6. We scavenge for a reason :v:

Sidestep
May 16, 2012

Seeing the caveat of "whoops, these goods are too hot even for infantrymen with crowbars" I am all in for:

D: Scavengers
7: Regimental Rivalry

Bonus fun points if it is with a regiment of Mordian Iron Guard, where our commissar may or may not have come from.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

D6.

The host has an... Interesting, arrangement with the Departmento Munitorum.
They don't know to ask questions, and we don't particularly care to ask where the much needed supplies are coming from either.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
demolitions and incompetent leadership. The Noble/commoner divide is super toxic in this regiment, with the noble commanders all but refusing to work with the commoners.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Demolitions, Dishonoured.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

D6

What do you mean battlefield looting is only for our opponents?

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

D6
though I'd propose that the reasoning is that it was the 4th cavalry host who our CO pissed away on Porvenir IX and it has since been reestablished, however the Departmento Munitorum never received the paperwork that it was reestablished, so we keep getting requisitions for the depleted unit. As a result battlefield scavenging has become a tool of necessity that our haughty nobles are mighty pissed about.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

C3

Wouldn't mind seeing D win though. I've got this mental image of the commander yelling at quartermasters so effectively they give us extra stuff and it makes me laugh.

3 Doomed maybe isn't the best flaw, but it'll probably make for the most interesting stories.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Roll a D6, which tells its own story.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
As funny as invisible Lancers would be...
C Demolitions
7 Regimental Rivalry
Half of everything is luck. And the other half is not short-fusing the loving explosives!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
B4

420 smoke combat drugs erry day. The officers perhaps, too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Scavengers, because looting baggage trains and sacking cities (in an organized, efficient manner) is just as important as glorious cavalry charges.
Doomed, because it is clearly the worst one of the bunch.