Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Who chaperones the chaperone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Revised

9 Heavy Cav
3 Cavalry Spear
1 Black Powder Pistol
3 Platemail & Steel Helmet
2 Horse Plate Barding

Ride around bombing things
4 Light/DM Cav
1 Spear
1 Blackpowder Pistol
2 Chainmail & Steel Helmet

3 Recon/DM Cav
2 Magnocular Auspex
1 Bow

5 Infantry Soldier
3 Crowenson-Pattern Repeater

7 Assault Soldier 
2 Autopistol
1 Vallon Grenade
1 Mace
3 Assault Plate & Helmet

9 Sapper 
2 Axe-Spade
3 Satchel Charge
2 Grox Chain Harness

3 Grox Driver 
1 Blackpowder Pistol

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I'm worried about the general infantry not having any melee weapons in this setup, maybe swap out the Grox drivers helmets to give the infantry swords at least? If we could find another point or two to get them either billhooks or billhooks and swords that'd be even better but I don't see anything else that's easy to cut. From what I understand the infantry are the bulk of our forces, we want to make sure they're properly equipped.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
You have about equal amounts infantrymen and riders, but whereas one half is mostly light cav, the other half is a lot of medium infantry and a smattering of sappers and assault groups.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Equipment

Eventually, after much debate amongst the staff, certain platoon leaders and the quarter-reeves, a solution was agreed upon:

Equipment Manifest, 4th Cavalry Host posted:

Heavy Cav
Cavalry Spear
Black Powder Pistol
Platemail & Steel Helmet
Horse Plate Barding

Ride around bombing things
Light/DM Cav
Spear
Blackpowder Pistol
Chainmail & Steel Helmet

Recon/DM Cav
Magnocular Auspex
Bow

Infantry Soldier
3 Crowenson-Pattern Repeater

Assault Soldier
Autopistol
Vallon Grenade
Mace
Assault Plate & Helmet

Sapper
Axe-Spade
Satchel Charge
Grox Chain Harness
Chainmail & Steel Helmet

Grox Driver
Chainmail & Steel Helmet
Blackpowder Pistol

Hardy line soldiers would use the favorite gun of Landsmen, the Crowenson Repeater, and wear mail to carry them safe forward. Priorities are especially given to assault and sapper troops to take and fortify the redoubts the 4th Host needs to prevail.

A Final Destination and A Gift

The Landsman One translates into Realspace, not far from the target of Gorman's World. The ship hums with activity, and nowhere more than in the decks of the 4th, beating mail and weapons into shape in field-forges, rehashing formations and learning code signals for the coming invasion.

A space in the exertions is made, however, to present the 4th with their rewards for winning the Sword Celebration! First Captain Warspite receives Greyside, a magnificient two-handed sword traditionally belonging to company masters of the 1st to 400th Landsmen regiments before the knowledge of making them was lost. This particular blade was carried by Major Äreskjold of the 350th Landsmen till he was wiped out with his entire regiment at the battle of Ykrej Primus.

Second, the company is awarded a relic, the skull of St. Jeranimus, to be worn atop the company banner. Originally carried on the neck of a firebrand preacher who channeled multiple miracles of the Emperor, it is widely believed to ensure victory in melee battles.

You know have to make a decision. Does Divisio command assign the 4th to..

A) Greenmass? A region of sprawling forests and dense hills where the insurrection is strong and contests many villages and towns.

B) Incordia, by and large the capital of the world? Stretching over a large plain, it is held by the mercenary allies of the insurrectionaries.

C) Ozen Echa, a religious complex sited at an older mining region, of great cultural significance to the Gormanite peoples and sure to be well defended?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

If our infantry actually had melee weapons A would be a safe bet.

So obviously it's C

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

A, might not be the best terrain for cavalry but sounds good for infantry (even if ours are currently underequipped), has lots of towns to loot requisition needed supplies from, and also gives us lots of cover to avoid being obliterated by artillery/machine guns/airpower which seems more important.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
B]A[/b]. Into the green!

Also loot villages.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

We suck at ranged weaponry, and that's all most of our soldiers have. Okay. Cool.

Go Green (A). At least we can make sure the people who are good at ranged are at a disadvantage too.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I'm guessing our guns are mainly built for a few volleys then fixing bayonets and turning into a decent-ish spear/club, so at least we're not gonna be trying to fight through dense forest with plastic assault rifles. Hopefully the other guys aren't quite as lucky

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Have we had a chance to use our scavenging ability yet? I assume it'll let our people find what they think they need to full the gap.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Is A really a good idea considering we have cavalry?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Apocron posted:

Is A really a good idea considering we have cavalry?

Outrail, historyologist: "in the past, calvery, particularly heavy calvery capable of crushing charges, have been highly effective in the tight quarter fighting encountered in mountains, dense forests and small feudal cities."

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Also, you're allowed to get off the horse, it's not like a party foul.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Cavalry are able to fight off horses. Feudal worlders even more so, because they're not hung up on specialized training and consider all forms of fighting a nobles purview.

That said, the grim darkness of the far future is not great for medieval knights, but what can you do

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

B

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Tias posted:

Cavalry are able to fight off horses. Feudal worlders even more so, because they're not hung up on specialized training and consider all forms of fighting a nobles purview.

That said, the grim darkness of the far future is not great for medieval knights, but what can you do

Can they fight off other things like orks and chaos monsters? If not I can't imagine we're going to fare well at all

Tias
May 25, 2008

Outrail posted:

Can they fight off other things like orks and chaos monsters? If not I can't imagine we're going to fare well at all

Our heavy cavs initial charge can fell orks or traitor marines, the point of contact does as much damage as a HE-Frag maissile or Multilaser shot. In comparison, our dismounts bows won't do squat, nor will our shotguns and autopistols, but sappers and scouts can decoy, trap and dick about heavier opposition.

Also, divisio staff knows all of this and will back you up with other regiments or heavy/air support if things get sticky and they can spare one/everyone isn't already dead

Crazycryodude posted:

I'm guessing our guns are mainly built for a few volleys then fixing bayonets and turning into a decent-ish spear/club, so at least we're not gonna be trying to fight through dense forest with plastic assault rifles. Hopefully the other guys aren't quite as lucky

It's comparable to the interwar repeater designs (the name is a pun on the Krag-Jacobsen) built for heavy wear and with a lug for the vicious knives all Vallonites carry.

Tias fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 13, 2019

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Villages and towns means opportunities for forage and cavalry is well-known for their ability to bully the common man at the behest of their bourgeois masters striking fear in rebellious masses.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
B Plains

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Vote: B) Incordia

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Not sure if this is going to be Charge of the light brigade in spaaaaaaaace, or a grim dark reenactment of Vietnam with horses. Either way this is gonna be awesome.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Vietnam but with horses, swords, and chainmail sounds incredible

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Crazycryodude posted:

The kicker being the invading force of bewildered knights are undersupplied and technologically inferior while the NVA have laser weapons and artillery.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Crazycryodude posted:

That's just 30YW.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
A Loot them like we're Hessians.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

AJ_Impy posted:

A. Loot like a Hessian, dress like a Hussar.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

AJ_Impy posted:

Ahem. We don't loot. Acquire strategic resources.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Leadership Brief

Staff and company commanders are hastily assembled in an auditorium around a large linen map held aloft by rotor-borne skulls you’ve come to known as Servo-Servants.

You learn to recognize the rough outline of Greenmass and the areas around it, largely dense forests that, at least on a piss poor map, resemble those of Vallon - as well as the general strategic situation.

Commissioner Goddig Heim Nin, formal leader of the Imperial government on the world, seems to be the initial reason for the unrest.

A fanatic Imperialist, he reversing long-standing policies of coexistence between settlers and the primitive human tribes native to the world, which hitherto had readily accepted Imperial settlements and Ecclesiarchal missionaries in their encampments. Nin then suddenly outlawed their ritual practices, and made it punishable by death and forfeiture of property to disagree with colonists.

These draconian measures quickly led to unrest, with the capable tribal scouts waylaying and murdering colonial enforcers and PDF. Reprisal expeditions led to dead tribal civilians (Nin infamously remarking ‘There are no civilians on Gorman’s World, us or theirs - The Emperor will sort it out after death’), and sparked off a spiral of violence that continues today.

Importing fresh soldiers and material, it was assumed Nin would get things under control, but somewhere around this point a splinter fleet of mercenaries involved in resisting the Indomitus Crusade made planetfall, homing in on an astropathic signal the tribes had made declaring independence. The mercenaries brought machineguns, heavy mortar tracks and laser weapons, stalling the conflict

The presence of Chaos-aligned insurgents spurred the priority level of reinforcing the planet, the pointy end of the defense of which, is your company.

Intelligence is sparse. Rebel leaders have recently declared that they will perform a ‘great spirit dance’ that will end our invasion in its tracks, so prepare for psykers among the enemy.

Rules of engagement are non-existent, though an attached agent of the Templars Psykologis (Guard Intelligence and Psyops agency) cautions you against overkill, as a hostile populace slows subjugation.

The tribal forces are largely guerilla irregulars with no weapons that can easily pierce chain and plate, though they use various poisons and traps as feudal worlders are wont to do. They field xenos cavalry, but only rarely as the beasts are hard to tame and hard to replace.

The off-worlder mercenaries are expected to rival the planetary PDF in competence, and even better equipped. Known weapons are the Decimus-pattern Heavy Stubber, Raknos-pattern Lasgun and Mars-pattern Wyvern Suppression tank.

Landing Strategy

The 4th Host has responsibility for Ilp Eitu, a large area hosting at least ten known villages.

As chance would have it, they’re ordered to..

A) ..Drop hot into an ongoing battle between insurgents and PDF. This means going without Cav, but probably routing the tribesmen rather easily.

B) ..Land and secure a drop-zone in a contested area so more regiments can land. This means tough supply situation for some weeks, but a full complement of troops.

C) ..Land in a forward base in central Ilp Eitu. This means decent supply and troops, but completely unknown enemy disposition.

Tias fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 14, 2019

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

B, we're already operating on low supplies anyways and have an advantage over other troops in that blades don't need reloading. Plus there's undoubtedly forage opportunities in the area if we really need something before the supply lines get fully established.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

B. Let's weed out some of these guys and see who's worth keeping around.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
B

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

B

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
B

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

B

Also, spirit dance? Looks like we're getting a Deadlands game going :dance:

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
B

disappointed that they're not called Serf O'Skulls

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
B, duh.

Tias, what's the go on the thread going native and joining the resistance (hail chaos?)?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Outrail posted:

B, duh.

Tias, what's the go on the thread going native and joining the resistance (hail chaos?)?

Very low at present. The 1120th is a freshly founded regiment with a full complement of commissars and priests. Also, it's staff and commander are pompous chivalric knobs who'd rather charge their light brigade into the maws of Chaos than consider treason.

Tias fucked around with this message at 08:52 on May 15, 2019

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Tias posted:

Very low at present. The 1120th is a freshly founded regiment with a full complement of commissars and priests. Also, it's staff and commander are pompous chivalric knobs who'd rather charge their light brigade into the maws of Chaos than consider treason.

Oh, well. A man can dream.

We've got frag grenades, right? We can still have our Vietnam reenactment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Vietnam but 3/4ths of your men consider grenades to be sorcery would be... actually probably quite a bit safer for the officers, carry on