Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The post-elimination stuff was so totally on brand for Corinne and I wasn’t surprised by it in the slightest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

For anyone who cares about this show still after a 2 week absence, we are getting 2 hours tonight of Team Fun!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Nice bait n switch detour

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Phil free styling with team fun...

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

For anyone who cares about this show still after a 2 week absence, we are getting 2 hours tonight of Team Fun!

I care even though I forgot about it until after the first episode was over lol

thank god for DVR :v:

I want to hear the full track they had people listening to

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Last night's episodes were good. I liked the h2h puzzle, it was easy enough that it was super unlikely for a team to fall more than a couple spots (I think outside the first h2h every team that won was the one that had just lost previously) and I wasn't a fan of how not being good at a particular thing could just completely gently caress over a team last time they did them.

Also it caught me off guard that they didn't censor Victor's reaction to getting splashed with hot oil, but :lol:

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I wish for the head-to-head they would force the team members to rotate who does it. Otherwise you get what you had this time, where everyone who had a second try at the puzzle won on it.

Also despite Janelle's epic roadblock mistake I think Britney has to go down as one of the biggest dead weight racers of all time.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ShakeZula posted:

I wish for the head-to-head they would force the team members to rotate who does it. Otherwise you get what you had this time, where everyone who had a second try at the puzzle won on it.

Also despite Janelle's epic roadblock mistake I think Britney has to go down as one of the biggest dead weight racers of all time.

Chris and Bret swapped, but yeah otherwise it seemed like everyone just went again.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

In either case it was a matter of practice and getting a look at the puzzle more than once, which made Janelle's serious nav error crippling. Because if they'd gotten to the HtH before Rachel and Elissa they'd be the ones benefiting from the second try and probably would have won it, even with Britney doing it.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

Chris and Bret swapped, but yeah otherwise it seemed like everyone just went again.

I think the Afganimals swapped out too.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
it's absolutely astounding how much colin and christie seem to have improved as people

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Riptor posted:

it's absolutely astounding how much colin and christie seem to have improved as people

I think they're more obnoxious now, tbh.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

No chance

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

It all comes down, as with much of this show, to the editing. If you get a Villain Edit, as Colin clearly did back on season 5, then all moments where you took things in stride are binned and you're only shown being an abusive rear end in a top hat. Yes, he did these things but that isn't all he did back then, but that is all we were shown, because the story arc the editors chose for him was "loud obnoxious rear end in a top hat".

This season they're going with the "rear end in a top hat redeemed by the power of love and/or meditation" so we either see Colin really calm, or we see him tense up but then check himself. Did he actually lose his cool a couple of times but they ignored it in favor of the new narrative? Beats me, we'll never know for sure. :shrug:

Never forget that they have hours and hours of footage of every team for each leg and only a few minutes actually make it into the show. With that much to sift through its easy to tell the story that you like best.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think the obnoxious part is 'we used to be so mad but now we're so zen, so much better'.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I much preferred the head to head this week over the ones from last season. Overall I'm not sure how I feel about them though.
I'd be curious to see how the head to heads work in an episode where a team take the 4 hour penalty for not doing a task, or where they're significantly hours behind and Phil goes to eliminate them mid task after everyone else has checked in.

On another note, I'm re-watching some old seasons that I missed. iTunes only has seasons 16 and previous in SD, is there anywhere to get them in at least 720 or do they just not exist? And is there any must see seasons (I've seen most from 17 onwards)

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

They didn't film in HD prior to that so I think you're outta luck

Season 5 is particularly good

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Riptor posted:

They didn't film in HD prior to that so I think you're outta luck

Season 5 is particularly good

Yeah, I assumed as much for the much earlier seasons, but since season 16 was only in 2010 I thought it would have been aired in both SD and HD. But if it's only available SD anywhere thats okay, I just didn't want to waste my time looking for it in HD if it doesn't exist.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Tea Bone posted:

And is there any must see seasons (I've seen most from 17 onwards)

The first season is a good choice, because you can see the show before they really had a handle on how things would/should work. There's a lot of crazy poo poo that happens in season one that never happens again, and its fun to compare the current races to where the show began all those years ago.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Tea Bone posted:

And is there any must see seasons (I've seen most from 17 onwards)

A few that I remember enjoying:

7 (great finish. Also has Rob/Amber from Survivor)
11 (All-Stars. Save it if you want to watch the previous seasons I guess, but enjoyable enough on its own. If you want to watch all the original teams, they're from 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 9, 10).
12 (has an amazing journey by one team)
14 (has no less than five teams that would return in the future)
15 (some pretty amazing/terrible teams)
16 (has one of the most popular teams in the show up til the Afghanimals)

You've already seen 17, but it's probably still worth a rewatch if you have the time for it.

Honestly, the 12-17 stretch is pretty great. 21 also has one of my favourite teams in TAR history. 25 is pretty good just for the finish.

I kind of lost interest halfway through 26 (that's when they started getting a bit gimmicky), and didn't pick up the show again til this season.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I definitely recommend 3, 5, and 7. I also enjoy 13, if only to see one of the most hilariously incompetent teams ever.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I kind of lost interest halfway through 26 (that's when they started getting a bit gimmicky), and didn't pick up the show again til this season.

You ought to check out Season 29. It has a gimmick that sounds absolutely terrible (every team is made up of strangers picked schoolyard style), but it somehow works to be the best season in a long time.

Andorra fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 29, 2019

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Yea, season 29 was very enjoyable. And not only because of Team Fun.

R to the J
Sep 2, 2004

The biggest e-penis of them all!
Season 12 also has one of the greatest/hardest finale tasks ever.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Congrats to Rachel for being the worst Amazing Race competitor and also soon to be holding the most legs record... that will probably last forever because CBS seems to think the show deserves to just be filler for their poo poo shows that didnt make it.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Also a U-Turn vote... lol...

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

R to the J posted:

Season 12 also has one of the greatest/hardest finale tasks ever.

I think that was the first time the race really demanded observation of tiny details throughout the whole race and it just caught everyone by surprise.

Teams these days now expect a big memory challenge near the end, but they did away with those.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Okay, that might have been one of my favourite episodes in a long while? There was drama during travel. Some amazing scenery. Some great silly and relaxing moments (Tyler & Korey just appreciating the male form during the leg, Colin's goofy 3-second spy moment out of the helicopter). Just about every team was having fun and taking in the sights. Direction drama. And of course, mat drama.

And I'm even more revved up for the next leg, that twist sounds fun. TAR actually made me look forward to next week again.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I thought the leg itself was kind of weak, in that there were so few chances for teams to pass each other (especially since most of them did the "one at a time, guide-led canyon walk" detour), but the episode was great. My only real complaint is that it kept Tyler and Korey in front because they are so boring.

Rachel reverting to her worst Big Brother behaviors on the same leg where they establish her as basically the most experienced racer of all time is hilarious.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah the leg itself wasn't amazing (if the memory puzzle was a forced task, maybe), but otherwise the episode was pretty great.

I'm not big on Rachel either (seriously, how has she survived that many legs, she's not a good Racer), but she provided some good drama this week at least.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
someone's excited, random lady not really

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I love their guide there...

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

So yeah, Phil's a quick killer. If you're out, he tells you immediately. If he didn't end his greeting to you with "...you have been eliminated from the race" then it's non-elim. He only let's you twist in the wind if he's gonna rescue you with good news at the end.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm glad that one was non-elimination because it seemed like the only real opportunity to pass someone was at the drive to the finish, and even getting the mountain tram one correct first try wasn't enough to pick up ground on the other racers.

Switzerland looks loving beautiful though.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Multiple teams being like, uhh our flight is in six hours? gently caress it lets have a beer seemed like something from the very early seasons of the show and they would do well to start including stuff like that again

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

what happened to Rachel's chest, Jesus

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The public U-Turn vote was some crazy nonsense. Thought they would at least make it Survivor style :P

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
If my calculations are correct, Leo and Jamal can break Rachel's record if they finish the race.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Big McHuge posted:

If my calculations are correct, Leo and Jamal can break Rachel's record if they finish the race.

Hopefully. gently caress Rachel.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Thank god. That is the best possible way that could have gone.

This episode cements it. Were it not for the ever detestable Jonathan, Rachel might be my least favorite person to have ever appeared on this show, and even then it's close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
‘I choose you Pokemon!!!!!’

Well that made me laugh.

Also, good riddance Rachel.