Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

I think I’m rooting for Colin and Christie, which is a trip ‘cause I hated them their first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I thought it was kinda amusing how at the U-Turn the teams went, 'yeah, the Afghanimals are almost definitely U-Turning somebody, we'll let them take the heat for it'.

They're doing so much worse the third time round, it's like they absorbed whatever cockroach power Rachel had when she got eliminated.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Andorra posted:

I'm surprised Becca & Floyd are so liked here. I found them annoying in both seasons.

You hate fun

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I think normally, the teams that try to be super enthusiastic are annoying and poo poo. But Becca and Floyd just always make it work in a way that really seems so genuine and I don't see how it's possible to not like them. Especially when they are just a random pair from a previous season that hadn't met prior.

Even this episode, you could see Becca get frustrated and start to lose it, but they still brought it back and kept going. So many teams blow up far more than, "I could smash the egg on your face" (Probably misquoted)

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

garthoneeye posted:

I think I’m rooting for Colin and Christie, which is a trip ‘cause I hated them their first time.

It's absolutely bizarre. At least once an episode I will proclaim, "Oh God damnit. Colin is being genuine isn't he? He really is just an intense dude who is living life to the fullest."

He reminds me of Nathaniel from Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. "I'm nice now"

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
I like Nic/Vic more than I thought I would, but he's clearly carrying them and I'd be disappointed if they win.

I didn't take Becca saying she wanted to smash the egg in his face as 100% serious.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

I'm not an afghanimals fan, but seeing how giddy he was at solving the puzzle was kind of adorable.

E: I have a nightmare at least once a week about not being able to turn the dial right to open my locker in school, so I can barely watch Leo (Jamal?) right now

SteveVizsla fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 27, 2019

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

I have altered my retirement plans. Pray I do not alter them any further.
I miss the challenges where they had to remember weird facts about the pitstops, but building the drumset was ok. I'm super glad for Collin and Christie. It's ridiculous how much Collin has grown up and I'm really happy for him.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

I agree, I miss the super hard challenge at the end, but it did feel like these were a bit harder than they've been lately (not the football bowling thing, wtf). It just ended up being really good racers who were able to overcome them. I'm a bit disappointed Tyler and Korey didn't win, but Collin had a fantastic redemption arc and their lifestyle change felt genuine; I think CBS would have used any footage of them getting angry. The afghanimals handled their breakdown and loss much, much more graciously than I expected.

I ended up having a pretty hard time watching the ending. My best friend passed away in January and one of her absolute favorite things was watching videos of big groups of people play Seven Nation Army. I wasn't expecting to cry watching reality tv!

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Having Colin and Christie go full crazy and speak telepathically with the drum set was a great supernatural twist that I didn't see coming. That's some Twin Peaks Season 1 poo poo.

(Still happy they won.)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

That was a good finale. Bummer for Tyler and Corey and Nic and Vic but at least I got a hilarious Afghanimals meltdown.

Also even though they were my third choice going into the finale I'm still pretty satisfied with Colin and Christie winning.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah this was an alright season. Once again the team I wanted to win came in second place, but I'm okay with the winners for once.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Colin and Christie are pretty weird now but I'm happy for them. Although I was about to change my tide on them when Christie was being lovely with that cab driver.

bigE
Nov 26, 2004

Oh, ye of little faith.
https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/cbs-suspends-amazing-race-production-coronavirus-fears-1203519026/

Season 32 was filmed at the end of 2018 (!), but I wonder what will happen to this one...

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

In case you are interested and not paying attention the newest (filmed in 2018 per bigE^) season is 3 episodes in. It's already weird seeing americans barge around airports and dive into crowds again. It's nice having all new teams. There's no one I really dislike, some of the challenges have been interesting, and boy howdy did the show get mileage out of its "somebody done screwed up" sound effect this past episode.

Did anyone who watched on tv notice if Phil announced when it was filmed or said anything about covid? I've watched on the CBS app and it jumps right into the show and hasn't said anything to the point where I can see some people getting confused about the crowds and lack of masks.

bagrada fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 1, 2020

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Yeah the new season is good

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
They've said nothing about covid on the show and I only know why and when it was filmed because of this thread.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Before the premiere they had a disclaimer that it was filmed preCovid, but not specifically that it was THAT long ago.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
So is anyone actually watching this? It's been a pretty amazing season so far.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I missed the first couple of episodes or so but I have been enjoying it so far.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
It's pretty solid, but the same complaint applies about lacking the charm the original seasons had now that everything is so tightly planned, losing the airport drama and the possibility of teams being hours/days behind for multiple legs at once. I get why it has to be that way, but it still loses something from it and every leg feels samey now. The editing also seems to feel more "rushed" nowadays, but it's hard to quantify why. I should give a much older season like 5 or 6 a rewatch to compare.

Still enjoying it so far. Even at its worst (which to clarify, this isn't) TAR is great.

edit: All Access doesn't have prior seasons? Why the gently caress am i even subscribed to this poo poo service
editedit: on prime. neat

MisterZimbu fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 19, 2020

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I’m really enjoying the season so far. I was shocked the sisters lost to the blondes in Paris. But the legs have been pretty fun and enjoyable to watch.

I don’t think the siblings are going to last much longer.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I just got caught up on this season last night and am really enjoying it. Something about the boyfriends rubs me the wrong way but other than that I like every team left. Hung and Chee are super wholesome and I hope they win.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

DeAngelo and Gary have consistently called Chee "Choo"

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I've been liking this season a lot, even if I always find the idea of alliances in AR to be annoying. At this point it's pretty clear that Gary and DeAngelo at least would have been toast a long time ago if not for their alliance, but I haven't felt like any of the eliminations thus far have been undeserved. It was very stupid on this past episode though when the other teams convinced the blondes to use the Yield, and then acted like they were puppetmasters or something. Congratulations, you've sown dissension between the only two teams left that aren't in your giant alliance, and you did it when those two teams were comfortably at the back of the pack. What a move.

At any rate this season is a much-needed palate cleanser after the disastrous Big Brother season.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

ShakeZula posted:

I've been liking this season a lot, even if I always find the idea of alliances in AR to be annoying. At this point it's pretty clear that Gary and DeAngelo at least would have been toast a long time ago if not for their alliance, but I haven't felt like any of the eliminations thus far have been undeserved. It was very stupid on this past episode though when the other teams convinced the blondes to use the Yield, and then acted like they were puppetmasters or something. Congratulations, you've sown dissension between the only two teams left that aren't in your giant alliance, and you did it when those two teams were comfortably at the back of the pack. What a move.

At any rate this season is a much-needed palate cleanser after the disastrous Big Brother season.

I think it was more that the boyfriends hated Leo and Alana for some reason that wasn't really clear aside from Cattyness and thought it would be hilarious if their only allies betrayed them.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Victorkm posted:

I think it was more that the boyfriends hated Leo and Alana for some reason that wasn't really clear aside from Cattyness and thought it would be hilarious if their only allies betrayed them.

The volleyball bros did it too, they were like "Divide and conquer!" while the boyfriends were like "Plant those seeds!" They were definitely treating it as some kind of master strategy.

And from what I can tell the boyfriends don't like Leo/Alana because they survived their U-Turn attempt and didn't let the boyfriends do the whole "you're just such a big threat" half-apology when they saw them again. And I guess because Leo didn't troubleshoot their manual transmission problem?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

The boyfriends are so utterly hosed when this dumb alliance inevitably dissolves

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
They also didn't like Leo/Alana because they saved the sisters over the Olympians, their logic that the Olympians would have been a stronger team later on which could have been used to knock out other stronger teams.

Of course, that logic only flies if they're so confident that they're so strong that the Olympians could never get the boyfriends themselves out.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Much respect to the producers for having a challenge which consisted of "reach into an old woman's mouth"

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
I enjoy this cast mostly...but for me the alliance has messed up a lot. I felt like the first couple episodes were good and there's been a decline in quality since the alliance has removed a lot of the competitiveness of the legs.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

that one guy posted:

I enjoy this cast mostly...but for me the alliance has messed up a lot. I felt like the first couple episodes were good and there's been a decline in quality since the alliance has removed a lot of the competitiveness of the legs.

yeah the double episode this week really dragged because of it I think.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

All we can really hope for now is for the two teams that have been cast out of the "true" alliance to surprise and make it to the finale, but I don't really see it happening. There's just too much boring competence with the other three that combined with actively helping each other makes it extremely hard to boot one of them. It'd basically take a catastrophic taxi situation at this point.

I guess the best I can hope for at this point for winner is Hung/Chee. The volleyball bros are just so bland, and the boyfriends are an easy choice for a return down the line, plus those two teams are the ones that have annoyed me the most with the alliance/mastermind stuff.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I've enjoyed this season. There was no one I really disliked or would have hated to see win. I was rooting for the blondies going up against the big alliance, but those 2 timeouts in 1 leg really left them no chance. They were very positive throughout the race even when things were going horribly, so I wouldn't mind them coming back.

I'm guessing the core 3 will be the final 3 as they have been the most competent racers this season.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I think it's time they retire (or at least re-format) the U-Turn and Yield. The current meta (which is probably optimal) of using it on the last place team to keep them in last place sucks all the fun out of the episode.

The U-Turn Vote last season was the only interesting iteration of this mechanic that I can remember in the last several years. This was partly because it was fun seeing Big Brother / Survivor players participating in a vote, but more importantly the vote happened before the leg so they couldn't just U-turn the last place team.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

I don't know, I always like the U-Turn. If you're quick enough, or another team is bad enough it's not a death sentence. And I guess the same is true for the Yield, but the Yield is just boring. Oh wait 20 minutes for a timer to pop is bleh. At least with a U-Turn there's some excitement to see how it plays out.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

I don’t mind the u-turn, but I hate the double u-turn. I think the u-turn is a potentially interesting way to harm a stronger team, but the fact that the u-turned team still has the opportunity to use the other part of the double before they have to complete the other detour saps a lot of the potential interest.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

The Yield is new this season, right? I don't think it's been too much of a success, and I expect it'll probably quietly go away.

As for the U-Turn, it's tricky, because while it's definitely become a little formulaic, it's also a really valuable part of the race and I can't really think of a better way to handle it. I really hated the way the beard bros used it, but in a season without the alliance problem that this one has that likely wouldn't be a logical move for any team in their position to make, so I'm not too worried about it going forward.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ShakeZula posted:

The Yield is new this season, right? I don't think it's been too much of a success, and I expect it'll probably quietly go away.

As for the U-Turn, it's tricky, because while it's definitely become a little formulaic, it's also a really valuable part of the race and I can't really think of a better way to handle it. I really hated the way the beard bros used it, but in a season without the alliance problem that this one has that likely wouldn't be a logical move for any team in their position to make, so I'm not too worried about it going forward.

With how successful the mine five alliance was I would expect big alliances to be more common than not going forward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ShakeZula posted:

The Yield appeared in earlier seasons, but it had a bit more of an impact back when minutes would determine placements. These days usually 20-40 minutes isn't enough for someone to overcome a serious deficit.