Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

:siren: Spoilers? As the title says, this is a blind playthrough, so no story-related spoilers. That being said, anything covered in one of my videos no longer counts as a spoiler. Hints for side content or other tips are also fine. Any spoilers for Yakuza 0 or Yakuza Kiwami are also allowed. :siren:

Yakuza is a Sega series about Kiryu Kazuma, a member of the Tojo Clan and the general dealings of the Yakuza, if a bit more dramatic and over-the-top. The series had its start in 2005 where Toshihiro Nagoshi produced Ryū ga Gotoku (Like a Dragon) for the PlayStation 2 which became known as "Yakuza" when released in the west. Almost exactly a year later in December of 2006, the first sequel of the series, Yakuza 2, got released for the PlayStation 2. Like the first game, this too would eventually get a complete revamp down the line. In December of 2017, Yakuza Kiwami 2 was released in Japan for the PlayStation 4, with a worldwide release in August the following year. The game follows the direct aftermath of the events from the first game, taking place a year later as things aren't going so well for the Tojo Clan, and of course it's up to Kiryu to help solve the problem. The new release offered a complete graphics overhaul, new substories, as well as a unique Majima experience never seen in the original game. I will be doing a live, blind playthrough of this game.

I do not plan to do a 100% playthrough, though I will try and complete all the substories.

Can the Tojo Clan not suck for just one year?:
Part 1 - Daigo Dojima
Part 2 - Ryuji Goda
Part 3 - Cabaret Club Grand Prix
Part 4 - Be My Baby
Part 5 - Mock Interviews and Photography
Part 6 - President of Majima Construction
Part 7 - The Three Musketeers
Part 8 - Genichiro Tenryu
Part 9 - Chono and Mutoh Defeated
Part 10 - The Amano Building
Part 11 - Fresh League Championship
Part 12 - Paradise League Championship
Part 13 - Executive League Championship
Part 14 - Millionaire League Championship
Part 15 - Cabaret Final Battle
Part 16 - Rescuing Daigo
Part 17 - Another Funeral Ruined
Part 18 - Yakuza Sunset 4
Part 19 - Takashi's Love Life
Part 20 - The Man With the Dragon Tattoo
Part 21 - Haruka Kidnapped
Part 22 - Osaka Castle
Part 23 - Majima Saga Chapter 1
Part 24 - Majima Saga Chapter 2
Part 25 - Majima Saga Chapter 3
Part 26 - The Amon Clan
Part 27 - Sayama's Origins
Part 28 - The Go-Ryu March
Part 29 - Dragon vs. Dragon

TheLoneStar fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

(Reserving a post, just in case.)

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Glad you're continuing the series. Kiwami 2 was a decent game, an improvement on the original in some ways. In others, it was not an improvement, they cut several entertaining missions (including the one where you get to trigger this scene, come on!). Hope you enjoy it, I'll watch your videos and comment where I feel I should.

Yakuza 2 is in some ways one of the better plotted games in the series. Yet if there is a weak crazy plot included in it, the whole inclusion of the foreign gang definitely qualifies. You'll see why this is as you play through the game, I won't go into it. Basic idea- recall how Kiwami 1 had 3 main antagonists? Nishiki, the friend turned enemy. Shimano, the guy who was always a jerk. And Jingu, the jerk on the periphery whom you were never really sure what was going on with them? This game puts a foreign mafia group in the Jingu slot. And naturally, their inclusion involves a lot of Japanese racist overtones and mysterious "we want vengeance" crud that in my opinion the game doesn't need. There's also the whole Oriental concept of losing/gaining face involved. But it's there. For much of the game, I just had to push it aside and insert the idea- "These guys are trying to kill me! Let's beat them up!" That plot is enough for me.

Some things I should tell you to help it all make more sense-

- Mafia families honor their founder by keeping his surname as the family name, no matter who's in charge at the moment. This is how you end up with John Gotti, head of the Gambino family. It's the same in the Yakuza. Hence why the Kazama family is still called such even with Kashiwagi in charge. He could split off from the Kazama family and form his own, but there are all sorts of Oriental loyalty ideals preventing that. Even if he did, he'd still end up a pariah like Majima, who will forever be known as the Mad Dog of the Shimano Family, even though he is now head of his own Majima Family. Shimano and Dojima are gone, but their followers and reputations remain. Hence why Daigo still has so much influence in the Tojo clan. Ditto for Kiryu, come to think of it.

- In the original continuity of the series, Dojima was the Chairman of the Tojo Clan. But they retconned things because he turned out to be a dishonorable jerk when they wrote Zero. Oriental face rearing its head. And like a lot of Japanese series, Yakuza writers aren't very good at retconning.

- In the world of the Yakuza, a Chairman can do no wrong and is forever held up as a great hero of the organization. So Kiryu will always have honor and respect among the Tojo Clan, as will his heirs. Even if he doesn't want the position and doesn't want to do anything to fix the problems in the clan except when he must. Like Kiryu. Our hero's goal in this game is simple- the clan's in disarray again. I could lead it and fix things, but... nah, I don't need that kind of stress. Braver people than me- Terada, and now Lady Dojima- can have the job. Daigo too, once I convince him to take it and help him consolidate power a bit. I also really should prevent this war with the Omi too. Oh, and there are also a bunch of crazy foreign mafia guys involved? I guess I'll beat them up as well.

- The most forceful personality tends to take charge in organized crime groups when they're in disarray. Right now in the Tojo Clan that's Lady Dojima. But she's still only recognized as a temporary Chairman because she's a woman. Stupid sexism. I think her plan all along was to get Daigo in charge, which is being accomplished now that Kiryu's involved again.

- A year has passed since the last game. What Kiryu has been doing in that year isn't exactly clear, other than isolating himself and raising Haruka. Good thing he's independently wealthy from his real estate days.

- Majima's around. He just isn't in the plot yet and won't be for a while. But it will be great once he comes back.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
You should up the gamma, not the brightness. Right now the game looks real bad as you've noticed, it's clipping the gently caress out of the highlights.
That's assuming gamma is programmed to be actually gamma because the brightness isn't behaving like the "brightness" control normally does in CRTs (black level) or LCDs (backlight) but more like contrast (white level) in CRTs.

In other technical nit-picking, game audio is way too low in the mix.

The lockers are in Bishamon bridge. I also gave priority to the EXP gain and digestion stats early on but couldn't tell you if that's optimal or not. Seemed to work well enough for me.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

achtungnight posted:

Glad you're continuing the series. Kiwami 2 was a decent game, an improvement on the original in some ways. In others, it was not an improvement, they cut several entertaining missions (including the one where you get to trigger this scene, come on!). Hope you enjoy it, I'll watch your videos and comment where I feel I should.

Yakuza 2 is in some ways one of the better plotted games in the series. Yet if there is a weak crazy plot included in it, the whole inclusion of the foreign gang definitely qualifies. You'll see why this is as you play through the game, I won't go into it. Basic idea- recall how Kiwami 1 had 3 main antagonists? Nishiki, the friend turned enemy. Shimano, the guy who was always a jerk. And Jingu, the jerk on the periphery whom you were never really sure what was going on with them? This game puts a foreign mafia group in the Jingu slot. And naturally, their inclusion involves a lot of Japanese racist overtones and mysterious "we want vengeance" crud that in my opinion the game doesn't need. There's also the whole Oriental concept of losing/gaining face involved. But it's there. For much of the game, I just had to push it aside and insert the idea- "These guys are trying to kill me! Let's beat them up!" That plot is enough for me.

Some things I should tell you to help it all make more sense-

- Mafia families honor their founder by keeping his surname as the family name, no matter who's in charge at the moment. This is how you end up with John Gotti, head of the Gambino family. It's the same in the Yakuza. Hence why the Kazama family is still called such even with Kashiwagi in charge. He could split off from the Kazama family and form his own, but there are all sorts of Oriental loyalty ideals preventing that. Even if he did, he'd still end up a pariah like Majima, who will forever be known as the Mad Dog of the Shimano Family, even though he is now head of his own Majima Family. Shimano and Dojima are gone, but their followers and reputations remain. Hence why Daigo still has so much influence in the Tojo clan. Ditto for Kiryu, come to think of it.

- In the original continuity of the series, Dojima was the Chairman of the Tojo Clan. But they retconned things because he turned out to be a dishonorable jerk when they wrote Zero. Oriental face rearing its head. And like a lot of Japanese series, Yakuza writers aren't very good at retconning.

- In the world of the Yakuza, a Chairman can do no wrong and is forever held up as a great hero of the organization. So Kiryu will always have honor and respect among the Tojo Clan, as will his heirs. Even if he doesn't want the position and doesn't want to do anything to fix the problems in the clan except when he must. Like Kiryu. Our hero's goal in this game is simple- the clan's in disarray again. I could lead it and fix things, but... nah, I don't need that kind of stress. Braver people than me- Terada, and now Lady Dojima- can have the job. Daigo too, once I convince him to take it and help him consolidate power a bit. I also really should prevent this war with the Omi too. Oh, and there are also a bunch of crazy foreign mafia guys involved? I guess I'll beat them up as well.

- The most forceful personality tends to take charge in organized crime groups when they're in disarray. Right now in the Tojo Clan that's Lady Dojima. But she's still only recognized as a temporary Chairman because she's a woman. Stupid sexism. I think her plan all along was to get Daigo in charge, which is being accomplished now that Kiryu's involved again.

- A year has passed since the last game. What Kiryu has been doing in that year isn't exactly clear, other than isolating himself and raising Haruka. Good thing he's independently wealthy from his real estate days.

- Majima's around. He just isn't in the plot yet and won't be for a while. But it will be great once he comes back.
I would sure hope it's an improvement over the original. After all, it's supposed to be Kiwami now.

Well, I'll just have to see about the Chinese group as I go along and judge it for myself. I remember finding it questionable how that Chinese assassin guy looked in Yakuza 0, but didn't know if I was just being paranoid or not.

Okay, that all makes sense. I was also thinking about how Kiryu being the Dragon of Dojima even after not being under Dojima when he unlocked that Style in Yakuza 0. I can't actually recall if Kiryu was called that in Kiwami or not, though.

That makes more sense, yeah. I was wondering why the son of some grubby rear end in a top hat who was a huge pain in the Tojo Clan's rear end would be considered for the next chairman.

Gonna of a weird situation, but alright. I can almost imagining the Yakuza higher-ups reminiscing about Kiryu's time as Chairman. "I tell ya what, he sure could book it." Honestly Kiryu should just be honorary Chairman at this point, though not quite having the job proper. Dude has to do loving everything, it seems. Of course he is the protagonist, so...

I thought she was temporary because she's not an actual member of the Yakuza, just the widow of one. Though I can say it's probably best that the person that threatens people with a sword at the slightest argument is not going to truly lead the Tojo Clan.

It's like I said in the video, he's been getting therapy after being traumatized by Majima's stalking and ambushes.

Oh I'm sure he'll be great. Looking forward to his debut in this game, I bet it'll be a treat.

Storm One posted:

You should up the gamma, not the brightness. Right now the game looks real bad as you've noticed, it's clipping the gently caress out of the highlights.
That's assuming gamma is programmed to be actually gamma because the brightness isn't behaving like the "brightness" control normally does in CRTs (black level) or LCDs (backlight) but more like contrast (white level) in CRTs.

In other technical nit-picking, game audio is way too low in the mix.

The lockers are in Bishamon bridge. I also gave priority to the EXP gain and digestion stats early on but couldn't tell you if that's optimal or not. Seemed to work well enough for me.
Alright, I'll fiddle about with the gamma setting, see if I can't get things fixed up.

And I dunno, I can hear the game's audio just fine personally. Is this an issue for anyone else?

Alright, thank you for the information. Unless explicitly told otherwise, I'll prioritize EXP Gain like I had planned.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Remember the time when Kiryu became the fourth chairman for less than a day and gives the title of the fifth chairman to some guy he barely knew AND from a rival clan no less? Yeah... Turns out, it wasn't such a good idea overall. Good job there Kiryu.

The combat in 6 and Kiwami 2 is pretty different from the combat in 0 and Kiwami 1. The combat feels more physics based. The characters feels like they're sliding in some ice skating rink or something. Hitting the opponent with heavy attacks will send them flying and ragdolls them. So there's less need for tight dodging against enemy's attacks, just send them all flying. It's fun, especially so when they ended up suffering ragdoll related glitch.

The game seems to favor heavy attacks and charged attacks in combat. Those attack sends the enemy flying like 10 feet away and that's fun. Hitting blocking enemies will break your combo. My favorite attack is the charged dropkick that's so powerful it can even send tigers flying away and heavy sweeping kicks that knocks down every enemies in front of Kiryu. I don't the combination for that attacks though since I can't play that game yet because it hasn't been released on Steam yet.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Your Everyday NEET posted:

Remember the time when Kiryu became the fourth chairman for less than a day and gives the title of the fifth chairman to some guy he barely knew AND from a rival clan no less? Yeah... Turns out, it wasn't such a good idea overall. Good job there Kiryu.

The combat in 6 and Kiwami 2 is pretty different from the combat in 0 and Kiwami 1. The combat feels more physics based. The characters feels like they're sliding in some ice skating rink or something. Hitting the opponent with heavy attacks will send them flying and ragdolls them. So there's less need for tight dodging against enemy's attacks, just send them all flying. It's fun, especially so when they ended up suffering ragdoll related glitch.

The game seems to favor heavy attacks and charged attacks in combat. Those attack sends the enemy flying like 10 feet away and that's fun. Hitting blocking enemies will break your combo. My favorite attack is the charged dropkick that's so powerful it can even send tigers flying away and heavy sweeping kicks that knocks down every enemies in front of Kiryu. I don't the combination for that attacks though since I can't play that game yet because it hasn't been released on Steam yet.
I know he was the Chairman and all, but I'm still surprised he was allowed to name someone from the Omi Alliance the head of the Tojo Clan like that. And, honestly, I don't think Terada really proved enough trustworthiness to take the job. If anyone, Kashiwagi was the appropriate choice.

Oh, I can feel it. Things feel...looser, kind of slippery. Not necessarily bad, but it's weird to see. That one throwing move really is broken, especially since I start the game with it. Big crowds don't mean much when I can hit most of them at once so easily.

So...I'm going to be fighting a tiger, huh? Some sort of coliseum fuckery, I'm guessing? I know there was a bear in Yakuza 0 that could be fought, so not too big of a shock.

Part 2 - Ryuji Goda

Things escalate pretty drat quickly here. Already a terrorist-type attack in Kamurocho and I've gotten to fight Goda so early on. It was at that point where I realized how dumb it was to put so much focus into prioritizing those experience boost abilities, and I'll hold off on those for a while now. In the end, I still managed to defeat Goda in one try, so I consider it a victory overall. The lack of HEAT attacks I can do in an open area without weapons really screwed me over, and I'm sure if I had been smarter, I could've avoided all this difficulty. I'm interested in learning about Goda's past, since I'm sure it will be an interesting one, along with what the deal with the "Yakuza Huntress" is. My guess being someone dear to her was killed by someone in the Tojo Clan. Only real gripe at this point is the substories have been pretty lame aside from the male modeling one which was hilarious. I know these are the first batch of substories and all, but they've been so vanilla and basic thus far and I don't remember it being the case, at least not so strongly, in the other two games. Of course I'm confident as things go on, they'll improve greatly.

Oh, and I'm also really glad that each story boss has a unique finisher. That's what I was expecting the Essence of Extreme HEAT to be in the first Kiwami game, with the non-story bosses getting more generic ones.

TheLoneStar fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 22, 2019

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The original Yakuza 2 had a coliseum tournament where you fought a white tiger, a red tiger, and then a lion in succession. Not sure if that made it over to the remake.

Chairman- I would have picked Majima. Wouldn't that have been great?

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Yakuza 2 is very well known for being the game where Kiryu defeat tigers. SEGA also knew that, so they put the screenshot of Kiryu Tiger Kicking a Tiger as one of the screenshot in Kiwami 2 Steam page.

As I thought, the combat is fun. Seeing those poor chump gets thrown several feet away is way more fun than using HEAT Action on them.

I think I know now how to use my favorite moves. The heavy sweeping kick is light-light-heavy-heavy combo. It's fun seeing Kiryu knocks down every enemy on front of him with the sweep kick and launch them like 30 feet away with the double finisher. And the charged Dropkick I think is using combo finishers with charged heavy attack in the middle of combo.

Note: my info may be wrong since I haven't played it yet and it's only from my observation.

I see the Multi Stage Battle is just as fun as ever. It's especially so when you're now able to ragdoll enemies. Though I guess you can't instant kill furniture wielding enemies with Essence of Self Destruct. Still, it's funny watching Kiryu gets turned into a ragdoll after suffering heavy attacks.

So, you still need to put up an effort against boss fights since it isn't a ragdoll show like fighting regular goons. This should be fun.

Ryuji is a great villain and is considered Kiryu's true rival. Compared to Akira Nishikiyama, he has more screentime, he is fought multiple times throughout the game, and his final boss fight is really good since Kiryu fight against his equal like the fight against the original Dragon of Dojima. I probably won't use any healing items and weapons in the final boss fight against.

Yes. Ryuji is the final boss. Like Kiwami 1, the rivalry between the 2 Dragons is made clear from the very beginning. It isn't until Yakuza 3 onward does the game starts to hide as of who the final boss is like the case with the original Dragon of Dojima from 0.

achtungnight posted:

The original Yakuza 2 had a coliseum tournament where you fought a white tiger, a red tiger, and then a lion in succession. Not sure if that made it over to the remake.

Yes. The various tigers are still there in the colloseum.

Your Everyday NEET fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Apr 24, 2019

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

achtungnight posted:

Chairman- I would have picked Majima. Wouldn't that have been great?
Imagine Majima Everywhere, but with the Tojo Clan at his beck and call to mess with Kiryu.

Yakuza 2 is very well known for being the game where Kiryu defeat tigers. SEGA also knew that, so they put the screenshot of Kiryu Tiger Kicking a Tiger as one of the screenshot in Kiwami 2 Steam page.

As I thought, the combat is fun. Seeing those poor chump gets thrown several feet away is way more fun than using HEAT Action on them.

I think I know now how to use my favorite moves. The heavy sweeping kick is light-light-heavy-heavy combo. It's fun seeing Kiryu knocks down every enemy on front of him with the sweep kick and launch them like 30 feet away with the double finisher. And the charged Dropkick I think is using combo finishers with charged heavy attack in the middle of combo.

Note: my info may be wrong since I haven't played it yet and it's only from my observation.

I see the Multi Stage Battle is just as fun as ever. It's especially so when you're now able to ragdoll enemies. Though I guess you can't instant kill furniture wielding enemies with Essence of Self Destruct. Still, it's funny watching Kiryu gets turned into a ragdoll after suffering heavy attacks.

Ryuji is a great villain and is considered Kiryu's true rival. Compared to Akira Nishikiyama, he has more screentime, he is fought multiple times throughout the game, and his final boss fight is really good since Kiryu fight against his equal like the fight against the original Dragon of Dojima. I probably won't use any healing items and weapons in the final boss fight against.

Yes. Ryuji is the final boss. Like Kiwami 1, the rivalry between the 2 Dragons is made clear from the very beginning. It isn't until Yakuza 3 onward does the game starts to hide as of who the final boss is like the case with the original Dragon of Dojima from 0.
Good, I can't wait to beat up some giant cats.

Several feet? Try like, twenty. These fuckers soar through the air, and it's always hilarious.

I just like to toss people, it's pretty good for clearing crowds, as I like to show off over and over.

No but seriously gently caress those chair/couch users. They can rot in the deepest pits of Hell.

I really didn't like how little screentime that Nishi had (in the present) during Kiwami. Made the final fight feel less climactic than it could have been. Still enjoyable, though.

I'd be surprised and disappointed if the final boss was anyone else, honestly.

Part 3 - Cabaret Club Grand Prix

Here we go again, Cabaret stuff. I'm glad that it, so far, seems to be extremely similar to the way it was in Yakuza 0. It's still just...odd seeing Kiryu participate in it instead of Majima, but what can you do? I just wonder if it's as extensive as it was in Yakuza 0, and how much of it I should show off. I'll at least see where the pattern lies in its story progressing so I can do some of it safely offscreen if I need to. And the Omi Alliance guys are really gunning after Kiryu, huh? That loving Sengoku guy has such a punchable face, seriously. Surprised at Takashima and his actions considering how chill he was before. I guess it just wouldn't be enough if it was only Ryuji Goda and his goons going after our hero. Not enough guys to have their faces smashed in, you know? Also, glad the substories are picking up in quality, as I was sure they would.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 4 - Be My Baby

Oh, Yakuza. You know just how to make me both amused and haunt my dreams at the same time. Main storywise, not much goes on here, just Kiryu returning to Kamurocho, dropping Sayama off, and getting summoned by Kashiwagi. Oh, and Chairman Goda and Daigo are kidnapped. I actually somehow forgot about that by the video's end. Sadly, it seems I'll have to finally and legitimately play a true game of Mahjong in the near future. I'm just hoping I'll be able to get the rules pinned down. The two shining substories are of course the Fake Kiryu one, and the one the episode is named after. The latter was a nice mix of somewhat horrifying and also hilarious. It lessened the impact since I've heard of places like that before, seeing something like it in Gotham. The Fake Kiryu substory was just funny, and it was weird that the two fakers knew enough about Kiryu to know who Shinji was, but not enough to actually recognize the guy. Also, it's odd but welcome how substories (aside from that Dojima-centric chain in Kiwami) are having actual, voiced cutscenes. Pretty drat nifty.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Glad you're enjoying the game. Some of these substories are famous, others notorious. A few tips-

- There is an item called the Peerless Tile that makes Mah-jong significantly easier. I'll let you look up guides on how to find it, but it could help you in the Mah-jong substory.

- There is in fact a chain of substories in the Dragon Palace. But they do not involve the gambling that goes on there. Check them out to see what they do involve, it's a lot more fun.

- There's a new password for the weapons store in Beam. You have to complete a certain substory to get it. Until you have the password, all you can do there is watch videos. And some videos do teach you new moves. Again, I'll let you check guides for which ones.

- The new Cabaret story is worth going through for some fun Majima moments towards the end among other things. Yuki is indeed the first hostess from the Yakuza Zero Cabaret story (and the only Platinum one that returns, sadly). You'll learn more about the Onomichi people if and when you get to Yakuza 6.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

achtungnight posted:

- There is an item called the Peerless Tile that makes Mah-jong significantly easier. I'll let you look up guides on how to find it, but it could help you in the Mah-jong substory.

- There is in fact a chain of substories in the Dragon Palace. But they do not involve the gambling that goes on there. Check them out to see what they do involve, it's a lot more fun.

- There's a new password for the weapons store in Beam. You have to complete a certain substory to get it. Until you have the password, all you can do there is watch videos. And some videos do teach you new moves. Again, I'll let you check guides for which ones.

- The new Cabaret story is worth going through for some fun Majima moments towards the end among other things. Yuki is indeed the first hostess from the Yakuza Zero Cabaret story (and the only Platinum one that returns, sadly). You'll learn more about the Onomichi people if and when you get to Yakuza 6.
Good to know, I'll make sure and get that, thanks.

Also good to know. I'm really not a fan of games of chance, as is probably obvious. Not that it would stop me anyway, I gotta do all the substories, no matter how annoying some may be.

I thought it was weird there was only porn there. I don't even remember having to get the password in Kiwami. I just picked all of the options presented to me and unlocked a secret weapon story. I just thought I'd be able to do that again. I really just want to be able to test out these DLC weapons I got while also being able to repair them. I wanna shoot a rocket launcher, drat it.

Kind of nice to see her return, and I see she shares Kiryu's ability of almost-eternal at all given how much time has passed and how little she changed. And I'm glad Majima will be a part of the Cabaret stuff, it'd be so disappointing if he didn't at least show up. And of course I was gonna go through it anyway, it'd be a shame not to. And I'll be getting to Yakuza 6 eventually. The only obstacle right now is waiting for Sega to let us know if the Yakuza 3 Remaster will be released in English or not.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Fun fact: If you meet an opponent with Infant Play fighting style in the colloseum, that means it's Gondawara. He's the only one with that fighting style. Also, he can be recruited into Majima Construction Company still in his diaper.

The grinding in this game doesn't involve fighting special opponent to fight. Instead, it's about finding the most effective cuisine in a certain restaurant.

Also, try the karaoke. I really like the song Like a Butterfly. It features Kiryu rapping with a square shaped sunglasses. If you wanna Yakuza 0 nostalgia, there's the song Tonight which still have Kiryu reminisce Nishiki. There's also Majima exclusive song So Long As You're Happy. Oh yeah, you can invite Majima to karaoke.

Your Everyday NEET fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 28, 2019

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Fun fact: If you meet an opponent with Infant Play fighting style in the colloseum, that means it's Gondawara. He's the only one with that fighting style. Also, he can be recruited into Majima Construction Company still in his diaper.

The grinding in this game doesn't involve fighting special opponent to fight. Instead, it's about finding the most effective cuisine in a certain restaurant.

Also, try the karaoke. I really like the song Like a Butterfly. It features Kiryu rapping with a square shaped sunglasses. If you wanna Yakuza 0 nostalgia, there's the song Tonight which still have Kiryu reminisce Nishiki. There's also Majima exclusive song So Long As You're Happy. Oh yeah, you can invite Majima to karaoke.
Absolutely horrifying.

Thanks for the tip.

I'll make sure to do karaoke and other entertainment stuff I haven't gotten to at some point.

Part 5 - Mock Interviews and Photography

Boy that peerless tile worked like a charm. Just instantly won the game without a hitch. Looks like another game will pass on by without me having to actually learn about how Mahjong works. Also, I found the fanservice minigame of this entry. A strange live-action photography bit with Kiryu's game model sticking out in the corner. Really...unusual. I have to question why these games exist. I'm not against fanservice by any means, it's more that there's so many better ways to find stuff like this. Like, you know, the internet. Especially since you can see actual nudity there. Eh, whatever. Just more substories other than that, with one sliver of main story as I approached a taxi. The box one was kind of humorous, and the interview one was great just for the nasty and sometimes blunt choices I could pick. I'll try to wrap up all the remaining substories remaining in Kamurocho in the next video and then move on with the main story afterward. Might as well see if Daigo and Goda are alive and all that, right?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Glad the Peerless Tile worked out so well for you.

Check the first floor of the gambling hall when you can. IIRC, an old friend from the homeless park is there and you’ll want to see him again.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 6 - President of Majima Construction

I'll never get tired of the way time moves in Yakuza. Where someone can turn their back and somehow a dog can be delivered to a faraway orphanage after a few steps are taken. I finally, finally found someone that can repair weapons, so I can finally test and use some of the goodies I've gained and the rocket launcher is a bunch of stupid fun. And, of course, Majima finally makes his debut in the game and sporting a construction helmet. Almost surprised Kiryu didn't instantly get flashhbacks to the first Kiwami game and go into a panic at the sight of him. Though him getting freaked out in that video booth was hilarious. I didn't find anyone in the gambling hall, but Komaki has summoned me, so I'll make sure and learn a thing or two from him before facing down Majima. I'm sure I'd be able to beat him anyway, but I should probably see my old sensei as soon as I can so I can unlock some cool new poo poo to use in battle. Maybe I'll even get to learn the Tiger Drop once more. A man can dream...

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Geez... That's some insane powerlevel there. How long have you been grinding?

For the karaoke, triggering Like a Butterfly's video requires you to bring cabaret girls that sings that song. It's a really great song though, I like the female vocal, I ended up singing along the song. For Tonight's video, I guess you fail to trigger the video. Too bad though. Say, all of Kiryu's song is him reminiscing Yakuza Kiwami. His other song, Pride From Despair is him reminiscing about the Mad Dog in Yakuza Kiwami. Be sure to invite Majima for a karaoke session after defeating him.

Do the Komaki Training fast, it's very useful. It unlocks the use of Extreme HEAT Mode. It's really great. With it, your finisher can now grind the opponents face for extra damage and more ragdoll potential (square-triangle-triangle combo can launch smaller enemies upward with the sheer force of the attack). There's a lot of HEAT Action only accessible in Extreme HEAT Mode. Just about any attacks can be chained into HEAT Actions. The strongest HEAT Action (yet also unlisted) is triggered simply by ending your square combo on an enemy when Kiryu isn't near a wall. It deals like 2x damage compared to other HEAT Action.

After defeating Majima, the Majima Construction is opened as well and it's a sizeable side activity like the Cabaret. The Colloseum is unlocked and it's way more fun since the kitties join in the fight. Also, there's this 8 men Battle Royale which is so chaotic and fun.

Fun fact: The best grinding method in Yakuza 6 is simply by hitting the gym.

It's only just a week left before I could join in playing tiger punching the game as well.

Your Everyday NEET fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 3, 2019

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I think I mixed up the remake with the original Yakuza 2 (or possibly another game) where Komaki has a dojo in the gambling hall building and you can go there anytime. Here he has to message you first and they moved him to the Champion District. My bad.

The weapon repair guy is a recurring character. He was one of the Dragon & Tiger's weapon retrieval guys in Yakuza Zero and will show up in future games as a weapons merchant again & again.

Cabaret is your sidequest campaign for Soutenbori. As such, most of the substory hostesses are unlocked through substories that happen there. You should unlock your Kamurocho sidequest campaign next update. It's pretty fun.

I don't think the origin of Kashiwagi's scar is ever shown. :(

Shindo was in Yakuza 1. He was the sword wielding boss who Nishiki had try to kill Kiryu along with several wooden katana users at the end of Chapter 6, I think it was. Considering he's probably minus a pinky thanks to Kiryu... yeah, he's a dick.

The bull sculpture is a new thing for Kiwami. The secret room is a lot more well hidden in the original Yakuza 2.

I like the Kiwami Machine Gun. It will definitely come in handy on a certain boss fight. Not saying more.

The big black guy is another recurring character. You'll probably remember him better after the tournament Majima mentioned.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Geez... That's some insane powerlevel there. How long have you been grinding?

For the karaoke, triggering Like a Butterfly's video requires you to bring cabaret girls that sings that song. It's a really great song though, I like the female vocal, I ended up singing along the song. For Tonight's video, I guess you fail to trigger the video. Too bad though. Say, all of Kiryu's song is him reminiscing Yakuza Kiwami. His other song, Pride From Despair is him reminiscing about the Mad Dog in Yakuza Kiwami. Be sure to invite Majima for a karaoke session after defeating him.

Do the Komaki Training fast, it's very useful. It unlocks the use of Extreme HEAT Mode. It's really great. With it, your finisher can now grind the opponents face for extra damage and more ragdoll potential (square-triangle-triangle combo can launch smaller enemies upward with the sheer force of the attack). There's a lot of HEAT Action only accessible in Extreme HEAT Mode. Just about any attacks can be chained into HEAT Actions. The strongest HEAT Action (yet also unlisted) is triggered simply by ending your square combo on an enemy when Kiryu isn't near a wall. It deals like 2x damage compared to other HEAT Action.

After defeating Majima, the Majima Construction is opened as well and it's a sizeable side activity like the Cabaret. The Colloseum is unlocked and it's way more fun since the kitties join in the fight. Also, there's this 8 men Battle Royale which is so chaotic and fun.

Fun fact: The best grinding method in Yakuza 6 is simply by hitting the gym.
It wasn't really too long. Two or three hours at most, probably. I used this guide here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B9NOoRaq8M) for the process. Honestly this game is so much easier combat-wise compared to Kiwami it's crazy.

drat, I guess things are stricter with Kiwami 2's karaoke, since I recall getting similar scores in Yakuza 0 while triggering the little movies. Or maybe it just happens no matter what in that game. Either way, I'll return to karaoke at some point.

Well poo poo, that all sounds good. Then yeah, first thing I do before anything else next video is going to see Komaki. Can't wait to see the kind of poo poo he'll let me unlock in action. Didn't even think there'd be Extreme HEAT stuff since it's the second Kiwami game and the "Extreme" isn't quite as novel as the first time around. That, and I thought if it was in this game, it would've come up by now.

So much for me to do, so little time. Gotta find room for all these activities. I mean poo poo, I need to get back to Cabaret soon at the very least, I've been slacking off on that.

What? No money beating up shakedowns, no fighting a crazy Cyclops, no eating at sushi restaurants? How lame.

achtungnight posted:

I think I mixed up the remake with the original Yakuza 2 (or possibly another game) where Komaki has a dojo in the gambling hall building and you can go there anytime. Here he has to message you first and they moved him to the Champion District. My bad.

The weapon repair guy is a recurring character. He was one of the Dragon & Tiger's weapon retrieval guys in Yakuza Zero and will show up in future games as a weapons merchant again & again.

Cabaret is your sidequest campaign for Soutenbori. As such, most of the substory hostesses are unlocked through substories that happen there. You should unlock your Kamurocho sidequest campaign next update. It's pretty fun.

I don't think the origin of Kashiwagi's scar is ever shown. :(

Shindo was in Yakuza 1. He was the sword wielding boss who Nishiki had try to kill Kiryu along with several wooden katana users at the end of Chapter 6, I think it was. Considering he's probably minus a pinky thanks to Kiryu... yeah, he's a dick.

I like the Kiwami Machine Gun. It will definitely come in handy on a certain boss fight. Not saying more.

The big black guy is another recurring character. You'll probably remember him better after the tournament Majima mentioned.
Ah, alright. That makes sense. I'm just glad I didn't somehow overlook somebody despite the confined spaces.

Didn't even use the weapon retrieval enough to notice him, but that's a nice little touch.

I...somehow completely forgot the Cabaret stuff was in Sotenbori. Really shows how little I've thought of it since I last went there. Really gotta focus on that soon. Of course at the moment there aren't any substories in Sotenbori for me to unlock, just that one about the sales clerk. Interested to see what the construction stuff is all about and how it works.

Aw, lame. I'll just assume it was received by him doing something really badass.

poo poo, you're right. I completely forgot about that dude. Really shows how much he stuck out. Thinking about it, I don't recall him reappearing after that fight was over. At least not in any major way if memory serves...

Good to know. I'll make sure and keep it loaded and ready.

You mean Gary Buster Holmes? Yeah, I recognized him almost right away. Funny how I can remember him, but not Shindo. Then again, I suppose Holmes kind of stands out a bit more...

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 7 - The Three Musketeers

It is complete and utter bullshit that Komaki's moves have to still be bought after learned. Didn't have to go through that poo poo in the first Kiwami game, so why here? At the very least they're somewhat cheap, so I guess that helps to balance things out. The Coliseum is alright, juts kind of more of the same as the first Kiwami game. The free-for-all fight with all the weapons was pretty drat fun, and the game really liked throwing the baby man at me it seems. Clan Creator is pretty hectic, which is something I'm not too good with dealing with. At least with the Cabaret Club stuff, everything is on a fixed, single, non-scrolling screen. No matter how chaotic the club gets, I can see everything and anything at a glance. Still, I found myself having fun after the initial tutorial level, especially after bringing the DLC characters in. The whole thing, especially things like Ryuji being a part of the group, despite it not being canon, is just hilarious. The Three Musketeers are a bit lame, and it really dampens the impact of beating them when I can't actually fight them in a proper battle, but at least it seems the story itself moves at a nice, quick pace. At least so far. Gonna focus on the Clan Creator and Coliseum until I get both of them completed. There's just so much to do in this game that I'm getting a bit swamped, so might as well get these two sections of it all done and sorted out since they're right next to each other.

He's the man, as you saw...Goro Majima...

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
You may want to wait on the Clan Creator. Quite a few fighters for it are unlocked through substories that you can't complete till later. But do as you will. The Coliseum does help you unlock quite a few really good fighters for it. I think the most valuable are unlocked automatically though- including Majima, the healing & repair guys, and some DLC people.

The Clan Creator minigame made its debut in Yakuza 6. IMO, it was better done there. A jerk you'll see in the final chapters of this game's Clan Creator is the main foe for Yakuza 6's Clan Creator. You don't get to fight the bosses of Clan Creator after their defeats in it (you do in 6), but they and the Yakuza 6 Clan Creator bosses can appear in the Kiwami 2 Coliseum as some of your strongest opponents. Most of them are based on and voiced by famous real life Japanese wrestlers, or so I hear.

You won't be able to complete the Coliseum till later in the game unfortunately. Several of the opponents won't show up till after Chapter 12 and the final tournament is not unlocked until you finish all the substories (your opponents in that one are people who have to be defeated in substories first). But have fun doing as much as you can.

I too enjoy the Majima song.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

achtungnight posted:

You may want to wait on the Clan Creator. Quite a few fighters for it are unlocked through substories that you can't complete till later. But do as you will. The Coliseum does help you unlock quite a few really good fighters for it. I think the most valuable are unlocked automatically though- including Majima, the healing & repair guys, and some DLC people.

The Clan Creator minigame made its debut in Yakuza 6. IMO, it was better done there. A jerk you'll see in the final chapters of this game's Clan Creator is the main foe for Yakuza 6's Clan Creator. You don't get to fight the bosses of Clan Creator after their defeats in it (you do in 6), but they and the Yakuza 6 Clan Creator bosses can appear in the Kiwami 2 Coliseum as some of your strongest opponents. Most of them are based on and voiced by famous real life Japanese wrestlers, or so I hear.

You won't be able to complete the Coliseum till later in the game unfortunately. Several of the opponents won't show up till after Chapter 12 and the final tournament is not unlocked until you finish all the substories (your opponents in that one are people who have to be defeated in substories first). But have fun doing as much as you can.

I too enjoy the Majima song.
I mean I don't really plan on showing of all the fighters, since I imagine most of them probably visually play the same. I seem particularly overpowered thanks to the DLC, so unless I reach a point where that's not enough, I'll just continuing trucking along.

That explains some things, since I swear there was some description or something for some of the DLC fighters mentioning they were from Yakuza 6. It especially stinks I can't actually fight the Musketeers since the Cabaret plotline will also be lacking in fights since all but one of the villains there are female.

poo poo. Well, I'll just show off as much as I can, especially since it's a lot more tolerable than it was in Kiwami, at least so far. It really seems like the combat just got toned way down for this game, since so far the only fair (as in no item/HEAT limitations) fight I've had any true difficulty with was with Ryuji. No one else has given me as much difficulty as some of the more difficult fights from the first Kiwami game.

I've been humming that poo poo nonstop for the last few hours.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Yeah, Ryuji's a beast.

The later Coliseum fights are worth it. I just wish the opponents weren't as random. In the original Yakuza 2, it was easy to set up using the Tiger Drop on actual tigers. You can do it here too, but it's harder to set up with random foes. Tiger Drop is also a pain to learn. :(

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
The key to the Clan Creator minigame is to have the opponents come to you, not you going to their spawn point. Position your men in the choke point. You don't need to micromanage them everytime new waves arrives and it's much more manageable that way. Also, upgrading them mid battle raise their stats by 20% and heal them to full. The free heal is very important.

The Three Musketeer are all old generation wrestler. So it makes sense for them wanting to have a last bang against Kiryu.

achtungnight posted:

See: The Kitties. If the opponent have Ferocious Beast fighting style, that means it's the kitties. If they join the battle royale, the fights gonna be even more chaotic.

In the last tournament, the last opponent is always someone with the Assassination fighting style. You know who that is right?

The japanese lyric of Majima Construction Anthem goes like this:
Sore wa~ are wa~
Goro Majima
Majima Keisatsu~

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

The key to the Clan Creator minigame is to have the opponents come to you, not you going to their spawn point. Position your men in the choke point. You don't need to micromanage them everytime new waves arrives and it's much more manageable that way. Also, upgrading them mid battle raise their stats by 20% and heal them to full. The free heal is very important.

The Three Musketeer are all old generation wrestler. So it makes sense for them wanting to have a last bang against Kiryu.

See: The Kitties. If the opponent have Ferocious Beast fighting style, that means it's the kitties. If they join the battle royale, the fights gonna be even more chaotic.

In the last tournament, the last opponent is always someone with the Assassination fighting style. You know who that is right?
Alright, did what you said and it was definitely a lot less annoying to deal with. That one bottle necked alleyway was a real easy time. Whole bunch of enemies all grouped up and primed for rocket launchers and special attacks.

Well that makes sense. Yakuza really seems to like putting celebrities of all sorts into their games like that and having them voice themselves. First pornstars and now wrestlers. It's such a needless but nice little treat.

I actually looked into it, and it sadly turns out the cats won't appear in the Coliseum until Chapter 12 happens. Makes me also recall how one of the acupuncture moves won't unlock until that chapter is done as well. Really makes me wonder what the gently caress's gonna happen in that chapter. Me fighting giant felines, apparently.

Ah, of course. Kenshiro as a tease for the then-upcoming Fist of the North Star video game. I joke, but gently caress that would be awesome...I'll settle for an Amon clan member instead.

Part 8 - Genichiro Tenryu

I'm honestly considering switching to hard mode. Like I know I did a lot of grinding, but man the Coliseum is just child's play to me at this point. I'm not sure how the later tournaments and their fighters compare to some of the story bosses, but these guys can barely put a scratch on me no matter how many times I get hit. It's just such an unusual change after getting my rear end kicked in Kiwami in a bunch of fights, even getting defeated on multiple occasions. The fights themselves were still fun, I can still get joy out of just completely dominating opponents like that, especially with flashy HEAT Attacks to spice things up. Those free-for-all fights were some of the best fights I had in a Yakuza game thus far, no exaggeration. Just chaos and weird fighters all over the drat place, and I still haven't even unlocked the cats yet. Not much to really say about the Clan Creator mode, it's mostly just more of the same poo poo, though there seems to be a twist of some sort coming down the road...

TheLoneStar fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 7, 2019

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Heh, I see your power grinding gets even more insane. You even unlocked all the unlockable upgrades. Nothing could challenge you anymore. Though I do feel the grinding you did wore you down. You have less energy in your commentary in this part.

Don't underestimate supportive buffs in the Clan Creator. Those skills will become more important in later stage compared to straight up AoE special attacks.

Those Wrestlers you met at the final round of the Colloseum are the current generation of NJPW. They all have their own unique appearance and finishing throw.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Heh, I see your power grinding gets even more insane. You even unlocked all the unlockable upgrades. Nothing could challenge you anymore. Though I do feel the grinding you did wore you down. You have less energy in your commentary in this part.

Don't underestimate supportive buffs in the Clan Creator. Those skills will become more important in later stage compared to straight up AoE special attacks.

Those Wrestlers you met at the final round of the Colloseum are the current generation of NJPW. They all have their own unique appearance and finishing throw.
And sadly it's at a halt. Can't buy any new more abilities, at least not right now. And sorry, I wasn't aware how low energy it was. Admittedly, I'm sometimes at a loss for words at what to talk about during Clan Creator. Not much for me to say regarding it at this point outside of the cutscenes.

Alright, I'll keep that in mind.

Oh, so even more wrestlers outside of the Clan Creator villains? That's kind of neat. With wrestlers and pornstars, makes me wonder what other type of celebrities will appear in later Yakuza titles in this manner.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Some reminders and reveals-

The tigers and lion won't appear in the Coliseum until after Chapter 12. I hate the wait too, but it is worth it. Too bad there aren't ever lions, tigers, and bears in the same Yakuza game (Bears also appear in Yakuza 5).

Akiyama and Saejima (from Clan Creator) appear for the first time in Yakuza 4. They are pretty popular playable characters in that game and Yakuza 5.

Hope you can get some healing and repair guys on your Clan team eventually. As it gets worse, you will need them. I did, anyway.

The Komaki you unlock at the end is normal game Komaki. You've been using DLC Komaki. Not sure how they compare, I know DLC Majima is better than game Majima. Komaki may be the reverse.

The 3 Musketeers, Mutou, and Chono do appear in the Coliseum. I think you have to beat them in Clan Creator first, but I'm not sure what else is required to trigger them. They're pretty formidable in the Coliseum.

You will fight more Amons than just Jo Amon in this game, but I'm not saying more. You'll see.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 7, 2019

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

achtungnight posted:

The tigers and lion won't appear in the Coliseum until after Chapter 12. I hate the wait too, but it is worth it. Too bad there aren't ever lions, tigers, and bears in the same Yakuza game (Bears also appear in Yakuza 5).

Hope you can get some healing and repair guys on your Clan team eventually. As it gets worse, you will need them. I did, anyway.

The Komaki you unlock at the end is normal game Komaki. You've been using DLC Komaki. Not sure how they compare, I know DLC Majima is better than game Majima. Komaki may be the reverse.

The 3 Musketeers, Mutou, and Chono do appear in the Coliseum. I think you have to beat them in Clan Creator first, but I'm not sure what else is required to trigger them. They're pretty formidable in the Coliseum.

You will fight more Amons than just Jo Amon in this game, but I'm not saying more. You'll see.
I know, I mentioned that earlier. Just makes me wonder what I'm going to be up to in that chapters.

So far, I've managed to get by without them. With only one more fight...we'll have to wait and see.

I just wish DLC Komaki wasn't so brittle. You think someone like him would have more defense and health.

So far, I haven't encountered any of them, though perhaps they only appear in the tournament types I've yet to unlock.

Oh geez. Nervous yet looking forward to it.

Part 9 - Chono and Mutoh Defeated

I'll go right ahead and say I wasn't a very happy camper for this episode, especially by the end. Clan Creator was fun at first and all, but by this point I'm just tired of it. I don't find the story particularly interesting, nor the new characters involved. Yeah, it's kind of neat the main five bad guys are modeled after wrestlers and all that, but that's about the only interesting bit. Like, the Cabaret and Real Estate sidestories were a lot more manageable and less annoying than this. That, and they had better stories with more amusing scenes and characters. The Clan Creator story just feels like it's dragging on and on, and I totally saw them dragging it on even more by have the secretary go traitor. I'll also say that, as it turns out, the Sotenbori part of it doesn't lead to anything like I suspected it does. That on top the fact that apparently the last wave includes fighting the Musketeers, Chono, and Mutoh all at once means I'm not going to even bother.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Yeah, Clan Creator is a lot more satisfying when you get to beat down the big bosses one on one at the climax. I say "is" because the game that introduces it, Yakuza 6, does not make the mistake Kiwami 2 does. In that game, you fight the bosses. :D Why they changed it here, I do not know.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017

TheLoneStar posted:

So far, I haven't encountered any of them, though perhaps they only appear in the tournament types I've yet to unlock.

Second to last tournament in the colloseum for the Musketeers. The last opponent always will be the old wrestlers. The requirement to unlock it is clearing the Clan Creator.

Yeah... Maybe you shouldn't burn through the Clan Creator in one go, you even now wore yourself down even further. Though thankfully there's not many optional challenge in the Clan Creator.

The PC release of Yakuza Kiwami 2 is LOL worthy. SEGA forgot to add the game .exe file, so nobody can play it even after they download the game.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Second to last tournament in the colloseum for the Musketeers. The last opponent always will be the old wrestlers. The requirement to unlock it is clearing the Clan Creator.

Yeah... Maybe you shouldn't burn through the Clan Creator in one go, you even now wore yourself down even further. Though thankfully there's not many optional challenge in the Clan Creator.

The PC release of Yakuza Kiwami 2 is LOL worthy. SEGA forgot to add the game .exe file, so nobody can play it even after they download the game.
Good to know. At some point I'll head on back and take a gander.

I just didn't think it'd be so drat long. Either way, too late now. At least I know that for whenever I play through the game again in the future.

That's...Bethesda levels of carelessness, good Christ. Surely it's fixed by now, right?

Part 10 - The Amano Building

And so, the Clan Creator comes to a close. Almost hosed up and failed near the end there, but I persevered. The Amano Building was shorter than expected, and I didn't even realize that guy in black was supposed to be a serious threat. I thought he was akin to Yoneda where he'd just keep coming at me, only to get swatted away. Even dropped the guy out a window. Seems we also got a classic evil twin situation going on with Kazuki, even had a "Which one do I shoot?!" type of moment for a few seconds. Gonna breeze through the Cabaret stuff next, which is thankfully far more manageable than the Clan Creator so far. Though thinking over it more, I'll probably end up doing one or two of those championships, take a break for some substory fun, then go back to it. Don't want to risk another burnout.

As for Majima's little campaign, is it something I should do as the chapters get unlocked, or should I do it all at once?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Majima Campaign- I recommend you do it all at once. That way you don't get mad over the cliffhangers and having to come back to settle them later. There are only three chapters to it, so it's not that long. And it's very entertaining.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017

TheLoneStar posted:

That's...Bethesda levels of carelessness, good Christ. Surely it's fixed by now, right?

Thankfully, it's quickly fixed. I find it pretty funny though.

Yeah, you're overpowered as hell. Even Ryuji won't be a match for you even in Hard difficulty. At least in Kiwami 1, Majima will take a break if you fight him too often so that you won't be way too overpowered in early chapters.

Do Majima after you unlocked all 3 chapters of it. It's short enough that you can actually do it in 1 video and because cliffhangers sucks.

Try to invite Majima in karaoke. His exclusive song is really good.

Have you tried to do charged attacks and combo-ing it. I tried it. It's certainly really powerful, but it's rather hard to pull off since you have to hold both square or triangle with your finger to charge it. But it's satisfying to pull off charged heavy attack in the form of a dropkick.

Your Everyday NEET fucked around with this message at 13:27 on May 11, 2019

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

achtungnight posted:

Majima Campaign- I recommend you do it all at once. That way you don't get mad over the cliffhangers and having to come back to settle them later. There are only three chapters to it, so it's not that long. And it's very entertaining.
Alright, I'll hold off on it. Excited to see what it's all about.

Thankfully, it's quickly fixed. I find it pretty funny though.

Yeah, you're overpowered as hell. Even Ryuji won't be a match for you even in Hard difficulty. At least in Kiwami 1, Majima will take a break if you fight him too often so that you won't be way too overpowered in early chapters.

Try to invite Majima in karaoke. His exclusive song is really good.

Have you tried to do charged attacks and combo-ing it. I tried it. It's certainly really powerful, but it's rather hard to pull off since you have to hold both square or triangle with your finger to charge it. But it's satisfying to pull off charged heavy attack in the form of a dropkick.
Still, what a blunder.

I swear Kiwami 1 was just harder altogether. Even when I had all my abilities, Majima would sometimes be a major pain in my rear end on Normal.

I will at some point. Got a lot of side content to take care of.

Kind of remember doing it a bit in earlier episodes. Though at this point I now have so many HEAT Attacks that I can easily use a bunch of those in a single fight instead.

Part 11 - Fresh League Championship

Cabaret stuff is still surprisingly fun to do even after all this time. Or, at least, I've yet to get tired of it yet, even after all of it I had to do in Yakuza 0. I don't think it'll ever stop feeling odd that I'm doing this side content as Kiryu and not Majima. It just doesn't seem right. Almost unnatural. I still prefer the Five Stars from Yakuza 0 over this new group. So far they're all kind of meh in comparison. That, and with those guys I got to do some fighting. New plan is to start off the next few videos completing the next League before doing substories and probably going back to the main story so I'm not just gathering fans for an entire video. And, as it turns out, my opponent simply never got to use her Fever Ability. Looking back at the footage, it turns out when I used my Fever, it made her meter drop down. I guess I was too busy looking at the main action to even notice. I'd just glance up to the top left at times, see Kana's meter down, and assume she used a Fever Ability. Hopefully this is the case for all the Leagues. A bit embarrassed how I lost to that Bouncer mission since I forgot I couldn't use healing items, but I also failed to notice that a lot of the missions are just the same mission but on a harder difficulty. I'm going to only show off each stage once, then do the other difficulties offscreen. The haunted videotape substory was entertaining, and even a bit creepier than the one from Yakuza 0. With ghosts being canon to the series, when will we meet some aliens...?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Well, there is a golf sub story in this game that features aliens, though probably not in the way you’re hoping. Still you got to do it and the baseball sub story for completion. Both were really annoyingly hard for me, fair warning. Look up Albatross Akagi and Dandy Johnson in Kiwami 2 guides for tips. You may want to get these sub stories done sooner than later.

A couple hostesses from Yakuza Zero do return in this game. Not saying who, but keep doing cabaret championships and sub stories to find them.

The bouncer missions are not necessary for completion from what I’ve heard. They’re just extra money and fun if you like them.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
It feels like the Cabaret in Kiwami 2 is a little harder than in 0. In 0, the only time my hostess' HP drops to zero is during the fight against the rival clubs. Here, my hostess' HP keeps dropping after 1 session. Maybe after I level them up, they become more durable.

If you wanna learn the HEAT moves for Baseball bat or Golf Club, you must learn it from playing the minigames involving them. Bowling Ball's HEAT Action can only be learnt in the post game.

I prefer the Finishing Hold more than regular throw since the square, triangle, circle combo is faster at letting you crowd control enemies than regular throw which leaves you open for a few seconds. It only be used in open space though since if the thrown enemy hit a wall, Kiryu will drop him and no damage is done.

Unlocking the Extreme HEAT Mode greatly increase Kiryu's combat options. I like using the Extreme HEAT exclusive HEAT Moves since it can be triggered from almost any action. It can be triggered from dodge toward enemy, sidestepping dodge enemy, dodge backward, backhanding enemy from behind, regular triangle attack, etc. Although I can't trigger the flurry HEAT Action that I listed before. I guess it's been removed since it's too powerful and replaced with infinite square combo which is pretty lame.

You can't die if you're in Extreme HEAT Mode. You're always left at 1 HP and unable to be killed. Though since you can heal, the only time this is important is during Amon fight and Bouncer mission.

Most of Bouncer missions are post-game challenge. Only the very last Bouncer gives you significant prize: the ability to instantly fill out HEAT gauge with a single taunt. But that challenge is vs 100 enemies. It's really difficult I don't think anyone could do it without cheesing those guys with infinite durability weapon.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I think there’s a boss fight against 100 enemies in Yakuza 5, but it’s probably easier than that bouncer mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

achtungnight posted:

Well, there is a golf sub story in this game that features aliens, though probably not in the way you’re hoping. Still you got to do it and the baseball sub story for completion. Both were really annoyingly hard for me, fair warning. Look up Albatross Akagi and Dandy Johnson in Kiwami 2 guides for tips. You may want to get these sub stories done sooner than later.

A couple hostesses from Yakuza Zero do return in this game. Not saying who, but keep doing cabaret championships and sub stories to find them.

The bouncer missions are not necessary for completion from what I’ve heard. They’re just extra money and fun if you like them.
I'll make sure and get to those. Kind of played about with them in this video. That one Dandy Johnson thing was really helpful.

I somewhat have the feeling Yuki will come out of retirement or something and help out near the end.

I just find them amusing. Should I not keep doing them?

It feels like the Cabaret in Kiwami 2 is a little harder than in 0. In 0, the only time my hostess' HP drops to zero is during the fight against the rival clubs. Here, my hostess' HP keeps dropping after 1 session. Maybe after I level them up, they become more durable.

If you wanna learn the HEAT moves for Baseball bat or Golf Club, you must learn it from playing the minigames involving them. Bowling Ball's HEAT Action can only be learnt in the post game.

I prefer the Finishing Hold more than regular throw since the square, triangle, circle combo is faster at letting you crowd control enemies than regular throw which leaves you open for a few seconds. It only be used in open space though since if the thrown enemy hit a wall, Kiryu will drop him and no damage is done.

Unlocking the Extreme HEAT Mode greatly increase Kiryu's combat options. I like using the Extreme HEAT exclusive HEAT Moves since it can be triggered from almost any action. It can be triggered from dodge toward enemy, sidestepping dodge enemy, dodge backward, backhanding enemy from behind, regular triangle attack, etc. Although I can't trigger the flurry HEAT Action that I listed before. I guess it's been removed since it's too powerful and replaced with infinite square combo which is pretty lame.

You can't die if you're in Extreme HEAT Mode. You're always left at 1 HP and unable to be killed. Though since you can heal, the only time this is important is during Amon fight and Bouncer mission.

Most of Bouncer missions are post-game challenge. Only the very last Bouncer gives you significant prize: the ability to instantly fill out HEAT gauge with a single taunt. But that challenge is vs 100 enemies. It's really difficult I don't think anyone could do it without cheesing those guys with infinite durability weapon.
I have that problem too, it feels like a lot of my non-Platinum Hostesses are near-death by the two minute mark. At least during the real matches, I don't need to worry about gaining fans anymore and can always boost their health.

Pretty weird about the bowling ball one, especially since I bet anything it's the exact same one from Yakuza 0.

I actually do try to do that move a lot, but the enemies always block my triangle attack and loving it up. That's why I do the regular one more often, it's easier to pull off.

Didn't even know about the HEAT Actions with sidestepping or dodging, that's pretty cool to know. Really love the Extreme HEAT Mode in general, it's always so drat satisfying. In addition, it's great how just activating it can hurt opponents, so you can potentially knock a guy out by powering up.

Man, I never even thought about how the Amon fight being in the Colosseum means I can't heal during it. I'll probably have to switch to a lower difficulty for it, but I'll at least try on hard first.

That sounds like a challenge right there. I mean, I'd probably have to lower the difficulty, but...

Part 12 - Paradise League Championship

Second championship completed. So far I really like Aika, she's easily the most entertaining Platinum Hostess. Really love how she was just like "God you're a bore, I'm gonna join these guys!" and just gives zero fucks. Surprised by the twist revealing Youda was working with the villains. Can't believe he'd just go to the side of evil like that. Brings a God drat tear to my eye. Really don't like how the baseball game is done this time around. Like I dunno, are my reaction times really that bad, or does it seem a bit too quick? Like without prior knowledge of where each ball goes, I dunno how I'm supposed to react that quickly. I'll look more into that substory and the golf one before the next video and see more of what they entail and how to start them. I assume by playing more of each minigame, but I want to make sure first. I really love how time works in the Yakuza series. I beat up a guy, go back to the headmistress, and then ten seconds later I'm told the playground is finished. Some kind of weird time fuckery going about here...