Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Agile Vector posted:

both correct. i got a 2080 as part of a full system replacement and tried the preview of their raytracing. lol that addon store is loving nickel and dime central. its buying haircuts for your rectangle avatar or some nonsense and barely ranks about freemium app store skeeze

if i was a parent id just buy full price lego sets and save some money

you mean the Minecraft LEGO sets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Microsoft account management has always been a clusterfuck though, I think maybe its a bit more integrated now but I distinctly remember sometimes just getting booted into an anonymous "enter your windows account details" prompt in the past when doing things like setting up Msdn license creds.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jenny Agutter posted:

you mean the Minecraft LEGO sets?

lol i forgot about those. i wonder if they have hair and hat packs for 99¢ too

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Microsoft account management has always been a clusterfuck though, I think maybe its a bit more integrated now but I distinctly remember sometimes just getting booted into an anonymous "enter your windows account details" prompt in the past when doing things like setting up Msdn license creds.

like the awesome “hey, just curious, what’s your Apple ID password?” contextless modal dialogs that iOS throws up periodically

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

oh yeah, if you want to talk about microsoft bungling poo poo badly just note that they launched into consolidated/federated (on and off the web) logins in 19-loving-99 with passport, and 21 years later they are still continually loving it up

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

oh yeah, if you want to talk about microsoft bungling poo poo badly just note that they launched into consolidated/federated (on and off the web) logins in 19-loving-99 with passport, and 21 years later they are still continually loving it up

tbf, a non-zero number of those current fuckups are holdovers from the early passport and liveID systems and everything they've merged in along the way over 20 years

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Passport / Live ID has never used cookies correctly in its entire history

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Agile Vector posted:

yes but its $15

i don't think it was very popular because they only ever made two versions but they are still coming out with new sets

~Coxy posted:

I have a buddy who is into all the Bedrock stuff and he says that if you rent a server on Switch the transaction will go through but literally do nothing and then both Nintendo and MS support will ignore you about it.

I guess I'll have to force my children to play the Java version.

last i checked you had to install the java version if you wanted to use non-microsoft vr hardware to play the game in vr, a bit annoying but worked great

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

~Coxy posted:

I guess I'll have to force my children to play the Java version.

i think forcing your children to use java is child abuse in several states

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

they hide the Java from you inside the launcher

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I can still smell the stink

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Healthy young child goes to computer, gets pumped with massive hype of many VR headsets, doesn't feel good and vomits - JAVA. Many such cases!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Grace Baiting posted:

Healthy young child goes to computer, gets pumped with massive hype of many VR headsets, doesn't feel good and vomits - JAVA. Many such cases!

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Subjunctive posted:

like the awesome “hey, just curious, what’s your Apple ID password?” contextless modal dialogs that iOS throws up periodically

Yep. iirc at one point it wouldn't let me use my actual work email either so I had like a vs professional license tied to my personal email address or something.

apps that use Facebook ids are very similar, like logging in to soundcloud on the app that controls my stereo just pops a bare "enter your Facebook account details to connect" page on your phone

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

duz posted:

yes but its $15

i don't think it was very popular because they only ever made two versions but they are still coming out with new sets

:eyepop:

Yep. iirc at one point it wouldn't let me use my actual work email either so I had like a vs professional license tied to my personal email address or something.

i ran into a multiaccount bungle the other day through the office/mail site where my personal account and a business email account kept replacing each other as the active login. its 2020 and google has this figured out for however many i have. how ms can you not do this or did i miss an esoteric way to manage them both somewhere?

it squares very oddly with the otherwise great authenticator they have which was what made having to relog multiple times less annoying

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
if you have a "personal" e.g. not o365 live id tied to an email address, and then move that domain over to o365 you'll end up being prompted for your personal account or work/school account, most of the time, except when you're not for services like office.com, because that's the "personal" version of o365, except there are also o365 plans for personal use that can be tied to a vanity domain, which you could have registered through hotmail, back in the mists of time.

depending on which one you signed in to most recently sites that use live id auth may or may not work at all, or may get into a credential prompt loop for no apparent reason. try deleting your cookies, or just give up and go live in a shack in the woods and write angry letters to satya nadella

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 29, 2020

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Grace Baiting posted:

the irony here is that java version is the only one that doesn't instantly induce sick and vomit in vr :v:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

pseudorandom name posted:

they hide the Java from you inside the launcher

java is stored in the blocks

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
java is good now sorry. it was applets that sucked and they’re deader than flash

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

does java still have that weird thing with @ on top of everything in order to make it easier to write?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Boiled Water posted:

does java still have that weird thing with @ on top of everything in order to make it easier to write?

Annotations, yes, but that's a slightly odd language feature to fixate on

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Aren't all the cool kids writing Koitlin now or whatever?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Rufus Ping posted:

Annotations, yes, but that's a slightly odd language feature to fixate on

from an outside perspective those were always the hardest for me to penetrate

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Soricidus posted:

java is good now sorry. it was applets that sucked and they’re deader than flash

I always thought the main problem with Java was that any one with half a pulse could vomit some code towards and IDE, it would then compile and run. Unlike other languages where if you didn’t get most stuff 99% correct it would fail to compile with an unhelpful message. This lead to a bunch of poorly coded Java apps becoming mission critical.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

no, you’re thinking of pretty much every language

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

no, you’re thinking of pretty much every language

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Varkk posted:

I always thought the main problem with Java was that any one with half a pulse could vomit some code towards and IDE, it would then compile and run. Unlike other languages where if you didn’t get most stuff 99% correct it would fail to compile with an unhelpful message. This lead to a bunch of poorly coded Java apps becoming mission critical.

i can say from personal experience that Java does a lot of "fail to compile with an unhelpful message". or maybe it's just Java frameworks and Java dependencies and Java dependency managers and the entire loving Java ecosystem

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Varkk posted:

Is your baseline here C++ or something?

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

apseudonym posted:

Haha yeah I was thinking as a professional C developer, you don't get the code that handles itself but when it does compile, you get something suited for this thread

A Man With A Plan fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 29, 2020

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

A Man With A Plan posted:

Haha yeah I was thinking as a professional C developer, yiu don't get the code that handles itself but when it does compile, you get something suited for this thread

If you write it in C you get something suited for this thread.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

apseudonym posted:

Modern C++ is good op.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

ratbert90 posted:

Modern C++ is good op.

Which definition of modern C++ we going for?

Show me a large C++ code base that doesn't have basic security vulnerabilities. Memory unsafety is a secfuck in 2020.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

apseudonym posted:

If you write it in C you get something suited for this thread.

That's what I was trying to get across, yeah. Thankfully all of my stuff isn't exposed to the internet

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Agile Vector posted:

Lego has had those for a long time.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Except they cost like $10 a pack.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
At my previous job I had an AD account fn.ln@employer.com connected to the same (local for my site) domain as my computer. Then for Azure Devops I had a work account with that same email, but living in AzureAD connected to the global company domain. And for regular Azure stuff we had no AzureAD because local IT sucked, so I also had a personal account with that very same email that I used for all non- DevOps Azure.

Of course the password expired at different times for the work accounts.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Shame Boy posted:

i think forcing your children to use java is child abuse in several states

Better then in game transactions which should be guillotinable offenses, both buying and selling.

e: but only barely.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 09:30 on May 30, 2020

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
the ms account/login infrastructure is hosed, and utterly incomprehensible to users. i have no idea how all my ms logins for the same email address all interoperate

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

redleader posted:

the ms account/login infrastructure is hosed, and utterly incomprehensible to users. i have no idea how all my ms logins for the same email address all interoperate

Yeah confusingly you can sign-up with a work email if you have a managed domain AND have a personal account with the same email address AND if you switch the managed to a federated domain your accounts get even more hosed up until all login sessions expire.

MS (and Google, Apple, and VMWare) are really so desperate for you to have an ‘identity’ on their platforms that they’ll allow this convoluted bullshit if it gets you to signup.

I almost lost it when they had parts of technet(?) that you can’t even visit without it prompting you to sign-in with your MS account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

this looks cool http://github.com/FiloSottile/age easy asymmetric encryption with short public keys, either it's own thing or can reuse ed25519 ssh keys. i need something like this so infrequently that i can never remember any gpg commands or know where my old key is or anything.

also that led me to his other thing which generates a root ca for yourself and shoves it in your root store then lets you easily generate certs for dev, which again, figuring out the commands for it when you don’t do it all the time is so tedious https://github.com/FiloSottile/mkcert