Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

with blocks like that you can really IP freely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

BattleMaster posted:

Lmao

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

abigserve posted:

I worked at a place that had 8 class Bs and several class Cs of public addressing and no, they weren't an ISP. That job slapped

when I was at motorola all the bog standard office PCs, servers, printers, all got public IP addresses

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I think Xerox used to have some subsidiaries which offered MSP services. We have a client who we took on and their internal subnet was a 13.xx. Apparently they were set up with that for remote management from their time with a Xerox affiliated service provider.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

~Coxy posted:

when I was at motorola all the bog standard office PCs, servers, printers, all got public IP addresses

worked at a couple places like this. wired or wireless, you got a public address via dhcp, usually with a handful of in bound ports filtered.

stoked about a potential new gig where I get to manage ddi across a mishmash of assignments:

/16 * 2
/17 * 2
/18
/19 * 2
/21 * 2
/22
/23
/24 * 2
/28

/32 (v6)

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

looking at how ipv4 space hoarding turned out you cant really fault the crypto bros from thinking that laying stake to some digital resource could be a goldmine

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
ipv4 is useful

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

4lokos basilisk posted:

looking at how ipv4 space hoarding turned out you cant really fault the crypto bros from thinking that laying stake to some digital resource could be a goldmine
you absolutely can, and i do

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

good news, there is going to be a preponderance of QQ soon

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
my pixels on the million dollar homepage are bound to pay off soon

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Jabor posted:

my pixels on the million dollar homepage are bound to pay off soon

you didnt learn from your posts?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Crime on a Dime posted:

ipv4 is useful

yeah but can you build a virtual golf course on it?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

you do not, under any circumstances, gotta hand it to them etc.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

anyone knows whats up with the 10+ apple related 10/10 cves from this weekend? i recall some libresolv related undisclosed issues but maybe they got downgraded and/or are already patched?

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
idk but i was on a work trip last week and updated my watch, phone, and computer to new software releases as soon as they were available, during the meeting, despite the risk of updating a computer while away from time machine backups and the ability to restore the machine, because the security issues described as fixed in the release notes were that bad

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

to be frank, system updates on any major workstation platform don't really threaten data integrity :colbert:

when was the last time a significant number of users lost data due to a Windows patch, for example? There was one earlier this year for Server 2019 where people running softraid ReFS with dedupe and compression on thumbdrives temporarily lost functionality, I guess.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Systems just don't drop data during patching anymore

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

no, they just render themselves unbootable until you use some form of system recovery to restore and try again

mystes
May 31, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

to be frank, system updates on any major workstation platform don't really threaten data integrity :colbert:

when was the last time a significant number of users lost data due to a Windows patch, for example? There was one earlier this year for Server 2019 where people running softraid ReFS with dedupe and compression on thumbdrives temporarily lost functionality, I guess.

Anymore since the last major windows 10 update data loss bug (checks notes) 376 days ago, you mean?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Potato Salad posted:

any time you're stupid enough to leave your computer on with unsaved work, mostly, as i found out again this morning

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Zamujasa posted:

any time you're stupid enough to leave your computer on with unsaved work, mostly, as i found out again this morning

unsaved data is unrealized data, and any losses thereto are merely notional  :smaug:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

carry on then posted:

no, they just render themselves unbootable until you use some form of system recovery to restore and try again

If Windows updates could stop bricking the system sometime soon that'd be nice.

If I could properly verify my backups sometime soon that'd be nice.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Grace Baiting posted:

unsaved data is unrealized data, and any losses thereto are merely notional  :smaug:

I’m not losing data I’m Data Loss Harvesting

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

endlessmonotony posted:

If I could properly verify my backups sometime soon that'd be nice.

yeah i do miss backing up my kubuntu laptop via btrfs snapshot syncing to my server, letting me browse the full contents of backups from the server itself, rather than configuring samba as a time machine endpoint and having macos create a sparsebundle in that share

i should probably make a macos virtual machine and try restoring from that backup very soon to make sure that actually works

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
data_loss_edit.jpg

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Lysidas posted:

yeah i do miss backing up my kubuntu laptop via btrfs snapshot syncing to my server, letting me browse the full contents of backups from the server itself, rather than configuring samba as a time machine endpoint and having macos create a sparsebundle in that share

i should probably make a macos virtual machine and try restoring from that backup very soon to make sure that actually works

My recent adventure was "I've got backups, and they're encrypted, and I've got a backup of the encryption key too!".

"Where's the backup of the encryption key?" "In the encrypted backup isn't it."

Now I had an unencrypted older copy of that backup, which had the encryption key, so I wasn't boned by that, but still a real Good Job Genius moment.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Lysidas posted:

it should work even if the backup is sorta hosed. time machine just copies over the old system files etc. when doing a restore, so unless it's corrupted enough that you won't get a bootable system it won't fail

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

dpkg chopra posted:

my new cryptocurrency uses proof-of-loss

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

dpkg chopra posted:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

my new cryptocurrency uses proof-of-loss

I II II L

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
how dare you besmirch Elon's daughter

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
my new cryptocurrency uses poof-of-stake

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

my new cryptocurrency uses poof-of-stake
good ol' Buffycoin

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
my new hawkcoin requires proof-of-skate

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
What's taviso been up to lately?

https://lock.cmpxchg8b.com/linux123.html

Lotus 1-2-3 for linux!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

fins posted:

Lotus 1-2-3 for linux!

lmao owns

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

fins posted:

Lotus 1-2-3 for linux!

drat this seriously does own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'