Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

post hole digger posted:

either thats a fuckup or the post is, because it says Yubico Security Key NFC at $10 USD and the Yubico Security Key C NFC at $11.60 USD

https://i.imgur.com/7wwgRz1.png

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

:eyepop:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I'm gonna sign up for 10 if that's the case

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

at least it’s not a Yubico Security Key NFT

mystes
May 31, 2006

drat I hope I get the email before they fix that

mystes
May 31, 2006

Yay I ordered some yubikeys.

I wonder if they're just about to release a new version so they're just unloading the 5's instead of security keys or something though.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

From the email:

mystes
May 31, 2006

yeah I didn't actually read the email except for the code

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

FCKGW posted:

From the email:

well now I don't feel like I'm getting away with anything :mad:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

so how do i get in on this yubikey sale?

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Achmed Jones posted:

so how do i get in on this yubikey sale?

1. have cloudflare account
b. go here https://dash.cloudflare.com/?to=/:account/yubico-promotion

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Thank you! I should have a code in 1-3 days. Neat!

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Achmed Jones posted:

Thank you! I should have a code in 1-3 days. Neat!

it took like 3 hours for me

I have a 5 nfc and a 5 ci so I’m probably going to buy a 5 c nfc and another 5 nfc

i think this puts me at like 10 yubikeys lmao

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I bought a yubikey and have no idea why :buddy:

everything is in 1password anyways

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

FCKGW posted:

I bought a yubikey and have no idea why :buddy:

everything is in 1password anyways

backup mfa if you make your phone the primary mfa mechanism (either by totp or whatever)

If you have google mail, you can register multiple mfa mechanisms. So you can hook it up to totp or google app as a primary mfa, then register the yubico as a backup and keep it in a bank lockbox or sealed and under a toilet tank lid or whatever.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

FCKGW posted:

From the email:

are the codes shareable? e: nvm caught up

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Lain Iwakura posted:

Unlikely.

Stuxnet was not only a complex attack but the whole operation was clandestine and intentionally vague in its origins. Nobody officially admitted to its creation even though it was produced by the United States and Israel. Russia is not unwise to these sort of attacks on its industrial control systems and unlike Iran is unlikely to fall victim to the same tactics due to the nature of the country being the source of such attacks themselves.

I would not rule out the possibility of a Ukraine or someone aligned with Ukraine attacking Russian industrial control systems, but Stuxnet was such a huge investment of time and money and it would be easy to tip one's hand very fast were the tactic to be used today. You're more likely to see someone on Twitter brag about finding some random water flow system for a distillery or some sort of traffic light system via Shodan than something like the 2015 Ukrainian power outage.

Basically, Stuxnet was a slow boil and is now too obvious to anyone familiar with this stuff. Would not rule it out, but I am not going to bet on it.

(Source: my line of work is to deal with these sort of things.)

i would laugh so hard if i were wrong though

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
also worth pointing out that stuxnet prevented manufacture of nukes. not a lot a virus can do to a mature, decades-long nuclear program that already has a bunch of warheads sitting on icbms in silos

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

haveblue posted:

also worth pointing out that stuxnet prevented manufacture of nukes. not a lot a virus can do to a mature, decades-long nuclear program that already has a bunch of warheads sitting on icbms in silos

Aren't the US supply still operated by obsolete floppy disks or some poo poo too? Seems like it'd be harder to leave a 'rubber ducky' floppy disk around like they did with stuxnet to bridge the air-gap.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

except maybe cause an accidental launch

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I think with stuxnet, there was an actual insider that introduced the virus.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

sb hermit posted:

I think with stuxnet, there was an actual insider that introduced the virus.

to the best of my knowledge (and my memory is hazy on this), i think it relied on expected channels to find its way into the iranian control networks. i am thinking that this is the case because non-iranian targets were what tipped off everybody on its existence. however, by the time we all knew about it, so many centrifuges were hosed up meaning it accomplished its mission anyway

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

haveblue posted:

yeah stuxnet was unique in that iran's centrifuges were both centralized in one place AND hard for them to replace. It represented a true single point of failure in their nuclear plans so attacking it made a ton of sense. there really isnt an equivalent target in russia that would make that kind of investment worthwhile.

that said there are almost certainly more basic attacks going on all the time. You dont need a stuxnet when you can bribe an underpaid conscript to just give you access. Additionally using that kind of access for sabotage is probably not worthj it in alot of cases. If you're on the control network for a small arms factory, is detection really worth the sabotage? no probably not, both because the replacements are easier to come by and there are dozens of other factories doing the same thing. Its probably more worthwhile to just sit there and soak up production data. and even if you DID sabotage a factory like that, are the russians gonna tell anyone?

so if the US gov is in there loving around we're probably not gonna know about it, but there probably arent any targets worthy of a stuxnet level investment.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
loving with industrial control can become obvious very fast and i say this as someone who has first-hand experience with multiple incidents involving this scenario

if you have control systems people watching stuff like a hawk (and i would expect as much in both ukraine and russia), you're going to have to play a long game and because of that it is not easy

there is a reason why russia has been physically attacking water supplies for ukraine's nuclear plants

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

sb hermit posted:

when my dad told me that he forgot how to take a screenshot of his iphone, I told him to just let mom take a picture of it and send it to me.

It's a bit of a blessing that he can't send screenshots, because if he actually could send it himself, he would use iMessage and then I wouldn't see it for weeks

why not?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

because I don't have iMessage, and the message doesn't get sent by sms because of how that ecosystem is designed. Instead, it uses other contact information (namely, my e-mail address linked to my apple account) to get the message to me.

But because the only device associated with that apple account is an iPhone that doesn't get turned on except for an occasional update, I am not informed that I have a message until I turn that phone on.

On the other hand, I have convinced him to use kakaotalk (which he uses to chat with literally everyone else) to send me text messages so it works out. And he can call me if it's more urgent.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

looks like the info is now officially out, I think

https://www.cisa.gov/uscert/ncas/current-activity/2022/09/30/microsoft-releases-guidance-zero-day-vulnerabilities-microsoft

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

sb hermit posted:

because I don't have iMessage, and the message doesn't get sent by sms because of how that ecosystem is designed. Instead, it uses other contact information (namely, my e-mail address linked to my apple account) to get the message to me.

But because the only device associated with that apple account is an iPhone that doesn't get turned on except for an occasional update, I am not informed that I have a message until I turn that phone on.

On the other hand, I have convinced him to use kakaotalk (which he uses to chat with literally everyone else) to send me text messages so it works out. And he can call me if it's more urgent.

why haven’t you turned off your iMessage account?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

pseudorandom name posted:

why haven’t you turned off your iMessage account?

because I don't need to?

this has only been an issue for my dad, and I'm switching to iPhone anyway when I finish migrating my data off my android

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

sb hermit posted:

I mean… why don’t you have iMessage? is something wrong with you??

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

sb hermit posted:

because I don't need to?

this has only been an issue for my dad, and I'm switching to iPhone anyway when I finish migrating my data off my android

And yet here you are complaining about it instead of simply fixing it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

akadajet posted:

clearly, they don't have imessage

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

as a professional computer toucher, I think it's a far safer bet to leave a configuration alone when it works well enough, than to change it and:

• advise all the people whom that configuration option affects (in this case, all iPhone users that text me with iMessage) regarding this change.
  • watch out for personal issues, caveats, and anomalies related to changing that configuration option that I am responsible for
  • remember to change it back when needed because I forget poo poo all the time

Maybe I have it turned off. I dunno. All I know is that whenever my dad texts his contact for me on iPhone, it uses my apple account to try to contact me on iMessage. The best solution is to tell him to send me text messages like he does to everyone else, which is Kakaotalk.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

akadajet posted:

I have to know how the other side lives their lives outside the apple ecosystem because part of my responsibilities are in IT

infernal machines posted:

clearly, they don't have imessage

thank you

akadajet posted:

And yet here you are complaining about it instead of simply fixing it

:confused:

but the problem is fixed. he doesn't use iMessage to contact me.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

you know what

now that I think about it, he was probably using siri to dictate messages to me

so I broke a convenient workflow for him, but maybe it's for the better

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
imessage?

well, i don't :colbert:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Zamujasa posted:

imessage?

well, i don't :colbert:

get some friends then

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

driving back from evacuatin' due to the hurricane, we stopped at a rest stop that had a wendy's built in, and the wendy's had touch screen kiosks for ordering. one of them had the kiosk application crash when i was using it, which left me at a normal-rear end windows 10 desktop with nothing locked down at all, logged in as an administrator :discourse:

i'm pretty sure this wasn't the first time it'd happened either cuz when i popped open the browser, google showed the most recent searches and top of the list was "one piece manga chapter online"

e: oh i almost forgot "golf courses near me", florida :allears:

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 30, 2022

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Shame Boy posted:

driving back from evacuatin' due to the hurricane, we stopped at a rest stop that had a wendy's built in, and the wendy's had touch screen kiosks for ordering. one of them had the kiosk application crash when i was using it, which left me at a normal-rear end windows 10 desktop with nothing locked down at all, logged in as an administrator :discourse:

i'm pretty sure this wasn't the first time it'd happened either cuz when i popped open the browser, google showed the most recent searches and top of the list was "one piece manga chapter online"

e: oh i almost forgot "golf courses near me", florida :allears:

wanna watch a comedy featuring a bumbling spy looking for directions to mar-a-lago without giving himself away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

wait can you upgrade your dad?

my mum had a few goes at it, not recommended