Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Christmas ruined after running PPID on myself returns 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Lain Iwakura posted:

if you have control systems people watching stuff like a hawk (and i would expect as much in both ukraine and russia),

With how the year has been going, I'm not sure how much I can agree with the Russia part of this statement.

dpkg chopra posted:

Christmas ruined after running PPID on myself returns 1

Could be worse, at least you have(?) a pp to id.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

that was a hell of a cold chill to get on a weekend. turned out to be a false positive, something about the servicenow mid server agent upgrade process caused it.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

long shot but anyone here ever been involved in doing an ACSC IRAP assessment? we're building an environment at work that needs to be IRAP assessed and we've already got a lot of insight to the process and sufficient people working on it but any tips anyone might have would be tite.

semi-related. here is a valuable resource for what if you're doing M365 poo poo in AU, the DTA Protected Utility blueprint is aligned with ACSC ISM Protected so you can basically copy+paste it for your design and blam, ISM aligned: https://desktop.gov.au/blueprint/index.html

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/archillect/status/1576671030298513410

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Wholesome exploitation

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH6m_lyHrY8

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

shouts to the realists

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
two fronts 😉

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
but cmon who don't respect the msining

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/qusaialhaddad/status/1577278610410307584?s=46&t=LNlCiROHIKfuMv2HK7y5jA

i know that all these sites are probably safe but it’s pretty lol that a lot of advice on the internet is essentially “just pipe this url straight into your terminal it’ll be ok I promise”

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

alias yolo="curl $1 | sudo bash"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
There's absolutely nothing dangerous about using curl to access a web site.

The dangerous bit is if you take the result of that request and do something stupid with it, like pipe it to sh or whatever.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yeah, without a pipe/cat/whatever it's just displaying the return from the url, it's not passing it to anything

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
until you curl the goat man

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jabor posted:

There's absolutely nothing dangerous about using curl to access a web site.
Escape code injection?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

dpkg chopra posted:

until you curl the goat man

would rather pipe

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mystes posted:

Escape code injection?

the data is not submitted to a command interpreter so the best you can do is mess up the terminal formatting

to get something to be executed you’d have to exploit curl itself and that’s probably a pretty mature and bulletproof codebase by now

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Kitfox88 posted:

would rather pipe

mystes
May 31, 2006

haveblue posted:

the data is not submitted to a command interpreter so the best you can do is mess up the terminal formatting

to get something to be executed you’d have to exploit curl itself and that’s probably a pretty mature and bulletproof codebase by now
The issue is more with terminals. Ideally you shouldn't be able to do anything malicious but iirc there have been a lot of terminal vulnerabilities leading to arbitrary code execution in the past, so a lot of programs will filter out escape codes from untrusted data when displaying it to a terminal to be safe but curl doesn't.

Of course cat doesn't either

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
It is actually worse.

curl won't run code unless you find a bad exploit or pipe it into sh or whatever.

On the other hand, web browsers will happily run ANY CODE sent to them by a web site.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

mystes posted:

The issue is more with terminals. Ideally you shouldn't be able to do anything malicious but iirc there have been a lot of terminal vulnerabilities leading to arbitrary code execution in the past, so a lot of programs will filter out escape codes from untrusted data when displaying it to a terminal to be safe but curl doesn't.

what terminal vulnerabilities are you talking about? which ones actually lead to code execution?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

mystes posted:

terminals can do some crazy loving poo poo

many years ago i had a debian box with cups and xterm. one day i accidentally cat my resume pdf to my terminal and it of course fucks up the terminal itself. i either reset or closed the term and moved on with life. short while later my boss stops by my desk with a garbled copy of my resume and asked what was up.

that was when i learned there is a control sequence called media copy that can cause xterm to spew terminal contents out to lpr and on to cups.

outhole surfer fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Oct 5, 2022

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

in colleg i once crashed one of the solaris workstations by cat /dev/random'ing and just leaving it going for a while :allears:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i miss the days when you could cat /dev/urandom into /dev/fb0 for a snow crash

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

the first time i installed linux i booted it up, played around a bit and noticed i couldn't do anything useful with it, and just tried various combinations of

cat /dev/urandom > /dev/sd0

until i bricked the machine

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
curl wttr.in

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Carbon dioxide posted:

It is actually worse.

curl won't run code unless you find a bad exploit or pipe it into sh or whatever.

On the other hand, web browsers will happily run ANY CODE sent to them by a web site.

otoh browsers are a very big target that know they do code execution, and have had a lot of effort put into hardening and mitigations. they're also updated frequently

shells... not so much

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i mean in aggregate yeah, browsers are far and away a bigger risk. i'm just saying: never trust someone who believes in unixes enough to voluntarily write a shell

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

redleader posted:

i mean in aggregate yeah, browsers are far and away a bigger risk. i'm just saying: never trust someone who believes in unixes enough to voluntarily write a shell

I knew a guy who was big in Zsh development back in the late 90s, and based on that I subscribe to your theory.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Antigravitas posted:

curl wttr.in

i love that site, it's so neat.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

haveblue posted:

I trust curl too, but they think there’s room for improvement which is why they’re replacing some parts of it with Rust components

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

I trust curl too, but they think there’s room for improvement which is why they’re replacing some parts of it with Rust components

I'm not sure "replacing" is the right way to think about it. curl is adding optional backends for HTTP (using the hyper crate) and TLS (using rustls), but that doesn't mean they're throwing away the other backends (curl supports a good half dozen different TLS implementations). This would be a non-starter for distros that don't have Rust toolchains in their build system.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Kitfox88 posted:

would rather pipe

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/gsuberland/status/1577708428721623054

my favorite computer themed rap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rG74rG_ubs

mystes
May 31, 2006

I guess this would be some great "technically correct" logic if the PCI DSS used the word plaintext without defining it or, indeed, used the word plaintext at all.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i love that site, it's so neat.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

storing PII in my unsecured databases like

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

sorry but thats.. not good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

zero knowledge posted:

This would be a non-starter for distros that don't have Rust toolchains in their build system.

they’re already not building Firefox then, and soon they’ll need it for some kernel drivers, so they’re probably not rustless for very long if they want to stay up to date

still some platforms that need an llvm port, I guess