Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Carthag Tuek posted:

nets (the company that runs nemid) just got swallowed by an italian company called nexi so...
welp, this is gonna be fun then, can't wait :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Carthag Tuek posted:

nets (the company that runs nemid) just got swallowed by an italian company called nexi so...

just wire me already, you’ll at least know your money will be spent on mundane poo poo like dental implant

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Carthag Tuek posted:

Anectodal since I’ve interacted with them in the past but Nexi(formerly known as CartaSI) is the sole entity in Italy that has been able to roll out every tokenized payment in existence(including Garmin and Samsung pay) while the rest of the banks had a thumb deep in their asses, they are far from the dumbest entity you could interact in the sector. Most banks here are now dropping their current in-house systems to a nexi-provided solution to not look like assholes.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

welp, this is gonna be fun then, can't wait :allears:

lookin forward to ic3 version 2.0 lmao

e:

SlowBloke posted:

Anectodal since I’ve interacted with them in the past but Nexi(formerly known as CartaSI) is the sole entity in Italy that has been able to roll out every tokenized payment in existence(including Garmin and Samsung pay) while the rest of the banks had a thumb deep in their asses, they are far from the dumbest entity you could interact in the sector. Most banks here are now dropping their current in-house systems to a nexi-provided solution to not look like assholes.

okay tbf that doesnt sound terrible

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

does anyone maintain a comprehensive list of APT group labels that get used?

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Trabisnikof posted:

https://askubuntu.com/a/27515

but seriously, I've always leaned on https://www.fireeye.com/current-threats/apt-groups.html

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Trabisnikof posted:

the FBI probably does

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

lol and thanks

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Trabisnikof posted:

mandia-

damnit

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
https://cookieconsentspeed.run
:golfclap:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

those cowards don't attribute any of them to the us

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

this game doesn't appear to honor the Do Not Track header

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
I couldn't beat level 2

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://twitter.com/_markel___/status/1373059797155778562
is this bad

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i don’t have any idea what “red unlocked” state is, but it’s probably something you need to be running as the kernel to do, which means it’s more a funny hardware trick than a security risk. but if there’s a way to get around that then it’s probably a total protection bypass

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
loving with microarchitectural state is probably a great way to lock your processor up, though

animist
Aug 28, 2018

rjmccall posted:

loving with microarchitectural state is probably a great way to lock your processor up, though

im gonna overwrite all the microcode with D3ADBEEF

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

rjmccall posted:

so its an effective attack

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

rjmccall posted:

i don’t have any idea what “red unlocked” state is, but it’s probably something you need to be running as the kernel to do, which means it’s more a funny hardware trick than a security risk. but if there’s a way to get around that then it’s probably a total protection bypass
From here: https://i.blackhat.com/asia-19/Thu-March-28/bh-asia-Goryachy-Ermolov-Intel-Visa-Through-the-Rabbit-Hole.pdf

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

rjmccall posted:

presumably it is stricter than that because full micro-architectural state implies the ability to mess with encrypted memory and virtualization

The NPC
Nov 21, 2010

pseudorandom name posted:

presumably it is stricter than that because full micro-architectural state implies the ability to mess with encrypted memory and virtualization

Would this allow persistence at the microcode level?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Unlikely since I'm pretty sure regular microcode patches still need to be reapplied during early boot, there's no persistence there.

If you were doing anything in secure enclaves and expecting it to remain immune to tampering from the host system, though, then you may want to reconsider that.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

pseudorandom name posted:

that's a good point, although lol @ intel encrypted memory

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Carthag Tuek posted:

so its an effective attack

i wouldn't expect anything this could do to be set-the-cpu-on-fire levels of bad. it might be halt-the-processor levels of bad, but if you have access to the protection levels that can run this instruction, you can do that already

the presentation above is impenetrable; it's just slides full of text referencing things i don't know anything about. maybe one of the hardware folks who hang out here speak intel technology gibberish well enough to say what level of access you're supposed to have to use this thing. but i think it isn't really interesting on a security level unless the protection enforcement on it is unexpectedly weak

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

dangit. i was looking forward to the end of cpus :(

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Look forward to the End of NFTs instead.

A Thread:

https://twitter.com/jonty/status/1372163423446917122?s=20

lmao, just lmao at this amazing grift

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

As a general rule, if Mark or Maxim posts about something and you have to ask yourself if it's bad, then yes, yes it is.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
lol at censoring the single byte value tho

ComWalk
Mar 4, 2007

rjmccall posted:

i wouldn't expect anything this could do to be set-the-cpu-on-fire levels of bad. it might be halt-the-processor levels of bad, but if you have access to the protection levels that can run this instruction, you can do that already

the presentation above is impenetrable; it's just slides full of text referencing things i don't know anything about. maybe one of the hardware folks who hang out here speak intel technology gibberish well enough to say what level of access you're supposed to have to use this thing. but i think it isn't really interesting on a security level unless the protection enforcement on it is unexpectedly weak

Having the ME in Red unlock mode essentially implies full control over the cpu boot vectors and read/write access to physical memory. It means almost everything that could be considered a security boundary is already broken, and means even things like SGX/encrypted memory are compromised.

It's supposed to be intel-only but there have been a few documented ways to get vulnerable hardware in the wild into this mode (see: here) in the last few years.

This is cool, however, for enabling analysis of microcode updates like reversing out an exhaustive list of what MSRs have actually been added by microcode updates over time. Basically, we might finally see the intel version of this talk that did something similar for older AMD cpus. Decrypting intel microcode updates was already possible, but there was no way to modify them in order to do the sort of differential debugging that enabled the AMD work that was necessary to actually block-box reverse the instruction set.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, no idea how bad this is for security right at this moment, but for long-term public understanding of cpu security this is surely great.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
having access to architecture state and microcode means you can easily extract all the various ~secret keys~, so even with all the security implications this is a net positive thing

ComWalk
Mar 4, 2007

Truga posted:

having access to architecture state and microcode means you can easily extract all the various ~secret keys~, so even with all the security implications this is a net positive thing

The group responsible for this new discovery has actually already extracted most of those already thanks to the ME red unlock (also their work). see: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/10/in-a-first-researchers-extract-secret-key-used-to-encrypt-intel-cpu-code/ and http://blog.ptsecurity.com/2020/03/intelx86-root-of-trust-loss-of-trust.html

Looking through their twitter it looks like they found the microcode implementation of these instructions a month ago: https://twitter.com/_markel___/status/1364279711912898561

The new bit is they finally found out what x86 instruction mapped to it.

Interestingly it looks like they've already got a pretty decent understanding of the microcode instruction set if they've been disassembling microcoded instruction behaviors. This will certainly make things easier for them though.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

i love how utterly impenetrable this tweet is, and how meaningless the highlighted bit is

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
seems like this intel security hole is more of compromising intel encrypted "IP" rather then having any implications for exploiting any running system.

but im just a dumb former ee student

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

redleader posted:

i love how utterly impenetrable this tweet is, and how meaningless the highlighted bit is

i think i don't quite understand modern intel microarchitecture well enough for this, but it looks like essentially a microarchitectural longjmp, i.e. it's restoring microarchitecture state from memory and then doing an indirect branch in micro-ops. the weirdest thing is that the branch target is not in microarchitecture state but actually the value in the architectural rax register, implying that the whole thing is actually implementing some (undocumented but still isa-level) instruction to do this. which is presumably one of the instructions he found later

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

seems like this intel security hole is more of compromising intel encrypted "IP" rather then having any implications for exploiting any running system.

but im just a dumb former ee student

it isn't a security hole

ComWalk
Mar 4, 2007
It turns out I’m wrong and they’ve had microcode r/w since last year when they managed to dump microcode contents, but they were doing it with hardware debug access to the crbus (also requiring a red mode unlock). What’s new I guess is the ability to self-host this kind of prodding at the microcode without need for a hardware debugger?

This is what they had last year: https://twitter.com/h0t_max/status/1316028532972281856, which involved going through the openipc interface, so a platform that had been prepared along the lines of what’s seen here: https://github.com/chip-red-pill/IntelTXE-PoC

This team basically managed to knock over ME completely 3 years ago, and they’re 3+ years into taking inventory of just how much access that actually gives them. Intel’s platform has a lot of moving parts.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
just tell me whether this lets me disable the security features that make my CPU slow

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

yes, in the sense that security mitigations are controlled by MSRs and the MSRs are a part of the microarchitectural state that you can write

but it'd be easier to just write to the MSRs with the WRMSR instruction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/Esquiring/status/1373409754886864898