Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Crankit posted:

the fuse is to stop faulty appliances catching fire, not anything to do with ring circuits.

i didn’t know lucas made appliances

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

more fuses is more better. pretty cheap safety all told.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The_Franz posted:

do british houses still have cold water storage tanks in the attic that get filled up with dust, insects and dead mice?
its still pretty common in ireland but in gb almost all houses have natural gas to heat water

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

its still pretty common in ireland but in gb almost all houses have natural gas to heat water
and soon if r&d works out hydrogen, in the meantime replace the grid with wind water and nuclear

the tanks are p much all decommissioned, but whether they were removed or left sitting empty depends on the owner

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

iceland I think uses high pressure geothermal steam for heating water in cities. bore hole gets drilled into a geothermal steam activity layer or whatever it's actually called, pipe gets connected, high pressure steam gets shot into town and becomes cool and condensed enough to be a useful heat exchanger on the way there

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

more fuses is more better. pretty cheap safety all told.

the fact that the US doesn’t have fuses in all cords, especially extension cords, is pretty poo poo tbh

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Crankit posted:

the fuse is to stop faulty appliances catching fire, not anything to do with ring circuits.

normal people just have a fuse box, because appliances aren't faulty that often

Kazinsal posted:

iceland I think uses high pressure geothermal steam for heating water in cities. bore hole gets drilled into a geothermal steam activity layer or whatever it's actually called, pipe gets connected, high pressure steam gets shot into town and becomes cool and condensed enough to be a useful heat exchanger on the way there

and it all smells like farts. You get used to it after a couple of showers but up until then it's plain weird

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Crankit posted:

Because the loving limeys didn't have fuseboxes, because ring mains. HTH.

FFS it wasn't that long ago that most appliances were sold without a loving plug there.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

yeah I remember a tom scott video a while back about how british kids learned how to install plugs on power cords in school because it was a necessary household skill

entirely unsurprised that the english kept around ways to force children to do industrial tasks all the way into the 21st century

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

evil_bunnY posted:

Because the loving limeys didn't have fuseboxes, because ring mains. HTH.

What makes you think having a ring main precludes the possibility of having a fuse box (it doesn't, you have one fuse per circuit and they live in a fuse box)

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Rufus Ping posted:

What makes you think having a ring main precludes the possibility of having a fuse box (it doesn't, you have one fuse per circuit and they live in a fuse box)

then why didn’t they do this instead of having a fuse on everything

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the fuses/breakers in the box protect the wires inside the walls, they don’t care about the four extension cords you have plugged into a splitter into a single outlet

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Boiled Water posted:

then why didn’t they do this instead of having a fuse on everything

Because a faulty kettle shouldn't be able to draw 30A before blowing and then knock half your house out in the process

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
fuse box and fuses in the cables solve different problems. if you have a 20 gauge extension cord that thing will melt before you trip the circuit breaker.

the reason why brits need fuses on everything is lol, but fuses on everything would be a good idea even with sane wiring

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

yeah, and a lot of 80s computer equipment used to have replaceable fuses in the power supplies iirc. higher end guitar amplifiers still do too because their peak current draw is proportional to the input they receive from the instrument so if you absolutely blast a chord with super hot active pickups going into a loud rear end boost pedal your amp is going to go "oh gently caress here we go again" and instead of a red hot vacuum tube exploding and lighting your rig on fire the fuse will just blow

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

yeah, and a lot of 80s computer equipment used to have replaceable fuses in the power supplies iirc. higher end guitar amplifiers still do too because their peak current draw is proportional to the input they receive from the instrument so if you absolutely blast a chord with super hot active pickups going into a loud rear end boost pedal your amp is going to go "oh gently caress here we go again" and instead of a red hot vacuum tube exploding and lighting your rig on fire the fuse will just blow

that first outcome is a feature for some performers.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Midjack posted:

that first outcome is a feature for some performers.

"due to the lead guitarist blowing up a boogie at the end of every show ticket prices have had to increase by $10 this tour"

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

"due to the lead guitarist blowing up a boogie at the end of every show ticket prices have had to increase by $10 this tour"

https://youtu.be/ZF_unm13wnM

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Kazinsal posted:

very, very regrettably it smells strongly of sulphur, so if you greet your loved one after a shower they stink like rotten eggs

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Kesper North posted:

very, very regrettably it smells strongly of sulphur, so if you greet your loved one after a shower they stink like rotten eggs

oh man I didn't know they were running it straight into the water systems, I thought it was a heat exchanger system

faaaaaaaaart look out here comes my icelandic shower

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
in contrast the dutch just used it to power their ovens

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Kazinsal posted:

oh man I didn't know they were running it straight into the water systems, I thought it was a heat exchanger system

faaaaaaaaart look out here comes my icelandic shower

iceland has two valves on its taps. one dispenses crystalline pure water that has been filtered through lava rock for millions of years and comes out at a temperature of 0.1C and the other is a tap that dispenses fire and brimstone at 1000C. you risk life and limb turning on the tap in a hotel room and sticking your hand in because this world could end in fire or it could end in ice and, well, do you feel lucky punk

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

The_Franz posted:

do british houses still have cold water storage tanks in the attic that get filled up with dust, insects and dead mice?

In Malta we do but that's mostly because the mains pressure is so bad.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Jabor posted:

in contrast the dutch just used it to power their ovens

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

xtal posted:

I wash myself with a rag on a stick

lol

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

the only valid criticism of british plugs is that they are loving painful to step on

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

pointsofdata posted:

the only valid criticism of british plugs is that they are loving painful to step on
They're a legit good physical design, it's the rest of the hoopla that's a bit silly

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Crankit posted:

it has everything to do with ring circuits. they're breaker'd to deliver significantly higher current than spur circuits, while also only actually being able to carry 2/3 of that current on any one conductor. this is both more likely to light the faulty appliance cord on fire, and more likely to light the wires in the walls on fire if the load is highly unbalanced

fuses in plugs are a real good idea in general though :shrug:

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Kazinsal posted:

yeah I remember a tom scott video a while back about how british kids learned how to install plugs on power cords in school because it was a necessary household skill

entirely unsurprised that the english kept around ways to force children to do industrial tasks all the way into the 21st century

a useful life skill to this day when Ali Express sellers send the wrong thing.

but it was 94 it became mandatory to sell with the correct UK plug, not quite the 21st century.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Cerv posted:

a useful life skill to this day when Ali Express sellers send the wrong thing.

but it was 94 it became mandatory to sell with the correct UK plug, not quite the 21st century.

who managed to force their hand? please say the eu

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

it’s useful to know how to wire the plug anyway, i have a hidden conduit for my wall-mounted tv that is too narrow for a plug to pass through, so cutting and rewiring is the only option if the power lead isn’t detachable from the television set

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

jesus WEP posted:

it’s useful to know how to wire the plug anyway, i have a hidden conduit for my wall-mounted tv that is too narrow for a plug to pass through, so cutting and rewiring is the only option if the power lead isn’t detachable from the television set

it is so useful, but at the same time I imagine most people will never need it, so having a ton of home-wired plugs surely must increase the amount of faults in said plugs

a sort of self-sec-power-own

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

who managed to force their hand? please say the eu

nope, it was just domestic matter

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

jesus WEP posted:

I thought code prohibited running power leads through walls. I think here at least you have to use stuff with appropriate rating like Romex or whatever. I bought a kit that is basically a fire-safe extension cord with faceplates at each end, and some day I will get around to installing it.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
actual secfuck: the company security team blocked a bunch of domains over the weekend, including the CDN that hosts bootstrap, which we use on one of our main sites lol. sorry end users!

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Chris Knight posted:

actual secfuck: the company security team blocked a bunch of domains over the weekend, including the CDN that hosts bootstrap, which we use on one of our main sites lol. sorry end users!

lol. nice.
Old workplace used to block all .rs TLDs making any Rust development and research near impossible. :thumbsup:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
are the clients external? in that case it should still work, right? you just can't develop the site

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Subjunctive posted:

I thought code prohibited running power leads through walls. I think here at least you have to use stuff with appropriate rating like Romex or whatever. I bought a kit that is basically a fire-safe extension cord with faceplates at each end, and some day I will get around to installing it.

it’s almost certainly against code everywhere with modern code standards but when has that stopped the diyer (myself included)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

buncha scofflaws itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
new online banking service, in 2021.. max 12 characters, letters and numbers only :suicide101: