Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Plorkyeran posted:

mostly. the big downside is that it now takes multiple hours to install a security update for safari instead of five minutes and that's gonna reduce how many people are fully up-to-date.
the joke was that no os at all is good for security

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

~Coxy posted:

Isn't Safari on the main volume?

safari.app is mostly just a gui wrapper around a bunch of system libraries, and most of the security-relevant bits are in those libraries

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

you didn't say file lock until just then, though

no, I was talking about lock files, like the original discussion

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I think leaving your files unlocked and running should be a felony like with your car

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

always clunk your fids

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

File locks are the best mystery.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

keep your files in a trapper keeper for extra security

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I just write a big note on the login screen that says "NO FILES IN OS"

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Nvidia update comes with notice “our drivers carry less than 20 files”

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hed posted:

lmao

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Hed posted:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i simply don't lock my files. a system can rummage around my disk all it wants; like my posts, there's nothing of value there

Hed posted:

lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Agile Vector posted:

i simply don't lock my files. a system can rummage around my disk all it wants; like my posts, there's nothing of value there

the stallman method

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Hed posted:

yessss

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fresh safari vuln https://fingerprintjs.com/blog/indexeddb-api-browser-vulnerability-safari-15/

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Hed posted:

lmao

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Hed posted:

someone explain this one, idgi

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ymgve posted:

someone explain this one, idgi

delivery-focused companies usually write "our drivers carry less than $20" somewhere on the delivery vehicle or pizza box or whatever to discourage people from trying to rob the driver (and explain why they can't give change for a fifty or w/e)

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

El Mero Mero posted:

I just write a big note on the login screen that says "NO FILES IN OS"

Hed posted:

good

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/atomicthumbs/status/1482859329858404352?s=20

oh hey atomicthumbs

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

pretty normal isn't it, at least with hardware crypto "disabled" is often just the key being freely available rather than a special path where the bits hit the storage 1:1?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

pretty normal isn't it, at least with hardware crypto "disabled" is often just the key being freely available rather than a special path where the bits hit the storage 1:1?

guess its good to know the hardware TPM requirement for W11 was in fact entirely arbitrary

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jenny Agutter posted:

guess its good to know the hardware TPM requirement for W11 was in fact entirely arbitrary

what security boundary are you trying to preserve here though, if the expectation is no encryption leaving the key out in the open seems perfectly fine, involving tpm to with no credentials decrypt at most adds a thing that can fail?

e: i honestly suspect i am just missing something here though

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 17, 2022

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

what security boundary are you trying to preserve here though, if the expectation is no encryption leaving the key out in the open seems perfectly fine, involving tpm to with no credentials decrypt at most adds a thing that can fail?

why would one enable bitlocker with the expectation of no encryption? perhaps i am misreading but it seems like anyone who goes and enables bitlocker would expect the key to be secured, whether or not they are using a local account

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

I'm like 99% sure they're either intentionally misquoting in an attempt to own MS, or just fundamentally misunderstood the superuser thread they're reading

"Until at least one protector is created, BitLocker cannot leave suspended mode and the Windows UI will report that it's waiting for activation."

https://superuser.com/questions/1299600/is-a-volume-with-bitlocker-waiting-for-activation-encrypted-or-not

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
that behaviour is entirely intentional and it's to prevent scenarios like they had automatically enabling encryption in windows 10 where it was possible to have windows automatically enable encryption and no saved recovery key, leading to a complete unrecoverable data loss if the system did an update that broke the trust chain, which happened quite often

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if you install windows 11 it should have used the TPM to store the key regardless of if you use a microsoft account or not. then if you ever did use a microsoft account you could backup your key from the tpm to the microsoft account.

if its not storing in the TPM then thats a bug for sure. if the user disabled TPM or installed windows 11 on a computer without TPM, then thats an unsupported scenario and its on the user to manage it properly.

if you dont want to use a microsoft account and arent using tpm, you should be able backup your keys to either a non-bitlocker encrypted location like an unencrypted volume, usb key, network drive, etc...

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

infernal machines posted:

that behaviour is entirely intentional and it's to prevent scenarios like they had automatically enabling encryption in windows 10 where it was possible to have windows automatically enable encryption and no saved recovery key, leading to a complete unrecoverable data loss if the system did an update that broke the trust chain, which happened quite often

yeah the entire suspension feature is to protect the user from themselves and bad firmware updates

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the recovery key needs to be somewhere, so either it automatically gets syncd with a microsoft account or azuread account, or the user manually prints or saves it to another device.

the system exist to protect users from themselves, like 99% of the stupid bullshit they do these days, and it works perfectly in that scenario. either the user uses an online account and it's handled automatically, or they know enough to manually backup the key or disable encryption, but it won't force them into a state where their data is permanently unrecoverable

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 17, 2022

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i wonder if it prompts the user at all that they havent stored the recovery key?

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Shaggar posted:

i wonder if it prompts the user at all that they havent stored the recovery key?

bitlocker setup in control panel basically forces you to save the recovery key somewhere

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Buff Hardback posted:

bitlocker setup in control panel basically forces you to save the recovery key somewhere

yeah, that's the manual enablement process though. windows 11 does this automatically, without having to go into that control panel.

there's an indicator on the drive in explorer if it's enabled but not active, but idk if there's a notification. probably it gets swamped under everything else trying to funnel you into signing in with a microsoft account

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

yeah, that's the manual enablement process though. windows 11 does this automatically, without having to go into that control panel.

there's an indicator on the drive in explorer if it's enabled but not active, but idk if there's a notification. probably it gets swamped under everything else trying to funnel you into signing in with a microsoft account

I mean yeah i really don't think this is that much of an issue? if you know bitlocker, you'll turn it on by the control panel options, not the regular flow. if it gets enabled for you randomly, you're protected from getting hosed if you don't have the key stored anywhere until you add an MS account

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's absolutely not "an issue", it's done by design and it works in an entirely comprehensible manner that can be overridden by power users if desired.

if your problem with windows 11 is the system defaulting to a fail-safe state with volume encryption when you've gone out of your way to avoid their system for managing that, you are going to have much bigger problems with windows 11

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

if you install windows 11 it should have used the TPM to store the key regardless of if you use a microsoft account or not. then if you ever did use a microsoft account you could backup your key from the tpm to the microsoft account.

isn't the whole point of a TPM that you can't actually pull the key out of it

e: legit asking to make sure I actually understand TPM's like i thought i did

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

https://twitter.com/atomicthumbs/status/1482872028839350273

there are multiple keys, but the whole point of the bitlocker "suspended" protection behaviour is to keep the data readable in the event of a chain of trust failure. that's why it's called "suspended". if you force it out of suspended mode, one way or another, which can be done manually by the user without the use of a microsoft account, then the key will not be stored in the clear. also, if the user signs into a microsoft account then the volume recovery key is stored there and the system will no longer store the key in the clear on the system.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 17, 2022

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

yeah tbh im not sure and i may be wrong about that, but i have generated new recovery keys when my system was in fully protected mode so its getting the key material from somewhere

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

it's absolutely not "an issue", it's done by design and it works in an entirely comprehensible manner that can be overridden by power users if desired.

if your problem with windows 11 is the system defaulting to a fail-safe state with volume encryption when you've gone out of your way to avoid their system for managing that, you are going to have much bigger problems with windows 11

exactly this is what i meant

the tweet was super obviously disingenuously meant as a "ms won't let you use bitlocker without an MS account!!!!" snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Buff Hardback posted:

exactly this is what i meant

the tweet was super obviously disingenuously meant as a "ms won't let you use bitlocker without an MS account!!!!" snipe

You must be new here. Welcome.