Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Pile Of Garbage posted:

yeah that's how those scams work. the scammer rents the airbnb and then shows it off as if its their own.

but yeah im prolly reaching. sounds like they just have a very lovely system of doing things.

it would be odd to set up an entire functional office with multiple employees with name tags and a copy machine and all for that lol

i mean i guess not impossible but that's a very dedicated scammer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

it would be odd to set up an entire functional office with multiple employees with name tags and a copy machine and all for that lol

its quite probable that the scammers were scamming many other people that day too. its easy to get office supplies cheap from twitter
these days you know

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

yeah sorry i misread your post my bad!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

4lokos basilisk posted:

its quite probable that the scammers were scamming many other people that day too. its easy to get office supplies cheap from twitter
these days you know

so that means they must have hired actors to play maintenance and delivery personnel that came in periodically to do things like get / return keys or drop off packages too cuz that happened a bunch, the clever bastards

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Pile Of Garbage posted:

yeah sorry i misread your post my bad!

no i like this version better anyway, where instead of just being a really poorly organized business run by people who don't know any better it's an incredibly elaborate scam where the scammers basically took over an entire large apartment complex just to get my SSN and like, a $50 application fee

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

actually when you put it like that you're literally describing the operating model for property managers

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

so that means they must have hired actors to play maintenance and delivery personnel that came in periodically to do things like get / return keys or drop off packages too cuz that happened a bunch, the clever bastards
They also hired us to tell you it's legit

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

another thing i just remembered that gives off the "cargo-cult KYC" vibe, i had to separately provide the name of my employer (it's right there on my paystubs i already gave...) and my supervisor's name and phone number (???). when i didn't know my supervisor's phone number because what the hell, she was like "oh just the company phone number, i just need any number to put in this box, he [compliance guy] isn't actually going to call them or check who your supervisor is or anything" so why is it required then :psyduck:

as far as i can tell this was all because they just have this enormous form with every single field marked as required (couldn't see her monitor but she kept saying stuff like "oh it won't just let me leave it blank") that they have to fill out for every applicant, that gets sent off to Back Alley Dave's Legitimate Compliance Warehouse or whatever

anyway we'll see if Back Alley Dave manages to catch the fact that my company actually laid me off a few weeks ago and i haven't started my new job yet :v:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

oh and at first she thought i already had an account on their web portal thing (cuz i had been there a few days prior and gave the other lady i talked to my email and she would normally have set one up i guess) so she put my email in and hit forgot password, and sure enough i got a forgot password email on my phone, so i clicked it and set a new password, which it said happened successfully

then we figured out that i did not, in fact, have an account. i wonder where that password went...

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Shame Boy posted:

oh and at first she thought i already had an account on their web portal thing (cuz i had been there a few days prior and gave the other lady i talked to my email and she would normally have set one up i guess) so she put my email in and hit forgot password, and sure enough i got a forgot password email on my phone, so i clicked it and set a new password, which it said happened successfully

then we figured out that i did not, in fact, have an account. i wonder where that password went...

Oh, there was an account, it just wasn't yours.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Volmarias posted:

Oh, there was an account, it just wasn't yours.

at the time i did seriously consider the fact that there's a nonzero chance i had just reset literally everyone's password, yeah

like at my first job there was more than one SQL query that just added % to the front and back of every string because the guy that wrote it couldn't be assed to figure out why certain things weren't coming up or didn't understand what he was doing or something, and then mysteriously later we had to do a bunch of emergency revert to backups because some operations would cause a write to every single row in the table if certain fields happened to be blank :iiam:

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 6, 2023

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Shame Boy posted:

my supervisor's name and phone number (???).

funny enough, this part is actually pretty standard

… for an application in the 90s

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Shame Boy posted:

look they had a goon move the printer it’s legit

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Yeah, I moved apartments recently and while there was some variance most of them wanted my supervisor name and #. One place required me, instead of paystubs, to log into some 3rd party site with my bank account credentials so they could just look directly at all my transactions and pay deposits. "Easier than uploading pay stubs" they tried to say

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
My latest apartment move required a bunch of third party 'verification' services including one that required me to take a photo of my face and upload it, presumably so they can share it with the cops so they know exactly who to execute when eviction time rolls around.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

mystes posted:

They also hired us to tell you it's legit

btw what am i supposed to put on my timesheet? scammer or accomplice?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Pile Of Garbage posted:

btw what am i supposed to put on my timesheet? scammer or accomplice?

I can never remember. You can ask Janice if you really want to know, I just put down Analyst and no one seems to care.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
careful about that. analyst and scammer have different hourlies and rich doesn’t know which you did so he just trusts the timecard when he does payroll. janice does try to fix it up but mostly to make sure analysts aren’t claiming to be talking to customers, so you could be cheating yourself

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

rjmccall posted:

careful about that. analyst and scammer have different hourlies and rich doesn’t know which you did so he just trusts the timecard when he does payroll. janice does try to fix it up but mostly to make sure analysts aren’t claiming to be talking to customers, so you could be cheating yourself

Nah I'm good, I check the pay stubs, and "analyst" is just a cheeky (:haw:) way of saying "my primary task is the performance and improvement of rear end loving customers," not having to talk to them just means I'm even more efficient here.

Really, I could probably change the numbers too and no one would catch it, but I'm just too honest for that.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Volmarias posted:

Nah I'm good, I check the pay stubs, and "analyst" is just a cheeky (:haw:) way of saying "my primary task is the performance and improvement of rear end loving customers," not having to talk to them just means I'm even more efficient here.

Really, I could probably change the numbers too and no one would catch it, but I'm just too honest for that.

i admire your metascamming, feel free to ping me if you need a peer denunciation

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

haveblue posted:

they’re trying to get you to show a picture of the cat and I respect that

title change?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Hey we're almost out of hours on the analyst project code, so if you have time to report please use the graphic design code since there is budget left on that one.

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!
Well I secfuck'd myself. A couple years ago I bought some novelty domains on Namecheap. I wanted to get rid of the parking page so I set the nameservers to Cloudflare's "beth" and "ed" because those were the ones that my prior domains with Cloudflare had used and I assumed any other domains I added would use the same ones (that is, that "beth" and "ed" were assigned to my account for any domains I add). They were effectively offline while I decided what, if anything, I wanted to do with them, but I never added them to my Cloudflare account because I didn't have anywhere to point them to yet.

Well, someone else added those domains to their Cloudflare account and was able to "hijack" the DNS records and use them for whatever they wanted, which appears to be copies of other pages (phishing?) and streaming movie/TV links. Today when I went to add the domains to Cloudflare, it gave me two different nameservers to use (not beth and ed), and now I have control back after updating the nameservers on Namecheap. I guess it never clicked with me that Cloudflare's domain ownership authentication is basically, "have you pointed the nameservers at the two we gave you?". It's my fault and I'm an idiot, I know.

The only part I'm still trying to figure out is, there's 2,550 possible Cloudflare nameserver combinations. The attacker/squatter/whatever must've had to keep re-rolling adding the domains until Cloudflare randomly picked the same ones I had set the domains to use?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

I'd almost wonder if what happened was, when the attacker added the domain, cloudflare scanned your domain's NS records, saw that you already configured the domain to use beth and ed, and said 'well, theres no other zone for clownmove.com what exists in cloudflare, this checks out to us' then set those as the name servers automatically. or something like that? i know thats not what would happen if the domain already existed in cloudflare in a different account, but its such a bizarre combination of things to lead to that scenario.

edit: all of my domains in my free account have the same nameservers, so maybe not. but in that case, would that mean they needed to create new accounts until they got nameservers that matched yours? :psyduck: i cant just remove the domain and get new ns records every time, so i dont think itd even be that.

related: https://community.cloudflare.com/t/...per-hour/357196

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 7, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
do they assign you nameservers before you add a domain? maybe they just saw you had already added theirs

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

if my account is any indication, if you have your domains added as free zones, they will all have the same ns servers. so if you had domain1 in there, and they have have beth.ns and ed.ns, and you then add those records to domain2 but never add it to cf, yeah, that seems plausible. just an odd series of choices required on both ends of this to be able to do that if that is what happened...

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
alternatively i guess the attacker could have thousands of accounts and just got lucky with the combination

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jun 7, 2023

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Beeftweeter posted:

do they assign you nameservers before you add a domain? maybe they just saw you had already added theirs

iirc you get the same set for every domain on account until they add more and the hash buckets change, which only happens rarely. however, for obvious reasons, if two accounts have the same assigned pair, and one tries to register an already-registered domain, that second registration gets a different pair

idk how the malicious users actually managed getting coverage across the combinations, but OP is not the first person to encounter such a scenario. it wasn't exactly frequent but support would definitely get "you are directing my site to spam!" tickets from users that hadn't actually registered those domains, but had configured their nameservers. some enterprising spammer figured out an effective way to query for those, apparently

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

so apparently if you played Minecraft with mods at all this year then you've probably been infected with malware: https://prismlauncher.org/news/cf-compromised-alert/

quote:

Multiple groups are reporting CurseForge and Bukkit as compromised. Malware has been uploaded in various projects and it may be a security vulnerability in the Overwolf platform. We recommend not downloading or updating any mods from CurseForge and Bukkit at the moment, and we will update y'all with the latest news as more information becomes available.

Additionally there are indicators that the malware is self-replicating, which is why you should avoid playing Minecraft at all for now.

seems bad lol.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

there's a hole in my bukkit

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Pile Of Garbage posted:

so apparently if you played Minecraft with mods at all this year then you've probably been infected with malware: https://prismlauncher.org/news/cf-compromised-alert/

seems bad lol.

appears that a bunch of rando accounts uploaded infected clones of existing mods, and then one real modder got infected and some of their legitimate mod uploads were compromised

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Bukkike

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

appears that a bunch of rando accounts uploaded infected clones of existing mods, and then one real modder got infected and some of their legitimate mod uploads were compromised

yeah apparently the malicious JAR is self-replicating and whatnot. also right now it's dormant but is communicating with C&C servers so only a matter of time until it's given a command/payload

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

there's a hole in my bukkit

even worse: there's a JAR in my bukkit!!!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I has a bukkit

noooooo they be hacking my bukkit

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

haveblue posted:

I has a bukkit

noooooo they be hacking my bukkit

thank

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

honestly i'm surprised this hasn't happened sooner (and it probably has but im just not aware of it). a mod system which involves downloading and running what is basically a little executable with zero signing/trust outside of "i downloaded it from the main mod site so it's legit" i mean really, lol: lmao.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
supposedly someone (or multiple someones) have been uploading infected copies of normal mods for months and it took until now for an actual author to get infected and upload a legit mod with the infection

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah, that’s probably a good idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I got a haveibeenpwned email for using lenscrafters IN PERSON and coincidentally I got failed login attempts on cineplex.com account soon after