Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

just get one of those old flip calendars and write the password for that day on each page, ez

toilet paper with a new password on each square.

brb, filing a patent for one time roll cryptography

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

pyxis is more commonly seen in hospitals to track and dispense sensitive but high volume drugs, so rather than the pharmacy sending a dude up to the icu with a bottle of morphine they stock the cabinet in the icu with 20 of them at the start of the day and when the order comes in and is approved, the hospital pharmacy just punches a button and the bottle drops right out into the icu nurse’s hand. it would be weird to have that at a retail pharmacy, though.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

i know at least one retail pharmacy with a robotic filling... cabinet... thing, my friend was the pharmacist there, is that something else?

i mostly know about it because they had just installed it and it had tons of problems and was loving up all the time and he had to manually re-check everything it did because a few times he caught it giving out way too many pills (and once, the wrong pills altogether) so that was fun.

yeah that’s probably something similar if not the pyxis brand thing.

theoretically they can hep reduce misfills but that would mean the pharmacy’s database isn’t a pile of poo poo so lmao. i imagine schedule ii diversion is a bigger problem today than it was when i was a pharm tech 20 years ago.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Pounded in the Butt by my Law Enforcement Network

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

someone finally found a use for sharepoint

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

uncheck yourself before you wreck yourself

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Boiled Water posted:

is this better or worse than most companies where it is just a cost center?

worse, because when it starts loving up a company will eventually do something. government will run it until it’s literally impossible to fix and then be offline for months while the elephantine procurement process begins.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Chalks posted:

yall need to stop buying second hand computers from isis

it was such a good deal but the guy kept joking about how heavy it was

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sounds more like someone bought a bunch of buttcoins and is cashing them out this way.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mystes posted:

Incidentally, I think this makes a very strong case for forced automatic updates for software.

which would last right up until someone force updates something that breaks an especially critical system, and then force updating goes away forever.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mystes posted:

Windows had broken too much stuff because of feature updates, but if we're just taking about security updates for local government that can't be bothered to update fire years it might actually be better to break it than let them keep using a known vulnerability version.

you may not be wrong, but you deal with the crowd coming in for their ebt cards that you can’t issue today because windows update ate poo poo and see what you think about forced updates.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hell yeah get hosed up with unauthenticated commands to your insulin pump

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i have a xiami led lamp thing for that at home and it's real good yeah. no yeti though, i don't plan on having any heated gaming moments

speaking of xiaomi and back to thread topic, that desk lamp is really thirsty for some wifi lol

FULLY ONLINE ILLUMINATION

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

the illegal numbers argument is always amusing wherever i see it come up.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

7/11 never forget :japan:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

pseudorandom posted:

TBH, I was surprised because I was definitely expecting the latter half of the quote to say "...but the barcode was just the sequential user ID".

Password reset vuln is bad, but I was definitely expecting even more super incompetent levels of bad for being owned in a single day.

a rare example of the primordial definition of zero day.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

chromium isn't running a local web server

hold it’s beer

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cerv posted:

wholly owned subsidiary of IAG, who are Spanish

they were wholly owned, all right.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

what could go wrong?

US attorney general William Barr says Americans should accept security risks of encryption backdoors

https://techcrunch.com/2019/07/23/william-barr-consumers-security-risks-backdoors/

this poo poo is infuriating

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Plorkyeran posted:

using a four-year-old video player is appropriate for this thread

probably more appropriate for the bitcoin thread really

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

that was an awesome game though there wasn't much replay value once you figured out how to cheese the "trace a large transaction" job to get like 10 million dollars right at the beginning

wish they'd made a sequel. lan hacking was fun

i’d love uplink2 that reflects the intervening 20 years of technical and social changes around hacking.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

I'm a 3-star domain admiral

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

D. Ebdrup posted:

Sometimes it does seem like it - the basis for the new voting machine standard in the US that's getting worked on by DARPA has at least one of the projects out of Cambridge, UK using capabilities enforced by hardware; it's essentially just a RISC CPU called CHERI with capabilities on top, and they've then added ~200 lines of code to FreeBSD to form CheriBSD.
The same capabilities, this time about 100 lines worth of code, were used by Robert Watson (also of Cambridge, UK) to sandbox Chromium, but Google rejected he patches and implemented their own inferior sandboxing.
A lot of their work cites a lot of work from back in the 60s and 70s and capabilities are from the 80s.

yeah you’re right, everything has already been invented so go ahead and close the patent office, we’re done here.

it is stunningly shortsighted to believe that if you can’t imagine it, it can’t exist.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

i legit thought these things were hardwired and not using stuff the automotive industry threw away years ago for being too awful.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/CaseyExplosion/status/1157645756993605632

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

shades of dashcon

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah, and this is my second def con in a long time where I haven’t been knee deep in binary poo poo from 7a-7p so it’s probably just me noticing it more

it seems a bit more prominent this year.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

haveblue posted:

primecube

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ctfmon, i choose you!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

so i can't watch the full video at work for obvious reasons but reading a summary, it sounds like the only compromise of the buttplug itself is just the nordic semi chipset, and most of the juicy stuff is in the software (which for the record I called out a looong time ago as a garbage fire of electron and crashing :v:)

he keeps mentioning a "dongle" that he compromised but like, the hush doesn't come with a "dongle", it's a bluetooth device so it doesn't need anything like that... maybe they started including them some time after i bought it? i know cam models would buy these because there's plugins for various cam sites that can integrate with the toy, maybe they started including a dongle specifically so you can plug it in to your computer?

his buttplug came with a usb to bt dongle.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

the secfuck-e/n crossover we never asked for

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Shaggar posted:

a bunch of wallets advertise NFC protection but I have no idea if any of it is legit.

it sucks rear end and the mesh breaks rapidly at the bend points. “rf shielding” wallets are every bit the security theater the tsa is. the big bags are better by virtue of heavier construction, double folds, and overall fewer flex cycles.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

then he would have known they were coming for him and he would have... done... something maybe? idk he seems like he was pretty resigned to just being caught by that point judging by how calmly he went with police and stuff.

unless he was an xxxxxtreme flight risk yeah that’s weird. they probably wanted to set a precedent of shaking down doctors for patient information though.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Janitor Prime posted:

i don’t think running your own email server is a smart move.

a lot of hosting services will give you email without you having to janitor the server personally.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

any bgp shenanigans are legit as well.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

wifi inspectah deck, tha mystery of wardrivin’

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:yeshaha:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

i think you’ll find that if youre like > ipredator > tor > s3 on all this poo poo then you’re fully protected.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

taqueso posted:

Port knocking but with blockchain

block knocking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lma off