Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
three weeks after moving to my new cybersecurity position and i still have no tasks and no privileges. i don't mind the money but i finished catching up with my shows and i'm bored of sitting at work doing nothing. i have a frosted glass door otherwise i would've brought my switch and did some gaming on company dime lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
any of you worked in non-operations infosec? i.e. dealing with risk analysis and policies and poo poo like that? how do you stay engaged?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i guess i better start some side-projects then...

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

florida lan posted:

one of my fave epic systems cool features was the "use TLS when communicating with the DB" switch that did literally nothing (or maybe something, but definitely didn't turn on TLS) and went unnoticed forever until the navy finally bothered to look at some pcaps.

can they get sued for fraud? :kiddo:

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

wyoak posted:

so I’ve only heard blurbs about the WhatsApp attack while traveling, did they break out of the iOS sandbox or did the hack just affect WhatsApp, the news snippets made it sound like they could get complete control of the phone but “Infosec journalism”

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

redleader posted:

imagine asking a normal person to use keepass lol

same but cloud thingies. heck imagine asking them to pay rent for password fillers.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

D. Ebdrup posted:

Linus has managed to piss a lot of people off in very short order:
https://twitter.com/FiloSottile/status/1174352754413846529

if people need the secure prng they should explicitly ask for it imho

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
the random function accidentally being secure is not "secure-by-default". it's just an accident.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

haveblue posted:

what is a situation in which you want a random number that is guaranteed to be not secure

data sampling
games
retry delays
load balancing
fuzzing
machine learning
engineering

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
does the function make any claims about being cryptographically secure? if yes then you get to bitch at linus if not then fix your ASSumptions

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
do motherboards/cpus come with hardware prngs or not? also why not use uefi to store/restore prng seeds?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
on one hand we must protect the cybers on the other do you really want to deal with passwords mid-sea?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
we shouldn’t’ve driven the discourse guy away lol

imagine sa with notifications, likes, and badges

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
but you see user journey first experience frictionless onboarding therefore...

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
if i learned anything from muddy waters it would be to short the stocks then release the vuln report to the public :homebrew:

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG posted:

why would you short the stock? do you think wall st cares about a security vuln? lmao

theres no legal punishment for leaking half of the US credit reports, why would a company who has lovely wifi security face any consequences?

of course the stock market doesn’t give a poo poo but there is always a tiny dip before the market stops caring

quote:

Share prices of breached companies hit a low point approximately 14 market days following a breach. Share prices fall 2.89% on average, and underperform the NASDAQ by -4.6%
After about a month, share prices rebound and catch up to NASDAQ performance on average

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

of course they did. of course they did.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
the russians just used keep rear end

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

unpacked robinhood posted:

Bestialities were my least favorite mortal kombat moves

loving scorpion turning into a penguin wtf???

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Methanar posted:

Also break_time_at_the_toyota_factory.wmv on my domain controller.

is this a shock video or something?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
apparently when you integrate azure ad with duo you can still do password stuffing and bruteforce attacks. getting redirected to duo only happens if the password is valid.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

The Fool posted:

this is how most mfa systems work

well then most mfa systems are trash

i can’t believe loving citrix got this right and they didn’t

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Shaggar posted:

the amount of user tickets generated from not knowing if it's the password or the token is not worth the added security. especially when you can handle it other ways like brute force detection, unknown location detection, disallowing common passwords, etc...

and if ur doing push Auth there's no token to even enter.

still why would you give attackers an oracle? it's already bad enough when our users show up on haveibeenpwned.com. we don't need attackers to also be able to guess passwords.

also bruteforce protection does jack poo poo. if you lock out users after x failed attempts then you just dos yourself (happened before, management rightfully told IT to gently caress off and disable lock out). if you lock out malicious ips then attackers simply do distributed bruteforce.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
this can be solved if the login redirected you to 2fa regardless of cred validity btw

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

BattleMaster posted:

wtf how about not putting medical devices (or process equipment, re: the image) on the internet to begin with

zero trust BABYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

after an automatic update windows 10 enabled a hidden "default" user account with no password and admin privileges

apparently this is a known issue since 2016

jfc microsoft

wtf? link please

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
∕ etc∕ hosts

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

so the schizophrenic guy from last month is back with 3 new gmail accounts spamming a bunch of people with his pdf "book" that he appended another 400 pages to. great poo poo, love to deal with it

i have to do a big report and i wish i could do just 10 pages. writing is hard :(

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

CommieGIR posted:

"We want to keep you secure, so we're adding a back door"

https://twitter.com/Snubs/status/1202257260715495424?s=20

you don't need to unlock the device though? just factory reset. am i missing something?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

looks like a 4chan “prank” a la growing your own crystals by blowing bubbles in a toxic bleach compound

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

EXCUSE ME????????????????

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

my 600lb prison life

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Agile Vector posted:

nice! a remote access server
`

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Remote Code Execution

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Truga posted:

my first name is shared by like 2-3 other people, and my full name is unique, so i just never ever post either on the internet. people call me paranoid for some reason tho

one day my mom got many calls from other old ladies congratulating her on me becoming a religious radio personality. it turns out its another person with the same full name living in the same area.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Ulf posted:

https://www.howmanydayssinceajwtalgnonevuln.com

Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is Alg=none Real Hahahaha Just Reject The Token Like Say No Haha

but but my rapid development cycle

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Carthag Tuek posted:

also the parents are dumb as hell if they think they can raise their kids with tech

most parents nowadays just give children electronics to shut them up. i feel like an rear end in a top hat because i refuse to give my toddler an ipad.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

an experiment already happening on a vast scale. vast enough in fact that it is unfortunately hard to really control for. mental health issues are on the rise among the young, but as they all grew up with both screens and the decay of society it is not obvious which part is the problem.

The thing that really destroys children is roads. Roads everywhere. Used to be you can play in front of the house with the other kids. Now make way for mister automobile. Can't have human spaces. Must pave over everything. Pave pave pave. Mark down park times in your calendar. Hope that you have time and energy to get the poor little ones in the car and make the trip. Can't have regular play time. It must be a loving event.

I miss when we spent summers at my grandparents in bumfuck nowhere. Just running around riding bikes and kicking footballs. The only concern is stray dogs and older kids.

Ban cars. Strip roads. Plant trees.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Subjunctive posted:

admit it, though, you were biking on roads

when i said bumfuck nowhere i meant it. no roads at all. just people and their animals. electricity got shut down every day (running on a generator).

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

mystes posted:

How did you get there if there were no roads?

ride the dirt on a creaky 80s suburban

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Methanar posted:

why would you want more bsd-tier binary incompatible reject platforms to split market share, features, tools and patterns across

because i love computer