Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

infernal machines posted:

uh, nazi punks have been a thing for ages

these were nazi preppies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Mr.Radar posted:

found on r/retrobattlestations... (note the PCAnywhere and Credit Card Batch icons.)

"IT admins are scrambling for Windows 7 EOL while we're still dealing with customers on NT 4."

"Turn on"

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

"every computer hacking technique is applicable to humans" lmao

fevers are just the result of a dos attack

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

from what i've heard power-line network stuff like that is very popular in europe because a lot of their buildings (especially the old ones) are made of solid materials instead of cardboard and tape and so attenuate wifi real good

we have an old house and i have to have a pair of those b.c wifi doesn't make it up all the way to my office otherwise

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

flakeloaf posted:

i heard you can do it with just a finger stick now

elizabeth holmes alt account found

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

mystes posted:

It's great that in 2019 things like discord have real 2FA but banks all use SMS or are maybe in the process of jury rigging 2FA in their lovely mobile apps.

There's probably a special circle of hell for companies like Bank of America that are members of the FIDO Alliance but still only support SMS in 2019.

bank of america's already got plenty of spots in hell waiting

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

Hmm, looks like Uzbeks have been drinking your battery fluid again.

wouldn't have expected it with the whole landlocked nation thing

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

redleader posted:

who would have thought voting could be made to be so complicated?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doge_of_Venice#Selection_of_the_Doge

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Pardot posted:

back around idk ios 2 and 3, maybe still at 4 but I don’t remember, I did jailbreaking to get some cool features that weren't in the os yet, like hitting volume down then volume up would turn on the flashlight, or hitting a volume button in camera would take a picture. but then they made all those things either direclty features or close enough. haven't looked into jailbreaking for years and years now though

and also to pirate games

I did a jailbreak on I think iOS 3 so I could install an app (still the only one I've ever paid for) to do tethering

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

i think it happens a bunch, or at least ive heard about it more than once

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

infernal machines posted:

why would someone do this?

there's a lot of weirdos out there

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

california doesn't (or didn't) use real mile markers

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

But exit numbers are aligned with mile markers, aren't they?

not some of the older interstates, which just number them 1, 2, 3a, 3b, 3c, 4, etc. nj turnpike & ny thruway still do that

can recommend https://www.aaroads.com for all sorts of road nerd needs.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

witness the worst infrastructure crime in the united states

what about the renaming of us-666

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

e: oh and their own koala version of AIDS called KIDS, that is caused by a virus that managed to integrate itself into their actual genome and is now just permanently part of the koala genes, which is a thing that can happen apparently!

something like five percent of the human genome is the remnants of old viruses https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endogenous_viral_element and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syncytin-1

quote:

The gene encoding this protein is an endogenous retroviral element that is the remnant of an ancient retroviral infection integrated into the primate germ line. In the case of syncytin-1 (which is found in humans, apes, and Old World but not New World monkeys), this integration likely occurred more than 25 million years ago.[5] Syncytin-1 is one of two known syncytin proteins expressed in catarrhini primates (the other being syncytin-2) and one of many viral genomes incorporated on multiple occasions over evolutionary time in diverse mammalian species.[6]

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Zamujasa posted:

the stack, i believe

stacodemon

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

I hope so, because the "download your stuff" service seems to be broken

it took a couple days for them to process mine but it came thru yesterday

or at least somebody's did, i haven't looked at it yet

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

operation codename: HOPKIN GREEN

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

i got gotten by a phishing test email a few months back, it was late in a stressful day and the email was 'someone has added you to this confluence project' which is a thing that happens with a bit of regularity

after the fact i briefly considered filtering everything mentioning confluence to spam, maybe i should have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

that’s amazing. honestly I’m impressed with whoever came up with that

but really how would you even notice if an HP printer got hit with malware?

your ink lasts longer