Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
yellow dog on non-mac ppc is an adventure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

do you mean the new cbrs small cell stuff or the rural local carriers that could use the major MNO’s spectrums because they didn’t want to provide service to every single hollar

my employer (a wisp) does that and the frequencies are coordinated by a clearinghouse run by some defense contractors and...google

it barely breaks into the third 9 for uptime, and its all off until the clearinghouse says its okay. db down? all customers hard down. navy ship 500 miles way? hard down

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

do you have a PAL or GAA? I wouldn’t have expected such a mess with the former but I guess I’m not surprised

solidly GAA, a lot of new connections are cbrs (20% of 2000-ish) but the financial reality of a small company to spend $100k on 10Mhz of PAL was pointless. everyone else is 10 times the size and just poo poo up 5ghz so cbrs has been useful, just like 6/11ghz licensed stuff has been

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Sickening posted:

Military security is so poo poo

just add in lobbying and private sector contactors and it's spot on

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

that'd certainly be a surprising way to logon in the office

retinal scan tech but for rectums would be pretty unique

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

i work for my isp and it is needs suiting since when my connection at home has issues I can call the CEOs personal line to fix it

he says to fix it myself :saddowns:

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

i work for an ISP and have a ticket for some Tesla solar management unit and they're demanding port 80 and 443 open to the internet

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

nobody except bargain basement wisps use cpe-side rate limiting (cable via coax and huge rate gpon being an exception) instead use preseem or other edge inserted setups for rate limiting

before preseem about 6 years ago we used mikrotik edge routers performing the limiting and we could only do that because we had cpes do nat to the public IP itself, otherwise the CPU usage for edge nat and rate limiting would have been infeasible

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Shame Boy posted:

so after ordering the fiber connection to the new apartment the other day, like a day later the other end of the cable connection got struck by lightning (it went out right as a super loud super close lightning strike hit, and it took them a good 8 hours to fix it so i assume it was completely toasted and didn't just lose power) and i assume just out of spite the lightning strike was passed through the modem leaving it completely intact and instead killed the port on my router lol

have a router with a ungrounded power supply and also a shielded ethernet cable between router and modem? it's likely the router's dc ground is by the coax shield then

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

Any length of metal wire with a paper flag stuck to the end. Roll it up for carry, make it any shape you want when in use. If there's a physical gap in the door it's way more useful. Downside is it's sometimes visible on CCTV. Upside is it never runs out.

marking flags likely meet that need, you can get them in almost any color, as the coloration denotes the buried utility type

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

i did a demo with tplink about omada (ended up staying with unifi but liked their deco4isp) so i know it's not the case on their end for weird things but what about the tv hosting all the known wps keys and trying on every new router ssid that it sees show up? assuming the new ssid also means router booting with wps add client enabled

probably auth passed via app but piggybacking ota would be neat