Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Shame Boy posted:

oh it's apparently a FREE BONUS FEATURE that comes with my loving health insurance from work for some reason okay

also it really wants me to use their online password manager, sure let me just give my health insurance company all my passwords, why not

just think of it as free insurance

for your drivers license

please submit your drivers license to continue, for free, NOW

submit goddamnit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

sb hermit posted:

dang man, all my health insurance gives me is a free $10K in life insurance

or was that my credit union?

don't ask me man i just got this sweet binance card

with this one weird trick you can buy cryptos on margin then sell it before the bill comes!

it's

free

money

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

just really awkwardly drop the u/p in the middle of your conversation, bonus points if it's alphanumeric plus extra for punctuation and whitespace

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

ZeusCannon posted:

Arent those the crypto nazis or am I misremembering

as in nazi gold digital krugerrands maybe

yes, just yes

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

It's nice to know that CloudFlare, who present themselves as the only company who can solve security issues, isn't excempt from being a secfuck.

lol also their stock crashed like 40% over the past two days

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i am moving into a position where i do infosec analysis for literally 10s of millions of people, things are going to be interesting

i will be issuing many yospos-esque reports

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

A Man With A Plan posted:

Where I work a lot of business processes depend on a basically defunct software suite that has 90s era password requirements like no punctuation except exclamation points, no more than 3 of the same character class in a row, etc. So if you don't want random things to fail, your domain password also has to follow these requirements

this is sadly the case in a lot of massive businesses, especially banks and financial services because they rely on a bunch of crap running on old rear end mainframes that don't really support modern authentication because accounts were meant for timesharing

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Zamujasa posted:

i looked for a result on :google:

it's not what you shitpost, it's how

that's loving horseshit, and not just because

Shame Boy posted:

sounds like a great way to make sure i can't log in if i'm even slightly drunk, or if my keyboard is at a different angle, or a bunch of other reasons

while that's a valid concern, even if you're completely sober i guarantee your typing habits on a touch keyboard vs a physical one are very different

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Penisface posted:

cant take nist advice, its the us which means its basically cia and the recommendations are in some clever way actually weakening your security

this is a tinfoil hat take but i am sure people think like this in countries other than the us

otoh did the same org not recommend those weakened ecc curves?

nist has nothing to do with the cia or encryption (beyond publishing standards other agencies or entities come up with). they send out a rfc and get responses, pick one and publish it. the cia actually has to follow their guidelines, not the other way round

e: you might be thinking of the nsa, which is responsible for cryptanalysis. they did modify some pseudorandom number generator, but that's the nsa's remit anyway

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 07:50 on May 8, 2022

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Penisface posted:

my point is that an american security recommendation ended up being malicious, thereby tainting subsequent recommendations
i dont think it matters here which institution does what

well, until the eu starts mandating standards for this poo poo i don't know if some other country or intergovernmental agency would be much better or less susceptible to pressure (and tbh the eu would be a stretch to trust too)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

fins posted:

now i want to see a NIST procedural drama. bustin' down doors and kickin rear end for crimes against the metric system, or a hot tip on a group policy enorcing allll the password complexity requirements, rotated weekly.

nist actually prefers metric (which by law is optional) because they're not loving insane

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

oh no doubt those came from NSA, they're the primary agency in charge of cryptography generally. whether or not it's meant to be used offensively or covertly almost certainly doesn't factor into NIST's decision making, and the fact they were just as pissed about DRBG as everyone else would seem to confirm this. there's just literally nobody better within the federal govt to consult on

e: that said i'm sure they have a classified analysis or some poo poo explaining the choice, but we're not going to see it for like 70 years unless it leaks. i'm not defending the practice and i think they should absolutely be more transparent, that's just how it is

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 8, 2022

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

sb hermit posted:

And the kicker to all of this is that using just EC for asymmetric crypto is not quantum resistant, so we'll be seeing new algorithms in the next decade that replace all of this. Hopefully it'll be an open process so that, internationally, we won't be seeing any algorithms that give architects any pause before using them. It already sucks balls to have to modify good implementations because they don't work with standards you are contractually obliged to work with.

On the other hand, being able to negotiate algorithms would lead to some seriously overengineered crap like IKEv1.

Just having a default set that everyone accepts would be much better. Preferably with a hardware accelerated symmetric crypto algorithm, hash algorithm, and deterministic random bit generator.

and a pony!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Ulf posted:

kind of annoying independent evaluator harassing you on Usenet in the 90s

sounds like they did some independent evaluation on your posts

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Crime on a Dime posted:

viewed any images or links on any of these lately?

got your anti grabify on lock?

crab rave. SHREK IS LIFE

efb

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

wondering which hardcore shrek fanfic cosplay community they are trying to phish

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

The problem is cost associated with providing those tokens. I'm pushing for FIDO Keys like Yubikey for our privileged users, but man it adds up fast.

am i stupid or do nfc stickers seem like a cheap way of doing this

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

It would be cheaper, but then you have to ensure everyone has NFC readers or laptops/machines with NFC readers built in.

which a lot of enterprise laptops do have and i think a bulk purchase of usb readers or something would probably be cheaper than $30-50/yubikey

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Jabor posted:

a hundred bucks of yubikeys for each person is like, several orders of magnitude smaller than the other costs you have associated with that employee

when you have a gazillion users they're not gonna do gently caress all unless it's as cheap as conceivably possible even if a security breach would be infinitely more expensive

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

can't you get the cheap yubikeys that only do fido or whatever, if you wanna be real cheap

sure, but "as cheap as conceivably possible" in my book also includes burning the fido tags to a 3¢ sticker that could also work with phones

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

pseudorandom name posted:

Isn't FIDO an interactive protocol? Which NFC stickers won't support?

well yeah, that's why i threw in "that works with phones". i could see unique tags being used to bring up an authentication prompt that gives you an actual token, kinda like microsoft authenticator

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

pseudorandom name posted:

If the 2FA is being run on the phones then what's the point of the NFC tag?

some physicality to make sure the person is present?

e: it was just a half-baked idea in response to a post anyway, i don't actually implement this poo poo. i just analyze it, recommend alternatives, etc. to make sure the cost-cutting doesn't seriously impact security. if i had my way we'd be spending hundreds of millions that are truly necessary

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 9, 2022

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

am i stupid

(the answer is yes)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Crime on a Dime posted:

beside them biometricaly unlocking their phone and app and approving auth?

tbf you can't always assume phones have a biometric lock. alot of our workers have lifeline phones that do not

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

Beeftweeter posted:

am i stupid
(the answer is yes)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

real talk i actually use this thing and i like it fine. it's pretty versatile

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

sb hermit posted:

Real talk. All the NFC usb stuff that's good for desktops is like $100, maybe $50 for sketchy stuff. Does anyone have a recommendation from a reputable vendor? Or are all the $20 readers only available on aliexpress or something?

I would be very mad if there was just a cheap hp or dell or microsoft thing that everyone uses but I somehow overlook.

EDIT: I'm just talking about something that can read NFC on a yubikey or an NFC tag or something, nothing too complicated.

idk, a lot of aliexpress poo poo is just rebranded with like xyzzy or some poo poo and then sold on amazon with a 75% markup. i wouldn't entirely count it out

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

RFC2324 posted:

My understanding was that it was the other way, with the AliExpress poo poo being stuff where the batch failed QA but individual units are (probably) still good?

it's both, really. i've bought poo poo from amazon that was clearly from an ODM because i saw the same thing on aliexpress sans branding. yup, it still failed

the only benefit of getting it from amazon in that case imo is so you can easily return it, but whether or not that justifies the markup is up to you

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

first things first! is everything secure?

no? well, secure it.

but don't spend a lot of money

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

dpkg chopra posted:

you guys *snort* I just told the intern to go to the CEO and tell him he has to use MFA from now on

...guys, the CEO says he lost his yubikey and i locked myself out of the AD console. guys?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I don't broadcast my IP, because I run IPv6 :haw:

aha!

::1, owned, op

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

speaking of shorting pins, can't you just (in theory) force the tpm to reset to bypass the rate limiting though?

e: i guess what i'm asking, since i'm also unfamiliar with bitlocker, is basically "is that seriously the only limitation?"

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 10, 2022

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Dylan16807 posted:

a reasonable design would keep a counter in flash and when you restart your countdown to the next attempt starts all over again

yeah but we're talking about a ms technology from the age of ballmer, reason doesn't really work here

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

sb hermit posted:

Resetting the TPM will clear its registers, making it unable to provide the correct values needed to unlock the PC. at which point, you'll need a bitlocker recovery key. However, you could potentially setup LUKS or other encryption systems to be less stringent about how much tpm deviation is acceptable.

I've seen motherboard bioses that let you disable the onboard TPM so that you can use a different TPM chip.

ah okay, for some reason i thought the tpm's registers were static until purged forcefully via bios or efi or what have you

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

lol js

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Achmed Jones posted:

wait so this person's job is to help you get hired and her advice is "don't look at me, ask people you already know"?

lol

no no you've got it all wrong. her job is "career support", which apparently consists of "idk, bother someone else. i'm on pinterest"

e: is pinterest even still a thing

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 11, 2022

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

also, the honeypot is the bootcamp. you already built it and got owned, op

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i really loving hate that "good at reeling in chumps on linkedin" is now a viable career path

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

lol, kinda reminds me of when you could replace winlogon.scr with cmd or whatever. it is a bad hole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

KirbyKhan posted:

Two years ago I spent too much time in LinkedIn researching and launching a career change and it was the most psychically damaging platform to post on I have ever been.

LinkedIn Sherpa is still doing the heavyish lifting. She has built a couple resume templates and tested them against a suite of ATS software to see which combinations of words get picked up better depending on formatting. They maintain a jobs portal of nonautomated and curated job postings. They also do resume reading, workshopping, and one on one interview prep. Career Team is separate from Instructor Staff and looks to be about 6 people deep servicing a student population of aroundish 500-800 depending on cohort cycle. Idk I'm not paying for this, but the government put about $30k in funding for lil ol me and if I don't get employed they don't get paid.

I've been in like 3 different CARES ACT funded programs and this has been most value and least scammy, but... That is a condemnation of CARES not of this course.

out.