Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, now that it's almost June I think I'm out of danger of snow, so I ordered some summer tires to replace my winter-biased all-weather tires. Do I need to get an alignment when I swap them? The rims are 16" rather than 15" like my winters, but they're the same outer diameter within 2-3%. I'm inclined to say no, but it's entirely possible that I've been loving myself over by not doing it in the past. On the other hand, the tire shops I've used in the past probably would have pushed me to get an alignment done by them at the time if they had any justification for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Nah

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I try and find a good alignment shop separate from any dealer or anything else. I've had bad results with almost everybody else.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does anyone here install their own tires? I'm wondering if there are any air tools that make it easier than using one of those big spoon things, elbow grease, actual lube, and swearing. I'm about to get an air compressor and I've got an Amazon gift card I haven't had any use for. I see there's a "bead seater" but those all seem to have their own air tanks built in. I just figure if I can use my new obnoxiously loud tool to save $80 whenever I have to get new tires it's worth it.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 5, 2020

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does anyone here install their own tires? I'm wondering if there are any air tools that make it easier than using one of those big spoon things, elbow grease, actual lube, and swearing. I'm about to get an air compressor and I've got an Amazon gift card I haven't had any use for. I see there's a "bead seater" but those all seem to have their own air tanks built in. I just figure if I can use my new obnoxiously loud tool to save $80 whenever I have to get new tires it's worth it.

Ive looked into this somewhat extensively and the basic answer is no. Especially if you have low-profile tires and/or big wheels.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Even if you're able to cover the mounting portion, that still leaves you with balancing.

Given how competitive the market is for mounting and balancing, and how expensive the machinery is that makes doing that job not-awful, I don't see any homegamer making that make sense financially in a lifetime.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I just buy 4 sets of wheels and 10 sets of tires and mix/match until I have a naturally balanced set:spergin:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I actually already have access to a balancing tool, my friend has one for some reason. Maybe because he does offroading, I could see that knocking tires out of balance without destroying the tire/rim?

He's also got a stand for holding the tire while he yanks like hell to break the bead and get the thing off, but I saw how much effort that takes and even though I'm not particularly weak, he's stronger than me and was struggling, so gently caress that. Maybe if it wasn't summer, I'm sweating like a pig doing any physical work outside unless it's 7-8PM, also known as the mosquito hour.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 5, 2020

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Lol dude it would be easier just to do a side job mowing an old ladys lawn for 80 bucks

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, seems like it after seeing how much work it is to do one by yourself with hand tools. That's why I was wondering if there were air tools that made it easier, since it seems like there's air tools to make 90% of everything easier.

I guess if there were my friend would already have one, he's got two air compressors, a welding setup, basically every air tool you can imagine, usually I just ask him if there's a tool I need so I can borrow it, and half the time he volunteers to help as well as bringing the tools. A good friend, but I'm limiting my contact with him because he works at a nursing home and I don't want to get dozens of old people killed.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I do my own rubber a lot, but my particular path through the tire business gave me a rather uncommon skillset (lol ask your tire guy if he's ever done a vertical changeover to a 45 series 17 on an aluminum wheel) as well as a deep-seated resentment for most tire shops.

Breaking beads is a problem, at my last shop we had a shunt truck so I would just bring everything to work and break beads by hydraulically dropping a 53' trailer on them, I'm pondering fabricating my own manual bead breaker now. Incidentally I'm actually just about to mount my new FK510s on my new Super Advans tonight.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Mods asked me not to post this

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 10, 2020

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Question: What's the lowest temperature you should be driving summer tires, assuming dry dirt or pavement roads? I'm getting my tires mounted next week but a couple weeks after that I'm planning on going up into the high country, where apparently the average low is in the 30s and the average high is in the low 70s this time of year. I'm worried that is too low for summer tires, they're Hankook Ventus Evo 12s and the car is a 2.2l NA Impreza, which is going to be extremely low on power at 10k feet elevation, so I'm not going to be doing much in the way of burnouts. My concern is that it's probably going to be high 80s until I start getting up high in the mountains, which is probably going to wear on my winters pretty hard. And since I'm probably going to be car camping, carrying an extra set of tires would not be ideal.

I'm reading that low 40s is the temperature to switch off of summer tires, so would I be good as long as I'm not driving too late?

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

As long as youre aware of how much less grip youll have, youll be fine. 40s is where I really notice them drop off but Ive definitely driven well below that without crashing (but while absolutely sliding because its fun and easy).

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I have first generation Hankook V12's on my RX8 and I've driven them on bare roads down to 0C. The lack of traction is certainly noticeable. Think rock hard 800 treadwear all seasons.

Would I do it again, not if I could plan not to but it's certainly manageable.

MajesticTrout
Apr 23, 2006
I've driven on my summer tires (RE050) down to the threshold of freezing and it's been ok, as long as road is bone dry. If the road is wet at those temperatures, traction just evaporates.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I've driven on both PSS and PS4S below freezing. You obviously lose some traction but if the roads are dry it's fine.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I have seen super-niche tires that claim they can actually be damaged by being driven on in temperatures like that, but they're the kind of thing you'd have to go out of your way to order for a classic car.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

fknlo posted:

I've driven on both PSS and PS4S below freezing. You obviously lose some traction but if the roads are dry it's fine.
Agreeing with this. It's really easy to break traction making a turn but as long as you're careful and the roads are dry, they're fine to drive with. Braking distances are obviously longer too due to reduced traction.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 10, 2020

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!
Probably not current but about 10 years ago a Bridgestone technical advisor warn me that even moving cars equipped with their summer tires below freezing could be destructive (might have been 40f?). That was in the context of importing thousands of vehicles though, so they were necessarily very conservative. My Honda owners manual for 2020 has basically the same warning for 40f so it must still be true enough to justify the warning.

Is there a modern 'sporty' winter tire? I live in Philly so we don't get much real winter, mainly wet and in the 20s/30s so regular winter tires seem a bit too focused on snow/ice grip and severe cold at the expense of wet and cool grip.

MarsellusWallace fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 19, 2020

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

MarsellusWallace posted:

Probably not current but about 10 years ago a Bridgestone technical advisor warn me that even moving cars equipped with their summer tires below freezing could be destructive (might have been 40f?). That was in the context of importing thousands of vehicles though, so they were necessarily very conservative. My Honda owners manual for 2020 has basically the same warning for 40f so it must still be true enough to justify the warning.

Is there a modern 'sporty' winter tire? I live in Philly so we don't get much real winter, mainly wet and in the 20s/30s so regular winter tires seem a bit too focused on snow/ice grip and severe cold at the expense of wet and cool grip.

"Sporty" in the context of winter tires is probably very subjective, but I'd look at something in a V/H-rated winter tire. I've got the Continental WinterContact SI on my Legacy GT, and they're sportier than some of the real soft winter tires like the Goodyear Ultragrip Winters or the Altimax Arctics. Otherwise the Michelin X-Ice or the Pirelli Sottozero II or Pzero winters are meant for "sporty" sedans that don't want to sacrifice as much dry/wet grip for having better subzero and deep snow traction. My wife has the Ice Zero FR from Pirelli, and they're still an H-rated tire, but they're a little softer feeling than the Continentals. Grip in the cold/wet/snow/ice is excellent though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
If you can avoid driving the one or two days a year when things get nasty, Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3s will do very well, and bias much further towards the sport end of things.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

two tire related questions:

1. How bad are Nfera SU1's going to be in cold weather? I live in the US and not the southern hemisphere so I have a while before I need to worry about it but I just bought a car with what looks like a brand new set. My only experience with summer performance tires in the past were when i was a dumbass college student and put a set of summer PZero Neros on an old Saab 900 turbo. I didn't have any issues then but I may have been tempting fate and also didn't have to drive nearly as much as i do now.

2. The OEM tire size is 195/45/16 and selection is very limited. Are there any sizes I could safely switch to on the stock wheels that would give a better selection of all season performance oriented tires?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Thauros posted:

1. How bad are Nfera SU1's going to be in cold weather? I live in the US and not the southern hemisphere so I have a while before I need to worry about it but I just bought a car with what looks like a brand new set.

The Nfera SU1s' a pretty garbage and I regret forgetting not having the dealer put decent tires on my KIA (Nexen are OEM). Scored pretty poo poo in Swedish tyre reviews as well, so I would imagine that they are pretty poo poo in cold weather as well. I can't justify throwing away brand new tyres, but I also can't wait to get rid of them when they are worn down. Another bad thing about them is that they are not well balanced. Had my usual guys fix it as well as it could be, but still got vibrations. My winter tyres (premium test winners) are a dream to drive on.

Also, I bet you bought a KIA/Hyundai.

Edit: Oh and after my car has been sitting for a couple of days the tires lose their shape and will bounce the car a bit for the first km or so. Very annoying.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jul 24, 2020

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Thauros posted:

2. The OEM tire size is 195/45/16 and selection is very limited. Are there any sizes I could safely switch to on the stock wheels that would give a better selection of all season performance oriented tires?

:stare: I think trying plus/minus zero sizes reduces your options even more. What kind of car is it and would getting a new set of rims be something you'd consider?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MrOnBicycle posted:

Also, I bet you bought a KIA/Hyundai.

Fabulousity posted:

:stare: I think trying plus/minus zero sizes reduces your options even more. What kind of car is it and would getting a new set of rims be something you'd consider?

It's a Fiat 500 Abarth. Before i'd buy new rims i'd probably just bite the bullet and buy the Pilot sport a/s which is made in that size. They're apparently good tires from the reviews i've read, i've just generally gone with poo poo like all season versions of like Falken Azenzis or Hankook Ventuses for considerably cheaper.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

What it looks like when you mount a GoPro inside the drop center of a rim and then mount, inflate, and drive around on a tire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rILyBg7ZjeI

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Fabulousity posted:

What it looks like when you mount a GoPro inside the drop center of a rim and then mount, inflate, not wash your hands, and drive around on a tire:
Fixed.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

yeah what was up with that. :stare:

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Here's a goofy question: I have TPMS valves on my Miata, and I love the way the stem doesn't flex when I'm trying to read the pressure. I have the idea of getting some cheap TPMS stems and putting them on my other cars that don't have tire pressure monitoring just for the metal stems. Or are there metal stems that can be put on rims for the same effect? And it's not like my stems are flopping around or I can't check the pressure- it's really just a convenience thing. Cars in question are a 2003 Chevy Astro van and 2007 Toyota Corolla, both with stock rims.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

If anything you could ask a tire shop to keep some broken ones they are replacing for you to use?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

They make all metal bolt in valve stems to replace standard pull through style ones, you commonly see them used on big truck/rv wheels. They also make covers that slip over the rubber valve stems that may do what you want, though they will almost certainly be chrome since its a dress up item.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Mr. Apollo posted:

yeah what was up with that. :stare:

I see that and immediately get the feeling that I would never want to be in that person's presence. Like picking up a console controller after an eight year old eating ice cream was playing street fighter, but every surface in a home.

MarsellusWallace posted:

If I remember right, some cars with OEM summer tires saw cracking issues. Maybe the corvette C7? ... Yes checking on it it was the C7 Z06, reports of those tires cracking in San Diego and Vegas, so not even that cold.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Does tire rack or anyone else let you compare tires by weight based on a given size? I'm having trouble finding the option anywhere.

Worst case I bring up the spec sheet for each and make the list myself. Just wanted to make sure before I spend the time.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

GOD IS BED posted:

Here's a goofy question: I have TPMS valves on my Miata, and I love the way the stem doesn't flex when I'm trying to read the pressure. I have the idea of getting some cheap TPMS stems and putting them on my other cars that don't have tire pressure monitoring just for the metal stems. Or are there metal stems that can be put on rims for the same effect? And it's not like my stems are flopping around or I can't check the pressure- it's really just a convenience thing. Cars in question are a 2003 Chevy Astro van and 2007 Toyota Corolla, both with stock rims.

Your tire shop should have metal valve stems - very common on track cars, autox cars, anything where you're adjusting pressures often. Bit more expensive than rubber, but reusable. You can also buy em online, for example http://949racing.com/blackanodizedaluminumvalve.aspx.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
You can also just buy the aluminum TPMS stems and put them in with no sensor. Schrader part #34000, comes with the stem, nut, gasket, core and cap. But otherwise yes, you can also get the high pressure LT truck/RV clamp in stems that would do what you want.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Cross post from stupid questions:

I bought a 996 Carrera 4 about a month ago - staggered tires. It had been sitting for quite a while on Toyo Proxies - the fronts were 10 years old and the rears were 4 years old. The car had some vibration around 70 mph which I attributed to flat spotting.

I ordered a set of Pilot Sport All Season 4s and kept driving the car for 3 weeks while I waited for them to arrive. The vibration slowly dissipated; I wondered if the flat spots were wearing out back to even tread over the 1000 miles or so I drove during that time.

Last Thursday I went to pick up the PS AS4s and get them mounted (at Discount Tire). They noticed a little uneven wear on the old Proxies but nothing significant.

After getting the new rubber on, the vibration was much worse - theres significant shake through the wheel from 55-85 mph; definitely tied to travel speed and not engine speed.

I came back and asked them to rebalance the tires. They have a Hunter machine. They tried this time without SmartBalance and said they got good numbers. The vibration is reduced but still there.

I noticed the RoadForce option on the machine (I used to have to have my NA Miata RoadForced to get rid of the typical 60 mph shake) but am not sure what the difference is between that and the other balance options.

If the wheels are balancing OK, does this just mean I need an alignment? I thought speed-sensitive shake was a balance thing, not an alignment thing. Is it possible that a wheel is slightly bent? Any other ideas?

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

blk posted:

I bought a 996 Carrera 4 about a month ago - staggered tires. It had been sitting for quite a while on Toyo Proxies - the fronts were 10 years old and the rears were 4 years old. The car had some vibration around 70 mph which I attributed to flat spotting.

I ordered a set of Pilot Sport All Season 4s and kept driving the car for 3 weeks while I waited for them to arrive. The vibration slowly dissipated; I wondered if the flat spots were wearing out back to even tread over the 1000 miles or so I drove during that time.

Last Thursday I went to pick up the PS AS4s and get them mounted (at Discount Tire). They noticed a little uneven wear on the old Proxies but nothing significant.

After getting the new rubber on, the vibration was much worse - theres significant shake through the wheel from 55-85 mph; definitely tied to travel speed and not engine speed.

I came back and asked them to rebalance the tires. They have a Hunter machine. They tried this time without SmartBalance and said they got good numbers. The vibration is reduced but still there.

I noticed the RoadForce option on the machine (I used to have to have my NA Miata RoadForced to get rid of the typical 60 mph shake) but am not sure what the difference is between that and the other balance options.

If the wheels are balancing OK, does this just mean I need an alignment? I thought speed-sensitive shake was a balance thing, not an alignment thing. Is it possible that a wheel is slightly bent? Any other ideas?

This was 20 years ago, but Michelins were notorious for failing Hunters Road Force measurement when I was a tire tech. It usually took multiple balancing and rotating tires around the rim sessions to fix. FWIW. The machine measures concentricity and tells where to rotate the tire for maximum roundness.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The truck is gonna need tires in the near future and I've never bought truck tires

2013 Ford F-150 STX 5.0 rwd, 265/60r18

We bought it in January and I drove it through the rest of winter with no issue, I only lost traction two times so I'm not afraid of rwd in snow. What's my best all season truck tire option? I will never take this thing offroad, it's currently my daily and we've towed a few things with it but nothing hardcore. I'd like to keep this under $1000 if that's a viable option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

blk posted:

I would have them* check for bent wheels. Could very well be that the old tires were worn in to the wheels so that the tires compensated for the out-of-roundness. The exact same thing happened with my Giulia after putting on new tires and that's when we discovered that my wheels were bent to poo poo, had to replace two of the four. It also explained why there was cording on only one portion of the old tires.

Six months later three of them are mildly bent again, and I mean just gently caress 19" wheels with low-profile tires forever.

*When I say "them" I mean "someplace better than discount tires". Go somewhere that specializes in wheel repair, painting, etc. There will be a higher level of expertise there that can show you what's going on.