Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Yeah, the depth difference could cause some pulling/weirdness when going on/off throttle, especially on the drive axle. The differential is trying to compensate for the tires having slightly different diameters.

Swapping front to back would probably diagnose it, as long as the front tires have the same tread depth as the old rear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Someone recommended against stacking my on-rim off-season tires because the weight on the bottom one might wreck its sidewall. Intuitively that sounds like some weak-rear end tires and I'd be worried about driving on them if they're that quick to fold, but I don't know anything.

Now I see that Michelin recommends stacking tires when on rims. (Out of curiosity, what goes wrong when you store tires upright on rims?)

I assume the Michelin website is correct? Are there any other considerations?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I think there might be a risk of the tyres deforming and flat spotting or something if upright. I bought one of those stands that hold each tyre on the center part of the rim so that each wheel is free floating:

Nice to be able to move them around as well.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Fwiw, we store tires stacked flat at work (generally 5-6 high depending on the size) and also standing upright on warehouse racking. I've never noticed a difference either way, and some less common sizes might sit in inventory for 9-15 months without being touched.

Mine at home get stored upright on a rack built up near ceiling height for 6-7 months between seasons, and I've never had an issue. As long as you're not storing them outside stacked under your porch, tires are pretty hard to ruin.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Thanks y'all!

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I've always stored my extra wheels/tires flat stacked right on top of each other. Never experienced or noticed any issues after 10+ years. When I had a less weather-proof garage I put a couple pieces of wood down beneath the bottom wheel just to keep it from being directly on the potentially damp ground.

Also to follow up on my previous question, I pulled the trigger on putting some Michelin CrossClimate2s on my new CX-5 AWD in lieu of doing the two wheelset switcheroo like on the E46. My timing was great, as I got them on there a couple weeks before a big PNW cold snap and winter storm. Drove on them up to the mountain passes for skiing six days, some rather gnarly, as well as around town in the weekish of lingering snow and ice. They did great, so far no regrets. I of course took the opportunity to do some donuts and such in empty snow-filled lots, and the CC2s had pretty dang good traction there too.

And the road noise and driving feel is not noticeably different from the stock Toyo all seasons. If anything it's a teeny bit better/quieter. For my use case in a relatively mild climate that doesn't see lowland freezing all that often it seems tire design/tech may finally be at a place where there is such a thing as an actually-all season tire, for practical use cases.

Now the E46 gets to just keep its wonderful PS4s on all the time and stay garaged if its freezing out.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 9, 2022

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

MrOnBicycle posted:

I think there might be a risk of the tyres deforming and flat spotting or something if upright. I bought one of those stands that hold each tyre on the center part of the rim so that each wheel is free floating:

Nice to be able to move them around as well.

Oh man this looks real handy. Can you share a link to what you got if you池e happy with it?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Steve French posted:

Oh man this looks real handy. Can you share a link to what you got if you池e happy with it?

They are a bit wobbly when moving on uneven concrete with bigger rims and tyres stored on it, but still good even if the build quality is just adequate. I got them from a Swedish store called "Biltema" (Harbor Freight equivalent). https://www.biltema.se/en-se/car---mc/workshop-equipment/workshop-fittings/wheel-racks/wheeled-tyre-stand-2000040445
I tried finding some in the US but seems hard to find any that aren't out of stock. But if you are in Canada I found this https://www.partsource.ca/products/dj-ts-001-certified-tire-stand-275-lbs and if in the UK there are plenty versions on UK eBay.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Got a 2018 Honda Accord with 55k miles, time for new tires. I'm in southeastern Pennsylvania, which hasn't required me to drive in substantial snow in 3-4 years--but it has been rainy as hell, so I'm looking for all-season.

Pricey option is Michelin Crossclimate2, $720 for 4. Medium option is Hankook Kinergy, $610 for 4 (but reviews report lower-than-expected tread life and understeering issues). Cheap option is Falken, $455 for 4. Which should I go with?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

The Macaroni posted:

Got a 2018 Honda Accord with 55k miles, time for new tires. I'm in southeastern Pennsylvania, which hasn't required me to drive in substantial snow in 3-4 years--but it has been rainy as hell, so I'm looking for all-season.

Pricey option is Michelin Crossclimate2, $720 for 4. Medium option is Hankook Kinergy, $610 for 4 (but reviews report lower-than-expected tread life and understeering issues). Cheap option is Falken, $455 for 4. Which should I go with?

Can you get Vredestein Quatrac Pro in your size?

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Looks like I can! I'd seen some good things about the Vredestein but I think the TireRack.com search engine was "conveniently" not returning those unless I went in to specifically ask. Looks like a good price point ($610) too.

So I'm guessing you recommend them?

Edit: a couple of reviews are down on the aquaplaning performance, which is kind of a big deal for us. But still seems like a solid tire.

The Macaroni fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 12, 2022

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I've heard nothing but good things about the CrossClimate2 - it would be my #1 choice for an all-season if snow performance was important and I wasn't regularly doing aggressive performance driving that would be hard on the tires and prematurely wear them and make them useless in weather.

Also, I've had a ton of tire experience over the years and Michelin seems to consistently make tires that meet my expectations for whatever the performance category is. Most of experiences with other brands (other than limited-scope performance tires where there are plenty of options that are better than anything Michelin does) have been disappointing in one way or another.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I've heard nothing but good things about the CrossClimate2 - it would be my #1 choice for an all-season if snow performance was important and I wasn't regularly doing aggressive performance driving that would be hard on the tires and prematurely wear them and make them useless in weather.

Also, I've had a ton of tire experience over the years and Michelin seems to consistently make tires that meet my expectations for whatever the performance category is. Most of experiences with other brands (other than limited-scope performance tires where there are plenty of options that are better than anything Michelin does) have been disappointing in one way or another.

Michelin is pretty much all I buy. I'd buy another set of Hakka R3's for my M3 if it was still my daily and I was going into the mountains, but that's about it.

I hope they eventually make the crossclimate 2 in 15" sizes because I'll throw them on my Prius.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

The Macaroni posted:

Looks like I can! I'd seen some good things about the Vredestein but I think the TireRack.com search engine was "conveniently" not returning those unless I went in to specifically ask. Looks like a good price point ($610) too.

So I'm guessing you recommend them?

Edit: a couple of reviews are down on the aquaplaning performance, which is kind of a big deal for us. But still seems like a solid tire.

They're a bit of a budget alternative to the CC2s, but if you can afford the CC2s I'd take them.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

So we got some snow and ice in the last five days or so and I got a chance to lightly test out the Sumitomo Ice Edges I put on the MINI. They have good grip, and even pulling out of my icy driveway this morning my son commented on how little loss of traction there was even compared to our truck with BFG ATKO2痴.

Overall handling is very good as well now that it痴 cold out consistently. They were (expectedly) squishy on 55-60ー days.

For $280 per set is definitely buy again.

For reference:

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

So I got these Michelin PS A/S 4s and they're cool and stuff. Except at about 36-38 MPH and again almost precisely at 67 MPH I'm getting a weird sound. Not really sure how to describe it, it's like a high frequency resonating howl. The howl has a pretty set rate at fading in and out at a little less than a second and the rate is the same at 37 and 67. It's not super loud so relatively smooth pavement is required to hear it. It doesn't seem to be coming from any particular part of the car and I had the dealership take a look and they couldn't find anything mechanically wrong so they just shrugged and said their only guess is the tires. Searching around I'm not finding any specific mentions of this, just scattered old random complaints about the A/S 3.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク
Haven't posted here in a while but poking in to say crossclimate 2s are the absolute poo poo as a winter/wet focused all season. I have super picky customers and they love them I'm in the high rockies mind you. If u got a decent awd and don't live on a literall ice sheet cliff face, these are all u will ever need.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Any recommendations for load range E all terrains? I was initially planning on just getting some Firestone Transforce AT2's because I love the HT2's so much but I've heard mixed things about the AT2's.

I'm currently leaning towards the BFG KO2's based on the general sentiment that they have good across the board performance in terms of tread life, tire noise, and traction.

runaway pancake
Dec 13, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 12 days!)

Gravy Boat 2k
I recently put CC2s on my FWD sedan in the snowy upper midwest. So far they're amazing and perform better than the ExtremeContact DWS06 I've been using for the last 10 years. The snow performance of the contis did not hold up after 15k miles, so I'm really hoping the tread design of the CC2s will improve longer term performance.

runaway pancake
Dec 13, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 12 days!)

Gravy Boat 2k

Yerok posted:

Any recommendations for load range E all terrains? I was initially planning on just getting some Firestone Transforce AT2's because I love the HT2's so much but I've heard mixed things about the AT2's.

I'm currently leaning towards the BFG KO2's based on the general sentiment that they have good across the board performance in terms of tread life, tire noise, and traction.

I went with the Falken Wildpeak AT3W this time and they're significantly better in snow than the KO2s. They're also significantly quieter. I felt the KO2s wore out too quickly for their price. There's not as much data out there on the Falken vs the KO2s but everything I've read has said they last longer than the KO2s do. I'm hoping that ends up being the case.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
So I went with the Michelin Crossclimate tires and, uh, my gas mileage has dropped substantially (30 MPG to 24). No change in driving habits or distance or type, only variable is the tire. I知 already heading back to the shop because one of the tires is getting shaky at speeds over 50 MPH, but is this a thing?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

The Macaroni posted:

So I went with the Michelin Crossclimate tires and, uh, my gas mileage has dropped substantially (30 MPG to 24). No change in driving habits or distance or type, only variable is the tire. I’m already heading back to the shop because one of the tires is getting shaky at speeds over 50 MPH, but is this a thing?

I壇 have them check inflation while you are there getting the balance sorted out. Maybe they left them a little low? The cross climates might be a touch heavier than what you had before but not in a way that should drop mpg by 20%

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The Macaroni posted:

So I went with the Michelin Crossclimate tires and, uh, my gas mileage has dropped substantially (30 MPG to 24). No change in driving habits or distance or type, only variable is the tire. I’m already heading back to the shop because one of the tires is getting shaky at speeds over 50 MPH, but is this a thing?

Is this actual gas mileage or the reported gas mileage by the car?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
are they a different size than your previous tires?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Yerok posted:

I have General Grabber ATX on my truck ('15 2500HD Duramax). They've worn fast, but have been pretty solid. They replaced Michelin LTX ATX2s. The Michelins were way quieter on-road, and lasted longer, but weren't great in snow/mud.

I had Transforce AT2s on my old truck ('07 2500HD gas). They were nowhere as good a tire, much more in the "meh commercial aka cheap all terrain", which is what they're designed to do. I think they were quieter on-road and lasted forever, though.

The KO2 is the standard for a reason, it's pretty hard to go wrong with them. That's probably what will go on my truck if I keep it long enough to replace the Generals.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

sharkytm posted:

I have General Grabber ATX on my truck ('15 2500HD Duramax). They've worn fast, but have been pretty solid. They replaced Michelin LTX ATX2s. The Michelins were way quieter on-road, and lasted longer, but weren't great in snow/mud.

I had Transforce AT2s on my old truck ('07 2500HD gas). They were nowhere as good a tire, much more in the "meh commercial aka cheap all terrain", which is what they're designed to do. I think they were quieter on-road and lasted forever, though.

The KO2 is the standard for a reason, it's pretty hard to go wrong with them. That's probably what will go on my truck if I keep it long enough to replace the Generals.

When my wife痴 1500 Z71 kept having tire issues (thanks GM for using 20 inch wheels and non-LT tires on a 5,000lb 登ff road truck), we switched to KO2痴 in 18 inch and 10-ply and they池e better in every way, including ride quality. I used to sell the poo poo out of the KO痴 when I was at the tire shop and I had them on my full-size Bronco. Believe the hype.

Edit: why the gently caress is the awful app getting rid of all my apostrophes?

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Is this actual gas mileage or the reported gas mileage by the car?
Reported by car and confirmed by my own math at fillup. Also drove a different car for the first time in a few days and holy crap I didn稚 realize how rough the other one with new tires was riding. Made my own car feel like a Mercedes in comparison, and on Philly roads no less.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Michelin just announced the Pilot Sport 5.

https://www.michelin.com/en/press-releases/launch-of-the-michelin-pilot-sport-5-and-michelin-primacy-4-tires/

Michelin is claiming that the PS5 is 1.7% faster than the PS4S on a wet lap of their test track and 1.5% faster on a dry lap.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Does anyone have any leads on where to get racing tires in America in a 175/65-14 size? I know 14" tires are getting rare, I'm only seeing all seasons searching Tire Rack and google. I'm really hoping to avoid buying new wheels and tires.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
You can get a small amount in 185 60 14

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Beautiful! Thank you so much!

e: wow, I'm an idiot! I just noticed that my current tires are in that size, I can even find the same Direzza ZIIIs!

GOD IS BED fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 1, 2022

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
hehe

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

The Macaroni posted:

I got the Hankook Kinergy 4s2 for use as spring/summer/autumn tyre. I was going to buy the CC2s but I got the Hankook for a really good price. I still use a set of real winter tyres in the actual winter months. I find the Hankook a bit louder than my previous summer Goodyears but so far I have been happy with them. Would not want to use them year round in this climate tho.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Mr. Apollo posted:

Michelin just announced the Pilot Sport 5.

https://www.michelin.com/en/press-releases/launch-of-the-michelin-pilot-sport-5-and-michelin-primacy-4-tires/

Michelin is claiming that the PS5 is 1.7% faster than the PS4S on a wet lap of their test track and 1.5% faster on a dry lap.

Maybe this is why the drat PS4s are out of stock until March.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

Big Taint posted:

Maybe this is why the drat PS4s are out of stock until March.

tbf, everything I've had to call Michelin for an ETA is "8-12 weeks" recently. They seem like they're getting smoked by supply chain nonsense way harder than most tire companies.

Sometimes it's just "we're out, and we don't have an ETA" too. At least Goodyear and Pirelli can get me availability dates or scrounge around to find me what I need. Michelin just doesn't seem to give a poo poo.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Alright, here we go. Another loving obnoxious all terrain tire question.
I want to get some all terrain tires for my Tacoma. Rather than wait till the factory tires wear out, I'll probably trade them in and get something more suited for not pavement.

Realistically I'm probably going to get them muddy a dozen times a year, so I don't mind sacrificing some mud traction for on road manners/fuel economy, though if I ever get stuck I'll probably be cursing that decision!

I seem to see lots of people on here recommending the BFG All Terrain T/A K02s. Is that pretty much the default "mostly road use but also good for some dirty stuff" tire?
I think I've mentioned before that I mostly want to go off the beaten path for fishing, hunting and camping. Not like mud bogging, or rock crawling or crazy poo poo like that. So its most likely to be roads that were roads at some point, but aren't maintained anymore that have ruts and puddles and crap as opposed to crossing farm fields in spring or whatever.

Some random guy at the gas station a few days ago had Goodyear Wrangler something or others and he said they were pretty dope. They were the type that have some tread lugs on the sidewall. I don't know if thats a specific type or wrangler or if they're all like that. I can see how that might be handy, but I can also see that as maybe being somewhat gimmicky as well. I don't know why, but I seem to have some sort of instinctual distrust/dislike of Goodyear, but I won't rule these things out if the thread says they're a decent product and I can find them for a good price.

Price: I don't have an unlimited budget but I am in Canada, where everything is more expensive + plague pricing mark ups, and truck tires being more in general. Cursory looks at places show the BFGs in the 300+ per tire range (I'll be looking for online deals/sales) I can't not afford that, but I obviously want to look around and find the poo poo cheaper somewhere. I plan on switching the spare tire as well, so i'd be buying 5 tires not 4.

Ride/noise/fuel economy: I should probably get used to the fact that they're probably going to be a bit louder. I hope that fuel economy won't suffer too much. Gas is expensive these days :(. Also hope that the ride won't be degraded that much, but I guess I should expect something.

Treadwear: The longer the better. I don't do burnouts or anything like that and at least with my Corolla I've been pretty religious about getting alignments so hopefully they'll last for the full projected life/treadwear.

Weather: I have snow tires for this thing, so these are going to be more spring, summer, fall tires.

Anything else I should consider?
Suggestions besides the Goodyears or BFGs?

PS: I've been looking at tire rack and I see this: UTQG in the tires info thing. What the poo poo is that?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Yokohama Geolandar G015 or the latest Falken Wildpeaks. (The Yoko's are lighter for any given size so they will always get my vote.)

Edit: In Canada and bought a set of Yoko's from Canadian Tire for $800 mounted and balanced last September.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

wesleywillis posted:

?

PS: I've been looking at tire rack and I see this: UTQG in the tires info thing. What the poo poo is that?

UTQG is the tread wear rating basically. Bigger number is better but generally inversely comparable to traction ratings. I've ran the BFGs and Falken Wildpeaks and prefer the Falkens because they're cheaper, slightly quieter and look cooler. I suspect that BFGs are the default option for a reason, though. I've only ran the BFGs for a month so far so can't comment on wear. I don't do serious off-roading, just a logging trail here and there but they seem to be comparable in traction.

E: the BFGs are lighter if it matters.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

McTinkerson posted:

Yokohama Geolandar G015 or the latest Falken Wildpeaks. (The Yoko's are lighter for any given size so they will always get my vote.)

I just installed some of the Geolandars on my wife's car and we are happy with them so far - haven't taken them off pavement yet but they handled ice and snow just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

wallaka posted:

UTQG is the tread wear rating basically. Bigger number is better but generally inversely comparable to traction ratings. I've ran the BFGs and Falken Wildpeaks and prefer the Falkens because they're cheaper, slightly quieter and look cooler. I suspect that BFGs are the default option for a reason, though. I've only ran the BFGs for a month so far so can't comment on wear. I don't do serious off-roading, just a logging trail here and there but they seem to be comparable in traction.

E: the BFGs are lighter if it matters.

I put BFG痴 on every truck and off-roady SUV I致e owned. They池e great for getting up logging roads and casual off-roading, and wear well to boot. They also aren稚 noticeably louder in my experience than the factory tire options on a lot of modern larger vehicles. Additionally, I seem to get the same fuel economy with them on our 2020 Silverado despite them being 10-ply and thus significantly heavier than the stock non-LT rated rubber. They池e absolutely my go-to choice for anything that痴 going to be on an unmaintained dirt/farm road on a semi-regular basis.