Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«11 »
22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Also sexism, religious bias, jingoism, and so on. Don't do it, people!

Dogs, don't do it either, even if the police man really tries to train you to do it.

Well, now that it's almost June I think I'm out of danger of snow, so I ordered some summer tires to replace my winter-biased all-weather tires. Do I need to get an alignment when I swap them? The rims are 16" rather than 15" like my winters, but they're the same outer diameter within 2-3%. I'm inclined to say no, but it's entirely possible that I've been loving myself over by not doing it in the past. On the other hand, the tire shops I've used in the past probably would have pushed me to get an alignment done by them at the time if they had any justification for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom

Toilet Rascal

Nah

Charles
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom

Toilet Rascal

I try and find a good alignment shop separate from any dealer or anything else. I've had bad results with almost everybody else.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Dogs, don't do it either, even if the police man really tries to train you to do it.

Does anyone here install their own tires? I'm wondering if there are any air tools that make it easier than using one of those big spoon things, elbow grease, actual lube, and swearing. I'm about to get an air compressor and I've got an Amazon gift card I haven't had any use for. I see there's a "bead seater" but those all seem to have their own air tanks built in. I just figure if I can use my new obnoxiously loud tool to save $80 whenever I have to get new tires it's worth it.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 5, 2020

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does anyone here install their own tires? I'm wondering if there are any air tools that make it easier than using one of those big spoon things, elbow grease, actual lube, and swearing. I'm about to get an air compressor and I've got an Amazon gift card I haven't had any use for. I see there's a "bead seater" but those all seem to have their own air tanks built in. I just figure if I can use my new obnoxiously loud tool to save $80 whenever I have to get new tires it's worth it.

Iíve looked into this somewhat extensively and the basic answer is ďnoĒ. Especially if you have low-profile tires and/or big wheels.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Even if you're able to cover the mounting portion, that still leaves you with balancing.

Given how competitive the market is for mounting and balancing, and how expensive the machinery is that makes doing that job not-awful, I don't see any homegamer making that make sense financially in a lifetime.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I just buy 4 sets of wheels and 10 sets of tires and mix/match until I have a naturally balanced set

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I actually already have access to a balancing tool, my friend has one for some reason. Maybe because he does offroading, I could see that knocking tires out of balance without destroying the tire/rim?

He's also got a stand for holding the tire while he yanks like hell to break the bead and get the thing off, but I saw how much effort that takes and even though I'm not particularly weak, he's stronger than me and was struggling, so gently caress that. Maybe if it wasn't summer, I'm sweating like a pig doing any physical work outside unless it's 7-8PM, also known as the mosquito hour.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 5, 2020

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Lol dude it would be easier just to do a side job mowing an old ladys lawn for 80 bucks

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, seems like it after seeing how much work it is to do one by yourself with hand tools. That's why I was wondering if there were air tools that made it easier, since it seems like there's air tools to make 90% of everything easier.

I guess if there were my friend would already have one, he's got two air compressors, a welding setup, basically every air tool you can imagine, usually I just ask him if there's a tool I need so I can borrow it, and half the time he volunteers to help as well as bringing the tools. A good friend, but I'm limiting my contact with him because he works at a nursing home and I don't want to get dozens of old people killed.

NumbersMatching320
Oct 24, 2010

RESALE VALUE, MEIN HERR

Pillbug

I do my own rubber a lot, but my particular path through the tire business gave me a rather uncommon skillset (lol ask your tire guy if he's ever done a vertical changeover to a 45 series 17 on an aluminum wheel) as well as a deep-seated resentment for most tire shops.

Breaking beads is a problem, at my last shop we had a shunt truck so I would just bring everything to work and break beads by hydraulically dropping a 53' trailer on them, I'm pondering fabricating my own manual bead breaker now. Incidentally I'm actually just about to mount my new FK510s on my new Super Advans tonight.

Charles
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom

Toilet Rascal

Mods asked me not to post this

Charles fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 10, 2020

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Question: What's the lowest temperature you should be driving summer tires, assuming dry dirt or pavement roads? I'm getting my tires mounted next week but a couple weeks after that I'm planning on going up into the high country, where apparently the average low is in the 30s and the average high is in the low 70s this time of year. I'm worried that is too low for summer tires, they're Hankook Ventus Evo 12s and the car is a 2.2l NA Impreza, which is going to be extremely low on power at 10k feet elevation, so I'm not going to be doing much in the way of burnouts. My concern is that it's probably going to be high 80s until I start getting up high in the mountains, which is probably going to wear on my winters pretty hard. And since I'm probably going to be car camping, carrying an extra set of tires would not be ideal.

I'm reading that low 40s is the temperature to switch off of summer tires, so would I be good as long as I'm not driving too late?

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

As long as youíre aware of how much less grip youíll have, youíll be fine. 40ís is where I really notice them drop off but Iíve definitely driven well below that without crashing (but while absolutely sliding because itís fun and easy).

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I have first generation Hankook V12's on my RX8 and I've driven them on bare roads down to 0C. The lack of traction is certainly noticeable. Think rock hard 800 treadwear all seasons.

Would I do it again, not if I could plan not to but it's certainly manageable.

MajesticTrout
Apr 23, 2006

I've driven on my summer tires (RE050) down to the threshold of freezing and it's been ok, as long as road is bone dry. If the road is wet at those temperatures, traction just evaporates.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

I've driven on both PSS and PS4S below freezing. You obviously lose some traction but if the roads are dry it's fine.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I have seen super-niche tires that claim they can actually be damaged by being driven on in temperatures like that, but they're the kind of thing you'd have to go out of your way to order for a classic car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

fknlo posted:

I've driven on both PSS and PS4S below freezing. You obviously lose some traction but if the roads are dry it's fine.
Agreeing with this. It's really easy to break traction making a turn but as long as you're careful and the roads are dry, they're fine to drive with. Braking distances are obviously longer too due to reduced traction.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 10, 2020

«11 »