Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

GOD IS BED posted:

Here's a goofy question: I have TPMS valves on my Miata, and I love the way the stem doesn't flex when I'm trying to read the pressure. I have the idea of getting some cheap TPMS stems and putting them on my other cars that don't have tire pressure monitoring just for the metal stems. Or are there metal stems that can be put on rims for the same effect? And it's not like my stems are flopping around or I can't check the pressure- it's really just a convenience thing. Cars in question are a 2003 Chevy Astro van and 2007 Toyota Corolla, both with stock rims.

Your tire shop should have metal valve stems - very common on track cars, autox cars, anything where you're adjusting pressures often. Bit more expensive than rubber, but reusable. You can also buy em online, for example http://949racing.com/blackanodizedaluminumvalve.aspx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Not to say the DWS06's aren't a good tire, but an all season tire will not perform as well as a dedicated winter tire, especially when things get cold. Average Seattle weather is neither cold nor snowy, with average temperatures never being below freezing for a month and average snowfall of <5". Your conditions are perfect for an all season tire, but if you live somewhere it gets cold / snowy for real, an all weather or winter tire is a far better option.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

It'll be fine, people regularly run a 205 width tire on an 8" wheel for miatas.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Someone finally did official testing on tire width vs wheel width... matches up with what 949 Emilio / Andy Hollis have been saying for like a decade. Maybe now the stigma towards a non bubbled sidewall can die

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=296

Yup. I run 245 RS4's on a 9" wheel, and have driven 225 RS4's on a 9" (similar datecode and similar wear) back to back at both track and autox - having a bunch of miata buddies and going hey wanna swap wheels and see the difference is always great. I was faster on the 245's in both scenarios, I expect because braking *felt* better. My comparison has all been dry though, and given how small the delta between the two was in the tire rack test I'm unsurprised my experience basically matches their results.