Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I have first generation Hankook V12's on my RX8 and I've driven them on bare roads down to 0C. The lack of traction is certainly noticeable. Think rock hard 800 treadwear all seasons.

Would I do it again, not if I could plan not to but it's certainly manageable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Does tire rack or anyone else let you compare tires by weight based on a given size? I'm having trouble finding the option anywhere.

Worst case I bring up the spec sheet for each and make the list myself. Just wanted to make sure before I spend the time.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I have been recommending the new Geolander G015's for all weather all terrain tires. In the 4 ply version, they're the lightest in their class. They have the snow flake rating and handle snow very well. There's also enough siping to also be decent on ice and good in the rain.

Edit: I am a total Yokohama fanboy.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 31, 2020

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Grassroots Motorsports has been testing them for quite a few years now. This is the second time that this manufacturer has tried to break into the north american market.

They've had good things to say and they take their tire testing seriously.

Edit: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/your-tests-vredestein-ultrac-vorti-tires-2016-mazd/

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Yokohama Geolander G015's.
Lightest snowflake rated all terrain. Run them year 'round.

Cooper Discoverer (sp?) AT4's and Goodyear Duratrac Silentarmors are also very good but heavy.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I'm downsizing from 18" wheels to 17" wheels. The stock tire size is 225/45/18 on a 8" wide wheel.

My new wheels are 9" wide. Tire selection for a 255/45/17 size is abysmal. Especially for something with a high treadwear.

If I go to a 275/40/17, there's more options. Will the 1.3% circumference difference be an issue?
This is also for a vehicle that makes 180whp at sea level. Hence me looking for "lovely" all seasons and not Auto-X cheater tires.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I just wanted to follow up on my question regarding alternative tire sizes to 255/45/17 and that I am following goon advice of going with 245/45/17.

So it does happen on these forums that some of us do listen.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

smooth jazz posted:

Yes look for all weathers not all seasons if you want a safe all year compromise.

Not too many to choose, but they seem to be well regarded.

This hopefully is outdated information but Nokian all weather tires used to be very very picky about wheel alignment. Especially toe. They would wear really quickly if your alignment was off in any way. Usually this isn't an issue since it's always a good idea to get an alignment before tossing on new tires. Plus, since abnormal wear patterns tend to jump out on a larger treat block tire, it's a good warning. The tires will let you know very quickly.

Quite a few of my friends and family have all weather all terrain tires on their vehicles and all of them quite like them. I'll be tossing a set of my truck very soon as well. Neither the Cooper or Yokohama's in question have any of the wear vs alignment issues.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I just picked up a set of BFG Sport Comp 2 A/S + (What is it with tire manufactures and such long product names?)

The sidewalls are noticeably stiffer than the Hankook V12's I was running before. Let alone the winter set of Gislaveds.

I'm overall very happy with them. Especially with how linear the traction breakaway and respective feedback is. They are however very noisy at low speed and sticky enough that they pick up rocks like an R comp despite the 400TW.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Motegi and Method Race Wheels both also make light and strong wheels in Subaru fitments.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I've mentioned in the thread before that I am a huge fan of the Yokohama Geolander G015's.

They're the lightest by given size of any snowflake / mountain peak rated all weather all terrain tire.

They also come in two different ply counts per size. Sadly only the higher ply count tire is available with raised white letters.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Most ABS software freaks out past a certain OD difference in tire. So it's best to keep the difference below 2% as well. At least that's the rule of thumb I was always told. This may be outdated information or there is a last step of telling one of the vehicles computers the new OD which may resolve this issue.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

net work error posted:

Has anyone had a chance to ride on some of the new Yokohama tires that are coming out?

New / current generation Geolandars and IceGuards are awesome.

I wanted to try the latest Advan Sport AS+ but they do not make them in 255/45/17 unfortunately.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I ran Yokohama IceGuard IG51V on my F150 for six winters without issue. When I took them off they still had 7/16 tread left and full tread block sipping. Did fantastic in pretty much all conditions except on literal ice rinks.
https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/iceguard-ig51v

Edit: Looking at sizes......I think Covid may have hit Yokohama rather severely. Even my size is no longer listed.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 23, 2021

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Yokohama Geolandar G015 or the latest Falken Wildpeaks. (The Yoko's are lighter for any given size so they will always get my vote.)

Edit: In Canada and bought a set of Yoko's from Canadian Tire for $800 mounted and balanced last September.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Some more street pattern oriented all weather tires might be the ticket.
Pretty much every large manufacturer now makes at least one all weather model.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I just tossed a set of Autel MX dual frequency sensors with black rubber valve stems in one of my vehicles. Shop was able to clone the IDs of the other set without issue.

Edit: There are 3 versions available, one with black alu stems.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Falken AT3W, possibly? I had them on my WJ and while I was mostly concerned with how well they did off-road, they never gave me any trouble on-road and seemed to have all kinds of grip in the wet and very rare snow driving.

I was just going to recommend the Falken Wildpeaks. Either the AT3W or the new Trail. Both are all weather.
I have the Trail version on our Cayenne and they're pretty great in basically everything. Especially in muddy fields when towing a trailer.

Edit: I am very impressed with how well they do in freezing rain as well.

Edit2: Runner up would be the Yokohama Geolander G015. Also very very good in the wet and basically everywhere else.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 15, 2023