Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
I live in Wisconsin, but no one that I know actually swaps out winter tires from all seasons. But, just today I also bought a new Subaru Outback - This will be the fanciest car I've ever owned and I want to take care of it. I'm also a little worried that the all wheel go will tempt me to overdrive conditions in winter. Thinking about getting a set of steel rims and some winters - What do you do to store these things though? stack them up in the basement for 8 months of the year? How huge of a difference do these really make, if you've spent your life driving without them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
I find those comments disturbing and appealing and I am so curious I want to try it. But I was more wondering about this kind of thing,

Tire Rack posted:

Place each clean and dry tire in its own large, opaque, airtight plastic bag (such as lawn and garden bags) for storing. Avoid allowing any moisture to remain and remove as much air as practical (some drivers even use a vacuum cleaner to draw out as much as possible). Close the bag tightly and tape it shut. This places the tire in its own personal mini-atmosphere to help reduce oil evaporation.

Keep the tires away from sources of ozone. Electric motors that use contact brushes generate ozone. Keep your tires away from the furnace, sump pump, etc.

I mean, assuming they were good for 40k miles and I ran them for 4 months of the year, that's 10 years life, a good 2/3 of which are spent in storage. Is this even something to worry about or just go full ham and laugh at the suckers who don't have AWD and snow tires?