Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I'd have a set of summers and a set of winters and use the winters for the months were it get's a bit colder and be confident that I'd have better tires than 90% of other people on the road. But I'm a Swede and deeply indoctrinated in the "summers n' winters set" thing. Maybe a great all season tire if it almost never snows and you can stay home if it does. But summers >>>>> all seasons at summer temperatures.

Edit: We don't even have all season tires for sale that are approved because they are "poo poo" according to the government. A ton of people advertise cars with all seasons, but in reality they are just winter tires that they run all year round (which is legal).

Oh and to contribute. I run Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance on both my cars. I chose it because of the good reviews combined with decent price and low dB. I wouldn't say it's super quiet, but good all around. I drive <200hp cars though, so a real performance car might do better on Pilot Sports etc.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Of course got a flat tire on my rear left. Brand new Goodyears as well. Seems to be a slow leak.
Tire places and mechanics that do tires here do something they call (directly translated) "umbrella repairs" that are supposed to be permanent. Might be hard to answer, but can tire repairs generally be trusted? It's about 40-50% of the cost of a new tire.
Also, my car has one of those lovely repair kits so I am praying for it to for once work and get me to a tire shop...

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Labour costs in Sweden. I'm actually surprised it's that cheap. The repair is $47 (including mounting and balancing it), the tire ~$100 then there is mounting cost and balancing cost, so probably ~£130 in the end. Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance. Goodyear might have some warranty, but I probably missed some step in the fine print.
Good to hear the repair is reliable. I'm going to try that first. Thanks guys. :)

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 11:56 on May 3, 2019

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Charles posted:

That's an inexpensive tire. What size is it?

225/45R17 91V. Yeah they are a good deal for a premium tire. The "model" is a couple years old but got high marks and finished top 3 in many of the Swedish tire tests, and I have them on my other car. Was considering Pilot Sports but was unsure of how loud they are.

Was just outside and used the good and pump kit. Worked very well and the tire had no problem going up to the factory 2.1 bar. Booked it in for repair in 40 minutes. The fact that air doesn't rush out and that it was easy to get pumped up must be a good sign. At least in my mind.

Update: They couldn't find anything wrong with the tire. Only charged me about $3 in the end (for taking off the tire from the rim). Good.. I guess?

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 12:52 on May 3, 2019

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Goodyears aren't garbage. Like the EfficientGrip Performance model has consistently finished in the top 5 range in Swedish tests (which are pretty well conducted) the last few years. One thing that truly is garbage though is relying on the EU decibel ratings for outside noise when it comes to choosing tires. That and online reviews.

That being said, I'll probably go for Michelin's the next round to try something else.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
So I'm looking at buying a new car that has stock tire dimension of 215/55R17. Seems like it's a slightly odd size, because the Continental WinterContact TS 860 are hard to find (if not impossible) in that size. It's available in 225/50 R17 though. Should be very close in final diameter according to calculators, but what about the extra width? How much "play" is there with tire widths?
Trying to get the dealer to include winter tires and do not want to get the junky crap KIA ships their cars with.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

sharkytm posted:

There's quite a bit of slack in the measurements. Those will be fine. Good luck getting them swapped in, no one wants the stock tires, and they're "used". In general, I go narrower and taller on snows, it gives a better contact patch shape and a little more sidewall to protect the wheel.
Thanks! I wish I could go down to 16" rims for winter months, but I found that apparently the Optima PHEV won't fit 16" according to the manual. Oh well.
I'm looking to get the additional set of rims which is customary in Sweden (as we generally have 2 sets of wheels and tires). Either that or get them to knock off the $ of the sticker price so I can buy them myself. Another KIA place said they wanted $1100 for their rims+tires, which I think is Nexen/Kumho winter tires. Pricing it out myself I land around $1100-1500 for a set up which kinda stings as it's a legal requirement from December 1st.

Seems like 5x114.3 is pretty common though, so finding rims shouldn't be too hard. But the dealer doesn't have to know I'm willing to buy second hand. :P

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Is there some reason you're stuck on the TS 860s? you can also stretch a 205/55R17 on that wheel size.

Won the Swedish Teknikens Värld tire test in the Mid-Euro Winter Tires category, which is the type of tire they actually recommend now if you live in the south of Sweden since the government has decided that these types of tires are now legal. MUCH better performance in the wet/slush than the typical nordic winter tires, and since we only get a few days of snow which quickly turns to slush it seems safer to be much safer 90% of the time, than 10% of the time. They still perform well in snow/ice conditions, just not nearly as well.

Preoptopus posted:

5x114.3 is a common Japanese size as well so you can see if you could find a set used off someones Toyota or Honda or score them at a junk yard if there is such a think where you live.

Yeah I noticed this, very happy that I'll be buying into a common pattern. Been stuck with Alfa Romeos not so common pattern. Trying to get the dealer to either throw in some rims, or better yet just discount from the price and I'll go buy some second hand ones. Winter rims purely functional in my opinion, so rather not deal with new perfect rims anyway.

jamal posted:

If you're going with a slightly different winter tire size, narrower and taller is better than shorter and wider. I'm not seeing a good option to do that for 17" tires though.

It could still also be possible to use 16s so i wouldn't completely rule that out. 215/60-16 is a tire size that exists and is the right diameter.

Yeah I was hoping that, but the owners manual states that the 16" dimensions are not for the PHEV. Don't know why it would actually make any difference apart from perhaps bigger brakes due to more weight of the PHEV. I'll look into narrower and taller. I tried to find the tire dimension that gave the least difference in speed reading as a guage of close to OEM fitment.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i for one would not get that hyped up about a specific brand of nonperformance tire but good for you

Wouldn't say I'm hyped up, I just enjoy the fact that it finished best in test in the category and seems to be universally well received test-wise. Our Swedish magazines take their winter tire testing very serious lol. With the comparitavly (to crashing a brand to car, that is) low costs of buying a good set of tires I want to get the best possible for my conditions. Cheap insurance!

Thanks for all the help guys. :)

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Those look very nice and what a great price!

I'm tiring already of dealing with dealers selling cars from under me after we pretty much agreed on the car. Latest dealer wants to sell me crappy Kumho Nordic Friction tires. If it can't be helped I'll have to just accept the tires and either swap and eat the cost or live with semi-crap tires for a couple of winters.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
They placed 5th in Swedish "Vibilägare" (big car magazine that, like many Swedish magazines, do proper tire tests) in 2017. Placed 4th in Swedish ADAC test 2018. So shouldn't be terrible.

In my own tire news I managed to get best in test nordic frictions included in the price of the new car instead of the old tech Kumhos they wanted to include at first. Very pleased.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The PA51s? Maybe it’s because I’m trying to find Swedish results in American Google but I only see the HS51 summer tire.

Yeah that's true, sorry I didn't see that the results swapped the PA51 to HS51.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I think we should stop refering to winter tires as snow tires in this thread.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

InitialDave posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lplaTRkPjTg

I never knew that American "all season" tyres weren't quite the same as european ones.

Didn't know this either. Does explain a ton though...

Edit: Also, unrelated but saw you uploaded new videos. Youtube didn't notify me. Watching now!

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 15, 2019

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Ultimate Mango posted:

I now have a car with neither runflats nor a spare. It came with an inflator kit and can of what I assume is fix-a-flat goo.

Am I correct in understanding that the goo kills our very expensive TPMS sensors? As in, if I get a flat, I am better off getting a flatbed to take me to a tire place?

Don't know about the TPMS, but I was adviced by my tire guy that the goo isn't supposed to be cleaned and they have to discard the whole tire if it was used. This is in Sweden though, so much be more lax rules in the US.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Continental has made some properly good winter tires this year it seems. They won in all 3 categories tested in a Swedish magazines test (Swedish tire tests are probably among the best ones IMO). Best studded tire was the Continental IceContact 3. Best friction tire was the Continental ContiViking Contact 7. Finally, the best middle european friction winter tire (new category as these are now legal here in Sweden) was the Continental WinterContact TS860, which also finished 5th overall.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

LRADIKAL posted:

I haven't decided on anything. Sounds like the two shops are steering me wrong with all weather?

Let me back up to the beginning.

I have these stock, efficient rear end tires on my car. I want some winter tires, maybe not snow tires, but something grippier. It seems like the stock tires are pretty good, efficient, smooth and long lasting for summer drives. I want to swap all four wheels for the fall/spring/winter. Snow hasn't been happening here much lately, but I understand that even an all weather tire will give me better, safer performance during the cooler weather. Previously it was reccomended that going to a 16" rim would be a little cheaper and possibly a bit more performant.

I'm open to suggestions, I'm pretty ignorant about tires. Thanks.

gently caress off?
https://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=81123

One reason for asking which tires you have currently is to get a feel for what kind of tires you are "used" to. It's pretty lazy to ask for help and not even bothering to find out what tires you currently have. Not to mention the bad attitude.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKtnczk8Mxk

Good stuff.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
So I totally forgot that KIA fits Nexens as OEM tires on their cars and I forgot to ask them for it when I bought the car... so now I'm stuck with lovely Nexen N'Fera SU1's that also were called "so bad that they are dangerous" in the recent Swedish summer tire test. Fitting the test winners, Michelin Primacy 4's will set me back about $1k. FML :v:
Can't stand the thought of getting rid of brand new tires. At least I remembered to get the best winter tires thrown in.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 9, 2020

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I’ve eyeballed those Nexens before... if you have winter tires and understand what happens to summer tires below 40 degrees I think you’ll like what you have. They’ll be way stickier and more fun than the Primacy. Not sure what kind of “summer tire test” that is but they don’t appear to be testing tires I’d class as summers, any Primacy sure as poo poo isn’t.

I always have a set of winters and summers since it's the norm here in Sweden. I always try to buy premium. Both the Nexen and Michelin class the SU1 and Primacy 4 respectively as summer tires. IMO the tire tests that Swedish magazines do are the most thourough I've seen done.

I guess I'll have to give them a shot, especially as I won't be doing the long planned road trip due to COVID19.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Thauros posted:

1. How bad are Nfera SU1's going to be in cold weather? I live in the US and not the southern hemisphere so I have a while before I need to worry about it but I just bought a car with what looks like a brand new set.

The Nfera SU1s' a pretty garbage and I regret forgetting not having the dealer put decent tires on my KIA (Nexen are OEM). Scored pretty poo poo in Swedish tyre reviews as well, so I would imagine that they are pretty poo poo in cold weather as well. I can't justify throwing away brand new tyres, but I also can't wait to get rid of them when they are worn down. Another bad thing about them is that they are not well balanced. Had my usual guys fix it as well as it could be, but still got vibrations. My winter tyres (premium test winners) are a dream to drive on.

Also, I bet you bought a KIA/Hyundai.

Edit: Oh and after my car has been sitting for a couple of days the tires lose their shape and will bounce the car a bit for the first km or so. Very annoying.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jul 24, 2020

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Nexens are still lovely though. OEM for KIA/Hyundai. I long for the day they are worn out and I need to replace them. I am semi-seriously considering swapping out the stock KIA Optima rims for some dark bronze rims to go with the dark blue colour on my Optima. That's way in the future though as the tyres likely will last at least 2 more seasons...

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Yeah tyre ratings are generally poo poo and doesn't tell you much. Not to be too :sweden:, but our car magazines do some drat good tyre testing.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

smooth jazz posted:

Any goon looking for ride comfort, I can recommend Pirelli Cinturato P7 AS Plus II.
They really round off harsh impacts and smaller imperfections are a non event.

My winter set are on the same 19" wheels, Continental Viking Contact7; when driving over a brick road I could feel and hear each individual brick.
These Pirellis just smooth out all that out. Very pleased.
Steering and grip fwiw, is "good enough".

The car came on 20" wagon wheels with Pzeros lol not going back to those.

The Viking contact 7 are great winter tyres though, but if they are loud and uncomfortable it really shows how bad the Nexens that came on my KIA are. Just swapped to them yesterday and everything is louder.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

smooth jazz posted:

Yes that was surprising, believe me.
When I went from the Pzeros on 20" to Viking Contact7 on 19", I didn't feel any difference in minor road imperfections- just as jarring.
Bigger bumps like train tracks were handled better, but I think that's more attributed to the -1" sizing.

Just checked mine and they are 17" which might be why mine aren't uncomfortable to the point that I've even thought about until you posted your experiences.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Racing Stripe posted:

Yeah, other than a vague sense that running two sets of tires is better or competent and handy or some bullshit like that, I don't have any motivation to make the move if there isn't a major benefit to it. It's just something that I figured "well, I could do that if I ever move into a house" and now I've moved into a house.

It didn't snow a single flake in Baltimore in winter 2019-2020, but there were a few decent storms this most recent winter. It snows more in my hometown in Ohio though and I always just used all season tires and didn't have a problem. Seems like it's probably not worth it. Thanks everyone!

Just FYI. Winter tyres is not about it snowing or not. It's mostly about temperatures with the possibility of snow / ice . That being said, all seasons are pretty good nowadays so if it's legal to run them during winter and you are comfortable with the added risk I guess why not?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Just wanted to say that the Blizzak LM005's won the "best central European winter tyre" test in Swedish magazine "Teknikens Värld" (the moose test guys). Still well below the Nordic friction and studded tyres when it comes to performance on snow and ice (like way below), but makes up for it with great wet and dry performance as well as good comfort levels.

I ordered them since the amount of snow and ice that we see down here in the most southern part of Sweden is very limited compared to wet and dry winter roads. I'll always have the option of not driving as well if the conditions are too bad.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

smooth jazz posted:

That's cool pardon the pun.
The test is behind a paywall, how did the Michlin X-ice Snow do vs Continental Viking Contact7 in terms of comfort?

Michlin X-ice Snow 9/10 in Comfort

Continental Viking Contact7 10/10

(Blizzaks got 8/10 for reference)

Viking Contact7 were also the over all winner of the test with "astonishing comfort levels" and great moose test performance. Definitely the tyres I'd get if I didn't want to give the euro winters a go. For comparison, the Blizzaks got 10/10 in wet and dry, while the Viking Contact7's got 4/10 and 3/10 respectively.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
That and the fact that it'll be about 8 less opportunities for a tyre shop to ruin your rims.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I'm pretty impressed with the Blizzaks so far. It's obviously much more noticeable that the wheels lose grip earlier in snow and ice compared to proper nordic winter tyres, but in return the wet performance is so, so much better that I don't notice much difference to the summers (yet). For reference I could get 4 wheel drifts going in roundabouts without much efforts in non-freezing wet weather when on (premium) nordic friction winter tyres.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I think there might be a risk of the tyres deforming and flat spotting or something if upright. I bought one of those stands that hold each tyre on the center part of the rim so that each wheel is free floating:

Nice to be able to move them around as well.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Steve French posted:

Oh man this looks real handy. Can you share a link to what you got if you’re happy with it?

They are a bit wobbly when moving on uneven concrete with bigger rims and tyres stored on it, but still good even if the build quality is just adequate. I got them from a Swedish store called "Biltema" (Harbor Freight equivalent). https://www.biltema.se/en-se/car---mc/workshop-equipment/workshop-fittings/wheel-racks/wheeled-tyre-stand-2000040445
I tried finding some in the US but seems hard to find any that aren't out of stock. But if you are in Canada I found this https://www.partsource.ca/products/dj-ts-001-certified-tire-stand-275-lbs and if in the UK there are plenty versions on UK eBay.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Maybe a silly question, but just want to make sure before I book the swap. Going from 225/55 R16 to 225/60 R16 on the same rims should be fine, right? Just a bit more sidewall and slight difference in speedo indication.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

no lube so what posted:

That’s prob within the margin, but a change of diameter can throw off traction controls/abs calculations

I’d just follow through with the diligence, Common size for platform? Any threads on dedicated forums/Reddit about people who have trouble?

If not, you prob good to go

Oops sorry, forgot to mention that it's an E39. I got the tyres with the car from the PO.

Some more googling says that 225/60 is on R15's for E39. Can't find anyone talking about the size mentioned above so far. There are junkyards selling the 225/60R16 configuration off crashed / scrapped cars though, so seems like it isn't unheard off (maybe it's why they crashed :haw:)

I like fat sidewalls.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 26, 2023

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

PitViper posted:

That's probably within allowances on that particular vehicle. I know I talked to someone about that exact same swap a few weeks ago, because that 225/55R16 is a somewhat ridiculous size nowadays as far as finding something good/available.

Wrar posted:

That's a pretty big increase. You might not have enough clearance against the strut for the extra height.

The sidewall is nice for comfort but going to a narrower tire might do wonders for your availability, or going to a 17" would probably be even better.

Wrar posted:

I just looked at Tire Rack and there are plenty of good options in the stock size. General, Conti or Vredestein are all good tires.

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?zip-code=49706&width=225/&ratio=55&diameter=16

Thanks for the input!
I finally found some posts from an E39 forum ("The tires fit fine, no rubbing at all or even close" on a non-sport suspension) that had multiple people saying that 225/60/R16 works fine and doesn't rub, so should be fine. I might swap tyres later on, but the ones on the car now are dry rotten and cracked, and don't fill me with any confidence. These tyres aslo came with the car, so would be nice if they work for a while.
If they cause trouble I'll bite the bullet and find some other tyres. Thanks for the link!

Edit:
$120 later we have thickness:

Thankfully they don't seem to rub!

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Mar 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Lmfao. Tyre prices have gone up but that's just big time oof.