Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

fknlo posted:

I've driven on both PSS and PS4S below freezing. You obviously lose some traction but if the roads are dry it's fine.
Agreeing with this. It's really easy to break traction making a turn but as long as you're careful and the roads are dry, they're fine to drive with. Braking distances are obviously longer too due to reduced traction.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

yeah what was up with that. :stare:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

https://twitter.com/stultusvox/status/1317999557138108419?s=21
Maybe I’m missing something but I don’t understand why the owner just doesn’t get the 20” winter tire and wheel set from tirerack. I’ve pointed out the 20” and 19” package and everyone keeps replying with “but the car came with 21” wheels”. Is there a weird Tesla thing where it won’t work unless you use the original tire size?

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 20, 2020

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Oh right, that makes sense. Does tirerack take brake clearance into account when they recommend wheels? I specified the Model Y Performance with 21” wheels when I looked for a winter wheel and tire package.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Unless you hit a bump and broke some of the belts in the tire you should be fine (you’d notice a bulge on the tire surface if you did).

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

mobby_6kl posted:

Has anyone used the Nankang NS-2R?

I just swapped to my winter wheels and it's clear that the Yokohamas are on their last legs, there's still a reasonable amount of thread but there are chunks missing in some places and one tire is significantly worn down on the outside (hopefully from drifting and not alignment issue). The Nankangs seem to get a good amount of buzz and can be had for like half the price of the AD08s, but it's hard to tell if it's bullshit and/or paid shilling.
I’ve never used their summer tires but I’ve used Nankang winter tires for several years and really liked them. They were about half the cost of name brand tires. I read a bunch of European sites and they seemed to like them so I tired them and was really pleased with them. They’re kind of like Lexus from the 90s in that they give you 90% of the performance of the well known name brand tires but for 60% of the cost.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I have more of a wheel question. My summer wheels are 20" diameter and 9" wide with an offset of 22mm. I'm running 15mm spacers. My winter tires are 19" diameter and 8" wide with an offset of 26mm. What size spacers do I need to get the same look?

I've tried a few wheel/tire calculator and comparison websites and they just tell me that the spacing is "similar" or that the winter tire "has more room" between it an the fender. I'd like to at least get a rough number so I can decide if I can use the same sized spacers or if I need to get a different size.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

BlackMK4 posted:

I assume you mean +22 and +26 for offset. 22 - 15 = effective +7

You'd need an offset of -5 to match your 20" wheels, so you more or less need a 30mm spacer with the 19" wheels.

https://www.willtheyfit.com/ is your friend. Subtract your spacer size from the wheel offset to get your effective offset.
Yes, +22 and +26 ET.

Thank you for the explanation and the website. You've answered my question. :)

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Hmm that probably explains why I have been waiting almost 2 weeks for the Michelin PS4A/S tires that I ordered for my mom's car from Costco.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

It’s probably affecting all courier distribution hubs. I’ve noticed a few orders in mine coming via UPS have been pushed back a day or two once they hit my regional distribution hub.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

mobby_6kl posted:

How big of a deal is cold temperature storage for high performance summer tires? I got the NS-2Rs mounted on the Miata outside but temperature are getting close to freezing in the nights while during the day it's perfect!y pleasant.

I've seen Yokohama recommend -10c as the minimum storage but there's not much I can find about this.
I've always read to store tires above -10C and TireRack says the same thing. Around me all the tire storage places advertise that they have heated indoor storage so it seems like its a thing.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The Michelin A/S 4 tires I ordered over a month ago from Costco finally showed up at the local warehouse.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I've had mine for a bit now, and they kick rear end. It's been raining lately and the grip is great. They're definitely not full summer tires but they are a quality product that more than meets expectations. Billions of times better than the Hankooks that came stock.
That’s good to hear. I’m not expecting summer tire performance from them. I just want a nice tire that I don’t need to worry about swapping out for my winters as soon as it starts to get cool.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Michelin just announced the Pilot Sport 5.

https://www.michelin.com/en/press-releases/launch-of-the-michelin-pilot-sport-5-and-michelin-primacy-4-tires/

Michelin is claiming that the PS5 is 1.7% faster than the PS4S on a wet lap of their test track and 1.5% faster on a dry lap.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I always ask the dealers or tire shops to fill the tires up to the manufacturer recommended specs from the manual. However, they always fill them to the spec on the door sticker which is about 15% higher than the recommended specs. I guess it’s a result of the Explorer/Firestone fiasco.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

smooth jazz posted:

Audi has two published tire pressures it's ridiculous.
The door jamb placard quotes max load pressures and the manual states normal load. It's like 12 psi different.

This is a big reason why people say Audi ride quality sucks; they're all riding on over inflated tires.

Dealer will only inflate per the door jamb placard so I have to deflate to nominal pressure myself after every service like a peasant.
In my RS5 it's worse than that. The manual lists "normal" and "maximum" load pressures. The door sticker is even higher than that. It's just shy of the maximum pressure listed on the tire.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I have an older car and I bought a Schrader TPMS kit for my winter tires and I'd like to buy a kit for my summer tires but everyone is sold out. Schrader says they're having supply chain issues.

https://www.amazon.com/SCHRADER-SCHRFK4S-TPMS-Retrofit-Kit/dp/B07X575DWQ

Does anyone have any recommendations for a kit (sensors and receiver) that uses an internal sensor (like OEM TPMS systems, not the valve cap type)? I'd like something with a black aluminum stem. If I have to buy the stems afterwards and replace them, that's fine.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

McTinkerson posted:

I just tossed a set of Autel MX dual frequency sensors with black rubber valve stems in one of my vehicles. Shop was able to clone the IDs of the other set without issue.

Edit: There are 3 versions available, one with black alu stems.
Yeah, that's a good point. I might be able to get away with just a second set of sensors since I already have the receiver.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Michelin has revealed the successor to the PS4S and name change. The new tires are called the Pilot Sport S 5. The new branding strategy is Brand (Michelin), Family Name (Pilot Sport), Performance Qualifier (S), Generation (5). However, it’s for OEMs only. Michelin said that the PS4S will be replaced by a new product.

https://youtu.be/gtWbjC4CQzE

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

It still quite a while away, but I'll need new winter tires this year. Are the Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 the successor to the Pilot Alpin PA4? The tread design went from asymmetrical to symmetrical directional (almost like the Cross Climate tread). The Pilot Alpin 5 also has about half the sizes available of the PA4.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Speaking of winter tires, is the Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 the successor to the Pilot Alpin PA4? The have totally different tread patterns (symmetrical on the Alpin 5 vs asymmetrical on the Alpin PA4) and the descriptions on the Michelin site highly the more sporty nature of the PA4 but describe the 5 as being "selected by premium car makers". However, it is the recommended winter tire for AMGs and the M5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I got caught by a freak early snowfall with summers on my B7 S4. It was just barely enough to cover the ground, guaranteed to be gone the next day, but I had to get groceries right then. Well, I thought I did. The driving experience was so terrifying that if I had it to do over again, I'd have stayed home and told my family to do without. The car could not corner or accelerate, and any use of the brakes (I do mean ANY) would trigger the ABS.

Now I alternate all weather tires and winters on my daily and summers and winters on my Miata.
I had a similar experience. It took me almost 15 minutes just to try and pull into my driveway.