Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Is there a formula for calculating the correct tire pressure when you change tire size?

My Mazda came with P215/45R18 tires, and the recommended pressure is 36 psi. I just ordered winter tires that are P205/55R17. Do I need to account for the change in tire volume/contact patch area?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

Fabulousity posted:

What specific Mazda is it? The information might be readily available in the car's manual if the 17" rim size is available in other trim levels. Check the specifications section in the manual, it's probably the last chapter. For example 2018 Mazda3s were sold with 16" and 18" wheel options and both sizes and the required pressures are provided in the manual. Mazda provides manual PDFs on their website if you don't have the physical one handy.

If your new size is not in the manual then you need to get your hands on a fitment guide from a tire manufacturer. I tried some quick Googling and came up empty handed though so you might need to visit a tire shop.

Correct it is a Mazda 3. My winters are 17" which is right between the 16" and 18" sizes available from the factory so I can't use the manual.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
How old is too old for winter tires? Bought a set of OE Mazda wheels today off Craigslist for $100 that came with some Hankook winter tires mounted to them. The tires look almost unused but the date code is 3711 (which I think means 37th week of 2011). I was originally going to swap my Nokian winter tires onto these wheels but now I'm wondering if I could just use the tires they came with. The seller had these stored in his barn/garage since he sold the car they were used with years ago.