Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Just a little rant and a warning for anyone who has a trailer.

I towed my camper about 700 miles on Saturday. It was hot. Truck read 102 degrees at times, and I averaged about 70mph. I don’t think I went over 75mph, which is the speed rating on most ST trailer tires. Today I was coming back from an outing and on my way into the camper I noticed a baseball size bulge on one of the sidewalls. Thats a sign of imminent failure. On closer examination 3 out of 4 tires had signs of failure. 2 had excessive crown and 1 had the bulge. All were 5psi under the max pressure when checked. Tires are 5 year old “power king towmax str” tires that came on the trailer from the factory.

Trailer tires suck. I cannot find anything in stock other than “china bombs”. If you have a trailer, its loaded heavy, its hot, and your exceeding or close to the speed rating the tires are going to fail, and soon. Inspect them close every time you stop. The tires are universally garbage, even goodyear marathons will blow out.

Hopefully the set of hi-run china bombs I put on make it home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

sharkytm posted:

We bit the bullet and put E-rated truck tires on our big boat trailers. Transforce HTs, iirc. We ran the same tires on the truck, sadly with a different bolt pattern. Lots of commercial boat haulers run identical truck and trailer wheels and tires for ease of sparing.

I would need new rims. Nothing decent in 225/75/15 other than the goodyears.

What I really want is a 5th wheel so that upgrade will cost a lot.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I needed 275/70/18 tires for my Ram 3500. I ordered a set of BFG KO2s from discount. $1182 installed.

I have a feeling I won’t like them. I have yet to find a tire that rides smooth and quiet down the highway, doesn’t get stuck on wet grass/mud, and lasts even if I tow heavy.

I like michelin defenders. Good fuel mileage, quiet, balance nice, good in snow. But I have managed to bury my truck up to the axles just trying to get a trailer from behind the garage. I tried to tell myself I can just pull it out with the tractor when it happens again but thats a pain and requires two people. Goodyear wrangler all terrains fall into this category as well, and despite having kevlar I have managed to tear a sidewall on a pothole.

I had a set of coopers at’s on my last truck that did great in the mud but I could never get them balanced right. Road force got them close but it was $900 wasted in the end.

The stock transforce ATs on my truck now are the worst tires I can think of. They say all terrain but the tread is more straight around like a highway rib. 25k and they are shot. Wet grass requires speed and 4 wheel drive. They usually leave ruts as well. They don’t ride particularly smooth either. The only redeeming quality is fuel mileage.

Hoping the BFGs live up to the hype. If not, I am going to try a set of duratracs.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Yeah, the salesman said there is a guy locally who owns a fleet of trucks and delivers RVs for a living who swears by the KO2s. I see them a lot on jeeps, I’m just not sure how they will hold up to diesel duty. I did not get the DTs with the tread wear warranty because snow traction means more to me.

My gut says these will be good for the first 10,000 miles, and then regret. I would like to get 40k of good service out of them. Who knows, time will tell.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
The 35x12.5 is “floatation” sized.
The one in the middle is metric size and probably load range D.
The one on the bottom is designed for light trucks, and may be load range E. If the one in the middle and bottom are both the same load range than the LT may have different internal construction.

On a jeep the flotation or middle metric would be preferable. Not sure an LT tire would be of any benefit.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Big Taint posted:

One of my tires lost pressure and shredded on my Express a while back. “No big” I said to myself, “I’ll just throw on the spare.” I look under the van - nothing. No spare, even the carrier is gone. I briefly wonder if I ever had one, and under what circumstances it departed...

Anyway, I needed a new tire ASAP, and they were all mismatched and old and past their sell-by. So I might as well get a complete set. And an extra so I actually have a spare. So I cruised over to Les Schwab with the wheel that had only tire remnants clinging to it.

They swapped that tire out and I ordered some sweet cheap alloys with a full set of new tires. The brand is Sailun, which I had never heard of. Since it’s a crappy van I wasn’t feeling particular.

They seem fine, they feel squishier than the old ones but that’s probably just because they have some tread. They are also a bit louder. Not reasonable to compare their grip to 10+ year old truck tires, and I never push the thing anywhere near the limits anyway, and I haven’t driven it in the rain yet.

Verdict: they were cheap.

Sailun has a good reputation in the RV world. To the point people will remove new tires just to have them because they have a reputation for being less prone to blowouts.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Just throwing this out there: KO2s have made my list of garbage tires. 19,000 miles and 3 rotations on a set I put on in February.

These are the snowflake ones on a ram 3500. I drive gravel roads/farm fields/country road and through snow/icy hill country with a little bit of highway and some towing. I probably use 4wd on a weekly basis, if not more. They ride smooth and quiet, traction is ok. But it ends there. Fuel economy and longevity sucks. Leave these for vehicles that don’t get driven. Going back to michelins regardless of how old and uncool they look.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I’m a Michelin whore. Never regretted a Michelin but I’ve regretted others.

Same, on any type of vehicle I have ever owned. Goodyear is a close second.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Baronash posted:

I was reading through this thread because I needed to buy a new set of all seasons. I saw that at least a few folks mentioned driving year-round on winter tires. How exactly did you manage that? When I was in Colorado, I had winter tires on from November to April, and the front tires were so bad by the end of it that I had to replace the front two before the second winter. Was that super abnormal?

How long ago? I last ran a set of winters year round from 2014ish to 2017ish. I still managed 50k on them. I think they were dunlops. Back in the 90s I tried that on a BMW and got maybe half that mileage.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Charles posted:

I usually sort by consumer rating on tirerack.com
For example:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Tire...ndex=0#allTitle

Those CrossClimate 2s are supposed to handle snow pretty well for an all season (there's a new category they're calling all-weather which earns the 3 peak symbol), although I haven't seen quantitative tests yet?

I just had discount mount a set of Crossimate 2s on my wifes crosstrek a few days ago. The old tires were bald, roads were frozen on the ride in and home because of an ice storm. They were an improvement over the stock tires, and overall pretty good. We get a foot of snow tomorrow so I should have a final winter verdict then.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
So its now summer time and my 2018 cummins ram needs its annual $1200 set of tires. 23k out of the stock Firestone ATs, a set of bfg KO2 old man off road tires lasted 28k, and the current michelin agilis cross climates lasted 30k but eventually the gravel did them in. They aren’t quite to the wear bars but they did not handle hauling gravel up out of the quarry when new at all. I could probably have squeezed 40k out of them had it not been for the big missing chunks of tread. Fuel economy was better than the K02s but not as good as stocks. The KO2s chunked pretty bad too on gravel duty.

I don’t know what it is about this truck but its hard on tires. None of them had any mileage warranty, of course. Although they offer them now on the same tire.

I ordered a set of firestone destination XTs with a 50k pro rated warranty but if anyone here knows of ANY tire that will actually last on this truck I would love to hear it. Must have the 3pmsf snow cert because the county doesn’t plow if it snows.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Voltage posted:

Any suggestion for new tires for my ridgeline? I'm in the northeast and want something that can do snow/mild off road duty, but my current (and beyond shot) BFG Trail Terrain's are way, way too loud. I was thinking either Michelin Cross Climates, or Vredistien Pinza AT's - both are supposed to have good off road capabilities and are snow rated. Basically just need all terrain-ish quiet tires.

I liked the cross climates on the ex wifes crosstrek. They have excellent traction in the snow, handled farm roads fine and didn’t chunk like the agilis ones did on the truck.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

rifles posted:

My brother has has pretty good luck with duratracs on his 2016 CC LB SRW with most of the miles towing a gooseneck. It still eats them but they seem to do right around 40-45k.

Thanks. The destination XTs are a direct competitor to those. I have about 1k on them so far and haven’t seen chunks missing. Traction on loose gravel seems way better than any tire I have tried but they are new. Notable loss in handling but its a truck so who cares. Noise isn’t bad either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

McTinkerson posted:

I just tossed a set of Autel MX dual frequency sensors with black rubber valve stems in one of my vehicles. Shop was able to clone the IDs of the other set without issue.

Edit: There are 3 versions available, one with black alu stems.

Seconding the autel mx sensors. I have cloned two sets, one for my old tundra and one for my BMW. Since the IDs are the same, no relearn or programming required when swapping wheel sets. They are super cheap too, like $110 for all 4 on amazon.