Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Fermented Tinal posted:

Seconding this, they're my go to winter tire since Blizzaks got lovely.

What's wrong with Blizzak? I have WS80s on my Mazda and they're awesome.

Preoptopus posted:

What's worse is that tire shaving is a thing. Don't wanna replace all 4 tires on your awd cause of a screw in or near the sidewall. Some shops will shave a brand new tire down to match your other tread depths.

What's wrong with that?

Number_6 posted:

Since the overall performance of all cars depends heavily on the tires, I'm kind of surprised there isn't a running thread (at least, that I could find) for this topic. We can discuss and debate the top tires in each category; the best "bang for the buck" tire in each category; etc. Race tires, summer tires, HP all-seasons, touring, winter, off road, etc. Goons can discuss their experience with their own personal choice of rubber. It could have a silly thread title like "Tires: Where the rubber meets the road" or "Steel-Belted Radial Insanity" or whatever.

To start off with, I'll ask AI's opinion on using summer performance tires for year round duty on a daily driver. For much of the '90s and early 2000s, I drove cars on summer tires like Goodyear Eagle GS-C or BFG KDW through the winter, without any real worries or problems. (In central Texas, there is rarely enough snow or ice on the road to matter...but it does get below freezing sometimes.) But summer tires now come with dire warnings about not using them when it's cold, even if it's dry. If you lived in a climate where it was warm most of the year, but had maybe 15 days a year below freezing would you go with the summer tire or settle for a good all-season?

I just use all-season tires for my summer tires because just driving on the street they're good enough for me. I still blow by everybody on the outside lane of the on-ramp.
edit: I got Continental PureContact LS for my Mazda 3. (205-50/17 I believe)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MrOnBicycle posted:

Labour costs in Sweden. I'm actually surprised it's that cheap. The repair is $47 (including mounting and balancing it), the tires ~$100 then there is mounting cost and balancing cost, so probably ~£130 in the end. Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance. Goodyear might have some warranty, but I probably missed some step in the fine print.
Good to hear the repair is reliable. I'm going to try that first. Thanks guys. :)

That's an inexpensive tire. What size is it?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
You really should specify model
I bet you can still buy Bridgestone Re92s.
Should I say Bridgestone are all terrible?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Bias alert!

I’ve spent plenty of time driving on RE92’s (Oh Scion tC, what a piece of poo poo you were), I’m convinced they were made by Goodyear 🥳

/bias

I have actually heard very good things about the newest Goodyear summer tire, generally couched by “never thought I’d say this but...”, ... take what I say with a big dose of salt.

I actually didn't have any trouble with Re92s on my WRX, just you could get a lot better and for cheaper.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CornHolio posted:

So Goodyears are garbage, is there anything other than the Michelins in a 245/45R20 all season that are a little, uh, cheaper?

I'm assuming I'm only going to get 20k out of these tires, and I'm not so much of an enthusiast that I'll notice a difference between a really good tire and a good tire.

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?filtering=true&width=245%2F&ratio=45&diameter=20#allTitle

Sort by customer rating, price, etc here
Looks like Vredestein Quadtrac 5s are a good value?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CornHolio posted:

I've been using Tire Rack's website (and will be buying from them most likely) and I'm tempted to go with another set of Sumitomos because I like them enough, but yeah they only lasted about 20k miles. Those Vredesteins look like they'd last even less.

There are well rated tires on there with wear ratings of 700 and up.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I don't know how the prices compare but I passed everybody with my Blizzak WS80s on my FWD Mazda. I hear the Michelin X-ICE 3s are really good too. Since you're already putting them on a Subaru you basically can't go wrong with anything halfway decent.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Preoptopus posted:

5x114.3 is a common Japanese size as well so you can see if you could find a set used off someones Toyota or Honda or score them at a junk yard if there is such a think where you live.

Don't forget you need to keep in mind offset and center bore. Aftermarket wheels usually have a large center bore and you put in a hub ring tailored for your car.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Charles posted:

What's wrong with Blizzak? I have WS80s on my Mazda and they're awesome.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

BraveUlysses posted:

saw this today:
https://www.discounttiredirect.co...flash-sale

100 off select sets of tires. can be doubled with mfr rebates.

(see website for which brands of tires are on sale)

I think its time for some Michelin PS4S! 170 off the set and free shipping. very unfortunate that DTD charges sales tax in my state.

bad link :P

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Carry one of your summers as a spare? That would take up a lot of trunk space, obviously.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Uthor posted:

I didn't think "I don't have a spare, should I get a kit or an extra tire" was over complicating anything, but okay. I'll probably get a kit and keep a summer tire in the trunk for longer trips in case and call it a day.

Haven't decided if I wanna get a new set of wheels or stop by the local junk yard. That's where I got wheels for my old car. That steelie is more expensive than cheap alloys at Tire Rack, so...

I got good advice here, I'm going to just pick up a set of winter tires next month.

Carrying one of my winter tires (in addition to the space saver spare) is what I do when I drive into the country during summer, but I also have a rooftop box and am stuffed with supplies so not sure if that compares. There is no cell service though so it feels kind of necessary.

Speaking of the spare, it's 14 years old now. I should see what it costs to get a new one.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Mazama Reputation is Les Schwab's store brand, I think made by Sumitomo (at least some of them are), which makes it really hard to get good info on it. By the picture and description it looks like a generic all season tire that's overpriced. I thought we're looking at Winter Tires?

Cooper is a huge tire company, but it doesn't have enough ratings yet on Tire Rack, IDK what their previous model was to compare it to.

LRADIKAL posted:

I was recommended Continental by a few people

I cannot say this enough: A Brand Is Not A Good Enough Recommendation. Model quality varies immensely, even amongst the same brand.

If you're looking for a recommendation, I would get Michelin X-Ice 3s. You can try the new Bridgestone Blizzak WS90s which nobody has had for a winter season yet (unless they're in the southern hemisphere maybe), the previous-gen WS80s were quite good, or you can even try and get the WS80s on closeout. Another good option is the Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT.

Anybody should be able to order those.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

LRADIKAL posted:

I'm telling you what it has and that they are slippery, and I want something less slippery for winter. Check my thread history if you are actually trying to help.

Hey, I am trying to help, but it's still not clear what exactly you decided upon. You're mentioning buying another set of wheels, so I figured that means you want winter tires, right? I gave some recommendations.
Or, do you want to not use what you have on the car at all now?
Another question, would you try driving in the snow like we had in February?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
If you can sit out driving on the rare major snow days we have I'd just get an all-season tire and drive it year round.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Preoptopus posted:

You should do it hours before a major snow storm when everyone else does it and then get super upset with the guy at the desk cause he cant get you in right away despite the waiting room full of people patiently waiting their turn. But your special cause how the gently caress are you gonna make it home to Vail with these bald tires its snowing up there right now arnt you getting how your problem is my problem?!?!?!
Thats the best time to do it.

:suicide:

I was going to say, be sure to make an appointment several days in advance, they get crazy busy. I jumped the gun and put mine on when there was snow in the passes already, and feels kind of bad driving when it was 60F out the other day, but otherwise it hasn't gotten much over 50F which is usually my criteria.

Go with one of the tires I mentioned above and I think you'll be very happy. Or the Continental VikingContact 7 MrOnBicycle mentioned. I usually base my purchasing decision on consumer reviews on TireRack, which the Continentals don't have yet, but a Swedish magazine is a credible choice when it comes to winter tires! (We might actually get a different tire than the European market but I'm guessing it will be close enough.)

And yeah I've been using Discount Tire / America's Tire for a long time and have been quite happy with their customer service.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
👏

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Cross posting, thought this thread may be appropriate. I have to replace the plug end on my inflator, is there any disadvantage to the spring loaded kind vs the locking one?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Nah

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I try and find a good alignment shop separate from any dealer or anything else. I've had bad results with almost everybody else.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Mods asked me not to post this

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 10, 2020

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
How often do those rebates for 4 tires come along? I see Michelin has $70 until the 12th. I'll need to get snow tires (& wheels) eventually but it's a long way to winter here.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

like, all the time

Ahh the Bridgestone one doesn't cover Blizzak anyway :v:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Mr. Apollo posted:

Oh right, that makes sense. Does tirerack take brake clearance into account when they recommend wheels? I specified the Model Y Performance with 21” wheels when I looked for a winter wheel and tire package.

Generally they seem to, but don't always have every parameter. For example, on a Subaru Impreza Sport, it wouldn't let me select anything less than 18" wheels. Those brakes seem to be WRX brakes which can fit smaller wheels. If they do have the option for smaller ones I'd guess they have checked, but I'd just call / email and ask.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
2020 Impreza, 205/55/16 stock size. Looking for snow tires for the Seattle area, so more to do with rain with the occasional snow. I had no problems with WS80s on my old car in the snow, which was a lowered FWD car, so I'll be happy with any of the modern snow tires I think.

The only question then was, if I buy a set of wheels, Tire Rack gives the optional size of 195/65/15. For mostly wet with occasional snow on an AWD car, is it worth it to go for the narrower / smaller size?

edit: one advantage is the tires are a lot cheaper. But somehow 16" wheels are cheaper haha

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 22, 2020

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
OK, the tire shop sent me home with one of the tires inflated to 65psi! Besides the wtf factor, think I did any damage to the tire, going about 9 miles home? I'll have to inspect the sidewall for what the max pressure is, but it's dark and I'm tired now. I set all the tires back to the door sticker obviously.
Edit: it's a blizzak ws90 and off the top of my head it's 205/55/16

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Mr. Apollo posted:

Unless you hit a bump and broke some of the belts in the tire you should be fine (you’d notice a bulge on the tire surface if you did).

Alright I'll keep an eye out. The TPMS sensor max reading appears to be 51. 💩

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Whatever is on my Kia Soul EV is surprisingly fine in rain for a low-rolling-resistance tire. I haven't tried them in true standing water yet. I'm pretty picky about crappy tires but they seem fine. Lateral grip is not super, sure.
I just looked and it's a "Nexen N Blue EV".
Also I don't judge a tire brand by one specific line of tire.

Edit: reading the limited reviews available, sounds like they wear pretty quickly though and are useless in snow, but I have a car with actual snow tires for that.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 24, 2020

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'm hoping the Michelin CrossClimate 2s will come in 205/60/16s eventually cause they sound pretty good, if the hype is real. All season tires with true snow performance (in light snow) sounds pretty baller for a place like Seattle.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CannonFodder posted:

I'm in the market for new tires as the original Michelin Primacy MXV4s are getting low already.

I'm driving a Kia e-Niro that has 200 hp and 300 torques so that's why I'm looking at high speed tires. That 300 instant torque kicks in hard.

Tire size is 215/55R17. I'm in North Carolina near Winston-Salem so not in the mountains where they get more snow.

What else should I be looking at for all seasons? Is there a site that easily compares tires?

I usually sort by consumer rating on tirerack.com
For example:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Tire...ndex=0#allTitle

Those CrossClimate 2s are supposed to handle snow pretty well for an all season (there's a new category they're calling all-weather which earns the 3 peak symbol), although I haven't seen quantitative tests yet?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Nice, the videos I watched made them seem really good.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah the guy at Discount Tire I asked last time seemed anti shaving for whatever reason. 🤷‍♂️

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Can I use an obd2 Bluetooth dongle to re-pair the TPMS sensors? Tire shop didn't do it or it didn't work, now there's a ton of traffic and don't feel like driving for another hour.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what car is it? for most cars there's a dashboard based pairing process. on my Focus it was to mash and hold the magic cheat code buttons in some sequence and then they would register.

2020 Subaru Impreza. I can't find any method. I really hate that

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MrOnBicycle posted:

Just FYI. Winter tyres is not about it snowing or not. It's mostly about temperatures with the possibility of snow / ice . That being said, all seasons are pretty good nowadays so if it's legal to run them during winter and you are comfortable with the added risk I guess why not?

I'm looking at the CrossClimate 2s for when I have to replace the tires on my EV. I use the Subaru with Blizzaks for real snow but I'd like to be able to move the EV around if I need to during snow. They look good, although don't brake as well as the Blizzaks in videos I've seen and I haven't seen an ice comparison yet. Otherwise they're really good with little compromise

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Dukket posted:

Impreza, just a daily driver

I'm looking to buy a set of wheels for my summer tires and leave the winters on the oems. I've been looking at Tirerack, is there some other site I should check out?

I don't know any of these companies, does it matter? I assume I want the lightest I am willing to pay for, is that the gist of it?

Enkei RPF1s are really light, although I managed to bend one on a gravel road, probably when I was doing 60+ mph 🤷‍♂️. It managed to hold the air for the ~400 miles home.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Not sure when to replace them, but the stock tires are mediocre at best so you should be pretty happy when you replace them. The new hotness they're pushing lately is "all weather" (vs all season) tires which have the 3 mountain peak logo on it which are supposedly way better in snow than all seasons. For heading to Tahoe they'll be fantastic.

I like to look at consumer reviews on Tire Rack and shop at my favorite retailer (America's Tire usually)
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Tire...ndex=0#allTitle
The ones that say "Severe Snow Service Rated" are the "All Weather" variety.

Realistically though for the occasional ski trip any of those well rated all seasons should be just fine. Check what score people give them in the reviews, etc. Unfortunately I never saw that Tirerack did their own tests on the new batch of tires to see measured stopping distances on snow / ice etc.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 24, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

luminalflux posted:

Thanks for the recs. Based on the tire rack reviews and this thread, I've ordered a set of Crossclimate2's through tire rack, let's see how they do.

Those look awesome, I think you'll be happy. I'm probably gonna try the cheaper Vredesteins myself for my daily driver (I have a Subaru with snow tires available to me too).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

PitViper posted:

Anecdotally, we've been having a poo poo time getting anything Michelin in particular at work. Lots of the Defender LTX, CrossClimate2, and the BFG KO2 are either hard to track down or on an 8-10 week backorder.

Trying to talk to anyone at the call center is a pain, their audio quality on the phone is garbage for some reason, and I've had multiple CSRs give me different answers when I call to verify that tires I've ordered are actually in transit and not lost in one of their DCs.

Shout out for our Pirelli rep though. 90% of the time if I call him about a tire that's marked OOS, he manages to get me a set from somewhere.

I spotted a set of CrossClimate2 in the wild, eye catching tread pattern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I want to try the Vredestein Quatrac (no Pro or other Suffix) as a cheaper alternative, though the European mags have it as higher rolling resistance, which is important in a car with a 90 mile range. hmm