Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Join us on SA boxing's discord server: https://discord.gg/FUmR3An

Terence Crawford occupies a lofty perch at the top of the pound-for-pound rankings, but his footing is unsteady at the top of boxing’s Mount Everest. The position Floyd Mayweather formerly held as welterweight champion of the world remains vacant; Crawford isn’t the only great fighters staking his claim there. The 147 lb weight class has always been a premiere division, attracting the best in the world to compete in the sport’s largest talent pool of athletes. Errol Spence, Keith Thurman, Danny Garcia, Shawn Porter and Manny Pacquiao all have their eye on the same top spot, and if Crawford is favored against most of them he would still be challenged to beat all of them.

Amir Khan is no stranger to boxing’s heights, even if he has frequently faltered in his own footing. A natural talent and once viewed as among the sport’s most promising, Khan’s quest for greatness was derailed by surprising upset losses, including two knockout losses to Breidis Prescott and Danny Garcia, and another most recently to Canelo Alvarez. At welterweight Khan is undefeated, if mostly untested. The UK fighter who once hounded Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather is now taking on the toughest opponent he has fought since Saul Alvarez, who knocked him out three years ago. Terence Crawford could very well be his last real shot at the top spot.

The pinnacle of boxing is a small summit, not easily reached and even less easily held. Each generation a handful of fighters are lucky enough to reach spitting distance of it, and a select few may set foot upon it, if only for a moment. Even then, the ever-blowing winds of change can crash down years of effort, and if not then the steady erosion of time's passage will eventually do the job. Those who stand above all others do so on shaky ground. All mountains crumble, all towers topple. The slopes of Mount Everest are littered with the bones of those who never made the climb; those exceptional few who do must still return to earth. At the top of the world there is nowhere to go but down.

Saturday, April 20, 2019
9pm ET / 6pm PT on ESPN PPV
Terence Crawford (34-0, 25 KO) vs Amir Khan (33-4, 20 KO), welterweights, 12 rounds
Teofimo Lopez (12-0, 10 KO) vs Edis Tatli (31-2, 10 KO), lightweights, 12 rounds
Shakur Stevenson (10-0, 6 KO) vs Christopher Diaz (24-1, 16 KO), featherweights, 10 rounds
Felix Verdejo (24-1, 16 KO) vs Bryan Vasquez (37-3, 20 KO), lightweights, 10 rounds

Terence “Bud” Crawford (34-0, 25 KO) already has two weight classes of defeated opponents to vouch for his talent and skills. Yuriorkis Gamboa, Viktor Postol, Julius Indongo, Jeff Horn and Jose Benavidez list among fighters who were undefeated before they fought him. Crawford’s switch-hitting style is equally effective from orthodox or southpaw stances, making him both adaptable and hard to adapt to and giving him an edge on offense. Some fighters have a natural, self-evident talent in the way they fight and that is absolutely the case for Crawford, who is one of the sport’s best finishers. Crawford is a slow starter and occasionally gets outworked in the first three round, but by the fourth he has figured out his opening and begins exploiting it relentlessly.

Amir “King” Khan (33-4, 20 KO) is years removed from an undefeated record, but wins over good contenders like Andreas Kotelnik, Marcos Maidana, Devon Alexander and Chris Algieri have kept him relevant in the welterweight division. What makes Khan a star is his sensational punching speed, placing him among the fastest hands in boxing. Speed kills, goes the old saying, and plenty of fighters have found Khan’s speed a tough obstacle, even on their way to ultimate victory. What betrays Khan is his weak chin, which he often leaves unprotected in his haste to put the hurt on his opponent. With discipline Khan can be hard to hit and sharp on the outside, but in a twelve round fight that discipline can easily slip.

Crawford and Khan are at very different levels at this stage in their careers. Terence Crawford is a budding star, with an appealing style and the potential to be a new generation’s Floyd Mayweather. Amir Khan has taken shots at elite fighters before and come up short several times. There is no doubt that this is Terence Crawford’s fight to lose, as he is an overwhelming favorite against Khan who arguably is not even in the division’s top five fighters. What makes this match intriguing is the style matchup between two extremely athletic fighters both known for their accuracy and offensive dominance. This will be a battle of speed, power, and technique between two fighters known for all three attributes.

Key Factors
  • Amir Khan’s speed vs Crawford’s slow start - One frequent criticism of Bud is that he’s a slow starter who frequently gives rounds away. The same is not true for Khan, who can get his fight plan started early and aggressively. Like all fast fighters, Khan’s speed is best made use of early, before an opponent has figured out his timing. Crawford is good defensively, but not Mayweather good, and Khan is fast and accurate enough to catch him with a significant punch.
  • Crawford’s power vs Khan’s chin - Amir Khan’s chin is notoriously shoddy, and three of his four losses have come by knockout. Crawford displayed plenty of punching power in the lightweight and jr welterweight divisions, and he’s also very fast and accurate. Khan can move well and fight on the outside when he feels like it, but sometimes gets caught in a fight and lets his guard down. That puts him at risk for another lights-out KO at the hands of Crawford.
  • Crawford’s adaptability vs Khan’s temperament - Terence Crawford is one of the most versatile active fighters today, able to fight forward or backward with either lead foot. This gives him ability to switch up his looks and frustrate opponents whenever they start to get comfortable. Khan will need to fight a disciplined fight to protect his chin from Crawford, but that will be tough to do against a fighter who is naturally difficult to get a handle on. If Khan has any chance beyond a puncher’s of winning this fight, he’ll need to keep his cool and keep an eye on whatever Crawford may try to surprise him with.

My prediction: Crawford and Khan will probably start off with a technical first round of probing each other with their jabs, but I expect it will heat up toward the end and stay active going into the second and third round. Khan will try to control the pace with his speed and I think Terence will mostly be content to let him do it, at least until the fourth round or so. This is where Khan needs to try to ambush Crawford and land a damaging shot if he can pull it off, because around the fourth is where Crawford usually picks up the pace. This may involve Crawford switching his stance to surprise Khan with entirely new angles. If Khan is smart he will stay on the outside and contest Crawford at mid range, but Crawford is also very sharp on the outside and if he smells blood he’ll go in for the knockout. If Khan has survived by the later rounds he’ll probably be mostly backing away from Crawford’s aggression, but it’s possible he can out-point Crawford at distance. Ultimately I think Terence Crawford is too fast, too sharp, and too fluid for shopworn Khan, who I think will take a few of the early rounds before succumbing to Crawford’s work in the middle rounds. Terence Crawford by KO.

The Undercard: On the co-feature, Teofimo Lopez (12-0, 10 KO) continues building his undefeated record against Edis Tatli (31-2, 10 KO) a former lightweight (135 lb) titleholder. Lopez is a very promising prospect whose flashy style and devastating combinations make him a very promising up-and-comer and he could potentially be a tough challenge for p4p top dog Vasyl Lomachenko if he continues developing his boxing skills. Fellow unbeaten prospect Shakur Stevenson (10-0, 6 KO) also steps up in competition against Christopher Diaz (24-1, 16 KO) in the featherweight (126 lb) division. An Olympic silver medalist, Stevenson was once called “the next Mayweather” by none other than Floyd itself, but still has a long way to go in establishing that. Rounding out the card, Felix Verdejo (24-1, 16 KO) takes on Bryan Vasquez (37-3) at lightweight (135 lb) as he attempts to regain some of the luster he once had as a prospect, before losing to Antonio Lozada Jr. in a fight that saw him sent to the canvas and stopped.

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

There are some prelim fights starting at 6pm eastern time on ESPN2:

Carlos Adames (16-0, 13 KO) vs Frank Galarza (20-2-2, 12 KO), junior middleweights, 10 rounds
Lawrence Newton (11-0, 7 KO) vs Jonathan Garza (7-2, 2 KO), bantamweights, 6 rounds
Vikas Krishan (1-0, 1 KO) vs Noah Kidd (3-1-1, 2 KO), junior middleweights, 6 rounds
Edgar Berlanga (9-0, 9 KO) vs Samir dos Santos Barbosa (37-15-3, 26 KO), super middleweights, 8 rounds
Larry Fryers (9-1, 3 KO) vs Dakota Polley (5-2, 2 KO), junior welterweights, 4 or 6 rounds

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

looking forward to seeing khan win a few rounds with his speed and then crawford getting used to the speed and then taking him out between 6-10 tbh*

*if i'm awake

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Danny Garcia's also fighting tonight on a FOX card that starts at 8pm eastern and continues on Fox Sports 1 at 10:30pm so there's a lot of boxing to watch tonight.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

thehappyprince posted:

looking forward to seeing khan win a few rounds with his speed and then crawford getting used to the speed and then taking him out between 6-10 tbh*

*if i'm awake

yeah, absolutely this

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Reading op how did crawford hit the top of p4p? Something happen to Lomachenko?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

IMO he and Lomachenko are basically trading places at the top.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

loma's actually fought someone tho

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

amir khan is a name i havent heard in a while. im off work today what are the vegas odds on crawford

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

STONE COLD 64 posted:

amir khan is a name i havent heard in a while. im off work today what are the vegas odds on crawford

https://www.oddschecker.com/us/boxing-mma/boxing/terence-crawford-v-amir-khan/winner

Anywhere from -2100 to -1200 for Crawford. +700 to +800 for Khan

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think Chaoslord gave into his gambling addiction and has bet the house on Khan winning a technical decision after an accidental clash of heads in the 5th round, a very specific prediction, but probably the best way for Khan to win.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Khan won't even win a few rounds at the start like everyone's saying, he'll just get beaten up and stopped. He looked terrible in the Sammy Vargas fight.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

yeah....i think im gonna save my money for tomorrow's vgk/sharks game instead.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'd like to watch this but im going to sleep instead since khan is going to lose quickly

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I think Chaoslord gave into his gambling addiction and has bet the house on Khan winning a technical decision after an accidental clash of heads in the 5th round, a very specific prediction, but probably the best way for Khan to win.

Confirmed.

Ready for And New :cool:

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
https://twitter.com/SeethingsCosmic/status/1119749915410722817

Help me choose friends

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

have you seen the first two?

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

having your wife work your corner must be such a weird dynamic

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

thehappyprince posted:

having your wife work your corner must be such a weird dynamic

Did I hear it correctly that shes also his head trainer?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

willie_dee posted:

Did I hear it correctly that shes also his head trainer?

Yep

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

she’s taller than him. i give it 2 years tops

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Hanna Gabriel is her name btw if you want to look up her career

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

really is no excuse for such a long wait between fights when the last one went to points tbh

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
drink every time the commentators say ”fortnite”

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

danny garcia mkii

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Oof that body shot

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Tatli has absolutely nothing for him

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Well.

This has been a card.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

lmao i forgot all about the joshua beef

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I just woke up conveniently I guess I'll find a stream and watch this before going back to sleep

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The national anthems before the fight is dumb as poo poo

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I have never heard of this American anthem singer but that was surprisingly okay for a major boxing fight anthem.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

who is it that keeps deciding we need anthems? just get on with it

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The doctor is going to prescribe you some anti-nausea medication, okay?

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer
Fantastic OP 👌 thanks homie

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

The doctor is going to prescribe you some anti-nausea medication, okay?

Yeah lol wtf

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer
GET HYPE 💪💪💪💪💪

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I want to see brook knock him out you idiot commentators

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

I want to see Khan throw up since that's on the table now apparently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

i think the anti nausea medication might be for the commentator who passed out earlier