Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Tir McDohl posted:

The whole plotline about Yuki and Kyo having trouble finding Tohru's house in the smartphone era would be very different.

Possibly, but Japanese residential streets usually don't have actual designations like "5th St" and IIRC the "address" is more of a reference number for their postal route than an incremented number the way we're used to. That's why you typically see someone draw a map when explaining where they live, because they can't say "go down X street, turn right on Y lane, it's number 12345." If Yuki & Kyo only have the general area and the map, they'd still have to try and overlay the map on their smartphone's mapping program. Plus they're looking for a house where the renovations are "finished," so they'd exclude the house as not the right one until they remember that the exterior walls aren't done regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CesspoolofHatred
Apr 3, 2017

Tir McDohl posted:

At least her Grandpa is great.

Something I noticed this episode is that they have not taken any steps to modernize this story. The whole plotline about Yuki and Kyo having trouble finding Tohru's house in the smartphone era would be very different.

Tohru probably doesn't have a phone because she sold it to be a tent hobo

also I'm pretty sure Smartphones would be a zodiac's worst nightmare cause ain't nobody wanna deal with animal selfies, so they just have a moratorium on that poo poo. Nobody in the Sohma clan has any modern tech (besides Shigure's sweet TV)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

If this had been updated to modern technology then that cousin in the couch who was constantly correcting grandpa on Tohru's name, would have been playing with her phone the entire time.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Paracelsus posted:

Possibly, but Japanese residential streets usually don't have actual designations like "5th St" and IIRC the "address" is more of a reference number for their postal route than an incremented number the way we're used to. That's why you typically see someone draw a map when explaining where they live, because they can't say "go down X street, turn right on Y lane, it's number 12345." If Yuki & Kyo only have the general area and the map, they'd still have to try and overlay the map on their smartphone's mapping program. Plus they're looking for a house where the renovations are "finished," so they'd exclude the house as not the right one until they remember that the exterior walls aren't done regardless.

Well also I meant they might have been able to call Tohru for directions or something.

That it led to Heroic Home Invasion instead is probably for the best.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
GPS exists in Japan. They could have used that. I don't think anyone wants modern tech updates though. This is nostalgia cash-in.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Tohru rents an airbnb during the renovation and the entire series is averted.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I like that those boys were actually visible the first time we saw the scene.

even if i didn't notice on my own

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

5 episodes in and the show has made me cry.

-solid snake voice- You're pretty good.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I've only just come across this anime. Furuba has a fond place in my heart. It was the first manga I ever read, my introduction into manga/anime, and the only manga I hold in paper copy.

I wonder how they're going to handle the monkey. Times have changed, and telling their story in TYOOL 2019 is potentially walking a minefield.

I'm only 4 episodes in. I love this anime so far, I'm just disappointed that Hana hasn't yet broken the fourth wall for comedic effect like she does in the manga.

One thing I prefer in this anime compared with the previous anime is that Momiji speaks German like he does in the manga! I could be remembering this wrong but I'm fairly sure in the original anime instead of saying "sehr hubsch" he says "kawaii"

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 10, 2019

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Spent this episode about 50/50 between misty eyed and grinning.

I wonder who came up with their onigiri logo, it's pretty drat good.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

How many episodes does the manga have material for? I'm guessing it's going to at least match the original 26 episodes.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Coxswain Balls posted:

How many episodes does the manga have material for? I'm guessing it's going to at least match the original 26 episodes.
I'd say it could go the mile for 52?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I've heard that they're doing about 2 chapters per episode which would put it roughly at 3 24 episode seasons, but i'm literally just guessing and going off hearsay.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Oh hell yeah I'm down for that.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

German lads accent sounds super forced in the English dub, how is he in Japanese

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Definitely more than one season, otherwise I don't think the title at the end of the OP would say "1st season".

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'm willing to bet the first season ends with kyo taking his bracelet off

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

That happens much sooner in the manga than it did in the first show iirc, which used it as part of the finale.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Rody One Half posted:

That happens much sooner in the manga than it did in the first show iirc, which used it as part of the finale.

It did make for a fantastic penultimate and half-ultimate episode.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I can't remember the exact chronology as it has been a while since I read the manga, just that it's a significantly big event for a season ender.

If they want to end on a higher note, maybe one of the nice trips to the lake

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Is it worth watching the old adaption?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

No.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
It really depends on what you're liking in the new adaptation - the old version absolutely beats the new one on amping up the humor (Yuki's fan club introduction has so much more character,) and the original soundtrack, especially the OP, is a classic.

However, the new adaptation is probably a better fit for the manga as a whole - it's certainly more of a drama than a madcap comedy, and so far, the adaptation has been very good about rearranging things to maximize that emotion and play down the jokes. It feels much less situational/episodic like this time around. Even the animation, storyboarding & direction of the reboot lean towards realism over any sort of exaggerated style at every turn.

Basically, if you liked how goofy late 90s/early 00s anime could get, it's worth looking at the old show. Otherwise, sticking with the new show is enough, though definitely check out the manga if you've not already.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

It's been so long that I don't think I could make a comparison, but I do miss some of the old soundtrack. The chaotic drumline that plays when stuff begins to go wacky is one of my favorites and I still hear it in my head from time to time.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I did catch a bit of temporal whiplash in the most recent episode when at school all the girls were taking pictures with smart phones, but there was a rotary dial landline at the house. I'm kind of curious what technology was present in the original manga/anime for those scenes.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Indiana_Krom posted:

I did catch a bit of temporal whiplash in the most recent episode when at school all the girls were taking pictures with smart phones, but there was a rotary dial landline at the house. I'm kind of curious what technology was present in the original manga/anime for those scenes.

Looking at the festival scene in the original, there wasn't even traditional cameras. The land line is also a rework as well as in the manga Hitori handed a note off to Tohru directly. I think that might mean they looked to put an intentional shift from the modern world and the isolated Sohma clan.

Ultraklystron fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 12, 2019

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Question about a spoiler my wife is trying to figure out: My wife remembers that the hat is Kyo's but it was Yuki that led her home as a kid. However she can't remember how Yuki knew where she lived and/or why he helped her get home. Anyone remember? Is it ever explained in the manga?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Ultraklystron posted:

It really depends on what you're liking in the new adaptation - the old version absolutely beats the new one on amping up the humor (Yuki's fan club introduction has so much more character,) and the original soundtrack, especially the OP, is a classic.

The comedic timing of the original was impeccable. I hope the new version doesn't let us down with the visit to Hana's house.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Junpei Hyde posted:

Is it worth watching the old adaption?

To press on the point from the replies, watch the OP and ED, they're essential

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Paracelsus posted:

The comedic timing of the original was impeccable. I hope the new version doesn't let us down with the visit to Hana's house.

Agreed! Akitaro Daichi is a legend of balancing pathos and with perfectly timed humor. He hammered that home with Kodocha, and while Natsuki Takuya wasn't happy with Daichi's adaptation of Fruits Basket, I really doubt the manga would've been such a big hit in the US without the anime. I really don't expect the new adaptation to capture that, but it's worth highlighting and revisiting because that snappy direction was a big part of it finding such a broad and lasting audience in the West originally.

Ultraklystron fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 13, 2019

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Fruits Basket! What a blast from the past. The show's dub was one of my earliest exposures to anime, and I have fond memories of it. Especially the 2001 OP. That melody's instantly recognizable for me. I enjoy how the remake matches a lot of the shots from the original (at least from what I've watched so far) -- while I liked the original, the art style and animation (esp. the faces) makes it kinda hard to revisit, so I'm glad I can finally see the whole story. 2001 version has a better OST though.

Looking forward to seeing more of best characters/best friends Uo and Hana :3:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Elephant Ambush posted:

Question about a spoiler my wife is trying to figure out: My wife remembers that the hat is Kyo's but it was Yuki that led her home as a kid. However she can't remember how Yuki knew where she lived and/or why he helped her get home. Anyone remember? Is it ever explained in the manga?

Manga spoilers ahoy.

I think Yuki saw her mom looking for her and giving a reporr to the police outside her home. Memory is hazy though.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I've still got my paper volumes, but I only collected up to 19 because by then I knew someone else who'd lend me theirs.

Cleverly, they'd only lend me the next volume if I gave back the previous one. In the end I gave back the final volume, borrowed some other stuff from them and now I have their copy of Shadows of the Damned for the xbox 360 until the end of time.

Considering reading them again.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Manga spoilers ahoy.

I think Yuki saw her mom looking for her and giving a reporr to the police outside her home. Memory is hazy though.

Thank you!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm starting to suspect Tohru must generate some sort of gravity distortion effect. The Hugs Boson Field maybe.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Well that episode was a knife twister. Jesus.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Elephant Ambush posted:

Well that episode was a knife twister. Jesus.

Yeah, through general anime internet osmosis i had come to expect some seriousness to hit this week, but i wasn't actually prepared for the series of emotional bodyblows that it actually delivered.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Hmm, this Akito fellow doesn't seem to be the nicest.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

I wonder how well this is doing. In the corners of the internet I check (like this thread and twitter) there are very few people talking. I sure hope the "1st season" in the opening doesn't end up being hubris. This adaptation is so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Tir McDohl posted:

I wonder how well this is doing. In the corners of the internet I check (like this thread and twitter) there are very few people talking. I sure hope the "1st season" in the opening doesn't end up being hubris. This adaptation is so good.

AFAIK the whole thing has already been funded.