Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I started watching this and it appears to involve the most abusive and dysfunctional "family" I have ever seen. I volunteered at a domestic violence shelter for 10 years and this show just makes me sad because I can just mentally tick off the boxes of the various kinds of abusers and mental illnesses.

I asked my wife to spoil the whole series for me since she read all the manga and knowing everyone's motivations is the only way I can stomach all the horrible poo poo these people do to each other.

It makes me even more sad to think that one of the reasons this manga is so popular is that tons of people can probably relate to at least one character really hard because they've seen that stuff in their own lives or have friends who have been through it :(

Edit to avoid being a total downer: Uo and Hanajima are probably the best friends I've ever seen in any series and Uo is far and away my favorite character. She doesn't take poo poo from anyone and viciously protects her friends. My favorite joke in the series so far is when the Yuki fan club girl says "stop bringing steel pipes to school!". gently caress you, mean girl.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 13:23 on May 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
"Your door was unlocked so we let ourselves in." :lol:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
GPS exists in Japan. They could have used that. I don't think anyone wants modern tech updates though. This is nostalgia cash-in.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Question about a spoiler my wife is trying to figure out: My wife remembers that the hat is Kyo's but it was Yuki that led her home as a kid. However she can't remember how Yuki knew where she lived and/or why he helped her get home. Anyone remember? Is it ever explained in the manga?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Manga spoilers ahoy.

I think Yuki saw her mom looking for her and giving a reporr to the police outside her home. Memory is hazy though.

Thank you!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Well that episode was a knife twister. Jesus.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Tir McDohl posted:

I wonder how well this is doing. In the corners of the internet I check (like this thread and twitter) there are very few people talking. I sure hope the "1st season" in the opening doesn't end up being hubris. This adaptation is so good.

AFAIK the whole thing has already been funded.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
My wife and I were 3 episodes behind so we caught up last night and WELP that whole grave scene got us both real hard. I'm not exactly sure why but every single time I saw Uo's coat that Tohru's mom gave her I just lost it. Many tissues were drenched.

I'm glad they changed the opening song because I really hated that faux R&B thing from before. The new ending credits background is awesome.

Also gently caress Ayame. He reminds me of every stupid annoying prankster rear end in a top hat I've ever known.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
The stuff with Uo and Kyoko is really awesome.

Who the hell are these 3 new rando girls trying to act tough?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Yawgmoft posted:

I don't know why they switched to a happy opening song now that every episode is depressing.

It's all bittersweet. The most recent episode especially. Uo and Kyoko are two of the greatest fictional characters ever and their interactions with everyone are just awesome to watch.

I want to be just like them IRL except I don't want to be dead or from a broken home with an alcoholic dad and a violent hosed up childhood. But maybe that's what it takes to be as amazing as they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Vinylshadow posted:

I forgot how horrific bullying was in Japan back in the day

21-22 were quite the gut-punch

Uhhh it's still really bad. Not that America is meaningfully better.