Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hey, I started watching this yesterday after being told it was super good several times and having it appear on my Tumblr feed frequently with several gifs that made me want to cry even without knowing their context.

Now I know the context and I can say the crying was very much deserved. This is a very good show and I want to hug everyone. Even if it means I'll end up with a boar in my hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

a kitten posted:

Yuki stop, she's already dead.

Prince Mode Yuki does not know the meaning of the word "stop". He's just a charm monster, unstoppable, who can only get his objectives without fail.

Except when the target's Momiji it seems.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This episode sure was an emotional rollercoaster, between the hilarious Soma antics and the...far less hilarious Soma non-antics. Which I guess is every episode but the series managed to perfectly hit, without even having to show any sort of violence, just how utterly terrifying Akito is and how hurt Yuki is.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Jesus gently caress that had me crying. It was too emotional. Admittedly, it may be because I'm in a bad moment and can sympathize more than I wish I did but all of this episode, both from Momiji and from Tohru, hit me really drat hard.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Seriously, series, stop calling out my trauma and making me relate to your characters' suffering. I can only cry so much.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Coxswain Balls posted:

Awww man I was hoping it'd be uninterrupted seasons.

We already knew they wouldn't be, I mean, the title straight up says "Season One". That has a meaning. Plus, it's better this way, this long of a series needs breaks to properly give animators time to do their job. Rushing that gives bad results.

Vahtooch posted:

For never having watched the original this was a really fun ride. Really high adorable highs and gut punching lows. Just seems really well written and a series of amazing character studies.

I agree! This series is super good, it's gotten me to cry and resonate with characters and that's one hell of a thing. Can't wait for S2.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Anora posted:

They wouldn't be rushing, the manga has been over for years at this point.

I don't think you fully understood my post. I meant that rushing the animation would hurt the final product. Animation takes time, and even great animators can give some really bad work if they don't have that time. It's better to have a break and allow animation to be completed with time to spare.

I hope said break isn't too long though. It says 2020 so it'll be at worst a year, not that big, but still.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

a kitten posted:

Finally finished this up, and well, i still sure like it a lot! My timing is pretty good because the new season starts on April 6, 2020 (tomorrow) although i'm not positive that's when it will be on crunchyroll.

Normally they're very quick on the subs so probably tomorow as well. Can't wait!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm glad that Yuki's main character beat at this point isn't his trauma, or his princeliness. No, it's his incredible ability to be a magnet for every weirdo around. Poor guy, but he seems happier now at least.

Also the new opening and ending are pretty lame, but at least the series is still good.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

macabresca posted:

I've only caught up to the series last week. It didn't resonate with me as strongly as with others but it's still an amazing series. Kyo and Akito confrontation from a few episodes ago was great, so tense and painful. It's a shame there's not much of a discussion here, especially this season.

Yeah, the thread kind of died. It's a shame, since the season has been pretty good so far. I'd say Yunyun's School Adventures was the only episode so far I found genuinely boring, since it had a heavy focus on a character I had no reason to care about and gave us no real new info on Yuki, other than that I've greatly enjoyed everything, though I haven't watched the latest ep yet.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Yuki's mum is terrible but I do love that she's so drat spineless, the only reason she could lord over Yuki was because Yuki was too terrified to talk back; Ayame had none of her poo poo and she had no way whatsoever to talk back to him.

Ayame's the best is what I'm trying to say.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/1308096462463606785

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

there wolf posted:

Dragging this up from the depths just to say thanks for convincing me to watch this. I read the manga back in college, but never got a chance to finish it or watch the first show. Watching this has been a fun for both nostalgia reasons and it's own merits as a show. Surprised to realize my Torhu/Kypo ship endures. He makes you soup when you're sick, Tohru! Pick the angry cat.

Tohru/Kyou is interesting to me because I absolutely did not like it at first, I was very much a Tohru/Yuki guy at first. But as the series goes on, Kyou becomes a significantly better person and has the most development of the cast, and then Yuki outright accepts that his feelings are not romantic in nature, ending the love triangle with a clear winner.

Well, clear as long as those two actually confess at some point. But I imagine it has to happen, it'd be weird if the series ends without that.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ep 2 is already out and holy poo poo. That Shigure is a bit hosed up is nothing new, that Shigure is this hosed up is...well, impressive, in a way. He's genuinely really messed up, in ways that are just incredibly uncomfortable to watch.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This series sure has a way of making it clear where someone is a piece of poo poo. Neither Akito nor Ren are good people and that's more than clear, but holy poo poo their treatment of Rin is somehow yet another new low. Haru's sheer anger was fully understandable and I wish he had actually just punched Akito there. Also Haru's angry face was amazing.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ibblebibble posted:

Well I'm sure that ending wasn't ominous at all!

I'm sure everything is fine and these poor teenagers with terrible trauma won't show even more terrible trauma as they remember terribly traumatic things that happened to them but they repressed.

Opening and ending updated which was actually rather unexpected. Opening now shows post-puberty Momiji and ending has the broken frame with Kyoko's picture. Considering it broke just before the ending even played, that was a fast change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SeanGaffney posted:

Agreed. That said, almost everyone was terrible in this. Ren, Akito, Ren, Shigure, Ren, the two housekeepers fighting over who can have the most subtle control of the family, and Ren.

I want to take almost all the families in this show, throw them in the garbage, and replace them with Hiro's mom.

On the other hand, holy poo poo, Hiro's mum is so good. She managed to perfectly understand what happened to Hiro despite Hiro only talking about his mixed feelings and having no way to know how it feels for a bond to break, since she's not cursed herself, and without second thought immediately took him in her arms and tried to calm him down. Until now she was always written as scatterbrained, but it's clear that she's perfectly in tune with her son and fully understands and cares about him. It's a great thing to see in a series where parents are...well, the Soma parents.