Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm interested; I have not played before but have actually been looking at the rules recently, as recently as yesterday in fact, as well as asking about it in the board game thread after it came up, because I would quite like to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
You'll just be running it, not participating, then? At least for the newbie one, I mean.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Straight White Shark posted:

I wasn't planning on it, at least for a newbie game. Which is fine by me, I just love the game and want to share it.

That's fair, I just was a bit surprised.

Also, dang, got last pick. Ah well, could still get lucky and my first choice, Shadows Flicker Like Flame, will still be there when it comes to me. (Rivers Surge in Sunlight was my second choice, actually, though Shadows was well ahead.)

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I suppose I'll take Lightning's Swift Strike and be purple, then.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ugh, colonists on my doorstep. I'll have to deal with that I suppose.

Before I make any decisions, though, how is Lightning's progression deck? Leaning against using it, and my first turn's growth won't get me a new power anyway, but I'm curious. (If I remember correctly it doesn't get the major power Talons of Lightning, which is weird because it seems like it was designed after Lightning's Swift Strike between the element and bird/talon imagery.)

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, I'll pass on that progression and stick with random draws. It looks like, after the first power, it has a decent middle (I looked it up and Purifying Flame would be legit good with those elements and has a useful effect besides), then gets boring/bad again.

As for my actions, hm. That town in my starting territory is annoying; I'm going to need to clear a town this turn and next if I don't want a city to get established and want to avoid blight, but it could be worse. Makes my plan for the next two turns fairly straightforward, too.

I just need to decide where I'm spreading presence. As I see it, I have two options:

1. Spread toward the others, possibly onto the jungle Strength of Vital Earth already has 1 presence on due to how much it borders giving me a lot of future targets, and if Earth upgrades it to a sacred site at some point it'll be defended as well.

2. Spread east to complete my coverage of my own board. Though, that jungle with the city is the ideal spot for that, but the city is also a potential threat to my presence if I put it there and the next card to come up is jungle. Also that spot adds almost no additional coverage, even if I'll probably need to be able to zap things over there sooner or later.

Anyone have any thoughts or advice? (And before anyone asks, I can't give anyone Boon of Lightning this turn, sorry. Need to smash that town. It'll be used next turn though.)

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, for my actions:

Growth option 2, taking both presence from my Energy track and placing both in jungle 8 of the lower-left board, the one with two Dahan and one yellow presence already there.

Playing Shatter Homesteads as my only card this turn, and though it's admittedly not necessary to state yet, I plan to use Swiftness of Lightning to make it Fast.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ah, right, I suppose there's no reason for me to not declare that for Shatter Homesteads (which, again, I made Fast with Swiftness of Lightning), I'm blowing up the town in my starting region. Was probably obvious admittedly, but it's worth stating anyway. That'll be all I'm able to do this turn, because I'm saving up for next turn anyway.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Retro Futurist posted:

Sorry I’m having an idiot moment; I’m not following the spirit track stuff and I don’t see it in the rules

When you use a Growth option that adds Presence, you remove it from your presence tracks, revealing more of them and possibly granting more Energy or cards played per turn or giving you other stuff, and add that Presence to the board within the indicated range of your existing presence.

So, as an example, you used the third option here:

That means you can take one of the Presence tokens off either the Energy/Turn or Card Plays track, and put it up to one space away from any of your existing Presence on the board. For Vital Strength of Earth, you have great Energy/Turn growth and terrible Card Plays growth, as well as some expensive powers to start with, so you might want to lean into that and remove more from the top track than the bottom, using one or two big powers per turn, fueled by the ridiculous amounts of Energy you can get per turn. But it's up to you.

As for where to put it, well. Next turn the Invaders will ravage the sand areas, so putting one presence in sand land 5 on your tile this turn and one next turn could be good, as one of your innate abilities defends against up to three points of damage in lands you have sacred sites (i.e. 2 or more Presence); essentially you'd nullify the damage that would be dealt next turn, preventing Blight. But you or other people might see a better place to put it.

Edit: Beaten to the explanation.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I will use Growth option 3, bringing me up to 5 Energy total and taking the Presence from my Card Plays track. Will decide where to place it after a bit of coordination with the others.

I will also play all three of my remaining powers this turn, for a total cost of 4 Energy, which also leaves me with enough elements to use Thundering Destruction at its first tier. Swiftness of Lightning will make that fast to blow up the town on my sacred site before the ravaging.

Now, I have a few things to consider/discuss.

First, Lightning's Boon; I can use this on someone else to let them use up to two Slow powers, cards or innate, as Fast powers instead.

Second, Bendigeidfran, I would greatly appreciate it if you targeted me with your Boon of Vigor; I'm using three cards this turn, so I'd get the greatest gain out of everyone here, plus my Energy gain is kind of poo poo so the aid would let me focus more on blowing poo poo up going forward.

Third, I need to consider where to use my other two powers and place my presence; Harbingers of the Lightning will let me move Dahan around and maybe cause some Fear, while Raging Storm can do one damage to each Invader in a province. These are both naturally Slow but can be made Fast if we'd prefer to, say, shuffle Dahan around or kill some Explorers before they start ravaging and building and whatnot. I'm inclined to kill a mountain explorer to prevent a build this turn, but other people might see a better use.

So, yeah. If anyone wants to cooperate on those lower things, just let me know. First two paragraphs are set; I can't let my sacred site get ravaged this early.

Edit: Possible plan, though people can propose alterations or other courses of action:

I or CirclMastr place presence in mountain 7 of CirclMastr's land and use Lightning's Boon on them, and as part of their turn one of the things they cast is Mantle of Dread on whoever put presence in the mountain as a Fast action through the aforementioned boon, so I can use that to push the town and explorer there elsewhere.

Meanwhile, Retro Futurist puts the Presence they place this turn in sand 5 like discussed last turn to defend it, and I'll use Harbingers of the Lightning (Fast) to move a Dahan there; they'll be defended, then can counterattack and destroy the town, for two more Fear from the destruction and the power together.

None of this is set yet, of course. Just a proposal/example.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 27, 2019

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

CirclMastr posted:

If you make Mantle of Dread fast, I would rather push the town from C6 onto, say, C3. That would let the Dahan kill the explorer on C6, keep the Dahan alive, and stop C6 from being Blighted.

Fair; if I used Lightning's Boon on you, you would still decide what powers to use it with and stuff. And yeah, pushing the town from C6 seems good; I was only looking at ways I could use it since I need to figure out where to place my presence, but you doing that would probably be a better idea.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh wow, Encompassing Ward is pretty much perfect for River Surges In Sunlight; exactly the elements it wants for its innate power, and its second option for placing presence lets it cover a ton of ground to protect, and of course it can use it on someone else if that'd be preferable. And it can spam it once it uncovers the Reclaim One space on its Card Plays track.

Edit: Though, Bendigeidfran, why are you reclaiming rather than using your third Growth option? Still gets a new card, and it lets you place presence; you have plenty of energy and two card plays, you don't need to reclaim yet.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 28, 2019

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ah, sorry. I'll put my presence in B7, and also, for Raging Storm, kill the explorer in D8 before it builds thanks to Swiftness of Lightning. (Unless people can think of a better spot to target; D5 could work too but I was thinking of blasting the town they build there next turn and letting the Dahan finish the explorer off, where clearing D5 now and hitting D8 next turn would leave its explorer alive.)

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Straight White Shark posted:

Roland Jones

I'm going to go out on a crazy limb and assume that you're reclaiming rather than trying to play with 0 cards.

You would be correct.

On that topic, I'll take Savage Mawbeasts of those powers (zero cost and fire element makes it good fuel for my innate, even if the effect isn't too amazing). End-of -semester stuff has been surprisingly overwhelming, so I haven't been as good at keeping up on this stuff recently, sorry.