Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

:hist101::hist101::hist101:

Friends, Romans, Goons. Lend me your ears.

...no not literally!

Where are we this time?

We're in the age of antiquity - the age of Alexander the Great, Caesar and all those guys. Starting off at 304 BCE, all the way up to the establishment of the Roman Empire. If you've studied your classical history you'll know this period of time was pretty busy, with the Romans establishing themselves, the Egyptians falling into decay and Macedonia almost establishing an empire of their own.

Zoomed out the map will consist of province areas secured by different civilizations. Zoomed in the map is even busier, with hundreds of provinces to manage and take over!

From the description:

quote:

Imperator: Rome is the newest grand strategy title from Paradox Development Studio. Set in the tumultuous centuries from Alexander’s Successor Empires in the East to the foundation of the Roman Empire, Imperator: Rome invites you to relive the pageantry and challenges of empire building in the classical era. Manage your population, keep an eye out for treachery, and keep faith with your gods.

Alright, i'm listening...

One thing going for this game is that rather than it being a completely new experience - ala Stellaris - Imperator Rome follows already tried and tested approaches from EUIV and Crusader Kings 2. Videos and articles suggest that this is the first game to attempt to blend these two games together, with you vying for territory across Europe, but also having to be aware of the character information of the advisers and leaders that you appoint. Everyone loved Crusader Kings 2 for the stories that could be created from your characters, and it looks like Imperator aims to supply that same experience. Taking over land could be either achieved via the brutal hand of conquest, or the subtle hand of diplomacy and integration.

On a scale of 1 to Paradox how buggy are the bugs?

To be adapted when we find out more information, but this being a Paradox game...expect some niggles and bugs at the start. Again, one thing going for it is that it's not a completely new idea from Paradox and does use originally established engines (Clauswitz). The only thing new is some sort of modding toolkit that will allow easier and faster modding...

On a scale of 1 to Paradox how many DLC's will Paradox?

I would guess many DLC's...they'll want to expand the game further into the future toward Gaul and the fall of the Roman Empire at some point.

Is this game good?

It's typical Paradox v1.0. It's certainly in a better state than HoI IV or Stellaris when they were first released, but it's definitely rough around the edges. Key issues are that the character system (the CK2 part) is a little bit tacked on at the moment and lacking in content or options. The game feels alot like EUIV in gameplay. It's a bit of a jack of all trades also, not really mastering any of the key areas that make its sister games good.

I can't read. Show me some pretty screenshots

I hate screenshots. Show me some videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTupZ55oOMc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1htgoyo2WM

Plenty others can be found on YouTube or Twitch.

Where can I buy this?

Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/859580/Imperator_Rome/
Gog: https://www.gog.com/game/imperator_rome_preorder

Can I be Biggus Dickus?

I would imagine so...

Release Date

Released on Thursday 25th April.

Communist Bear fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

This post to be adapted if any new information needs to be added.

Fancy playing army men with Goons? Think you're the next Augustus? Bigger balls than Titus Pullo? Then check out the multiplayer server going at PGS:

quote:

Cross posting from PGS https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...hreadid=3887386

Goon multiplayer game just after release.

Communist Bear fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 22, 2019

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

but the opposite

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Reposting this here because map games need maps.

Rynoto posted:

On the subject of ancient Rome a game map based around Ptolemy's rendition would be excellent.

It's honestly amazing how good it is considering the original was from c. 100ce

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Really hoping the general unplayability that came across during the streamer MP match last weekend is resolved by launch. I remember the last stream day being nothing but frustration for a lot of the people involved (at least, the streamers that I were watching). Desyncs every few minutes plagued the first like 2 hours of that stream.

Excited for this though, even though I never played EU:Rome. I can't help but seeing a ton of Victoria's DNA in this game too (something something "Vicky 3 when" meme), so I'm really interested to see if they get the core pop systems down well enough and if it's mechanically interesting to play, because I imagine they've been using Stellaris 2.0 and Imperator as a sort of testing grounds for how to handle certain aspects of V3.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Based off their recent history I'm betting the game isn't any good and will require at least 2 years and 3-4 major dlcs to be playable. But I'm a sucker and already preordered.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
I'm feeling cautiously optimistic about the game after seeing some streams. I might bite the bullet and pre-order.

I just want to play as Bactria. I always have, ever since Rome Total Realism introduced me to them, many years ago. Have any streamers played as them yet?

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I better add a "Where is my Victoria 3" part to the OP.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Friar John posted:

I'm feeling cautiously optimistic about the game after seeing some streams. I might bite the bullet and pre-order.

I just want to play as Bactria. I always have, ever since Rome Total Realism introduced me to them, many years ago. Have any streamers played as them yet?

One of the devs played Bactria in the dev clash.

On a different note, did RTR extend the map eastwards that far? I remember Europa Barbarorum did so, and that was the mod that introduced me to Bactria and a lot of stuff out there. For a mod it also had a pretty drat decent original soundtrack (though replacing the standard soundtrack, at least the Roman stuff, was kind of unfortunate as the vanilla RTW was excellent, as that was back in the day when Jeff van Dyck did the soundtrack for the Total War games, and all of his soundtracks were fantastic), a lot of effort went into making that mod.

cheesetriangles posted:

Based off their recent history I'm betting the game isn't any good and will require at least 2 years and 3-4 major dlcs to be playable. But I'm a sucker and already preordered.

I don't know. The foundation of internal management and character importance seems very solid, and the military side of things looks more interesting than EU4, and especially CK2 (and unlike CK2 it has naval combat, and control of the seas seems super important if you want to be a mediterranean power), with more differences between different cultures in terms of army composition and greater importance placed on leader martial skill and strategic movement and positioning being quite significant due to the greater number of choke points and such on the map. Then you also have Romans able to build military highways to speed up army movement within their territory, allowing them to concentrate force easier if managed well and stuff like that.

It's quite possible the game may feel a bit lacking in some areas on release, especially for certain regions/governments/cultures, but personally, as I said, the foundation of it all seems very solid.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

i'm here for the army automation. i mean i'd be here anyways because i'm a sucker but god drat i hope it works as well as i want it to.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Game's coming this week right?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Thursday morning-ish.

Orv fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Apr 22, 2019

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

Randarkman posted:

One of the devs played Bactria in the dev clash.

On a different note, did RTR extend the map eastwards that far? I remember Europa Barbarorum did so, and that was the mod that introduced me to Bactria and a lot of stuff out there. For a mod it also had a pretty drat decent original soundtrack (though replacing the standard soundtrack, at least the Roman stuff, was kind of unfortunate as the vanilla RTW was excellent, as that was back in the day when Jeff van Dyck did the soundtrack for the Total War games, and all of his soundtracks were fantastic), a lot of effort went into making that mod.
Yeah, I saw the dev clash, I was just wondering if any videos showcasing the Bactria start position particularly had come out.

And yeah, both RTR and EB included the edge of India. I spent so much time playing both of those mods, more time than vanilla that's for sure. I may have to get the vanilla RTW sound track and add it to Imperator though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Drone posted:

Really hoping the general unplayability that came across during the streamer MP match last weekend is resolved by launch. I remember the last stream day being nothing but frustration for a lot of the people involved (at least, the streamers that I were watching). Desyncs every few minutes plagued the first like 2 hours of that stream.

Excited for this though, even though I never played EU:Rome. I can't help but seeing a ton of Victoria's DNA in this game too (something something "Vicky 3 when" meme), so I'm really interested to see if they get the core pop systems down well enough and if it's mechanically interesting to play, because I imagine they've been using Stellaris 2.0 and Imperator as a sort of testing grounds for how to handle certain aspects of V3.

From all accounts this game is mostly EU, with a bit of CK and almost no Vicky. Any Vicky DNA you may see is almost purely superficial. The pop system is extremely basic and limited, the geopolitics are not nearly as deep, and there's no market system or any form of economy system beyond "provinces and trade routes give you money." The air should be cleared before anyone gets any further misconceptions. Do not get this game expecting anything Vicky-like at all.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 23, 2019

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

From all accounts this game is mostly EU, with a bit of CK and almost no Vicky. Any Vicky DNA you may see is almost purely superficial. The pop system is extremely basic and limited, the geopolitics are not nearly as deep, and there's no market system or any form of economy system beyond "provinces and trade routes give you money." The air should be clear before anyone gets any further misconceptions. Do not get this game expecting anything Vicky-like at all.

I'd argue that Victoria did not have especially deep geopolitics. You had spheres and alliances, and the later-added crisis system. But it wasn't like super deep, diplomacy is much better developed and more important in EU4 than it is in Victoria 2.

Trade routes and trade goods in Imperator mostly seem to exist to allow you to stack up modifiers on provinces, and to enable recruitment of restricted units. The money earned is important but is somewhat secondary to this mechanic. That's pretty different from EU4, where trade goods also bring benefit for the owner, but that effect isn't nearly as important and you can't really import trade goods to earn their benefits. I think many people are thinking this is a little too similar to EU4.

There's also a lot of people viewing both Victoria 1 and 2 with very rose-tinted glasses, and that's speaking as someone who played and loved both of them. If I were to guess I'd imagine that many of these are people who never actually played them that much (I'm not saying you are one of them, don't really know, but if I were to guess I'd say you'd played them), but know them mostly through discussions, let's plays/AARs and possibly having played some ~20 hours of Victoria 2 when Heart of Darkness came out, in any case they mostly like what they've heard/seen but would much rather play a Victoria 3 than go back to Victoria 2.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Apr 22, 2019

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
A note regarding multiplayer, the game will have segregated multiplayer across the different platforms, so a GoG user wouldn't be able to play with a Steam user. The currently planned MapGoon MP game will be using Steam.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I've been watching a lot of streams over the weekend tending towards the "min max the gently caress out of everything and try to break the game" line of thought and the general consensus seems to be that Imperator is already the best game Paradox have ever made due to the internal management actually being important and the way that tech, pops, AE and civil wars all work together to make expansion something you need to do carefully (or as one guy put it "it has the best internal management and the best external management of any Paradox game"). These are people with already 100+ hours in Imperator and who have 10s of thousands of hours of EU4 playtime. There's at least one serious AI bug which is kind of loving up the AI's ability to expand but Paradox's AI guy has already posted that they're working on it (basically the AI is way too willing to abandon sieges to go wipe small armies so it is really bad at winning wars). Looking at the game from the angle of just "is the AI actually challenging to beat" it's definitely pretty rough right now simply because of how quickly you can go from being a minor to a major power (for example you can annex the whole of Macedonia in two wars at which point you're basically a major power even if you started as a single city) and the AI simply doesn't grow very well at all, but that's the only part of the game which looks like it needs serious work.

Friar John posted:

Yeah, I saw the dev clash, I was just wondering if any videos showcasing the Bactria start position particularly had come out.

And yeah, both RTR and EB included the edge of India. I spent so much time playing both of those mods, more time than vanilla that's for sure. I may have to get the vanilla RTW sound track and add it to Imperator though.

I've definitely seen this, don't remember which stream it was on though. They start with a lot of tribal pops and very few same culture or religion pops, but they also have the interesting combination of getting Persian military traditions along with being Macedonian Hellenic. They have a solid amount of pops though they're still much smaller than the Seleucids.

One of the things which I feel hasn't really been shown in great detail before now (if you watch the right streams) is how much difference there is between controlling 'good' and 'bad' territory. Good territory having 0 tribesmen, being same culture and same religion (or if you're a tribal government, the tribesmen thing is reversed, so tribesmen are good and I think citizens are bad). All of these factors make cities unhappy, unhappy cities are less productive and make provinces disloyal, and disloyal provinces will revolt. Even if you can win a revolt, having one is horrible because you're basically killing your own pops with sieges. You also need to keep a lot of attention towards your research rate, taking more territory almost always makes your research worse but depending on the makeup of the territory you're conquering it might be more or less worse (e.g. Macedon conquering the rest of Greece will be fine, Rome conquering all of Gaul and Iberia not so much). All of these things can be solved through governor policies which are, in practical terms, one of your main and most powerful forms of internal management. Governors can get rid of tribesmen, give you more slaves and freemen (in some cases, it's complicated), and perform both religious and cultural conversions but these options are all mutually exclusive.

And all this poo poo together means that for the first loving time ever in history :siren: a Paradox game actually has an organic reason to not conquer everything you can loving see. :siren: Sometimes it's actually better to just sit back and convert poo poo and promote some citizens. This is especially true outside of the very small part of the map which is non tribal (basically only Greece, central Italy and some other bits of the Mediterranean coast). So you can look at the Seleucids for example starting with some rediculous amount of pops like 6k or something if you include their vassals but at least half of those are lovely wrong culture wrong religion tribesmen. These dudes do gently caress all for you! They might actually even have 0 happiness and do literally nothing. They're just pissed off and rebellious and they will make your provinces revolt if you don't do anything about it. And even without the rebellions, the Selucids are going to punch way under their weight economically and militarily, and have really, really bad tech due to having so few citizens. Tech is very strong in Imperator, having a good tech advantage can be huge. For example as soon as you hit mil tech 1 you can take an invention which gives a 10% heavy discipline bonus, and more generally speaking the best inventions are at least as strong as ideas from EU4, and impact every aspect of your country; making your monarch point expenditure more efficient, making your units stronger and siege faster, improving your economy, improving tech speed, making your diplomatic actions more effective, etc. Although it's not quite the level of having a large tactics difference in EU4, the fact that it's also so influential on your economic output makes tech as a whole (as opposed to just mil tech in EU) a really big deal, and at the moment if you focus it it's very possible to get ahead of time on tech. Uncontrolled blobbing makes your tech suck as soon as you leave the 'civilised' parts of the map and start running into angry pops which drag your research down and need to be managed.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

From all accounts this game is mostly EU, with a bit of CK and almost no Vicky. Any Vicky DNA you may see is almost purely superficial. The pop system is extremely basic and limited, the geopolitics are not nearly as deep, and there's no market system or any form of economy system beyond "provinces and trade routes give you money." The air should be clear before anyone gets any further misconceptions. Do not get this game expecting anything Vicky-like at all.

The way you have to manage pops reminds me a lot of Victoria in some ways though in practice it's very different. Instead of promoting clergy etc. you're removing tribesmen or forcing conversions, and there's no natural pop promotion or movement, but there's some definite similaries there. I'm looking forward to get stuck into it, it's definitely less complex than Victoria but it does seem to give you some meaningful internal management to do. Turning a tribal power into an effective, civilised state with good tech output is going to be drat difficult.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 22, 2019

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So. What's a good stream/early access LP for Imperator to watch? I've seen most of the dev clashes, but thinking about it I might like to see something a bit more focused that shows off the singleplayer aspect of the game. It might also have something to do with me taking a 6 hour train ride today. Would honestly prefer someone who plays Rome or another republic, feel that might have the most of the internal stuff.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Randarkman posted:

So. What's a good stream/early access LP for Imperator to watch? I've seen most of the dev clashes, but thinking about it I might like to see something a bit more focused that shows off the singleplayer aspect of the game. It might also have something to do with me taking a 6 hour train ride today. Would honestly prefer someone who plays Rome or another republic, feel that might have the most of the internal stuff.

At the moment i'm watching the Macedon stream on YouTube, which is pretty interesting. Not a long video, but it goes through the different features fairly well.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Randarkman posted:

I'd argue that Victoria did not have especially deep geopolitics. You had spheres and alliances, and the later-added crisis system. But it wasn't like super deep, diplomacy is much better developed and more important in EU4 than it is in Victoria 2.

Trade routes and trade goods in Imperator mostly seem to exist to allow you to stack up modifiers on provinces, and to enable recruitment of restricted units. The money earned is important but is somewhat secondary to this mechanic. That's pretty different from EU4, where trade goods also bring benefit for the owner, but that effect isn't nearly as important and you can't really import trade goods to earn their benefits. I think many people are thinking this is a little too similar to EU4.

There's also a lot of people viewing both Victoria 1 and 2 with very rose-tinted glasses, and that's speaking as someone who played and loved both of them. If I were to guess I'd imagine that many of these are people who never actually played them that much (I'm not saying you are one of them, don't really know, but if I were to guess I'd say you'd played them), but know them mostly through discussions, let's plays/AARs and possibly having played some ~20 hours of Victoria 2 when Heart of Darkness came out, in any case they mostly like what they've heard/seen but would much rather play a Victoria 3 than go back to Victoria 2.

Sure, about the geopolitics. Though HoD still had the deepest handling of that aspect out of any of the Paradox releases, I'd argue. My point was more that this ain't that. And indeed, Imperator's trade goods ain't EU, but they're definitely not Vicky either. That's the main point I wanted to get across.

The feeling I get is actually that Imperator will end up standing on its own much more than many people are thinking. Its closest relative is definitely EU, but it still has systems unique to it, and I think the distinction between Imperator and the rest of the paradox catalog will only grow as more DLC comes out.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

RabidWeasel posted:

And all this poo poo together means that for the first loving time ever in history :siren: a Paradox game actually has an organic reason to not conquer everything you can loving see. :siren:

I’m glad they finally managed this... but it’s pretty funny that they’ve pulled it together in the Rome game of all things. :laugh:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SnNHOHM-0Q

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I’m glad they finally managed this... but it’s pretty funny that they’ve pulled it together in the Rome game of all things. :laugh:

I mean it actually works in as much as, you can conquer the poo poo fine and it's not like you will immediately collapse with revolts but if you're not careful you will make yourself weaker and risk a bad civil war or revolt by overexpanding. If you want to be Ceaser and conquer all of Gaul in a decade you can do that.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

All of this sounds really interesting, thanks for the info. Neverending blobbing of miraculously stable empires always bothered me in Paradox games.

Edit: Imperator: Rome: anti-imperialist game. lmao

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Apr 22, 2019

Butch Banner
Dec 14, 2006
The pinnacle of masculitinity
Cross posting from PGS https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3887386

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Butch Banner posted:

Cross posting from PGS https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3887386

Have added to the second OP.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
Question to those knowledgeable about this game: Is this going to be like CK2 OR EU? I really enjoy ck2 and it's character driven gameplay while EU bores me to tears.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

Savy Saracen salad posted:

Question to those knowledgeable about this game: Is this going to be like CK2 OR EU? I really enjoy ck2 and it's character driven gameplay while EU bores me to tears.

It's closer to EU4 than CK2, there's still character management and dynastic stuff going on but you won't be shoving your chancellor into a manure pit or cucking your rivals.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
If you ever played EU:Rome , it's the same game, more of less
It's just a gigantic map now, with looks fantastic fun to play on.. so much randomness =)

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Didn't Paradox say they weren't going to expand the timeline with DLC?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Farecoal posted:

Yup.

Limited gameplay once you conquer the map, I guess.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Farecoal posted:

Do you actually believe that though?

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing
I really doubt they'll expand the timeline, it's really rare that players actually finish games in any of the current games they've released. I'd put some money on the first content expansion either being steppe nomads or a nation/culture specific event pack to flesh out areas of the world.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Did they explicitly say the timeline won’t move forward? I can only remember Johan saying the start date won’t be changed.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah my money is on a totally separate timeline within the same engine using mostly the same mechanics, kind of like Rome total war 2 and Attila.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
alexander wept as he really did think aggressive expansion was just a number.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ham posted:

A note regarding multiplayer, the game will have segregated multiplayer across the different platforms, so a GoG user wouldn't be able to play with a Steam user.

What the hell. Why???

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Chomp8645 posted:

What the hell. Why???

Don't all of Paradox's other games also rely exclusively on Steamworks for their multiplayer backbone?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Huh, I thought they were dropping steamworks for exactly that reason. Or did nothing ever come from all those Stellaris MP betas?

fake edit: oh, the non-steamworks version of Stellaris is still in beta so I guess they haven't finished that work yet. I imagine once it's done they'll start converting their other games over to it as time permits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jutsuka
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/gameimperator/status/1118884853917921280