Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

toasterwarrior posted:

I feel like I keep asking and searching for answers on how to build an effective fleet in this game, sheesh. I suppose stacking the heaviest class is probably the way to go, even up to now?

I have no idea but the heaviest ships have some pretty sweet siege support abilities. IIRC you can have 3 of the second-heaviest ship take some damage to force a breach, or 1 of the heaviest take some damage to straight up delete a level of fort. If it was a level 1 fort it's now gone and you'll take the province at the end of the following siege tick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I think light ships are generally best until you hit the width cap, then slowly replace them with heavies and keep lights to flank. Since there's no naval manpower there's much less of a drawback to having more fragile units.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Thanks for the advice; I've united Magna Graecia and will let Rome chill a bit after kicking their heads in, so I'll be going back to poo poo on Carthage on their home turf. Unfortunately, 300 ships are in the way so I'm totally at a loss on how to put a dent in that monster.

Weebus
Feb 26, 2017
You don't have to actually fight their navy, just build enough light ships to ferry your invasion force with like 10-20 extra to serve as a buffer, quickly occupy a port and keep your fleet stationed there. Even if their fleet catches yours, you can retreat after 5 days and you'll lose at most a few lovely liburnians. Some people like to build small fleets of light ships to scout and serve as a distraction but I've never had to do that myself.

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.
I'm easing my way into the game by playing as the Icenai, seeing if I can unite the British region through charm and diplomacy (and maybe a little murder) alone.

One thing I'm trying to work out: if two parents are from different clans, how does the game determine which clan their children belong to? Looking through the clans in my province, about half the kids seem to inherit the father's clan and the other half inherit the mother's clan. It seems too important a choice to be random. My untested assumption is that they become clan members of whichever parent has the highest prestige. Can't find an answer on the official wiki.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
New dev diary:
https://twitter.com/gameimperator/status/1254752422918004737

important note:

quote:

We’ll also be reducing the number of parties somewhat, for most countries. The 5 current factions aren’t very representative of ancient roman politics, and we feel that representing three main power blocs makes for a political landscape ripe for treachery and intrigue.
rip the eu:rome parties :helladid:

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Rip the populists.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Beamed posted:

It's so bizarre that you have to just actively steal people and their spouses and murder their spouse just to have marriagable folks in court. Why is there no local nobility you can ever hire?

I wonder why they even bother with having characters. I feel like they add nothing to the game besides headaches like this. You could just as easily get the same effect of loyal generals and provinces by just attaching those numbers to the provinces or armies themselves.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/imperator-rome-developer-diary-4th-of-may-2020.1388018/

A whole new POP type - Nobles. They live mostly in the capital, bring a lot of money and whine about everything.

Also instead of converting people, you integrate cultures so that they consider your empire to be cool. Or just keep them enslaved.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I hope they keep expanding on the pop system until they eventually just turn the game into Victoria: Rome

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Poor Sheepy :(
How is this game these days? I noticed I can get 25% off by buying the bundle on Steam since it's the only one in the bundle I don't have.

I know it was pretty rough at launch but it's been a year. Have they fixed it up enough to be worth it?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
It was the most polished Paradox release on day 1. Roughness comes from people desiring for more than a wargame. Probably. Hard to say, there's self-fulfilling prophecy with Paradox titles now that they can only be good after several years of expansions.

Devs certainly made it much more of a simulation. They also added flavor for all the countries as well as auto-generated missions.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Roughness comes from paradox games ultimately being pretty poor wargames from wargame players' perspectives.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
I liked how it was. Its getting too complicated for a casual player like me :/

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

How's the current state of the game? I'm considering picking it up on sale this weekend and heard it was rocky at launch but things have been steadily improving. For what it's worth, I played a decent amount of EU4 and fell into the CK2 abyss so I'm at least generally familiar with paradox grand strategy.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

It's pretty good. I'm getting back into it after six months or so. For what it's worth, I thought it was perfectly playable and fun at launch too, but most of the changes have been positive and have fleshed out the game. The last patch focused on religion, and the upcoming one will focus on culture, two of the biggest complaints people have had about lacking "flavor". Also, it's gonna play closer to EU4 with a smattering of CK2-lite characters. I liked this because i loved EU4 and didn't really care for CK2, but I think a lot of the bad reaction at release was people either thinking it would be closer to CK2 and being disappointed, or people venting general frustration with Paradox on their DLC policies, etc.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Azuren posted:

It's pretty good. I'm getting back into it after six months or so. For what it's worth, I thought it was perfectly playable and fun at launch too, but most of the changes have been positive and have fleshed out the game. The last patch focused on religion, and the upcoming one will focus on culture, two of the biggest complaints people have had about lacking "flavor". Also, it's gonna play closer to EU4 with a smattering of CK2-lite characters. I liked this because i loved EU4 and didn't really care for CK2, but I think a lot of the bad reaction at release was people either thinking it would be closer to CK2 and being disappointed, or people venting general frustration with Paradox on their DLC policies, etc.

Most of the bad reaction at release was because people didn't enjoy playing it. People have been frustrated with DLC policies for forever, nothing else got a reaction like Imperator did.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Is there a relatively recent LP of someone playing as Rome? I want to see someone good at this game paint the map so I can learn how to do it better.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

reignonyourparade posted:

Most of the bad reaction at release was because people didn't enjoy playing it. People have been frustrated with DLC policies for forever, nothing else got a reaction like Imperator did.

I dunno, I thought the reception that Imperator got upon release was insanely disproportionate to the game's flaws. Sure, there were reasonable criticisms to make (I'm still annoyed that some of the interface hassles hasn't been improved, looking at you taking 500 clicks per slave per province to shuffle them around), but I can't think of another parallel case in recent memory (and I've seen nerds bitching on the internet about video games for a long time :corsair:) of a pretty decent, playable game that was a good, if somewhat barebones foundation, from a company with a track record of developing and improving games for years that you'll play for a billion hours anyway, to just being completely savaged and review bombed into "mostly negative" on Steam and people blaming Johan personally for the game not being what they wanted. I remember being totally blown away last April when it came out for how much hate the game got, which was a lot more than "game's not quite what I wanted and I'm not having fun with it". That's just, like, my opinion though :v: I bought it at release for full price and I was happy with it, if it's on sale for half off I think that's a crazy deal. If you like Paradox games and classical antiquity, and want a map-painting empire builder rather than a super deep character-driven RPG, you'll probably have fun.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
I know many people were rightfully critical of this game because it launched while repeating way too many of the mistakes that EU: Rome made. It was inexplicable that they chose to incorporate so much on the original design, as if it had somehow been a good game.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Sio posted:

I know many people were rightfully critical of this game because it launched while repeating way too many of the mistakes that EU: Rome made. It was inexplicable that they chose to incorporate so much on the original design, as if it had somehow been a good game.

Fair point. I was never able to get into EU:Rome, and I played the crap out of EU2/3/4 and thought "Wow, EU but Rome sounds really fun!". I think I picked it up on Steam, played it briefly, tried to get Wiz's mod (Reign of the Ancients?) to work, got some janky crashes or incompatibility, and gave up and refunded it (think it was the first game on Steam I ever refunded, actually)

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Azuren posted:

I dunno, I thought the reception that Imperator got upon release was insanely disproportionate to the game's flaws. Sure, there were reasonable criticisms to make (I'm still annoyed that some of the interface hassles hasn't been improved, looking at you taking 500 clicks per slave per province to shuffle them around), but I can't think of another parallel case in recent memory (and I've seen nerds bitching on the internet about video games for a long time :corsair:) of a pretty decent, playable game that was a good, if somewhat barebones foundation, from a company with a track record of developing and improving games for years that you'll play for a billion hours anyway, to just being completely savaged and review bombed into "mostly negative" on Steam and people blaming Johan personally for the game not being what they wanted. I remember being totally blown away last April when it came out for how much hate the game got, which was a lot more than "game's not quite what I wanted and I'm not having fun with it". That's just, like, my opinion though :v: I bought it at release for full price and I was happy with it, if it's on sale for half off I think that's a crazy deal. If you like Paradox games and classical antiquity, and want a map-painting empire builder rather than a super deep character-driven RPG, you'll probably have fun.

Well, perhaps a significant number of other people did not find it to be a decent playable game that was a good if somewhat barebones foundation? The dropoff in player numbers certainly suggests that people just genuinely didn't enjoy playing the game.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

reignonyourparade posted:

Well, perhaps a significant number of other people did not find it to be a decent playable game that was a good if somewhat barebones foundation? The dropoff in player numbers certainly suggests that people just genuinely didn't enjoy playing the game.

I think it was more that people expected more from it, lots got caught up in the bad press souring their mood, and got very bored with it very quickly. It's otherwise a very enjoyable and inoffensively mediocre game.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I think it was more that people expected more from it, lots got caught up in the bad press souring their mood, and got very bored with it very quickly. It's otherwise a very enjoyable and inoffensively mediocre game.

I think that subscribes significantly more power to internet whining campaigns than they've ever actually demonstrated, to be perfectly honest.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Paradox's marketing leant way too hard on "this game has characters!" so I suspect that a significant proportion of purchasers were expecting something like CK2. If I was a CK2 fan expecting something similar from Imperator then the actual game would have been basically unplayable

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Azuren posted:

If you like Paradox games and classical antiquity, and want a map-painting empire builder rather than a super deep character-driven RPG, you'll probably have fun.

This is me but I just don't have fun. I've made a solid good faith attempt to get into it every few months since release, but it just never sticks. I dunno what it is.

fuf fucked around with this message at 11:25 on May 17, 2020

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

fuf posted:

This is me but I just don't have fun. I've make a solid good faith attempt to get into it every few months since release, but it just never sticks. I dunno what it is.

Aren't you paying attention? Apparently you are having fun but just believe you aren't because of the negative press.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
It wasn't badly made or a huge mess, it was just..boring. Which is generally the last thing you want. They had a grand vision for how the game should play that ultimately just wasn't fun, and boy was there a lot of salt from the devs when they had to deviate from what they thought was good gameplay.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

RabidWeasel posted:

Paradox's marketing leant way too hard on "this game has characters!" so I suspect that a significant proportion of purchasers were expecting something like CK2. If I was a CK2 fan expecting something similar from Imperator then the actual game would have been basically unplayable

You also had Johan openly telling people that if they didn't like Imperator on release, they probably wouldn't like Paradox games anymore either, and then doubling down on "our most polished and best release ever" when MP barely functioned (no chat, no save compression, diplo reset on launch, etc.). This weird revisionism by a couple posters that Imperator was this great, remarkable gem is funny, but dumb.

Zeron posted:

It wasn't badly made or a huge mess, it was just..boring. Which is generally the last thing you want.

Yeah, the core gameplay loop was fundamentally just boring too.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Beamed posted:

You also had Johan openly telling people that if they didn't like Imperator on release, they probably wouldn't like Paradox games anymore either, and then doubling down on "our most polished and best release ever" when MP barely functioned

This is giving me terrible Battlefield V flashbacks :(

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Yeah got it on sale and... disappointed. Worse my Rome save got bugged and always freezes on a specific date and cant get past it, although might work to load a earlier save a few years back... If it doesnt though it will be hard to convince myself to get back to the game.. Kinda bummed about the game so i went back to Imperium Universalis (EU4 mod) to scratch my antiquity itch.

Shame, probably the prettiest paradox game so far, map and UI.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 20, 2020

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I'd definitely say the map has been great since day 1, the non-passable mountains really make the game feel much more tactical.

It's funny that Johan saw them doing it for CK2 and took it to make Imperator with, because the CK2 map looks to make way less use of that.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Fellblade posted:

I'd definitely say the map has been great since day 1, the non-passable mountains really make the game feel much more tactical.

It's funny that Johan saw them doing it for CK2 and took it to make Imperator with, because the CK2 map looks to make way less use of that.

Really makes you understand why a lot of empires had problems penetrating past the coastline.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
https://twitter.com/gameimperator/status/1264914699071741955
RIP Populists...... long live the Populares

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
What bonii do you get from the boni. :v:

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
These changes sound really good. *resets clock to waiting to play Paradox game until new DLC is released*.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I have been meaning to check this game out again but there seem to be improvements coming in the near future forever.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That’s all paradox games. Which is their strongest feature.

The latest expansion seems to have turned public opinion even if the bitterness of this thread still lurks a bit

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Let me tell you about a horrible rear end in a top hat called Publius Cornelius Sophus, a man so bad that to counter his influence, a war was prolonged for three years and thousands of innocents were enslaved or killed.

Publius is the head of the Cornelii. He is seventy-eight years old, jealous, crafty, wracked with gout and until last month was consumed by the need to befriend a woman 55 years younger than him.

When he was 20 I put him in charge of Magna Graecia due to his high finesse and it not at the time being obvious that he was a colossal prick. I must have missed that he had somehow already secured the loyalty of an entire goddamned legion.

For fifty years, Publius managed Magna Graecia; scheming, plotting and, as I kept on blithely conquering the south of Italy, quietly becoming the wealthiest and most powerful man in Italy. Then his dad died, and he was suddenly head of the family.

At which point his loyalty plunged down to zero and he started plotting a civil war, prompting me to check his personal power ranking and promptly do a double take. The guy had, on his own, somehow acquired 30% of all power in the Republic, just over the threshold for civil war. Worse, he was arrogant, incorruptible, and so astonishingly disloyal that there was no way to bribe him into acquiescence so I could get him out of the governorship and fend off the civil war.

Although the last bits of Magna Graecia had already been conquered, I hadn’t signed the peace treaty yet. Since he was in his 70s I figured he couldn’t have that long left, so the next few years saw me frantically invading bits of Illyria to keep his relative power down while I waited for Publius to go off to the great senate in the sky. After all, he only had a health of 17%. How long could it take?

So I waited.

And waited.

Turns out, he had the constitution of an ox (maybe he recovered from the gout?) It ended up taking the better part of a decade to get rid of the tough old bastard, and by the end of it I was so sick of it that when Carthage immediately declared war and invaded, I just let them have Sardinia and ragequit. I guess Publius won in the end after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

is your print screen button broken?