Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

AnoHito posted:

Rock-a-bye Roma, on your hilltop
When the die's cast, your cradle will rock

When the truce breaks, your cradle will fall
And there's smothered Roma, cradle and all!

You Syracusans, you make a desert and call it peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Same, no idea if you can fix it apart from getting the Merc stack mulched.

Nope you just have to suicide them somewhere, it sucks (this bug has been reported a ton so it'll hopefully be fixed pretty quick)

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Sounds like it's finally time to play this game again! Last I played was, I think, 1.2 and it seems we have an almost new game now. What's some newbie tips that I should I keep in mind for playing in the current version compared to how it used to be?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

fuf posted:

why does the game default to putting archers in the front rank and infantry behind? that doesn't match my image of what a battle should look like but maybe they're supposed to do a bit of damage and then flee?

If you put your infantry in front of your archers in a Total War game for example, the enemy's archers will advance until your infantry is just in range, and then simply shoot them without having to fear counter fire from your own archers (provided they both have the same range). That's why modern Total War games also default to putting your archers in front of your infantry.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

TorakFade posted:

Sounds like it's finally time to play this game again! Last I played was, I think, 1.2 and it seems we have an almost new game now. What's some newbie tips that I should I keep in mind for playing in the current version compared to how it used to be?

First off I'd recommend you to wait for a patch for this patch. They've changed some essential things like the whole freaking UI and it's rough around the edges.

After that realize that this game has a very defined starting position. As in it's not like CK3 or EU4 where nations decide on their rivals on day 1 and the game can go wildly different. The center of the map - Greece and Anatolia and Egypt - are controlled by Diadochi and those guys have a lot of client states and they start a huge war almost immediately. So I'd recommend steering away from it in the beginning. Rome is an obvious choice cause it's railroaded into a world dominance but it would probably feel too restrictive. I heard people recommending Emporium or Massalia - those are Greek colonies in Ibera and South France. They're surrounded by barbarians and are far away from great powers so there's little pressure.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

White Coke posted:

Did you pause the game and click the achievements button? For some reason I have to do that to make achievements trigger.

I did not. I'll see if that works.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

ilitarist posted:

First off I'd recommend you to wait for a patch for this patch. They've changed some essential things like the whole freaking UI and it's rough around the edges.

After that realize that this game has a very defined starting position. As in it's not like CK3 or EU4 where nations decide on their rivals on day 1 and the game can go wildly different. The center of the map - Greece and Anatolia and Egypt - are controlled by Diadochi and those guys have a lot of client states and they start a huge war almost immediately. So I'd recommend steering away from it in the beginning. Rome is an obvious choice cause it's railroaded into a world dominance but it would probably feel too restrictive. I heard people recommending Emporium or Massalia - those are Greek colonies in Ibera and South France. They're surrounded by barbarians and are far away from great powers so there's little pressure.

I usually recommend the Bosporan Kingdom as a starter nation since it's got room to grow but you do get to interact with the interesting stuff happening between the Diadochi eventually, you're also a good distance away from Rome. It's the only non-tribal state I can think of which isn't completely blocked in by the Diadochi, Maurya or Rome one way or the other.

Syracuse and Epirus used to be fairly easy choices but they have to fight Rome much earlier now, and though Epirus can now also get an early jump on Macedonia more reliably, that's not exactly a beginner friendly strategy. The Greek city states in Gaul and Iberia are also tougher now since they usually get squashed between Rome and Carthage pretty quickly. And the small starts in Greece proper are all harder since you can no longer just make a bigger army than your neighbours and roll them, you have to save up and use expensive mercenaries.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Feb 25, 2021

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I wanted to recommend Bosporus too and I've played it in earlier versions of the game. Back then there was a fun interaction between the land forcing you to go horse archers and your Greek military traditions being all about infantry. But nowadays I see them get quickly destroyed by AI and I suspect they have a hard time surviving.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
These posts about recommended nations are helpful, thank you.

I am planning a game at the weekend with two friends, and none of us really know how the game works yet. We'll probably restart a few times but any thoughts about a fun combination of nations to play?

(we always play cooperatively)

(one of us really wants to play Athens...)

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Naturally the other one has to pay Sparta!

Seriously though Greece is a clusterheck. I think this is a problem for new players of I:R. All the factions most people would know about are either tutorial easy mode (Rome), huge unwieldy empires with a lot of events and problems you don't notice till it's too late (Diadochi) or might get instantly destroyed by great powers spitting on them (most of Greece and Italy).

Here's an idea: be allied tribes somewhere in Europe. Like Gaul and Germanic tribes helping each other to expand into respective cultures. You'll miss on internal politics and technological development, but you'll have a manageable start with starting small.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Menapia is a great starting tribe. Starting objective: form Belgia.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
The vendians right in the northeast actually have a really easy start. They have a secret trick to them: colonize over the line into germania and due to the way levies work, yours double instantly.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

fuf posted:

These posts about recommended nations are helpful, thank you.

I am planning a game at the weekend with two friends, and none of us really know how the game works yet. We'll probably restart a few times but any thoughts about a fun combination of nations to play?

(we always play cooperatively)

(one of us really wants to play Athens...)

Just a heads up MP is apparently really flaky right now with bad desyncs and no rehosting?

If it's just the three of you you might manage alright.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

If one of you really wants to play Athens then something like Epirus + Athens + Bosporan Kingdom might work. You're close enough together to help each other but with room for everyone to grow, Epirus can have Italy and Illyria, Athens gets Greece and Bosporan gets the north. Only issue is that you'll have to do some ferrying around of troops with boats in the early game before you share proper borders.

There is the added issue of Athens starting as a vassal but I think there's some way to break vassalage easily for them?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/Arheo_/status/1364987442101641221/photo/1

Double posting because this is a pretty nice improvement, I'm not sure why they bothered to make the current trade UI if they were immediately going to iterate on it with a better version but I'm glad that they're not pretending that the UI is perfect now.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Mantis42 posted:

You Syracusans, you make a desert and call it peace.

A desert is to good for a Roman :colbert:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

White Coke posted:

Did you pause the game and click the achievements button? For some reason I have to do that to make achievements trigger.

So yeah that worked lol

Thanks!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Well I finally picked up this game now that it appears to be decent. Thanks for the starter nation suggestions on this page!

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Deltasquid posted:

So yeah that worked lol

Thanks!

You're welcome. I wondered if I was the only person who had that problem.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Torrannor posted:

If you put your infantry in front of your archers in a Total War game for example, the enemy's archers will advance until your infantry is just in range, and then simply shoot them without having to fear counter fire from your own archers (provided they both have the same range). That's why modern Total War games also default to putting your archers in front of your infantry.

Well, there's also the fact that there's very little evidence that archers in historical warfare really attacked indirectly in the style most often depicted in movies and video games, in fact most evidence in the form of illustrations and descriptions (also modern tests and recreation of weapons, armor and equipment) indicate that they almost always shot level.

Which is why when you see bowmen in historical battles they are typically in the first rank of a battle line in skirmish order or on the flanks of a formation, also in many cases they'd be paired up with a shieldbearing soldier, such as with the Persians or crossbow-armed infantry during the Crusades.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 25, 2021

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Egypt now uses the Greek military traditions but gets access to the Levantine Kingdom tradition too thanks to their heritage. Do any other countries get access to bonus traditions?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

RabidWeasel posted:

https://twitter.com/Arheo_/status/1364987442101641221/photo/1

Double posting because this is a pretty nice improvement, I'm not sure why they bothered to make the current trade UI if they were immediately going to iterate on it with a better version but I'm glad that they're not pretending that the UI is perfect now.

isn't that how iteration works?

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

White Coke posted:

Egypt now uses the Greek military traditions but gets access to the Levantine Kingdom tradition too thanks to their heritage. Do any other countries get access to bonus traditions?

Rome can chain together multiple traditions, the first of which being gaul trad and greek.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Rome can chain together multiple traditions, the first of which being gaul trad and greek.

All of the traditions can unlock two others. Do they unlock them with missions or decisions instead?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Carthage can also unlock levantine traditions without doing anything special

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Is there any way to see how many levies another country can raise? Or do I just have to guess based on their population?

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

White Coke posted:

All of the traditions can unlock two others. Do they unlock them with missions or decisions instead?

I seem to recall that one or both of their unlockable chains unlock more? I could be mistaken about that

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

yikes! posted:

isn't that how iteration works?

Well yeah but the issues with the current trade UI are extremely obvious and weren't present in the previous one so it seems strange that this middle step even existed

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

So they're going to highlight those trade goods that people would actually allow you to import? As in you don't have to click every trade good to see that everyone hates you and won't let you import it? Noice.

Now I want tooltip lock to actually lock tooltips. And clickable elements in the tooltips to reliably work.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

RabidWeasel posted:

Well yeah but the issues with the current trade UI are extremely obvious and weren't present in the previous one so it seems strange that this middle step even existed

I think the bit probably missing from this thought process is that there could have been like 50 other steps you aren't seeing with different or worse issues.

It's really easy to see a single isolated version and pick faults that it doesn't do X without knowing that the version solves problems A, B, C, D, E, etc.

There's also scheduling involved, maybe somebody had 2 hours available to work on this menu, or maybe it changed at the last minute to fix something way worse. I doubt the trade menu was a high priority menu in this rework, doubly so since they added the functionality to automate it.

Everything could always be better, but at some point you've just got to ship it and fix the issues next time around otherwise you'd never get anything done.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Fister Roboto posted:

Is there any way to see how many levies another country can raise? Or do I just have to guess based on their population?
Unlock espionage in oratory inventions and send some character as agent into target country, that shows it.

Romans, you fight like babies! Oh..

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 26, 2021

Canasta_Nasty
Aug 23, 2005

Pyromancer posted:

Romans, you fight like babies! Oh..

I'd like to see the debates from that election.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Canasta_Nasty posted:

I'd like to see the debates from that election.

Pee pee Doo doo He is a bad dictator.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Should I be constantly maxing out Nobles and Citizens in my cities for research? Or do they become less important once I reach the 125% efficiency cap?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Yes, they become less important. They still give you benefits like more trade routes, but you want freemen to fight your wars.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Nobles and citizens are also levy units, you only need freemen if you're hurting for manpower.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
How does manpower work now? Do levies use it, or just legions?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Levies replenish using manpower for sure, but I don’t think you need manpower to raise levies

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Deltasquid posted:

Levies replenish using manpower for sure, but I don’t think you need manpower to raise levies

Exactly this, manpower is identical to before except that levies don't use it up when they're raised. So in theory if you can stop your levies from reinforcing and you don't need the units in the field long term it's more efficient in terms of manpower, since the base strength of each levied unit is essentially free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
So can someone explain to me very basically how to keep senate approval up? I'm trying to get a Carthage game off the ground and I literally haven't done anything at all for the first decade because it stays at 45%-50% no matter what I do.

Also is there any benefit at all to playing a republic and being forced into a total doormat role like this?