Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Bactria gets access to the Persian traditions in addition to having the Greek ones, but I don't know if they'll keep access to the Greek ones if they change their culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Jabarto posted:

So can someone explain to me very basically how to keep senate approval up? I'm trying to get a Carthage game off the ground and I literally haven't done anything at all for the first decade because it stays at 45%-50% no matter what I do.

Also is there any benefit at all to playing a republic and being forced into a total doormat role like this?

Having a popular ruler and fulfilling party agendas will increase senate approval.

That said, tyranny isn't a bad thing. Yeah it can make some things harder, but so long as you don't have like 30 of it it's fine, and can even be good as tyranny reduces your aggressive expansion

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Are my province capitols supposed to be moving around every time I take new territory? Because it's pretty annoying.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Fister Roboto posted:

Are my province capitols supposed to be moving around every time I take new territory? Because it's pretty annoying.

It's a bug, it's not supposed to happen but it's entirely consistent - it always moves the capitals to the largest territory in the province.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Largest as in population? If that's the case then there's at least a workaround.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah it always moves to the territory with the most pops, so you just make sure you move a bunch of slaves into any territory you want to make into a provincial capital.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Agean90 posted:

Having a popular ruler and fulfilling party agendas will increase senate approval.

That said, tyranny isn't a bad thing. Yeah it can make some things harder, but so long as you don't have like 30 of it it's fine, and can even be good as tyranny reduces your aggressive expansion

I actually had a successful game stall out and end because I was caught in an endless loop of tyranny leading to low loyalty leading to low approval leading to more tyranny. I spent decades trying to break out of it and never could.

I just don't understand what you're actually supposed to do with the senate in this game. There's no way to play factions against each other, no way to negotiate with them, no way to appease them all, no way to undercut their power base. You just wait for them to give you their list of demands every 2 years and either cave or invite a civil war. I guess I could keep the party endorsements going all the time, always, but I just don't have the influence for it and at a certain point I have to wonder what the point of even dealing with this poo poo is.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
The Senate's purpose is to drive you to installing a dictatorship

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Gave a game as Parnia->Parthia a shot. An event fires shortly after you've unified the steppe that lets you declare war on the Seleucids and gives them a massive stability penalty. I figure what the hell and click it, and it also unites Parthia for me, which is cool.

However, the levy system means this is a terrible idea. You can win all the battles in the world, but Bactria+Seleucids just freely occupy your provinces, and that war has a unique cb where they permanently seize your land for the Seleucids on occupation :psyduck:

Guess this 1.0 release is still a typical Paradox 1.0 release.
e: forts don't push ZoC across borders, so they can just never occupy your forts and occupy the rest of the country with their million-micro stacks, while you lack a "split army" button. Jesus

Beamed fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 1, 2021

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Beamed posted:

Gave a game as Parnia->Parthia a shot. An event fires shortly after you've unified the steppe that lets you declare war on the Seleucids and gives them a massive stability penalty. I figure what the hell and click it, and it also unites Parthia for me, which is cool.

However, the levy system means this is a terrible idea. You can win all the battles in the world, but Bactria+Seleucids just freely occupy your provinces, and that war has a unique cb where they permanently seize your land for the Seleucids on occupation :psyduck:

Guess this 1.0 release is still a typical Paradox 1.0 release.
e: forts don't push ZoC across borders, so they can just never occupy your forts and occupy the rest of the country with their million-micro stacks, while you lack a "split army" button. Jesus

You should be able to split your levies. They stay separate but they are commanded by the same person, whoever the governor is of the territory they were raised from.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

You sure? I consistently see this with my levies in the most recent patch:

e: oh. the button is clickable, just greyed out. Well, at least it's just a UX issue. Now time to salvage this war! Thanks for the heads up

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Beamed posted:

You sure? I consistently see this with my levies in the most recent patch:

e: oh. the button is clickable, just greyed out. Well, at least it's just a UX issue. Now time to salvage this war! Thanks for the heads up

We regret to inform you that it's presence the blue outline on the buttons which indicates clickability, and the split buttons do in fact have that outline.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

We regret to inform you that it's presence the blue outline on the buttons which indicates clickability, and the split buttons do in fact have that outline.

On that very screen, it uses red filling to indicate click ability! Surely the same screen wouldn’t use two completely different methods?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Beamed posted:

On that very screen, it uses red filling to indicate click ability! Surely the same screen wouldn’t use two completely different methods?

We regret

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

In any case, while the UX is still apparently frustrating, even I am... begrudgingly, not hating this patch.

Characters are still pointless entirely though

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Beamed posted:

Characters are still pointless entirely though

You know, the more I think about it, the more I believe Medieval: Total War's character mechanics should be the golden standard for grand strategy games. Characters were used in simple, straightforward ways, but who could still amass their own little list of unique (and often hilarious) personality traits. If someone was disloyal it was easy to tell and there were a lot of ways to deal with it; keep them close, offer them a title or royal marriage, assassinate/frame them for treason, or send the inquisition after them. Most importantly, the game never forgot that you were playing a country and understood that no one gives a poo poo if the 4th son of House Gisgo got the gout or whatever.

I feel like Imperator would have worked a lot better if it had gone that route OR decided to be completely character centric and streamlined the empire/economic management. Right now it's worst of both worlds.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Best part about the general traits in Medieval II was that they affected the pre-battle speeches. A character is an alcoholic? His warm up speech is a confused drunken ramble. Lunatic? He's warning the boys about the pink elephants in the Scottish army. Such a great little touch.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Not medieval 2 and not battle speeches, but one of the best things in any of those games was much of Sweden's diplomacy dialogue in Empire and Napoloen Total War being ABBA lines.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Is there an easy way to boost ruler popularity that isn't just hoping for good events? I'm playing a settled tribe trying to reform into a monarchy and the final mission to do so requires me to hit 80 popularity. I had 78 when I got the mission, but it's now decayed into the 60s. I have the Absolute Authority tribal law and am holding games but it's still decaying.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 1, 2021

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Playing an Antipatrid Macedon game. Cassander and his oldest son both died like they're supposed to thanks to the events, but instead of getting a civil war between the two surviving sons one fled abroad. I managed to befriend him and bring him back to Macedon, but even though he's come back my heir is some random person in my government instead of the king's brother (neither has any sons yet). I'm still on agnatic primogeniture, so how do I make my brother my heir (other than adopting him, which I can do)?

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

The Senate's purpose is to drive you to installing a dictatorship

No contemporary politics chat please.

Wafflecopper posted:

Is there an easy way to boost ruler popularity that isn't just hoping for good events? I'm playing a settled tribe trying to reform into a monarchy and the final mission to do so requires me to hit 80 popularity. I had 78 when I got the mission, but it's now decayed into the 60s. I have the Absolute Authority tribal law and am holding games but it's still decaying.

Sacking cities.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Jabarto posted:

So can someone explain to me very basically how to keep senate approval up? I'm trying to get a Carthage game off the ground and I literally haven't done anything at all for the first decade because it stays at 45%-50% no matter what I do.

Also is there any benefit at all to playing a republic and being forced into a total doormat role like this?

Suck up hard to the traditionalists, then find some family head to be a whipping boy and revoke all their holdings. This should put Democrats to a consistent and sustainable 100 approval at the cost of the oligarchs being at 0 and a single pissed off noble that you can laugh at. I was able to consistently keep the Carthaginian senate at ~60% approval this way.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Jabarto posted:

You know, the more I think about it, the more I believe Medieval: Total War's character mechanics should be the golden standard for grand strategy games. Characters were used in simple, straightforward ways, but who could still amass their own little list of unique (and often hilarious) personality traits. If someone was disloyal it was easy to tell and there were a lot of ways to deal with it; keep them close, offer them a title or royal marriage, assassinate/frame them for treason, or send the inquisition after them. Most importantly, the game never forgot that you were playing a country and understood that no one gives a poo poo if the 4th son of House Gisgo got the gout or whatever.

I feel like Imperator would have worked a lot better if it had gone that route OR decided to be completely character centric and streamlined the empire/economic management. Right now it's worst of both worlds.

Yes. I wish we only had important characters instead of this horde of inconsequential nobodies. Like when I need a general let the families conjure some options and I decide based on their traits and allegiances. I understand there's some beauty in how complex may a specific character path be, but the game doesn't track character history and I'm sure not going to do it myself. Most of interesting character stuff (hecs a great commander or governor but can I keep him loyal... Really, are there any other interesting character moments apart from your ruler whims?) doesn't require such detailed character system. And if it's going to be detailed then it's not detailed enough, family branches still die out because there aren't enough women in the country.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Mar 1, 2021

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
What are your thoughts on Integration v Assimilation? I'm playing as Rome and so far I've taken over all of the boot, Cisalpine Gaul, and am working on Greece. When I started, I was integrating any large culture, and especially anything that shared an Italic culture group with Roman. I'm reading that wasn't the best idea? So I've unintegrated everything except Roman and and Leptonic (for levies if I push into Rhaetia and Gaul). I've just taken a chunk of Greece and Macedonia, so Macedonian is my second most populous culture (642 to 2469 Roman), and Leptonic is third at 587. I'm thinking I should integrate the Macedonian culture so I have levies in that part of the world? Or should I let it all slowly assimilate into Roman if I don't really plan on engaging Thrace?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
Assimilating makes you more stable in the long run, but integrating gives you benefit in short term. Early on it's better to integrate any culture of decent size (maybe from 200 pops) and snowball. For assimilation to happen at decent speed you need to invent and build theaters anyway, and convert the religion to yours, so once you have that unintegrate cultures.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

You absolutely have to integrate even fairly small cultures early on, not just for getting more troops and to increase your income but to keep your new territory from being rebellious.

At least for monarchies I have settled pretty hard on a regular strat of immediately pushing down the religious invention tree to proscribed canon for the conversion related bonuses but after that I'm still not sure if it's better to keep going until you hit Formulaic Worship (which is essentially 5 more inventions in exchange for a few more random bonuses plus another massive global buff to religious conversion). Obviously if you're playing in Greece or Rome then you don't need to be able to quickly mass convert but there are parts of the map where most of the territory you conquer will be of the wrong religion, and there's no equivalent to aggressively integrating cultures when it comes to religions.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 1, 2021

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
I was under the impression that integrating cultures makes them assimilate faster.. Is that the case?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The complete opposite; it stops assimilation dead. Integration means they're accepted and therefore have no reason to assimilate.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Recommend folks wait for the next patch to tidy up some stuff. This is really close to a 1.0 Paradox release (unlike at launch, where it was HoI3), and you know what to expect from that.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Decided to try out Parnia/Parthia after getting bored of steamrolling everything with Rome. I have two questions though.

1. How do I switch my religion to Zoroastrianism? Its the clear majority in my country now that I've actually formed Parthia but I can't figure out what button to press to switch off of Heptadic and too another religion. There is a decision to adopt Hellenism but that would be even worse since nobody follows that poo poo.

2. How do I found a city outside of events? I have to do one for a mission tree and I don't really understand what I'm supposed to do to actually make that happen.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

AnEdgelord posted:

2. How do I found a city outside of events? I have to do one for a mission tree and I don't really understand what I'm supposed to do to actually make that happen.

Click on that piece of artwork. It's a button. No I'm not sure how you're supposed to figure that out either, took me ages.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

AnEdgelord posted:

1. How do I switch my religion to Zoroastrianism? Its the clear majority in my country now that I've actually formed Parthia but I can't figure out what button to press to switch off of Heptadic and too another religion. There is a decision to adopt Hellenism but that would be even worse since nobody follows that poo poo.

Check the requirements here. It's a decision, so it's not on the Religion tab but the Nation one. The one that's a banner and is at the top left, just below the macrobuilder.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Thanks, i would have never thought that was a button. Also it looks like I need a zoroastrian in my court to convert so ill have to figure out how to get one.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I like the game so far, picked it up after the most recent patch but there are some pretty bad UI decisions still, I can't imagine how bad it was before this update. There are overview tabs that give you a snapshot of your nation but it's still not very clear who your allies are and if you have control over them, I'm still playing as Rome through the tutorial so maybe it'll start to make more sense.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Before this update the UI was functional and didn't have any serious problems. It was bland and looked boring. But apart from those indistinguishable god icons on top there weren't any serious problems. To me it felt like the most polished Paradox releade.

This new UI has more functionality like rich tooltips with clickable links, but it's broken in many ways and has a lot of very unintuitive things. Like before the hotfix territories didn't show civilization level. It still full of obvious bugs.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Beamed posted:

Recommend folks wait for the next patch to tidy up some stuff. This is really close to a 1.0 Paradox release (unlike at launch, where it was HoI3), and you know what to expect from that.

It's not that bad unless you run into one of the civil war bugs that makes parts of your country randomly become part of someone else's revolt or you get white peaced out of a war for no reason, somehow I've only seen one of these once and it was relatively benign

Though there is a potentially larger issue that the AI seems to loving hate forts so you can win wars against major AIs by just declaring on them when they're fighting somewhere else, moving in and occupying half a dozen fortless provinces, and peacing out before their armies show up

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
Anyone else have severe de-sync issues in MP with the latest patch? Reached about year 530 and can't continue without de-syncing every minute.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

The MP has been totally hosed since they changed servers a while back, as far as I understand it

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
they should make it so that non-integrated pops assimilate into the nearest culture of the same culture group that is integrated

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
We've been trying MP since launch and the desyncs have always been there sadly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Every game we're told that this is when Paradox is really serious about making multiplayer work right. And then every game we end up in this situation where the stars have to align if you want it to function over the internet without some major headaches.