Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Just looking through some of the options I didn't take and noticed I missed the Militant Epicureanism invention which would be really strong for a WC. You get -90% omen power but restore 10 stability every time you burn a holy site. The omen power penalty is nasty but stability on demand would enable chain trucebreaking. This would mean not having to use Imperial Challenge and having to capture territories individually, and would make eating big powers much faster and much, much less annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Wafflecopper posted:

Oh and speaking of the Diadochi tree, don't finish the Basilike Eirene mission, it's an absolute trap.

All this stuff is good to know, that modifier at the end of the tree looked incredibly tempting but it sounds like it's not worth the cost at all. Plus I know that it's much better to abuse it by just starting the mission over and over again, but that might be a little too cheap.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

trapped mouse posted:

All this stuff is good to know, that modifier at the end of the tree looked incredibly tempting but it sounds like it's not worth the cost at all. Plus I know that it's much better to abuse it by just starting the mission over and over again, but that might be a little too cheap.

Yeah I considered that but for me personally it’s a step too far into exploit territory getting that many free inventions every 20 years. I’m all for abusing intentional but poorly balanced mechanics but this seems like an unintentional design oversight. Apparently on release of the DLC there was no cool down on restarting the tree so you could repeat the first mission (which gives 4 free inventions and insta-completes with zero requirements) forever for infinite inventions and fill out every tech tree.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
With the Steam sale Imperator's only like $11 for the Centurion bundle, I'm considering grabbing it -- is it any good yet?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

With the Steam sale Imperator's only like $11 for the Centurion bundle, I'm considering grabbing it -- is it any good yet?

As good as it will ever get; they said they're not doing more updates.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

DrSunshine posted:

Yes, it's arguably better than EU4 right now.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yes, it's arguably better than EU4 right now.

Unless EU4 was recently patched this is like saying that Imperator is arguably better than Big Rigs Over the Road Racing right now.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Given that development is on an indefinite hiatus, anyone have experience with mods? I like the base game but as someone else mentioned, I don't like how trade suffers as the number of tags in the game goes down, or how Rome is almost impossible to stop after like 15 years, etc. I'd love it if there was just a balance mod that smoothed out the roughest edges like that.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

There's a "community dlc" in progress, "Imperator Invictus", seems to be pulling together a bunch of smaller mods and adding more missions and such for different regions. https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/mod-imperator-invictus.1473328/

The main big big mod is "Gladio et Sale", and it does... I've no idea to be honest, but I assume the same things all the major Paradox mods do: lots of extra content, rebalancing, and at least one bizarrely hyperdetailed new mechanic that the author is obsessed with. I imagine this is probably the best place to look for a trade fix. https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/mod-gladio-et-sale-forging-imperators-future.1176000/

One mod I do have experience with is the Bronze Age mod, which does exactly what you expect: transpose the entire game into the mid Bronze Age (2115 BCE, after the collapse of the Old Kingdom in Egypt and just prior to the fall of the Gutian Dynasty of Sumer). The original authors eventually decided to move development over the CK3, but recently someone else decided to continue development on the Imp version, so it's still going. https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/mod-bronze-age-reborn-released-for-2-0.1466011/

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Unless EU4 was recently patched this is like saying that Imperator is arguably better than Big Rigs Over the Road Racing right now.

EU4 has been extensively patched over the last month. It's no longer broken, though balance is pretty off in a lot of parts of the world.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I picked this up in the steam sale and been having fun conquering places. But now all these provinces are unhappy for some reason after I killed all their troops and sacked their cities. I've got my governors set to "harsh treatment" but the beatings don't seem to be improving their loyalty. Any ideas about how to keep the provinces in line?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Do you have enough troops to conquer who you want to conquer? If no, integrate a culture or two.

If yes, just let them revolt and crush the rebels. Build a theatre or temple or two there to slowly destroy their local identity. Maybe switch to the conversion province policy if you really want them to stop being a pain.

e: Could also add one of their gods to your pantheon, if they're wrong religion.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Tribal regions are usually very unruly, if a province has zero cities it's usually hard to keep pacified. If you can, build a city on the most developed or most promising territory.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Someone pitch me a country to play/achievement to aim for. I'm a beginner and need to learn.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
bosporan kingdom :)

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

Someone pitch me a country to play/achievement to aim for. I'm a beginner and need to learn.

Syracusae, and try to strangle the Romans in their dumb overpowered cradle. That's what helped me to really figure out the game when I was trying things out for the first time.

You can also sit back and get a feel for how things work as them, but the Romans will come knocking for you eventually.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Do you have enough troops to conquer who you want to conquer? If no, integrate a culture or two.

If yes, just let them revolt and crush the rebels. Build a theatre or temple or two there to slowly destroy their local identity. Maybe switch to the conversion province policy if you really want them to stop being a pain.

e: Could also add one of their gods to your pantheon, if they're wrong religion.

So follow Marcus Didius Falco's advice:

quote:

As the poet said, my mission was to bring civilized pursuits to the rest of the world. In the face of tenacious opposition, I believed you whacked them, taxed them, absorbed them, patronized them, then proscribed human sacrifice, dressed them in togas and discouraged them from openly insulting Rome. Then you put in a strong governor and let them get on with it.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Finished first full game since the early versions of Imperator, maybe 1.0 or 1.1? I forget.

Bonus road map, one of my favorite parts of the game. :)

Goal was to hit Trajan's borders by 117 AD - ended up hitting final borders in 73 BC, then ran out the clock stabilizing and converting and spamming buildings. I chose to stop at the Rhine and the Danube for nice clean-ish borders, east was a bit messier - I stopped in the Caucasus mountains, and at the edge of the regions of Media and Persis.

Game has really came a long way since release (which I also enjoyed, unlike many people), I like a lot of the 2.0 rework changes, especially the tech trees, and rebalancing the buildings and economy. Sucks they never got the player numbers they wanted and pulled the plug on developing, but I feel that most of peoples' complaints were eventually addressed, and areas that needed work were fleshed out and expanded. If anyone's on the fence, and you like Paradox games and the time period, I highly recommend it.

I tried to expand in roughly historical order, within the confines of the mission system - I was a little irked that the "Punic Rivals" or whatever encouraged me to take mainland Africa sooner than I wanted to, but was otherwise a pretty good guide. Curiously, I found the economy went in phases - early game it was all about taxes, then blossoms into commerce income once you get more provinces online. However, I found that this reversed in the mid-late-mid period, once you've annexed enough of your neighbors, you end up with a dearth of import requests. Not sure if this was a bug or not, but around this time, I stopped getting import requests for anything other than iron/cloth/wine from the capital, Latium, which I refused due to ganking my surpluses. For the rest of the game, no one ever requested any of the gorillions of trade goods from the rest of the Republic. Late game, tax income once again dwarfed commerce income.

After the challenging near-peer wars early in the game, the only enemies to put up a serious fight were the first wars with Egypt and the Seleukids. Worst military blunder was at the end of the final war for Mesopotamia, where a legion doomstack of 80 cohorts with 10 donkeys ran out of food while waiting for a fleet to sail from the Red Sea to the Persian Gulf to transport to that one island province with a fort on it. Lost a good 20,000 men to starvation and exposure, the only time in the game, in true Napoleonic fashion. Once I unlocked legions, I exclusively used the capital legion for all wars, to stack all of the possible legion awards for extra bonuses. I split it into quarters and used these stacks for all operations. I used a ratio of 1:10 engineers, 1:10 donkeys, enough light cav for flanking (eventually maxing out at 20 per stack), with heavy inf spam for the remainder of the force limit. Generally, never lost a stand-up fight. Tried to avoid using levies except as auxiliaries to cover flanks, fight barbarians, or rear echelon forces to back-capture territory. Eventually, once the cash was rolling in, I'd keep a reserve on hand to buy off enemy merc spam.

Post-2.0 economy is definitely focused on cities over settlements and slaves, as in early versions of the game. I demolished cities in lovely spots and built tons of them - coastal provinces with good terrain got a city in every non-food territory, inland provinces got only one city in the best terrain. I tried to build with an eye to connecting them in a nice aesthetic road network, which is always fun to build. This got a little annoying once I crossed into Asia, where there's a handful of existing roads (some of which connected cities I demolished), and the Makedon and Egyptian AIs built a couple too, I edited the save files to delete them when they were in annoying/lovely spots. Every city had a great temple, a theatre, and a foundry. In Italia, every city got 3x academies, everywhere else, late game I spammed 3x courts of law. Italia got aqueduct spam to max the capital region population to max out legion size, everywhere else got tax office spam. Early on, I kept mines and farms in settlements, demolishing everything else, but eventually I demolished all those too, as they prevented migration from conquered settlements to cities.

Ended up with 57,090 pops and 3,345 territories. 98.43% Hellenic, 85.2% Roman. I exclusively converted and only briefly integrated Macedonian, before unintegrating, in order to unlock the Greek military idea groups once I'd finished the Roman tree (I only just realized right now, while writing this, that I could've gone down the Italic Tribe tree, but forgot to :v:) I never got any rebellions or civil wars by focusing heavily on integration, loyalty, and happiness. Was a bit sketchy early on after conquring Magna Graecia, Cisalpine Gaul, and coastal Hisapnia, but before the pops were converted/assimilated and before I had money to spam buildings everywhere. Great Wonders are super OP and help a ton - as soon as I hit Great Power I saved up and built two, one with Government Tradition (+prov loyalty and +governor loyalty, which indirectly increases prov loyalty), Expanding Culture (+assimilation +conversion), and Honored Leader (+integrated culture happiness, which also improves character loyalty, which indirectly increases prov loyalty via governor loyalty). These really help a ton with blobbing and stability. For the second wonder, I built Conquering Traditions (-AE impact, -warscore cost) which is the most important, but also picked Siege Traditions (nuff said) and Engineering (-build cost, -build time, but primarily +global building slots at high levels).

Tech tree wise, early on I went for stuff that helped with building unlocks and loyalty, before moving onto unlocking techs for great wonders, then going for AE reduction stuff, then going for siege stuff. Most military buffs seemed unnecessary. Late game I faffed about and got stuff for pop growth, happiness, and whatever seemed cool. "Taking Land By The Spear" at the end of Oratory is super helpful for taking tons of land from giant empires - it was really tedious doing so in early versions of Imperator, where you were limited by warscore. Now, the cap is how much AE and war exhaustion you can stand :V I never went over 50 AE but I did max out war exhaustion at 30. Stability was always kept high, by the mid-late game it never really went under 70 or 80, it's at 100 at the end of the game. I snagged "Zero" at the end of religious just for fun. I hit tech 23 by the end of the game, I was generally +80 years ahead of time all game. With the change to tech ratio being based off of integrated pops only, it's really easy to stay capped at 125% (later 150%) research efficiency.

E: Roma is sitting at 566/625 pops with 69 aqueducts. Province has a cool 112 trade routes, with every capital surplus of note, plenty of grain, then elephants and horse spam for +pop output. After the aqueduct nerf, I didn't think I'd be able to get it to keep growing past 140 or so, but it sure did!

Azuren fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 2, 2021

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Azuren posted:

Tried to avoid using levies except as auxiliaries to cover flanks, fight barbarians, or rear echelon forces to back-capture territory. Eventually, once the cash was rolling in, I'd keep a reserve on hand to buy off enemy merc spam.

Ah, you should always be raising your levies even if you're not going to use them to fight. Once you're large enough and you have enough starting xp mods, you can start cheesing military experience from them and unlock basically every tradition in every tradition tree, which can lead to some wild poo poo.

Look at these loving space marines, and I haven't even unlocked the Indic trees yet:

Also one of the best ways to increase your levy size multiplier :laugh:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Ah, you should always be raising your levies even if you're not going to use them to fight. Once you're large enough and you have enough starting xp mods, you can start cheesing military experience from them and unlock basically every tradition in every tradition tree, which can lead to some wild poo poo.

Look at these loving space marines, and I haven't even unlocked the Indic trees yet:

Also one of the best ways to increase your levy size multiplier :laugh:

Wait I thought you shouldn't raise Levies because they use POPs?

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

MonsieurChoc posted:

Wait I thought you shouldn't raise Levies because they use POPs?

They do use them temporarily, but you don't lose them permanently unless the levy gets stackwiped. It does ding your economy/research/war exhaustion though, which is why I tried to avoid them once I had legions online.

E: Another weird bug that I've only seen in post-2.0: once I got to far-away lands, IIRC deep into barbarian Hispania and Gaul, and in Armenia, I'd occasionally find cities that were still producing food trade goods. Looked like they were default cities, too, and not ones the AI had built on top of food territories. Was curious.

Azuren fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 2, 2021

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Azuren posted:

E: Another weird bug that I've only seen in post-2.0: once I got to far-away lands, IIRC deep into barbarian Hispania and Gaul, and in Armenia, I'd occasionally find cities that were still producing food trade goods. Looked like they were default cities, too, and not ones the AI had built on top of food territories. Was curious.

There’s a handful of missions that convert a settlement into a city but don’t call the change trade good function for areas in Asia Minor, so you can end up with some of those food producing cities. Carthage can have a similar thing in turning some of its coastal settlements into cities through missions. I think there may also be a couple that default still produce food there, but I’m not sure offhand.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Azuren posted:

They do use them temporarily, but you don't lose them permanently unless the levy gets stackwiped. It does ding your economy/research/war exhaustion though, which is why I tried to avoid them once I had legions online.

Right, so if I understand you right I should raise levies until I can replace them with Legions so I can farm military xp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Azuren posted:

Finished first full game since the early versions of Imperator, maybe 1.0 or 1.1? I forget.

Bonus road map, one of my favorite parts of the game. :)

Goal was to hit Trajan's borders by 117 AD - ended up hitting final borders in 73 BC, then ran out the clock stabilizing and converting and spamming buildings. I chose to stop at the Rhine and the Danube for nice clean-ish borders, east was a bit messier - I stopped in the Caucasus mountains, and at the edge of the regions of Media and Persis.

No Dacia = A shameful failure. ;)

No, that's a drat good job.