Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

Ok let's try again.

Thread Rules

This thread will be moderated with a heavy hand. Use the report button if someone is breaking the thread or forum rules. Continued engagement with trolls and threadshitters will result in a time-out, for the good of the thread.

This is a topic folks are rightly passionate about, but posting quality has often suffered to the point of jeopardizing what is generally seen as a helpful thread. I'd like to not see it closed, so please abide by the following:

This thread is for:
1. Identifying fascists and fascist-adjacent people in the Trad Gaming community; public figures in particular. This is so that fellow goons can make informed decisions about who they do and don't support.
2. Educating goons about common tactics fash use to infiltrate and recruit from gaming communities, so that we can resist them within our own.
3. Educating goons about history, politics, and philosophy, as it pertains to understanding fascism AND RELATES TO TRAD GAMING. If you're gonna post a 3,000 word essay on the history and changing context of the Swastika (don't do this), it better be because of that wehraboo in your group who insists on putting them all over his Tyranids.

This thread is not for:
1. THIS IS NOT A WITCH HUNT. Fascists, rather helpfully, invariably out themselves. All the examples in the OP are researched and have supporting evidence. If you're not sure, then give the benefit of the doubt. There is no need to go drawing abstract conclusions from out of context data, or making accusations because someone plays a game you don't like.
2. Seriously, if you think a particular game is fashy, that doesn't mean that a) you're right, and b) everyone who plays it is a fash. "40K has a lot of fashy themes and can attract shitheads who don't understand the satire" is a good post, "I understand the satire but no one is as smart as me so everyone who plays space marines must be a closet Nazi" is a bad post.
3. Baiting and posting in bad faith. Like the above, this is easy to spot but hard to ignore. Call people out but don't continue to engage; that's what they want. Use the report button and ignore them. They will be dealt with.
4. Threadshitting. Posts like "I thought this thread was about" fall under this category. If you don't have anything to contribute that adds to the collective knowledge of the thread, don't post.
5. Bitching about moderation. If you post here, it comes at the risk of being punished. Complaining about moderation will get you probated. The admins review and approve any punishment greater than six hours, so either you did something minor and nobody is going to change anything or more than one person agreed you did something really bad. PM Beer or Ettin if you feel a punishment was inappropriate.

“Never forget you have a terrible hobby full of terrible people”
- Hitler, probably.

Hi, I'm Big Meaty Shits and I love trad gaming. I also loving hate fascists.

Unfortunately, our beloved hobby has gradually become infested with alt righters, hardline conservatives, fundamentalists, and whatever other kid glove terms we're labeling Nazis with these days. And while it is absolutely their god given right to be genocidal, bootlicking, scumfucks, it's absolutely our god given right to name and shame them. That's what this thread is for.

Today's fash permeate all aspects of the gaming scene. Many unsuspecting hobbyists don't realise that their clicks, likes, patreon dollars, and hobby purchases are going towards supporting fascists. More and more frequently, goons in the 40K thread are asking Who Is Bad, and many are finding out that their hobby favourites are, in fact, Bad.

Fortunately, thanks to both diligent goons and the fact that in recent years these morons have felt emboldened enough (FOR SOME REASON) to out themselves, we can more easily identify them.

This thread is not for the big name, out and out fash that everyone knows about like Sargon of Akkad or ArchWarhammer. This thread is for the collaborators, the sympathisers. It's for the cowards that turn a blind eye or cry “both sides”. It’s for those fucks who act above it all because either their bottom line is at stake or because taking the position that Nazis Are Bad is just too much to ask.

This thread is about empowering goons to make informed choices about just who they're supporting in their hobby.

While my focus is 40K/GW, I have a feeling that other trad games have the same problem. I'll be updating this OP with contributions as they come in.

Don't poo poo up my thread trying to debate the ethics of outing Nazis and Nazi sympathisers. I also don't give a gently caress if you think your favourite YouTube personality is being unfairly maligned for having fascists on their channel. Did they apologise? Have they resolved to do better? No? Then gently caress ‘em. That said, if my information is out of date and amends have been made, then please let me know and I’ll give credit where it’s due.

Drone posted:

There seems to be three tiers to the subjects of this thread:

1.) Actual fascists.
2.) Fascist-adjacent or, at best, just ignorant (Duterte shirt guy, Black Sun roller)
3.) Seeing fascists where there are none (a group of old dadgamers who seem otherwise very good and even wear anti-confederate T-shirts but OH NO they shot some German guns once!)

The treatment of each group should probably be, in order:

1.) Call out and shun
2.) Call out and either shun or educate based on their response
3.) loving ignore, these people aren't even fascists or fash-adjacent to begin with

Reece Robbins - Fronltine Gaming
Frontline Gaming, run by Reece Robbins, is a hobby giant. They’re responsible for the ITC, which, if you’re playing GW games competitively in the US, you’ve likely played in. They’re a big reseller, and have their own merch line. They also run their own painting commission service, which in 2018, produced this gem:

Those unfamiliar should know that the particular skull and crossbones painted on his model is the Totenkopf badge of the Schutzstaffel (SS). Goon Lovely Joe Stalin noticed this and commented:

Soon after Reece stepped in:

Because of course the first thing you want to do when someone alerts you to the fact that your business is posting Nazi iconography is to:
  1. Dismiss said iconography as being something it isn’t, ie: “just a skull”.
  2. Blame the person taking issue with your company promoting Nazi iconography (that you just said wasn’t Nazi iconography) as being “easily offended”.
  3. Posit that you either intentionally posted Nazi iconography, or made a mistake out of ignorance, then say that it couldn’t possibly be the latter.
  4. Take down the image anyway, even though it’s “just a skull”.
(Note that while they’ve taken it down, it is, to date, still hosted at https://www.frontlinegaming.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Knight.Matt_-932x1024.png)

A a brief slapfight between bootlickers defending TotenKnight and others ensued. Concerned folks gave FLG the benefit of the doubt, insisting that it must be an honest mistake. As FLG is incapable of such a thing, Reece steps in again:

Because of course the second thing you want to do when your business is posting Nazi iconography is:
  1. Admit that you can see how people might see that the Nazi iconography is in fact Nazi iconography, but continue insist that it isn’t.
  2. Refuse to apologise for posting Nazi iconography, mistakenly or otherwise.
  3. Berate your customers for asking that you apologise for (or at least denounce for fucks sake) posting Nazi iconography.
  4. Whine that it’s “unpalatable” to admit to and apologise for posting Nazi iconography.
  5. Reassure your customers that you would apologise if you had done something worth apologising for, which apparently does not include posting Nazi iconography.

Fash Rating: /5
Collaborator Rating:/5

Luke Barker - StrikingScorpion82
SS82 (or SS1488, if you’re clever) is a popular YouTuber, famous for posting battle reports that feature the batrep unicorn of well-painted armies on beautiful terrain, through a camera that isn’t being held by Michael J. Fox. His Richie Benaud-esque tones round out an overall pleasant viewing experience.

In 2016, out of loving nowhere, Luke decides to post a long pro-Brexit rant to his channel. One that blitzes the fash bingo card with complaints about a loss of traditions, culture, laws, identity, and flags (yes, loving flags), thanks to immigrants, who he describes as “snakes”.

While Luke was quick to take the video down, he has remained mum on having posted it in the first place. And while I’d like to give him the benefit of the doubt and think that he’d changed his views, goon adamantium|wang noticed a recurring guest in Luke’s battle reports:

adamantium|wang posted:

Okay so I had to go back to the videos and take some more screens. There are 2 SS82 batreps (CTS 43 and CTS 44)against a Guard player named Jensen Regan who has made some questionable design choices with his dudes.

First off there are a lot of Iron Crosses everywhere which could normally be fine. But they take on a different meaning when displayed next to prominent red banners with a black aquila on a white roundel:

Then the regimental insignia is a white cross on a shield, alternating with a freehand white iron cross. Normally not too bad, but there are little things that appear to be skulls in the bottom corner of the shoulder pads:

Hold on, those look like letters:

Now lets take a look at his commander:

Red skull with sig runes. Welp.

Not a good look, Luke. Fortunately, adamantium|wang let him know that he might have made an oversight:

adamantium|wang posted:

Oh and it looks like my comments about the army have been deleted! Thanks Luke! Here are the videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdFjxiDSbRU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEieimBGW38

Welp.

Collaborator Rating: /5

<Mod edit: Leperflesh removed personally identifying information about an industry participant that was here. Contact site admins/Jeffrey if you need details.>

Ash Barker - Guerilla Miniature Games
Ash not only did not comment on the above, but has had Travis back on several times since. He even later posted another batrep filmed on the same day, with Travis in the same shirt. gently caress Ash.

Ash is Good again. Per Z the IVth:

Z the IVth posted:

Have a reply from GMG

quote:

Hey Z the IVth,

My official response is that I emphatically oppose fascism and while I was unaware of the politics or history of the person depicted on the T Shirt that does not excuse any offence taken from its depiction in my videos. I will remove the specific video immediately and search through any further videos involving the same individual to remove them as well.

Thanks for reaching out Z the IVth,

Ash

He's followed up as well and said all the videos are gone. The linked video from the OP is gone, but I don't know which other ones contain the HDM guy.

Harold McNeill - White Wolf

moths posted:

MtG artist Harold McNeill is probably best known for Invoke Prejudice:

Yikes, is that the Klan?

But he's also done Lightning Blow:

Which looks a little Sig rune-y, but

Uhh...

:godwinning:

Despite not playing Magic, I didn't have to look far into this one. From White Wolf Wiki:

White Wolf Wiki posted:

McNeill is open about his white supremacist politics, and his non-commercial artwork frequently includes Nazi imagery, making him a controversial figure in the gaming community.

Apparently he no longer contributes to either game, but I'll leave this up for posterity and in case anyone is recommended his work.

Fash Rating: :godwinning::godwinning::godwinning::godwinning::godwinning::godwinning::godwinning::godwinning::godwinning::godwinning:/5

Michael Bell - MANHammer/SEGStudio
Michael is a complex man of many facets. Unfortunately, all of them are some variation of a 14 year old edgelord. Michael runs MANHammer, a painting studio which, if the name didn't give it away, is dedicated to thots, biotruths, and tiggering the libs. When he's not busy painting titty minis, he's writing about how not mad he is at people who point out that he's an adult who paints titty minis.

"But Big Meaty," you say, "Michael might be a piece of poo poo who hates women, but he's not fash, right?" First of all, gently caress you. Fash can take on many forms, and oppressing women through gender roles and stereotyping, and generally being a creepy piece of poo poo, is fash as gently caress. But in case you disagree (again, gently caress you), you're in luck:

To the shock of absolutely no one, this gently caress associates with Pepes and Keks. But in case you needed more: About a year ago the 40K Badcast (if you aren't already, subscribe right now what the gently caress is wrong with you) did a Very Cool and Good episode about fash in 40K, and our boy was among those called out. Fortunately for the public record, he's a big enough idiot to have responded:

I, uh, yeah...

Who is Good?
See this post for thread recommendations. Thanks B4tBG for making the suggestion.

Let's keep working to out these fucks and keep our hobby fash free.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Thanks for making this thread, I didn't know how much I needed it.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

This is a good as hell resource. Thanks.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
This thread seems like the perfect place for an effortpost on the while White Wolf debacle too, especially with Bloodlines 2 coming up soon I'm sure there will be questions. I wish I were informed enough on the subject to be the one to do it. :(

To actually contribute something, I will xpost a post of mine from the 40k thread a while back:

Deified Data posted:

So here's a thing

I recently bought a "chaos runes" roller from green stuff world and its got this big ol black sun symbol on it? I didn't notice it until I actually rolled out some clay and looked closer.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sun_(symbol)

I recognized it from a lot of modern white nationalist stuff and I checked if it had some deeper, more esoteric meaning but as far as I can tell the farthest we can trace it back to is its use among Himmler and the SS.

Anyone have experience with this company? I like their rollers and it would be a shame if they're Nazis but I don't see it as a symbol you just use accidentally. Am I mistaken here?

I want to reiterate that they might have just picked symbols at random for this roller, but considering how hard you have to bend over backwards to tie the black sun symbol to the ancient norse and how easy it is to see associated with the modern right, it sounds like a longshot to me. And, still being charitable, this symbol being included on this roller may not be indicative of a larger fashy culture at Green Stuff World so much as a single fash designer that got one in under the radar. This definitely bears further investigation and probably an email to GSW actually confronting them about it. I'll procede with that shortly and post the results. Hope they're not fash! I genuinely like their products.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Any good alternatives to Guerilla Miniatures? Something with tons of content released very often. I didn't realize he was a fascist sympathizer.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

The only game I play is Infinity and while we don't have an outright facism issue with Nazi paint jobs, it's not to say we're entirely clear. One of the armies has a subfaction composed of endlessly crusading Space Catholics complete with a Space Pope. This tends to draw a lot of far right religious hard liners who love to cheer Deus Vult and poast crusade memes. Infinity also has a problem with "sexy sculpts" and that tends to draw a lot of alt right creeplords.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
The only good fascist is a dead fascist.

Good job everyone, we must remain vigilant.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

Deified Data posted:

This thread seems like the perfect place for an effortpost on the while White Wolf debacle too, especially with Bloodlines 2 coming up soon I'm sure there will be questions. I wish I were informed enough on the subject to be the one to do it. :(

To actually contribute something, I will xpost a post of mine from the 40k thread a while back:

I want to reiterate that they might have just picked symbols at random for this roller, but considering how hard you have to bend over backwards to tie the black sun symbol to the ancient norse and how easy it is to see associated with the modern right, it sounds like a longshot to me. And, still being charitable, this symbol being included on this roller may not be indicative of a larger fashy culture at Green Stuff World so much as a single fash designer that got one in under the radar. This definitely bears further investigation and probably an email to GSW actually confronting them about it. I'll procede with that shortly and post the results. Hope they're not fash! I genuinely like their products.

Yeah that looks sketchy, but good call on checking in first. This isn't a witch hunt, let fash out themselves (and they always will).

I know bits and pieces of the WW drama but hopefully someone more into that scene can comment.

Thanks everyone.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Any good alternatives to Guerilla Miniatures? Something with tons of content released very often. I didn't realize he was a fascist sympathizer.

I have a small stable of guys - none of them release all that often, but subbing to enough of them you'll probably have a new video from someone every other day which is enough for me.

Winters SEO is pretty popular around here for batreps, his buddy Sorcerer Dave is similarly cool. The MWG guys are weird in other ways but I've never heard the first thing about them being chuds. Glacial Geek is a cool, positive guy.

I'm always interested in hearing people's thoughts about Tabletop Tactics after Bone's idiotic "roman salute" thing during a batrep. I for one thing it was naive and not at all intended the way it looked but I've been wrong about people before. Incidental to this, they're probably the best video batreps out there at the moment so it'd be a drat shame if they were chuds. They don't really give me that vibe, though.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

The only good fascist is a dead fascist.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
In defense of GMG, while Duterte is an awful piece of poo poo he isn't quite at the same level of notoriety as Hitler and Trump et al. From the look of it there was one comment that made a fuss of it and I wouldn't blame him for ignoring it since the internet is full of loons and if you were ignorant of the true facts it can easily be seen as such. He didn't reply to any of the comments to that video so who knows if he's read them.

I can imagine if someone showed up wearing an Aung Sun Suu Kyi shirt and then people start accusing them of being genocide apologists. The last some people would have heard of her was when she won the Nobel Peace Prize.

If you've actually messaged him directly or the issue has been raised repeatedly and he's actually defended it then it's no excuse and I withdraw the statement. If no one's contacted him then I volunteer to do so and will report back.

In the current climate I don't feel it's massively helpful to brand people fascist collaborators without the benefit of doubt if the issue could be attributed to ignorance. See the UK where the right-wing press are constantly giving poo poo to Corbyn because he 'Liked' a mural of capitalists oppressing BAMEs that was later revealed as anti-semitic by the artist.

Same thing with the GreenStuffWorld roller - someone should really email them about it.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

Luke Barker - StrikingScorpion82
SS82 (or SS1488, if you’re clever) is a popular YouTuber, famous for posting battle reports that feature the batrep unicorn of well-painted armies on beautiful terrain, through a camera that isn’t being held by Michael J. Fox. His Richie Benaud-esque tones round out an overall pleasant viewing experience.

aw man... that was honestly one of the few channels i liked because it really was a pleasant viewing experience

:smith:

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Z the IVth posted:

In defense of GMG, while Duterte is an awful piece of poo poo he isn't quite at the same level of notoriety as Hitler and Trump et al. From the look of it there was one comment that made a fuss of it and I wouldn't blame him for ignoring it since the internet is full of loons and if you were ignorant of the true facts it can easily be seen as such. He didn't reply to any of the comments to that video so who knows if he's read them.

I can imagine if someone showed up wearing an Aung Sun Suu Kyi shirt and then people start accusing them of being genocide apologists. The last some people would have heard of her was when she won the Nobel Peace Prize.

If you've actually messaged him directly or the issue has been raised repeatedly and he's actually defended it then it's no excuse and I withdraw the statement. If no one's contacted him then I volunteer to do so and will report back.

In the current climate I don't feel it's massively helpful to brand people fascist collaborators without the benefit of doubt if the issue could be attributed to ignorance. See the UK where the right-wing press are constantly giving poo poo to Corbyn because he 'Liked' a mural of capitalists oppressing BAMEs that was later revealed as anti-semitic by the artist.

Same thing with the GreenStuffWorld roller - someone should really email them about it.

What kind of a rock must you be living under to not know about duterte and his death squads?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Booley posted:

What kind of a rock must you be living under to not know about duterte and his death squads?

I know of Duterte and his death squads because I'm from SEA.

The UK press has not reported on it for quite a while. Even the MSM back home barely report on it.

Hell there's barely any news about the weekly riots and atrocities in loving Paris.

The Western press really does not report on a lot of things that don't concern them, and outside of infrequent 'specials' you can be forgiven for not knowing what the latest genocide occuring in the third world is occurring.

As I said, it's not Nazis or any good old western fascism so I am willing to give him the benefit of ignorance.

hard counter posted:

aw man... that was honestly one of the few channels i liked because it really was a pleasant viewing experience

:smith:

Winters is similar but with less filler and no fash. Superior choice IMO.

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 22, 2019

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Z the IVth posted:

I know of Duterte and his death squads because I'm from SEA.

If you read the press (in the UK) then there is absolutely *no* news about it.

Hell there's barely any news about the weekly riots and atrocities in loving Paris.

The Western press really does not report on a lot of things.

I'm not saying you don't know about him, I'm saying the battlereport guy is being willfully ignorant. Even if you don't know who he is, it seems irresponsible to let someone wear a political shirt on your channel if you don't agree with it.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Z the IVth posted:

They've been emailed and we're awaiting a response.

Not so sure about the Duterte stuff though - he was informed but proceeded to ignore the information. He definitely knows who Duterte is now in any case.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Booley posted:

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
That wasn't the only comment on the video about the shirt, and <mod edit: removed PII> response was the same. Even if <mod edit: removed PII> thought those folks were loons, <mod edit: removed PII>' replies should have been a huge red loving flag.

<mod edit: removed PII> reads and replies to comments, his silence is enough for me. Go ahead and contact him and if he genuinely recants and takes down all of <mod edit: removed PII>' vids then I'll update the OP as such.

Also:

Booley posted:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 23, 2023

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Booley posted:

I'm not saying you don't know about him, I'm saying the battlereport guy is being willfully ignorant. Even if you don't know who he is, it seems irresponsible to let someone wear a political shirt on your channel if you don't agree with it.

Did he know who the fucker was though? He could have been some obscure pop star for all you know.

You have a really high opinion on how well-informed the average person in the West is about the poo poo that goes on in the far east.

Deified Data posted:

They've been emailed and we're awaiting a response.

Not so sure about the Duterte stuff though - he was informed but proceeded to ignore the information. He definitely knows who Duterte is now in any case.

Now this is far more definitive. I will prod him and see what he says.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
One thing I would appreciate is if we maintained a sense of positivity by also emphasizing alternatives. For example, I enjoy the batreps from Winters SEO.

From a moderation perspective I encourage the use of the report button. I'm all for consumers voting with their dollars, but threads like this can easily become toxic.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Yikes, is that the Klan?

But he's also done Lightning Blow:

Which looks a little Sig rune-y, but

Uhh...

:godwinning:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Z the IVth posted:

Winters is similar but with less filler and no fash. Superior choice IMO.

haven't winters and ss82 done collaboration videos together? i know that on its own doesn't necessarily mean anything but i'm a little worried about how deep this all goes and what other names i'll see here

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I've mentioned before that a Proud Boy was an occasional customer at the local GW store.

Showed up for his first game with an unpainted and poorly-glued Mortarion and a start collecting box/Dark Imperium worth of stuff, got into a 2v2 game, a Death Company squad on my team obliterated his Morty, he got real salty.

I could tell I didn't like him, but didn't realize he was an actually lovely person and not just annoying when he started saying stuff like "ah, that guy raped me" in reference to a unit attacking his troops or whatever. My reaction was more "whoaaaa" in a sort of :yikes: way.

But then at some point during the game, his sleeve rolled up on his shirt and revealed his Proud Boy tattoo. For the record, I didn't read his shirt, but I see flags all the time on ex-mil guys and didn't put two and two together until the tattoo was exposed.

So what I thought was just an awkward young shithead turned out to be a fascist, and a pussy. I saw him several weeks later and didn't respond to his greeting, I had already told the manager who I was friends with to beware of the fash kid. Then a month or two later he came in, tried to shake my hand when he saw me, I looked at it like it was covered in poo poo and turned my back to him.

Haven't seen the little turd since. Good riddance, bitch

TheBigAristotle fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 22, 2019

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Deified Data posted:

I have a small stable of guys - none of them release all that often, but subbing to enough of them you'll probably have a new video from someone every other day which is enough for me.

Winters SEO is pretty popular around here for batreps, his buddy Sorcerer Dave is similarly cool. The MWG guys are weird in other ways but I've never heard the first thing about them being chuds. Glacial Geek is a cool, positive guy.

I'm always interested in hearing people's thoughts about Tabletop Tactics after Bone's idiotic "roman salute" thing during a batrep. I for one thing it was naive and not at all intended the way it looked but I've been wrong about people before. Incidental to this, they're probably the best video batreps out there at the moment so it'd be a drat shame if they were chuds. They don't really give me that vibe, though.

Bone’s thing is being the “toga Tau”. He wears Roman togas to tournaments. In the immediate battle report after the report with the salute, they briefly mentioned that the salute had bad connotations and would not be seen again on the channel.

Idk, on a base level I think they are innocent and just didn’t put two and two together... but on the other hand this hobby is full of idiots and fascists so who can say.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

One thing I would appreciate is if we maintained a sense of positivity by also emphasizing alternatives. For example, I enjoy the batreps from Winters SEO.

From a moderation perspective I encourage the use of the report button. I'm all for consumers voting with their dollars, but threads like this can easily become toxic.

I dig this. I'll reserve this space for those posts and link from the OP.

Mel the Terrain Tutor is excellent for terrain building.
Tabletop Tactics are another heavy hitter in the batrep scene. They did have that misstep with a "roman salute" that they addressed and apologised for, so they stay on the Good List.
Geeks Wargaming are similar to Winters though run shorter batreps and update less frequently.
SkaredCast is Dark Eldar focused but diversifies a bit.
Tabletop Assault have a pretty steady output and explain things pretty well as they go.
Sorcerer Dave per the thread. Often features on WintersSEO.

Per Asmodai_00:
Rerolling Ones
PLASMO
Miscast Terrain
Soastro
Luke Towan

Per Z the IVth:
Batreps:
Hellstorm Wargaming
Painting:
Sorastro's Painting
Terrain and Wargaming:
Black Magic Craft
Wyloch's Armory

BIG MEATY SHITS fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 22, 2019

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Bone’s thing is being the “toga Tau”. He wears Roman togas to tournaments. In the immediate battle report after the report with the salute, they briefly mentioned that the salute had bad connotations and would not be seen again on the channel.

Idk, on a base level I think they are innocent and just didn’t put two and two together... but on the other hand this hobby is full of idiots and fascists so who can say.

the difference is going "oh hey whoa lets not do that again"

vs

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Oh and my goto for Battle Reports is Rerolling Ones

I've heard good things about Sorcerer Dave as well.

Some hobby channels include:

PLASMO
Miscast Terrain
Sorastro
Luke Towan

Asmodai_00 fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 23, 2019

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Yeah that's why it was pretty easy for me to give the benefit of the doubt as a long-time fan, but for someone who's first exposure to TTT was that video I'd probably have noped out of there immediately.

Unrelated, but I would still suggest an entry in the OP for Arch at some point BMS, if only because of his hancho status among these people). I might also suggest The Quartering, who dips his toe in a lot of stuff but focuses mainly on MTG from what I gather. I 100% understand why you left guys like these out, because who doesn't know they're horrible, but it might help to make a more comprehensive resource in the long run for hobbyists who are less online than we are. :)

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

He wears Roman togas to tournaments.

Playing Tau is enough of a stigma as it is.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Deified Data posted:

I saw Bones at LVO and actually said I appreciated how they handled the whole roman salute thing (I expect everybody on YouTube to double down on that poo poo), and he was clearly regretful of the whole thing and didn't make any excuses about having hosed up.

The entire fact that nobody caught it at any point until it was already posted doesn't reflect great on their intelligence as a whole, but I feel comfortable that they're not malicious.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

I saw Bones at LVO and actually said I appreciated how they handled the whole roman salute thing (I expect everybody on YouTube to double down on that poo poo), and he was clearly regretful of the whole thing and didn't make any excuses about having hosed up.

The entire fact that nobody caught it at any point until it was already posted doesn't reflect great on their intelligence as a whole, but I feel comfortable that they're not malicious.

I'm glad they were cool about it, because those two are some of the funniest BatRep crew out there.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Some of mine:

Batreps
Hellstorm Wargaming https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCO9E15IR5AuowkXl2SbHAHQ

Painting
Sorastro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?Sorastro

Terrain - Some DND but there's some good stuff for wargaming as well.
Black Magic Craft https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UC2Rlv-ug-mtnXuMwlpcqFgg
Wyloch's Armory https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCrKJd7jQ989DZvtf5C69mYA

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Can we add anyone who unironically goes in for that "God Emperor Trump" crap?

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
There's that guy who got punched for being a Nazi at some convention last year, his whole twitter feed is full of massive right-wing rants and bitching about being punched for being a nazi. I think he used to be big in the MtG community before he got banned for being a fascist prick.

I think it's Jeremy H something, his name comes up a lot, but I'm not going to look him up.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

My read on the TTT thing is that at best they were thoughtless about it and at worst they knew what it looked like and thought they were just being a bit naughty, and then were surprised by being told how garbage it was. They seemed duly embarrassed in the next video and straight up said "yeah we won't be doing that again" and didn't attempt to defend it or make hay out of it, so for now they're ok in my book.

richyp posted:

There's that guy who got punched for being a Nazi at some convention last year, his whole twitter feed is full of massive right-wing rants and bitching about being punched for being a nazi. I think he used to be big in the MtG community before he got banned for being a fascist prick.

I think it's Jeremy H something, his name comes up a lot, but I'm not going to look him up.

That's The Quartering who was mentioned above. Jeremy Hambly. He's a piece of poo poo.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery

Deified Data posted:

Glacial Geek is a cool, positive guy.

I was gonna lurk, but I figured I'd echo this.

I've played games and ran tournament events that he's been in and he's excellent. Although I don't much engage with 40k anymore.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
:stare:

moths posted:

jfc. Updated the OP.

Deified Data posted:

Unrelated, but I would still suggest an entry in the OP for Arch at some point BMS, if only because of his hancho status among these people). I might also suggest The Quartering, who dips his toe in a lot of stuff but focuses mainly on MTG from what I gather. I 100% understand why you left guys like these out, because who doesn't know they're horrible, but it might help to make a more comprehensive resource in the long run for hobbyists who are less online than we are. :)
Fair. I'll start putting something together.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cessna posted:

Can we add anyone who unironically goes in for that "God Emperor Trump" crap?

What was the name of the artist.

Gigantic own goal IMO.

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

HOO BOY. HAVE I BEEN MAD ABOUT THIS FOR AWHILE.

I present without further introduction, Warren of Beasts of War.

Edit: adding link to thread https://www.beastsofwar.com/featured/blood-culture-world-of-darkness-community/

Brock Samsonite fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
Michael Bell - MANHammer/SEGStudio
Michael is a complex man of many facets. Unfortunately, all of them are some variation of a 14 year old edgelord. Michael runs MANHammer, a painting studio which, if the name didn't give it away, is dedicated to thots, biotruths, and tiggering the libs. When he's not busy painting titty minis, he's writing about how not mad he is at people who point out that he's an adult who paints titty minis.

"But Big Meaty," you say, "Michael might be a piece of poo poo who hates women, but he's not fash, right?" First of all, gently caress you. Fash can take on many forms, and oppressing women through gender roles and stereotyping, and generally being a creepy piece of poo poo, is fash as gently caress. But in case you disagree (again, gently caress you), you're in luck:

To the shock of absolutely no one, this gently caress associates with Pepes and Keks. But in case you needed more: About a year ago the 40K Badcast (if you aren't already, subscribe right now what the gently caress is wrong with you) did a Very Cool and Good episode about fash in 40K, and our boy was among those called out. Fortunately for the public record, he's a big enough idiot to have responded:

I, uh, yeah...