Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)

Ilor posted:

The underlying assumption that links exploration with colonization is the idea that the area being explored is populated by "primitives" or that it contains resources/people ripe for exploitation. The way to "decolonize" is to break this fundamental assumption - the area you're exploring turns out to be filled with advanced societies that are technologically/magically/culturally superior to your own. Turns out your region is the back-water, that you are the "primitive."

Somehow I'm reminded of the Crusader Kings "Sunset Invasion" event chain where the Aztecs invade western Europe. They proceed to complain about how backwards and tiny European cities are compared to the metropolis of Tenochtitlán and how horribly stinky Europeans are.

(The city had several hundred thousand inhabitants at the time of the Spanish conquest and was rivaled only by major European cities like Paris or the recently-repopulated Istanbul, and its inhabitants bathed frequently--there's one account that says the Aztecs followed the conquistadors around with incense burners to mask the Spaniards' terrible odor.)

Aschlafly fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Self Edit : This is about fascists in TRAD gaming, if I still want to talk about Fallout so badly I'll head over to a different forum, sorry

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 26, 2019

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Urgh, that is a shame to hear about Sandy Peterson.

Anything on Gregg Stafford or Robin Laws?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

PinheadSlim posted:

Self Edit : This is about fascists in TRAD gaming, if I still want to talk about Fallout so badly I'll head over to a different forum, sorry

Thanks.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

In an effort to re-rail this thread, I'm gonna bring up what I brought up in the historicals thread.

How do y'all feel about featuring swastikas on German armies, and the people who play them in general? I'm always a little hesitant of people who exclusively play Germans in WW2, that's mostly because of so many bad experiences I've had with people who play Confederates in American civil war games. My civil war buff uncle got me into traditional gaming and he brought me to a lot of racists basements where I got to overhear all sorts of horrible poo poo no 9 year old should hear.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
If they put the swastikas there, it's because they're Nazis, or Nazi-adjacent. This is a healthy rule of thumb that will steer you right so drat many times....and you know what? If you somehow meet the one exception, well, what did you lose, really?

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

PinheadSlim posted:

In an effort to re-rail this thread, I'm gonna bring up what I brought up in the historicals thread.

How do y'all feel about featuring swastikas on German armies, and the people who play them in general?

I don't think there's anything ethically wrong with color matching or having the correct unit insignia in a game that's meant to display a historical period in time. I've known perfectly normal people play Germans in FoW or Bolt Action and I've known complete loving weirdos who have SS officer uniforms in their closets that they've shown me as if it's something cool to cosplay as. The latter definitely have a different "feel" about them personality wise. The difference is that the mostly normal folks in the historical scene doing that will talk about the innovative or interesting facts about the FG 42 while the wehraboo will reveal himself as he tries to orally fellate the gun's memory as if it was the second coming of <insert your favorite non apocryphal gunsmith here>.

As an interesting compromise, I kinda like what Paolo Parente's Dust does with the German forces, modifying the unit insignia of the Afrika Corps and Luftwaffe to swap the overtness of the swastika for the iron cross.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Brock Samsonite posted:

As an interesting compromise, I kinda like what Paolo Parente's Dust does with the German forces, modifying the unit insignia of the Afrika Corps and Luftwaffe to swap the overtness of the swastika for the iron cross.

I like this too and I think it provides a decent litmus test for Nazi sympathizers.

Sympathizers and wehraboos are often saying stuff like the German army was German first, Nazi second, and that any pride they might feel is mostly for Germany and it's military traditions. If this is true then why wouldn't the symbol for the army itself be a more appropriate symbol than the one for the Nazi party?

Also I just realized a pretty easy way to win any argument about using the Totenkopf. Ask if they would willingly paint and play a miniature with slicked hair and a gasmask moustache, why or why not? It existed before Nazis but doesn't it make you think of only one thing?

It's like symbolism is somehow lost on these people. How would they feel if I put muttonchops and a stovepipe hat on a miniature then got incredulous when they associated it with Abraham Lincoln?

"I just wanted Marneus Calgar to be dapper, why do yo people have to insert politics into everything!?"

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 26, 2019

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Brock Samsonite posted:

I don't think there's anything ethically wrong with color matching or having the correct unit insignia in a game that's meant to display a historical period in time. I've known perfectly normal people play Germans in FoW or Bolt Action and I've known complete loving weirdos who have SS officer uniforms in their closets that they've shown me as if it's something cool to cosplay as. The latter definitely have a different "feel" about them personality wise. The difference is that the mostly normal folks in the historical scene doing that will talk about the innovative or interesting facts about the FG 42 while the wehraboo will reveal himself as he tries to orally fellate the gun's memory as if it was the second coming of <insert your favorite non apocryphal gunsmith here>.

I've discovered that anybody who mythologizes Nazi tanks instead of understanding that they were frequently terribly engineered, costly, hard to use, and not nearly the superior wunderwaffe they get made out to be is more often than not the sort of person likely to fetishize other bits of Nazi Germany. I don't know if it's a 100% overlap on the Venn diagram, but actual military history nerds seem less likely to fall into that trap than somebody who has uncomfortable ideas about the coolness of Nazis.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea there's nothing inherently wrong about giving ww2 german soldiers historically correct imagery (though of course there's also nothing wrong with NOT doing that, I like that 'eeeeh just use the iron cross instead' option). In my experiences the types of guys who are REAL into their nazi army tend to make themselves known pretty well without needing to stress about if the dude with a swastika on his german tank did it for historical accuracy or because he loves hitler.

Of course, anyone doing Nazi Space Marines or whatever can probably be written off as garbo right away. We have Nazi Space Marines already, they're called Space Marines, there's no reason to put a hat on a hat unless that second hat is your SS officer replica hat you wear to crank it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I get legit disappointed when a rules set doesn't somehow punish the player for fielding a Tiger.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Kai Tave posted:

I've discovered that anybody who mythologizes Nazi tanks instead of understanding that they were frequently terribly engineered, costly, hard to use, and not nearly the superior wunderwaffe they get made out to be is more often than not the sort of person likely to fetishize other bits of Nazi Germany. I don't know if it's a 100% overlap on the Venn diagram, but actual military history nerds seem less likely to fall into that trap than somebody who has uncomfortable ideas about the coolness of Nazis.

What's funny is that these people often have no idea about things like M18/M36 tank destroyers or 76mm Sherman cannons. Frankly I'm amazed more people don't know about our 50MPH Tiger killers.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jakodee posted:

Can I nominate “anyone who is really, REALLY into Gary Gygax as a person as, not a fascist as such, but deeply weird and likely fash adjacent?

Gygax basically used D&D to hang out and smoke pot (one of my friends personally knew him when he was living in Lake Geneva), so I'm not so sure fascist is the first thing that pops in most peoples head.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

LordAba posted:

Gygax basically used D&D to hang out and smoke pot (one of my friends personally knew him when he was living in Lake Geneva), so I'm not so sure fascist is the first thing that pops in most peoples head.

Yeah and obviously Gygax smoking pot with people means... something... and therefor he could not be a lovely authoritarian who seriously used Wounded Knee as an example of how Paladins would act. Simple logic, really

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Darwinism posted:

Yeah and obviously Gygax smoking pot with people means... something... and therefor he could not be a lovely authoritarian who seriously used Wounded Knee as an example of how Paladins would act. Simple logic, really

Pretty sure most people know him as "that cool D&D guy that smokes pot on Futurama" rather than not, so yeah. It means maybe don't automatically label fans of his as facists?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Kai Tave posted:

Nazi-era German engineering could be summed up as "good, remarkably forward-thinking ideas implemented in the most inexplicable and most dumbfoundingly stupid and counterproductive ways"

The ideas sounded good on paper (or in a history book describing them, I suppose), but anyone who thinks Nazis made actual good battlefield weapons that could even hope to keep up with the practical and rugged equipment the Allies made in a real combat situation is suspect, IMO.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

LordAba posted:

Pretty sure most people know him as "that cool D&D guy that smokes pot on Futurama" rather than not, so yeah. It means maybe don't automatically label fans of his as facists?

Nobody did that.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

LordAba posted:

lol here we are chatting about fascists in trad gaming and look who's shown up to go "b-b-b-but maybe we shouldn't be too quick to jump to conclusions about people being fascists, sometimes it's fine to say you're cool with putting kids in camps"

Beasts of War responded to me (or Warren did anyway, from his personal account) and I got a p. standard "huh well politics is hard huh, we'll look into it I guess!!!" response. :shrug:

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

LordAba posted:

I think its blatantly obvious why you're defending fash.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

LordAba posted:

Maybe you should stay out of discussions about fascists. Did you think we all forgot about you?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Nobody did that.

Jakodee was literally saying that (or fascist adjacent, whatever that means) on the last page.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

LordAba posted:

Jakodee was literally saying that (or fascist adjacent, whatever that means) on the last page.

Go back and read it again.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

LordAba posted:

Hey why is your AV a spinning nazi logo and vomiting space marine?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I wonder what it could be

quote:

It's not a good solution, but likening them to concentration camps is jumping the shark. At least call it what it is: jailing I don't agree with. Unless you can post some info that says the living conditions of these people are subhuman or they are being detained for no reason (even if you don't agree with being arrested for illegal entry, doesn't mean it isn't a reason).
Ironically the fact that children are separated from their children isn't even a Trump thing. It's just he is enforcing it with zero tolerance, meaning that parents are being prosecuted for crimes. This unfortunately was legislated to mean separation of child and parent.

https://www.vox.com/2018/6/21/17488...paration-border

So, contact your local representatives and put pressure on judges to allow families to stay together during prosecution. Make sure they are following the detain times, or pressure people to change them. Even if you don't agree with the deportation, burying your head in the sand to the laws already on the book and saying "my nazis" isn't going to change anything. This was only a matter of time, and there were plenty of times where is could have been changed. Be active in your government, or risk being reactive.

At least get the newspapers to stop taking pictures of kids that aren't even being detained / separated and making them poster-children of this movement. There are at least two cases of this, the most infamous being the Times cover. No wonder people don't trust the media.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Go back and read it again.

quote:

Can I nominate “anyone who is really, REALLY into Gary Gygax as a person as, not a fascist as such, but deeply weird and likely fash adjacent?

I mean, I guess it depends on what you mean by "really really into Gary as a person", cause there is an obvious disconnect from "I've hung out with him and he is a cool guy" and "I've read all his racist/authoritarian stuff".
Technically jakodee wasn't advocating for automatically labeling either, so I apologies for that.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

LordAba posted:

I mean, I guess it depends on what you mean by "really really into Gary as a person", cause there is an obvious disconnect from "I've hung out with him and he is a cool guy" and "I've read all his racist/authoritarian stuff".
Technically jakodee wasn't advocating for automatically labeling either, so I apologies for that.

Do you think other people can't see your avatar or something? Like, try to ignore people all you want but everyone sort of knows where you stand when it comes to fash.

Pendent fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 26, 2019

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

LordAba posted:

So you're into him as a fascist, or what?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

So you're into him as a fascist, or what?

Nope, in fact I don't know much about his political beliefs. He made a cool game and I've heard fun stories about his gaming sessions (plus stories from his brother at a couple cons in Madison). He's in the milieu of nerd culture, not as some sort of fascist headpiece.
I'm sure he said some dumb poo poo, and people who follow him for that are idiots.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Corrode posted:

I wonder what it could be

There really are some horrid people in this hobby...

LordAba posted:

Nope, in fact I don't know much about his political beliefs. He made a cool game and I've heard fun stories about his gaming sessions (plus stories from his brother at a couple cons in Madison). He's in the milieu of nerd culture, not as some sort of fascist headpiece.
I'm sure he said some dumb poo poo, and people who follow him for that are idiots.

:stare:

I'm sure lots of bad people have done a couple of fun things/smoked a bit of weed too, it doesn't cancel it out like some fascist carbon offset, and most people would stop defending them.

Chiwie posted:

Hey why is your AV a spinning nazi logo and vomiting space marine?

Ah... that's why.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Oh well this is awkward. You saw the title and thought it was a goonmeet didn't you?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

LordAba posted:

Mors Rattus posted:

https://twitter.com/FreyjaErlings/status/1106279415825293314

Here's a quote from a Forgotten Realms source at least, and an AD&D one.

gently caress Gary Gygax and also you’re an idiot bootlicker.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I got a reply back from Green Stuff World:

quote:

Hello,

Apologies for the late reply, we have been very busy lately. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We have explained our thought process behind adding this symbol to our Dark Runes replying to your tweet. Unfortunately we were oblivious as to its use by the SS and its prevalence in alt-right and white supremacist culture today. This was absolutely not our intention. We stand against all forms of hatred and bigotry, and we're sorry if this has caused any offence.

Kind regards,
Tomás Prior

https://twitter.com/greenstuffworld/status/1121707957903867907

So...I don't know. It seems hard to stumble across this kind of thing on accident, but it is technically possible so I'm willing to call the case closed if they're willing to actually denounce hate and promised to rework the deign in the future. I asked them if they have an ETA on that rework for people who might want to buy the edited version, so we'll see. I'm willing to say it's probably a misunderstanding. That said they only seemed to reply once you guys started turning the screws on Twitter. :/

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

richyp posted:

I'm sure lots of bad people have done a couple of fun things/smoked a bit of weed too, it doesn't cancel it out like some fascist carbon offset, and most people would stop defending them.

I think you missed the point... which was that many people don't know that side of him, so branding people a certain way based on if they like Gary or not is pretty disingenuous.

Though fairly recently a native american activist group got in touch with Target and Noble Knight games to get an offensive board game taken down, so there are routes you can take if you think D&D has some lingering traces of it.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 26, 2019

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Deified Data posted:

So...I don't know. It seems hard to stumble across this kind of thing on accident, but it is technically possible so I'm willing to call the case closed if they're willing to actually denounce hate and promised to rework the deign in the future. I asked them if they have an ETA on that rework for people who might want to buy the edited version, so we'll see. I'm willing to say it's probably a misunderstanding. That said they only seemed to reply once you guys started turning the screws on Twitter. :/

I don't think you could accidentally run across the Black Sun image, or mistake it for being actually Norse because it literally first shows up when Heinrich Himmler decided to remodel a castle, but it is possible that one of their sculptors slipped it past them with that as a story.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
Wondered how long it would take Aba to show up...

Deified Data posted:

Yeah it sucks that it took more than a few people but at least there's a response and it's a positive one. Good job everyone.

Corrode posted:

lol here we are chatting about fascists in trad gaming and look who's shown up to go "b-b-b-but maybe we shouldn't be too quick to jump to conclusions about people being fascists, sometimes it's fine to say you're cool with putting kids in camps"

Beasts of War responded to me (or Warren did anyway, from his personal account) and I got a p. standard "huh well politics is hard huh, we'll look into it I guess!!!" response. :shrug:

This on the other hand is disappointing as poo poo. What's he gonna look into?

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

This thread is doing good work. Thank you everyone.

I think there is a bunch of willful ignorance and path of least resistance in the general wargaming. I think often dudes think that since it doesn't hurt me directly, and calling the dude out would be socially difficult.

I mean, this happened to me at a local gamestore, the dude was the owner's buddy and he found out I played orks, we brought up how he wanted to make a nazi ork army from kromlech, and how funny it would be, like as a joke, haha. It was real weird, I wasn't sure how to react and I haven't been back.

Also, Fascism defenders please log off.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Be like "yeah haha Nazis are basically subhuman troglodytes huh like a joke haha"

Which is a huge insult to the Orks, who are precious and pure (in a good way) but whatevs

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
This thread loving rules. My brother and I would honeypot dipshits at our local store because he painted his German army in neon pink and the Wehraboos couldn't help but trip over their own dicks to defend the tiny plastic Nazi honor. Always call these assholes out because surprise, they're all giant cowards and are used to being in settings where people just stay quiet and try to ignore them until they go away and anyone telling them to gently caress off is a huge shock to them.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
This is why every historical player needs a Nazi army.

There is something to the old wargaming philosophy that not every faction needs to be viable and some for lack of a better word should be designed to lose more than they win. Nazi armies should be in the hands of people who enjoy losing with them, like Goblins in Bloodbowl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I can't really speak to historical stuff except to say that I don't think I could be comfortable playing a WW2 historical at all, even without the wehraboos. It's too...personal, too close, for me. It's much easier for me to look at fantasy and sci fi wargames in general for that reason.