Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That's a good post. A lot more effort into it than I would have put while responding to someone concern trolling, but still informative nonetheless. Best way to debunk that "historical accuracy!" dogwhistle is to cite history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timn
Mar 16, 2010

mdct posted:

What, are you annoyed that I'm mad about racists? Go gently caress yourself.

You have useful information, but being mad is only thing you're accomplishing with it. Nobody with a different opinion is going to learn anything from a dude frothing at the mouth with a wall of text. You're not helping make it better like that.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I'm sorry, do you think people change their mind on reading a coddling-written essay? Do you think that the scores of people learning to hate others for arbitrary reasons do so because they're reading people calmly explain "You should hate brown people because they're not human"? That they say that garbage as kindly and sensibly as possible?

Absolutely not. The most convincing argument is always done from a place of emotion, and guess what, being fuckin' mad is the best way to do it. If it works for the good old fashioned bigots of the world, why shouldn't anyone else do it? Civility is a fake-rear end concept to keep people quiet.

So I'm going to just reiterate go gently caress yourself.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

timn posted:

You have useful information, but being mad is only thing you're accomplishing with it. Nobody with a different opinion is going to learn anything from a dude frothing at the mouth with a wall of text. You're not helping make it better like that.

It's the games subforum of somethingawful, nothing of note is being accomplished regardless of tone. gently caress off with this horseshit troll

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

The devs are teasing a new weapon, the Polehammer. No word on stats / how it will play but my guess is it will be the maul with halberd/zwei range and an even more punishing miss lockout. Can't wait to get teamkilled by this bad-boy.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

have you seen my baby posted:

The devs are teasing a new weapon, the Polehammer. No word on stats / how it will play but my guess is it will be the maul with halberd/zwei range and an even more punishing miss lockout. Can't wait to get teamkilled by this bad-boy.

It looks like a huge can opener, cant wait to try it. Speaking of wich, is there a proper armour penetration mechanic in the game? I played for some time, but never really thought about it. The halberd alternative attack turns the spike around but i havent seen any benefits of using that agaisnt armour.

mdct posted:

This is complete protector-of-european-purity horseshit.

Uh, what, did you just call me a racist?

timn posted:

I think what we're more likely seeing here is western people and western media speaking to what they know. We're familiar with the issue of white supremacists co-opting those historical sources, so we're pretty sensitive to how those settings are portrayed in media.

What most of us aren't familiar with are the racial politics of other non-western societies and how that's influenced by the modern potrayal of their own historical settings. That doesn't necessarily mean there's nothing to think critically about there or that a double-standard is being intentionally applied, but it could be a good opportunity for us to reflect and check our blindspots.

Thanks for a coherent and non hostile response. I do wish this debate wasnt just a uniquely western phenomen. There are a lot of other nations out there with some serious denial issues of their past, who could do with a open and frank debate in regards to the people who contributed to their own history. Especially in these times where historical movies, games and tv show is increasingly popular all over the world.

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 28, 2020

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

GyverMac posted:

It looks like a huge can opener, cant wait to try it. Speaking of wich, is there a proper armour penetration mechanic in the game? I played for some time, but never really thought about it. The halberd alternative attack turns the spike around but i havent seen any benefits of using that agaisnt armour.

Every weapon does different damage to different armor levels, but all of these are laid out explicitly instead of following a penetration mechanic. Blunt weapons tend to be more effective against armor than slashing weapons. When you look at a weapon in the armory you can click on the "advanced" button which will show you the damage the weapon does to every body part for every armor level (in addition to a mind-numbing array of other stats that you don't really need to learn in order to enjoy the game)

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Which other cultures specifically are you talking about

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Glenn Quebec posted:

Which other cultures specifically are you talking about

Typo, i meant nations

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Ok what nations

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Glenn Quebec posted:

Ok what nations

I think I know what you are doing here but gently caress it, ill bite. Examples of countries who could really do with an open debate about their history include(but are not limited to): Turkey, China, Japan, Pakistan, Iran.

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 28, 2020

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

GyverMac posted:

Uh, what, did you just call me a racist?

If you don't want to be called a racist then don't use textbook racist dogwhistling. If you're genuinely unaware that that's all it is, then sure, I apologize - but also now you know.

Edit: like, okay, I'll be honest here - the reason why this is the case is that "but when will everyone else recognize that xenophobia and historical revisionism is bad??" has the unspoken added implication "until they do it too, I don't have to admit it". Yes, every country in the world should face their history and past and accept that other human beings have always existed, but you know what doesn't need to come up when we're talking about the ethnic homogeneity or relative lack thereof in Europe? That same topic of the rest of the world - just like how if we were to talk about Japan's historical contact and poor treatment of Koreans, Chinese, their own other non-Yamato native peoples etc, bringing up "but also England in India, though" is irrelevant. There's an entire name for this as a logical fallacy - it's called Whataboutism, and is like propaganda 101 - which is why it's a white supremacist dog whistle.

mdct fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 28, 2020

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

just to throw in my 2 cents again, there is absolutely no reason they can't add in other skin tones - the devs stated something along the lines that they "wanted to make new faces that fit the new skin tones". As awesome as it would be, they don't even need to add in non-western european weapons/armor. as much as I would love to chamber spam people with a katar, slice into enemies with a shamshir or hurl a kpinga into somebody's skull, they could add in darker skin tones that would still look perfectly fine with the faces and hair currently in the game with next to no effort. it's not even about being all-inclusive to other cultures and you can argue about its historicity until you're blue in the face but the fact they haven't done it is a clear sign of

mdct posted:

protector-of-european-purity horseshit.

and the kind of community that cultures around this attitude pushes people away - i have seen people get votekicked and harassed out of servers for being openly non-white, either through directly stating it or having it in their public steam profile. there's a limited amount that can be done about this at this point, but by failing to follow through on this promise doesn't fill me with hope for things improving. They could add in auto-kicks for slurs on offical servers and allow custom servers to do the same - some of the people who would screech about freeze peach might abandon the game altogether or crowd into their own little safe spaces. the devs have the capability of affecting this at least to some degree but as far as I've seen, they have no interest in doing it

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

you sir are by far the worst racist i have ever...smelled

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

GyverMac posted:

I think I know what you are doing here but gently caress it, ill bite. Examples of countries who could really do with an open debate about their history include(but are not limited to): Turkey, China, Japan, Pakistan, Iran.

No one here would argue that those countries have repressive history.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

mdct posted:

If you don't want to be called a racist then don't use textbook racist dogwhistling. If you're genuinely unaware that that's all it is, then sure, I apologize - but also now you know.

Edit: like, okay, I'll be honest here - the reason why this is the case is that "but when will everyone else recognize that xenophobia and historical revisionism is bad??" has the unspoken added implication "until they do it too, I don't have to admit it". Yes, every country in the world should face their history and past and accept that other human beings have always existed, but you know what doesn't need to come up when we're talking about the ethnic homogeneity or relative lack thereof in Europe? That same topic of the rest of the world - just like how if we were to talk about Japan's historical contact and poor treatment of Koreans, Chinese, their own other non-Yamato native peoples etc, bringing up "but also England in India, though" is irrelevant. There's an entire name for this as a logical fallacy - it's called Whataboutism, and is like propaganda 101 - which is why it's a white supremacist dog whistle.

Yeah, I think I see your point, i hate "whataboutism" in general so yeah, I understand how my question looked like it was leading up to that. :P And no, it wasnt a "racist dogwhistle" or whatever. It was a genuine question from me.

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Apr 29, 2020

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

timn posted:

He's making the thread less of a safe space for racists wanting to spread misinformation. Which is of course a good thing- and his mood doesn't have any bearing on how right or wrong he is. (He's right).

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Midgetskydiver posted:

He's making the thread less of a safe space for racists wanting to spread misinformation. Which is of course a good thing- and his mood doesn't have any bearing on how right or wrong he is. (He's right).

Yeah please point out where these racists spread wanted to spread misinformation TIA

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

by posting in this thread you've agreed that white people are the only people who have ever existed, actually. it's in the thread OP's terms of service.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Have we reached the realization that all of recorded history is racist, and that we, in turn, are all subconsciously racist? And that all media is also racist? Or are we still trying to post feel good Facebook stories to pretend we aren’t and argue over the internet who is the most “woke”?”, while actually doing nothing about racism?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I just wanna be able to play people who look like me in the sword videogame bro

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Buschmaki posted:

I just wanna be able to play people who look like me in the sword videogame bro

This is why i'm glad mordhau lets me play as a fat nerd.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

VulgarandStupid posted:

Have we reached the realization that all of recorded history is racist, and that we, in turn, are all subconsciously racist? And that all media is also racist? Or are we still trying to post feel good Facebook stories to pretend we aren’t and argue over the internet who is the most “woke”?”, while actually doing nothing about racism?

no we haven't because modern conceptions of racism don't project back well past the 1600s or so, and absolutely make no sense before then. hth with your continuing meltdown

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
also the typical racism in a game of Mordhau is very, uh, conscious

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

dogstile posted:

This is why i'm glad mordhau lets me play as a fat nerd.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
I picked this up on summer sale.

I like being a spear guy on a horse. It’s fun.

I cannot fight 1v1 unless it’s against someone that is also a new guy like me. Game is hard. That’s why I just plink with arrows and ride my horses.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

SabinBlitz posted:

I picked this up on summer sale.

I like being a spear guy on a horse. It’s fun.

I cannot fight 1v1 unless it’s against someone that is also a new guy like me. Game is hard. That’s why I just plink with arrows and ride my horses.

you are valid.

New update(s?) were kinda cool, new poo poo to play with and a couple new experimental melee modes. Iunno games alright still and some of the players at least seem to have chilled on being big ol Gamers

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Is anyone else having an absolute bitch of a time after the latest update? The changes to parry timing and lunging mean that if you ever miss a swing or parry, it's almost impossible to recover from, and even with 120cm+ weapons I basically have to be standing on the enemies' toes or they just backpedal out of range for every single one of my swings.

I feel like this is starting to turn into Chiv where the only viable tactics are running in figure-eights with a Zweihander or spam-feinting with light thrusting weapons.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

also same.

i felt like i was middling to good before the patch, and now im just like bottom tier. im level 85 and consistently putting up 1:2 kdrs now...
could be that im hitting mad packet loss each match now tho. i stopped even trying with the 80 player matches

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

I feel the opposite, patch feels a bit better for me and think I enjoyed the changes. Then again i'm already running in figure eights with a haliberd and doing weird body contortions to dodge and body feint

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I just recently reinstalled the game and it feels pretty much the same as before to me, i.e. I'm just as garbage as I always was. Possibly a bit moreso even, because of being out of what little practice I ever had, and my reactions being worse due to constant tiredness from my sleep problems. But I still mostly have a good time, and after a few hours of being back I started doing a bit better again, even going above 1:1 KDR occasionally. Like most of the time I suck, but there are these... moments where things just click and I walk over five guys in a row, or beat two guys at once with my stupid light armor and bastard sword loadout.

Also a couple times I played the game live on Discord voice chat, and discovered that for some reason having a couple friends watching brought my overall stress and salt levels WAY down. Like things that normally have me yelling curses by myself just had me go like "Haha welp".

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

some of the players at least seem to have chilled on being big ol Gamers
I still keep chat disabled, but I do appreciate that almost every match still has some weirdo memelords goofing around, like naked dudes running around spamming HELP HELP and dudes standing on top of things playing Dragonforce with the lutebot and whatever.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

cosplayers and lutelords are truly the lifeblood of this game

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Dungeon Ecology posted:

True, except one of the recent patches borked Lutebot for me.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

yeah, i had to go into the init files and gently caress with some stuff to fix mine once

everyones out there playing like dragonforce and mortal kombat and stuff, so i decided to go meta with it and download some baroque and rennaisance lute MIDIS and now im out there like literally playing john dowland and g.f. handel on the battlefield. its glorious milord

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Dungeon Ecology posted:

I created a Warhammer witchunter class, and after some proselytizing in the chat, managed to gather both teams for a ceremony devoted to sigmar in the tower on Crossroads. It ended with some filthy chaos worshipper firing off the mortar in the middle of my sermon

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

SabinBlitz posted:

My main is an armored recursive bow build with a dagger backup. Anytime I respawn and see a horse up I take it. I've lost count of how many times I've had an amazing run with a horse and spear only to be called out by name in chat.

The fact of the matter is that horses can still shift the balance of a whole game, even after it's gotten (very needed) nerfs. I even think it should get another nerf by not allowing kills on horseback to give back HP. There are plenty of counters to it and the people who whine don't understand that the resources on the map at there to be utilized.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
How's the game in Oct 2020, should I be getting into it now? Is it possible to play it without feeling like a sore loser, or should you expect to hate yourself for the first few months?

Vomitorium
Oct 2, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
um.. if you wanna get better its not hard. You just go to the duel servers and to 1v1s and watch videos and learnt to feint and not panic block. It's still the most 'skill based' combat around and the servers here in Australia are full of people so yeah, if you wanna cut cunts it's easily the best option.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

DreadCthulhu posted:

How's the game in Oct 2020, should I be getting into it now? Is it possible to play it without feeling like a sore loser, or should you expect to hate yourself for the first few months?

it's still hard tho. i think it varies from player to player how much punishment you're willing to put up with.
if you want to be 'good' at the game, then yeah queue up 1v1 and gnash your teeth until you get the timings right. if you want to have fun with the game, download lutebot and frankensteiner and dont worry about what scores you put up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Just checkin' in if, in the year 2020, more than a year and a half since this game released, it allows you to play as anything but a white dude still?
I've had my arguments in here and I'm good as far as having another one goes, I just like to check in periodically about it.