Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Imagine calling windmilling "skill" lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

or a loving special move like he's out there doing kano-balls and hadoukens

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Babe Magnet posted:

the thing in chivalry where you equip a zweihander, and turn around the exact moment your overhead attack begins so you hit them at full strength instantly with the startup

Also know as the thing, alongside helicoptering, that completely ruined Chivalry combat lol

Ah, I think I quit playing Chivalry before I saw too much of that. So that guy is complaining that the devs tried to mitigate bullshit that's isn't fun to play against.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

WTF is a backwards overhead?

Also the game seemed playable to me at 300 ping, but maybe I got super lucky or don't know what last feels like in the game yet.

I was only able to try one game so far, had about 140 ping and my attacks would just phase through people. I was also being ignored by the other team even if I was right in front of them and couldn't pickup weapons or items.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Ah, I think I quit playing Chivalry before I saw too much of that. So that guy is complaining that the devs tried to mitigate bullshit that's isn't fun to play against.

yeah pretty much. He's mad because he spent a lot of time getting good at buggy exploits that pretty much destroyed the small community of people trying to take the game seriously and now none of that practice is going to carry over into a game where the devs actually give a poo poo about curbing stuff like that lol

Also, apparently progression is starting to work for some people, according to the steam forums.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Sonel posted:

I was only able to try one game so far, had about 140 ping and my attacks would just phase through people. I was also being ignored by the other team even if I was right in front of them and couldn't pickup weapons or items.

Weird. Maybe I was lucky. Actually I think this was in a horde game, so maybe hit detection is handled differently in that. I did play a game at 80 ping that seemed completely fine.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

He still played for 50 hours, though. :lol:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I remember in Chivalry, I remember the whirldwind of the spinny zweihander. Unstoppable.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Glenn Quebec posted:

I remember in Chivalry, I remember the whirldwind of the spinny zweihander. Unstoppable.

I kind of remember seeing them but what I remember more was the deadliest warrior dlc where if you weren't a Spartan or samurai you were dead.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I remember getting Chivalry as part of a humble bundle a few years ago and found it really fun until I graduated from the newbie servers and just about instantly uninstalled when I saw how dumb everything looked when experienced players were involved. With that bad poo poo shaved off I imagine this will probably be a big time-sink for me.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

This is a very cool game

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Forbidden secrets: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1640297858

putting in the in OP

if anyone has any more tips or tricks I'll put them in the OP

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 30, 2019

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Is there any way in the character creator to see what you'll look like with red/blue team colors?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
What is the best primary to go with firebomb secondary/tertiary

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The answer to any "what's the best weapon to" is always The Lute

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Gotta say, bear traps seem like a kinda dumb addition. Particularly when combined with archer platforms that have only a single ladder leading up to them.

Anyhow, a lesson in why helmets are important:
https://i.imgur.com/Ajoj4ta.mp4

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah that's one of the tips I added to the OP, wear a fuckin helmet or be prepared to get dunked on

helmetless Cool Sword Mans are the reason I'm constantly throwing poo poo at people

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 30, 2019

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
peasant is rough mostly because they don't have a helmet

one thing I'm kinda disappointed in so far is there seems like every incentive in the world to go full heavy armor. you go slower, yea, but you take a l o t less damage and only frontlines has any real dedicated running around. All the skirmish maps are pretty small.

I could play a foppish rogue with a rapier or estoc or whatever it actually is in this and dodge around and constantly press X to flourish or I could just be the guy spamming laugh as every swing does ten hp, tops.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

peasant is rough mostly because they don't have a helmet

one thing I'm kinda disappointed in so far is there seems like every incentive in the world to go full heavy armor. you go slower, yea, but you take a l o t less damage and only frontlines has any real dedicated running around. All the skirmish maps are pretty small.

I could play a foppish rogue with a rapier or estoc or whatever it actually is in this and dodge around and constantly press X to flourish or I could just be the guy spamming laugh as every swing does ten hp, tops.

For the sake of realism the game should be about 5 players in full armor that are entirely impervious to everything but hammers or stab damage in the visor, and everybody else is peasants.

A horrible tide of peasants.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

im having some real problems actually joining servers, both frontlines servers werre pretty laggy as well despite my 40 ping. the dm server i joined was fine, but i find non team based modes pretty dull

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Was there a new patch deployed today? Steam is showing I haven't downloaded one but I'm hearing there was one. Also I can't edit my characters for some reason now. Everything is locked.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Everyone's stuff is locked out, yeah. I think it's because they're getting ready to deploy a patch to try and fix some of the progression issues, and part of that is going to be resetting everyone's unlocks (and setting them to level 5 and giving everyone 5000 gold), so they don't want anyone buying any more gear.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Davincie posted:

im having some real problems actually joining servers, both frontlines servers werre pretty laggy as well despite my 40 ping. the dm server i joined was fine, but i find non team based modes pretty dull

in the fight screen up top there's a server browser, user that instead. you want a skirmish game. you have to manually refresh and then it takes ten seconds or so to actually populate

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

that's what ive been doing since the matchmaking did nothing for me.

i get a lot of failed to join server/server just filled up while youre joining. one time i even got kicked from a server i was already in when it changed maps with a server full warning!

Sundance Shot
Oct 24, 2010

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

What is the best primary to go with firebomb secondary/tertiary

A dagger if you want to block or your fists if you're feeling spicy. Enjoy beating a knight in full plate armor to death with your bare hands while you're both on fire.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Zweihanders might stand a bit of tweaking but this game is still really good.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I think I just slapped an arrow out of the sky by swinging at it holy poo poo I feel like a jedi

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Babe Magnet posted:

yeah that's one of the tips I added to the OP, wear a fuckin helmet or be prepared to get dunked on

helmetless Cool Sword Mans are the reason I'm constantly throwing poo poo at people

Ive seen at least three Geralts getting owned, but also some chinese guy with no shirt and a peasant hat who topped the scoreboards somehow

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

China numba won

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Helpful review! I have purchased the game based on this negative review.

"can't do special moves like backwards overhand" lol get the gently caress out of here

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Sundance Shot posted:

Enjoy beating a knight in full plate armor to death with your bare hands while you're both on fire.

I've got half this down

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Trip report: the maul is a pretty cool guy and can cave in skulls with one hit even through a level 3 helmet.
Also bandages are crazy fast to use and only cost 1 point, wow I should throw these on more loadouts.
e: Although part of my perceived need for these is because I didn't realize sprinting stopped health regen before so I was never healing outside of fights.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 1, 2019

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Babe Magnet posted:

I think I just slapped an arrow out of the sky by swinging at it holy poo poo I feel like a jedi

I've done that with a mace and it feels amazing

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
One thing I miss from Chivalry is the bug where burning corpses would Never Stop Screaming.

Other than that, this game is the goddamn tits.

All hail The Lute.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Comrayn posted:

This is always the case in high skill cap games that aren’t just FPS. People who are good seem to be on a mission to crush everyone else and ruin the game for everyone ensuring it dies before any kind of critical mass of people get into it. I don’t get it but there’s always people who just want to feel like the big man playing god mode or whatever. They did at least fix the stupid helicopter overhead smash moves and all that from chivalry right?

What.

Are you some kind of roleplayer or something?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm roleplaying as a guy who leaves beartraps everywhere.

playing the engineer is real good, put spike walls around corners and you'll rack up kills from dudes just sprinting everywhere

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Mordhau: This is a hack n slash lute game

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I PM'd Videogames to change the thread title, should happen any time now. I went with Chivalry is Dead lol

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I loved War of the Roses and I loved Mount and Blade but did not particularly like Chivalry which felt kind of... simple. I am not saying it is bad or you are bad for enjoying it, but it was not my cup of tea. Maybe that is not it, but there is something about Chivalry's combat I just did not like much.

How do you feel this stacks up to any of those games?

How complicated is the active parrying and blocking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
This game is rad but I want to play online too.