Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Oh man, cutting a dudes leg off and watching him bounce around for a couple seconds before falling over is one of the funniest things ever. Also pretty great is having someone lop your arm off and then killing that guy with a punch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scope
Jun 6, 2003

Diogines posted:

I loved War of the Roses and I loved Mount and Blade but did not particularly like Chivalry which felt kind of... simple. I am not saying it is bad or you are bad for enjoying it, but it was not my cup of tea. Maybe that is not it, but there is something about Chivalry's combat I just did not like much.

How do you feel this stacks up to any of those games?

How complicated is the active parrying and blocking?

I have a post on the first page that kinda touches on this, but the summary is the combat in Mordhau is more transparent as to what is going on in an attack. You can tell what swing is coming and have a chance to defend against it. Chivalry felt a lot more chaotic to me and often I couldn’t tell why one attack would connect and another wouldn’t.

Orv
May 4, 2011
If the main thrust (a ha) of your problems is no directional blocking then Mordhau isn't going to solve that.

If your main issue was clarity of combat, Mordhau solves that brilliantly.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Discord just posted that xp and rewards should start working now.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
From the games discord:

@everyone Back end server is back online, rewards should be processed again. Some servers might be still having issues until we sort them out. Restart your game if unlocking in the armory doesn't work

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Can we buy poo poo yet or is that still locked?

e: oh dope it's working for me, restarting definitely works. time for knight dress-up, everyone post those sword barbies

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
The interface for getting into a game is a pain in the rear end. It takes forever for either matchmaking to find a game or the server browser to update the list and if it decides the game is full while you're in the loading screen then you get to repeat the process all over again.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Gobblecoque posted:

The interface for getting into a game is a pain in the rear end. It takes forever for either matchmaking to find a game or the server browser to update the list and if it decides the game is full while you're in the loading screen then you get to repeat the process all over again.

Its a known issue and it sucks balls

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
i really liked chivalry back in the day and mount and blade. . . but computer...not so good. im on the fence. if its going to run poorly, no good. if it's well optimized i'll buy it right now.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Pulcinella di Bund posted:

i really liked chivalry back in the day and mount and blade. . . but computer...not so good. im on the fence. if its going to run poorly, no good. if it's well optimized i'll buy it right now.

Things like this are why refunds exist, honestly. It'll take you far less than the two hours to find out.

For what it's worth it seems extremely well optimized as long as you stick to servers that are doing what the devs built the game to do. 64+ player servers get pretty funky.

Orv fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 1, 2019

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Orv posted:

Things like this are why refunds exist, honestly. It'll take you far less than the two hours to find out.

it's true. . .i have used refund when the game ran like poo poo. . .are there any bad computer havers in here tho?

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I got to play for about twenty minutes and technical issues aside the game seems to be what everyone hoped it was. Game owns jump in and huck an axe at a nerd

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Game runs really well for an Unreal 4 game lol

Apparently the lead dev codes on a GTX560 to make sure the required specs are low.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
i have bought the game. if it isn't everything i always wanted, i blame the OP . . .

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

fair

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I'd wait until they sorted out their server issues

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah the progression may be mostly resolved but they're still getting blown the gently caress up server-wise. You can use the browser without a ton of issues though.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Babe Magnet posted:

yeah the progression may be mostly resolved but they're still getting blown the gently caress up server-wise. You can use the browser without a ton of issues though.

Unless you're me and nothing populates for some reason

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah don't try it if you're glenn quebec

I think I read somewhere that it could take up to a minute to populate, but if even that doesn't work that sucks

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Stokes posted:

Discord just posted that xp and rewards should start working now.

It's not for me, tried restarting and I can buy stuff but still no xp/credit rewards.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Glenn Quebec posted:

I'd wait until they sorted out their server issues

lol it's downloading right now. . .

and i've bought WAY dumber games before (anybody ever heard of the Isle)

dinosaurs and cannibals!!! oh wait, that was promised in 2015

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Babe Magnet posted:

huh strange, a friend an I had zero luck using the server browser tonight. Literally nothing ever showed up.

However the matchmaking feature did work, go figure.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
This game is good but really hard. Fun but challenging.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Mordhau is a game of contrasts

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

And if you manage to get into a game you get some killer lag. It was actually pretty fine a few hours ago but it's drat near unplayable right now for me so I think imma call it a night.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Having played all the classes I have to say I'm really enjoying the footman. Spearing people in the head through their stupid plate is satisfying and running up and shoving it up some guys rear end is even better.

I had a guy throw an ax into my chest, so I took it out and threw it back at him.

A guy on a horse took my head off with a lance and I watch my body disappear into the distance as my head rolled down a hill.

So what I'm saying is it's a great game and once the lag issues are resolved will be my crack.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

0 servers are showing up on the browser in the browser, is the server responsible for the browser down?

CupNoodleKing
Feb 17, 2011

Yesterday I was clicking heads with my spear and someone threw an axe at me as I was thrusting and it knocked the axe out of the air. Good game.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Stretch Marx posted:

Having played all the classes I have to say I'm really enjoying the footman. Spearing people in the head through their stupid plate is satisfying and running up and shoving it up some guys rear end is even better.

I had a guy throw an ax into my chest, so I took it out and threw it back at him.

A guy on a horse took my head off with a lance and I watch my body disappear into the distance as my head rolled down a hill.

So what I'm saying is it's a great game and once the lag issues are resolved will be my crack.
Can you wield a spear and shield, or are all spears two handed weapons?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

there is a 1handed short spear. it's really good

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Diogines posted:

0 servers are showing up on the browser in the browser, is the server responsible for the browser down?

no its up, you just need to hit the refresh button and wait a bit (it's slow) - I usually alt tab out

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

First life, four kills popping heads with the two handed spear. As a devoted spear player in similar games, I give this game an A+ review.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Diogines posted:

It seems to be blank until you hit the refresh button. And even after that there's no loading indicator so it'll look blank and broken for about 5 seconds before it populates with the info.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

I spent a round hitting the same spot with a catapult over and over and they didn't learn at all.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I don't have any clue what do do against dudes with shields other than run around to hit them in the back while they're fighting a teammate or just swingswingswing and hope for them to just randomly not block.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
This game should probably feature an ability to mute and/or kick a dude from chat. Nothing like a 14 year old dropping n bombs for a half hour straight.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I don't have any clue what do do against dudes with shields other than run around to hit them in the back while they're fighting a teammate or just swingswingswing and hope for them to just randomly not block.

Front kick into a stab works well for me. Baiting them into attacking works too. Eventually their stamina will run out from blocking.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Glenn Quebec posted:

Front kick into a stab works well for me. Baiting them into attacking works too. Eventually their stamina will run out from blocking.

The problem with kicks is that they only hit if you're basically rubbing chins with each other (and even then, if they're moving backwards it'll still whiff). Most shield dudes know to keep a little distance so I can't land a kick unless they're backed up into a corner.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

What weapon are you using? I think wailing on them until their stamina is gone works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

So here's my short review for other people considering getting it. I played for a few hours tonight. A little bit of lag but no technical problems and no bugs. I did not particularly like Chvalry but I'm a big fan of Mountain Blade and War of the roses. The combat in thks game feels much more fluid and just more fun than Chivalry. The ability to pick a wide variety of weapons and combine them with a variety armor is also a nice change from Chivalry, though it is not as complex as War of the Roses.

Basically, you get a point buy system on which you can equip a variety of weapons, armor, auxiliary equipment and also a variety of special abilities or perks. You can combine them however you want as long as you don't spend more than a certain number of points on one character. You can unlock new items with gold, there is no real grind. I was able to unlock several different weapons that I want it on my first place session. How much gear you have and how heavy it is affect your movement speed.

Prettier items cost more gold and require more play time but that is more about customizing your character than being locked out of powerful items, you are not locked out of quote-unquote powerful gear, though what is powerful is subjective. I was very thoroughly rocking people in light armor with a shield and spear as a lot of other people were swinging around two handed greatswords in full plate. after my first play session I was able to unlock enough stuff to build my satisfaction, a spear and shield user, a pike user and crossbowmen. right out of the gate you can also play like a dozen different types of characters, stock characters, with different styles of weapons and armor.

There is a wide variety for how you can dress your character, both things which affect stats and things which are purely cosmetic. You can make your character stand out quite a bit. So far I only played Frontline which is where you compete over capturing objectives but I found it to be quite fun.

If you enjoy these style of games I would suggest buying this one.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 1, 2019