Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/988905978056896512

(thread)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
when i was 13 i put an rpc to launch a ton of calculators in an aol prog i made. in a way it was kind of enterprise software

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
no thats web scale

to be enterprise it would need to be SOAP

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

A lot of digital ink (or “digi-ink” as the kids say these days) has been spilled focusing on how Tay sucks, but this was actually p.deece?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Schadenboner posted:

A lot of digital ink (or “digi-ink” as the kids say these days) has been spilled focusing on how Tay sucks, but this was actually p.deece?

yeah, its hit or miss and they often attempt to criticize things well outside their area of expertise and look like idiots for it. Some of it is good though. I suspect multiple people are running it these days

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

yeah, its hit or miss and they often attempt to criticize things well outside their area of expertise and look like idiots for it. Some of it is good though. I suspect multiple people are running it these days

at the risk of wasting more digital ink: swiftonsec is just a windows CJ IRL who started re-posting infosec stuff under a gimmick account but then they got high on their own farts and decided that they are now a part of the infosec community despite having zero contributions to said community. this leads to funny situations as you mentioned.

also that linked tweet thread is exhaustingly boring

playground tough posted:

I had to point out to the vendor of a backend service I’m implementing for a client that their POST operation did not respond with a reference to the object it created.

This was sorted out via their engineers tweaking the client’s configuration...

Then I had to specifically ask for an SSL endpoint for this service, which is capable of processing payment information

Is this enterprise grade?

if it was enterprise the engineers would have refused to accommodate your requirements.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

MononcQc posted:

enterprise grade is a web app that won't work on mobile and a mobile app that's clearly just a web page but both won't support the same feature set.

enterprise grade is a web app that reloads the entire page every time there's a ui click

pram
Jun 10, 2001
imagine taylor swift but infosec. epic. EPIC

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
enterprise grade means needing a java and a vpn client on windows to connect to a training desktop

actually that's just oracle being poo poo, even ibm switched to guacamole a few years ago

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

pram posted:

imagine taylor swift but infosec. epic. EPIC

taylor swift sucks, carly rae jepsen is a TREASURE!!! :colbert:

Perplx posted:

enterprise grade means needing a java and a vpn client on windows to connect to a training desktop

actually that's just oracle being poo poo, even ibm switched to guacamole a few years ago

specifically jre6 and the vpn is pptp. now it's enterprise!

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 16, 2019

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

enterprise grade means using checkboxes as radio buttons

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Sweevo posted:

enterprise grade means using comboboxes as radio buttons

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

no thats web scale

to be enterprise it would need to be SOAP

fortunately no 2 SOAP implementations are compatible, otherwise it might have been good

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

love to edit autogenerated code so that my requests don't time out

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
enterprise grade is "end of life" warnings popping up everywhere on the UI, but the software is on the latest version

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

enterprise means some lovely web form where if you mistype a field the thing unrecoverably deadlocks and you have to scrub the whole thing and start over

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

It's an application with a managed runtime but loads of memory leaks

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

enterprise means some lovely web form where if you mistype a field the thing unrecoverably deadlocks and you have to scrub the whole thing and start over

It silently logs you out after 15min, you find out after attempting to submit at which point you have to start again.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

enterprise grade creates a popup window saying you will be logged out due to inactivity, press OK to continue session but then you press it and it takes you back to the logon screen every time

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

enterprise grade is when it clears what you typed in the userid field if you mistype your password at logon

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

enterprise grade is when you attempt to open a second tab on the same site that you're already logged in to and it takes you to the login prompt despite already being authed and it also kills auth to that other session

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I'm mostly talking about CA here who can burn in hell

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

enterprise grade creates a popup window saying you will be logged out due to inactivity, press OK to continue session but then you press it and it takes you back to the logon screen every time

enterprise grade is when it clears what you typed in the userid field if you mistype your password at logon

enterprise grade is when you attempt to open a second tab on the same site that you're already logged in to and it takes you to the login prompt despite already being authed and it also kills auth to that other session

gently caress

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

it’s too real

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

lol absolutely

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

enterprise grade is finally unveiling a web portal you can access from anywhere but all the information in fact links to documents in a central legacy sharepoint intranet you need a VPN to connect to, which in turn requires some authorized dinosaur laptop or installing a phone app that needs permissions to wipe your phone whenever

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

MononcQc posted:

enterprise grade is finally unveiling a web portal you can access from anywhere but all the information in fact links to documents in a central legacy sharepoint intranet you need a VPN to connect to, which in turn requires some authorized dinosaur laptop

a previous client i did work for literally had an ancient 486 toshiba laptop for connecting to a fox pro instance for literally this

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

I'm mostly talking about CA here who can burn in hell

every time I encounter a CA product i'm confounded in a unique way. those fuckers are basically "anti-pattern but enterprise". every single piece of poo poo they make is so extraordinarily bad but in so many different ways it's beyond describing

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
enterprise grade means a program used by thousands of people on a daily basis has a ten minute delay before search results populate. a ticket was submitted last year

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
enterprise grade means replacing a java version with a flash version, in the year 2018

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i don't think this person has anything to do with taylor swift

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

MononcQc posted:

enterprise grade is finally unveiling a web portal you can access from anywhere but all the information in fact links to documents in a central legacy sharepoint intranet you need a VPN to connect to, which in turn requires some authorized dinosaur laptop or installing a phone app that needs permissions to wipe your phone whenever

“we’ve sent the person responsible for authorizing your access to this site an email.”

no we won’t tell you who that is. she probably doesn’t work here anymore

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
enterprise grade is being told that if you want to use the office365 app on your personnal phone you need to basically give total control of your phone to your company for security reasons but you can actually access it without doing any of this by using a browser

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Zlodo posted:

enterprise grade is being told that if you want to use the office365 app on your personnal phone you need to basically give total control of your phone to your company for security reasons but you can actually access it without doing any of this by using a browser

true, but this is very 2019 an enterprise take

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

true, but this is very 2019 an enterprise take

(and being present decade is not very enterprise)

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

enterprise security means your account is locked the gently caress down and has to use broken kerberos everywhere. The automation application account has permissions everywhere and it's password ("auto") is in plaintext all over the place.

animist
Aug 28, 2018
but if I'm enterprise... and you're enterprise... then who's flying the plane?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

MononcQc posted:

i had to help some dude on a government issued laptop and it took up to 30 minutes to boot and connect to the VPN because it had to do a virus scan every connection. then sometimes, according to the guy, "it would just freeze so i reboot". he spends the first half hour of his day waiting for the machine to connect. also if he walks away and takes his CAC out it will require a reconnect, of course.

this is a relatively recent laptop running win 7.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i had to help some dude on a government issued laptop and it took up to 30 minutes to boot and connect to the VPN because it had to do a virus scan every connection. then sometimes, according to the guy, "it would just freeze so i reboot". he spends the first half hour of his day waiting for the machine to connect. also if he walks away and takes his CAC out it will require a reconnect, of course.

by help did you just euthanize him or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

enterprise grade security software is indistinguishable from mid-2000s spyware in terms of what it does to system performance and how deeply embedded it gets