Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Snorb posted:

Last week when we had some heavy rain over here in New Jersey, I was at work when my phone made the EAS Warning Tone From Hell. As did the other two pharmacy techs' phones.

And my pharmacist's phone. And her Apple Watch.

And the customer standing in line to pick up medicine's phone.

And the customer in the drive-thru's phone. Over her car stereo, thank you very much Bluetooth.

Hearing that "VORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRP" seven times in twenty seconds was a bit unnerving, I have to admit. Then it got funny because one tech didn't acknowledge her phone, so it kept making the EAS tone.

I've disabled emergency notifications (though the thought the president will use that instead of Twitter if he ever forget his password still seems too real), and last week I was caught in one of these notification deluges for local flash flooding. I'm alarm fatigued as much as anyone and it threw me off. For tornado warnings that might actually be real, the operators at my hospital call an overhead page.

Anyway, here's a gently caress YOU BALTIMORE simulation snipe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAuHS_BM4os

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Snorb posted:

Last week when we had some heavy rain over here in New Jersey, I was at work when my phone made the EAS Warning Tone From Hell. As did the other two pharmacy techs' phones.

And my pharmacist's phone. And her Apple Watch.

And the customer standing in line to pick up medicine's phone.

And the customer in the drive-thru's phone. Over her car stereo, thank you very much Bluetooth.

Hearing that "VORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRP" seven times in twenty seconds was a bit unnerving, I have to admit. Then it got funny because one tech didn't acknowledge her phone, so it kept making the EAS tone.

Also in NJ here, and yep, I get that in the office a lot when a flash flood warning or something pops up. I just hear a crescendo of alert tones down the hall.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
At the national level, who decides what message to send and when to send it?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

At the national level, who decides what message to send and when to send it?

Depends. There's a lot of laws outlining when one can be sent, but if POTUS wants to send one, regardless of content, I think they can. The others have defined use.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Too many years working in broadcast means hearing the EAS tones still makes me start looking around like a moron.

This happened back in 2013

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/krtv-fake-zombie-alert_n_2665469

I was talking to my the chief engineer of the station I worked at about it. Right in the middle of the conversation, he got an email from the EAS maker we used to change all passwords immediately and delete the default login which was admin/admin.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

diremonk posted:

Too many years working in broadcast means hearing the EAS tones still makes me start looking around like a moron.

This happened back in 2013

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/krtv-fake-zombie-alert_n_2665469

I was talking to my the chief engineer of the station I worked at about it. Right in the middle of the conversation, he got an email from the EAS maker we used to change all passwords immediately and delete the default login which was admin/admin.

:lol: I remember this story. Here's a video of the alert (with bonus pancakes):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py2xWU0nm54

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

DizzyBum posted:

:lol: I remember this story. Here's a video of the alert (with bonus pancakes):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py2xWU0nm54

Oh god, it would have to be Montana, wouldn't it?

insert_funny
Jan 5, 2013

I can never have plastic surgery, because I don't feel like chipping in another five bucks to change the picture.

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Oh god, it would have to be Montana, wouldn't it?

There's no video, but the same hackers also managed to break into EAS boxes at three stations in Marquette, Michigan.

https://abc10up.com/2013/02/12/update-eas-hacker-found/

[your signature is being processed. check the notification bar for updates]

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I remember the code for our EAS unit was really simple, but thankfully all it could do was weekly tests.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Similar to the Weather Channel making names for vague winter storms, Sinclair Broadcasting made up :siren: CODE RED DAYS :siren:. Weatherman Joe Crain of WCIS Springfield, Illinois had enough, complained on air, and has been fired:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/13/media/joe-crain-sinclair-code-red/index.html

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Similar to the Weather Channel making names for vague winter storms, Sinclair Broadcasting made up :siren: CODE RED DAYS :siren:. Weatherman Joe Crain of WCIS Springfield, Illinois had enough, complained on air, and has been fired:

gently caress Sinclair.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

DizzyBum posted:

gently caress Sinclair.

They run my hometown station.

gently caress Sinclair.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I was driving to see the USAF Museum in Dayton in the middle of a torrential downpour through 3/4 of the length of Ohio. About halfway through, with visibility of about 1/8 of a mile, the EAS tone blares on my phone...to warn me about potential flash flooding in the area I had no intention of staying in. Given the severity weather I was thinking tornado or *hail*.

Flash flooding is a pretty big danger when you're driving, though, so I don't mind a warning for that. I got one of those warnings the other day, and I revised my route to not involve any underpasses, because I've seen a lot of those flood very, very quickly around here. Hail will piss me off and potentially damage my car, flash flooding can strand me in the middle of a storm in a very dangerous situation.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

PT6A posted:

Flash flooding is a pretty big danger when you're driving, though, so I don't mind a warning for that. I got one of those warnings the other day, and I revised my route to not involve any underpasses, because I've seen a lot of those flood very, very quickly around here. Hail will piss me off and potentially damage my car, flash flooding can strand me in the middle of a storm in a very dangerous situation.

It's this. Flash flood could easily also submerge your car depending on the river that's overflowing. There's a drat good reason why they push "turn around, don't drown" with flooded roads. You don't know how deep the water is and how fast it's moving.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Weather Channel can be dumb at times, but they do do a good job at explaining the dangers of storms. They had a pretty good video on lightning dangers, including "yeah, bolts from the blue are a thing, don't risk it."

It was in the vein of this:
https://twitter.com/BeardedGenius/status/1040346339610124288
(the comments and replies are "oh man this is fear mongering" followed by "Dude, I was in Houston when a storm like this hit. IT'S NO loving JOKE.")

So yeah, they can do some really good work in terms of visualizing why this poo poo is dangerous. Other times they like to be a bit too much.

iospace fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 15, 2019

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

iospace posted:

It's this. Flash flood could easily also submerge your car depending on the river that's overflowing. There's a drat good reason why they push "turn around, don't drown" with flooded roads. You don't know how deep the water is and how fast it's moving.

Flash flooding is also crazy fast to go from "hey it's raining a bit" to "OH HOLY loving poo poo" and it's not always obvious when and where it will happen. Honestly I think it's one of those things you don't properly respect until you see it first-hand. We're not talking half an hour, we're talking three to five minutes in some cases.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

iospace posted:

Weather Channel can be dumb at times, but they do do a good job at explaining the dangers of storms. They had a pretty good video on lightning dangers, including "yeah, bolts from the blue are a thing, don't risk it."

(the comments and replies are "oh man this is fear mongering" followed by "Dude, I was in Houston when a storm like this hit. IT'S NO loving JOKE.")

So yeah, they can do some really good work in terms of visualizing why this poo poo is dangerous. Other times they like to be a bit too much.

I've seen that clip before and it's helped improve my opinion of them. They've been getting better from their nadir five/ten years ago; when it seemed like every weather report was a re-enactment of the Onion Weather report for the apocalypse.

And tomorrow is the final of another golf major, and there's thunderstorms in the forecast! *Starts following Michael Wilbon's twitter much more closely*

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

iospace posted:

Eh, I don't see why it's so dangerous, as long as you have a Grey Circle with a forcefield like she does. :shrug:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I once heard an amber alert at 2 am driving home from a friends house, music full blast and then

*BWRAAA BWRAAA*

and its freaky. No helped by the fact the alert sounded like it was being broadcast from the last bunker to survive a nuclear holocaust. At least it wasn't the automated weather station voice which feels like it will continue to broadcast weather stations long after humanity is gone.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mooseontheloose posted:

I once heard an amber alert at 2 am driving home from a friends house, music full blast and then

*BWRAAA BWRAAA*

and its freaky. No helped by the fact the alert sounded like it was being broadcast from the last bunker to survive a nuclear holocaust. At least it wasn't the automated weather station voice which feels like it will continue to broadcast weather stations long after humanity is gone.

I feel like 90% of Amber Alerts are "Oh the kid is at Grandma's and we forgot about it!"

It's a well intentioned law, no doubt, but it's highly prone to false positives (also I want to see the statistics on the racial breakdown of amber alerts, namely "who gets more coverage").

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Mooseontheloose posted:

*BWRAAA BWRAAA*

I was amused at the time the government sent out one of the emergency text tests, and there was a wild moment at work when almost everyone's phones lit up simultaneously. It was also unsettling as gently caress because that sound :psyboom:

iospace posted:

I feel like 90% of Amber Alerts are "Oh the kid is at Grandma's and we forgot about it!"

It's a well intentioned law, no doubt, but it's highly prone to false positives (also I want to see the statistics on the racial breakdown of amber alerts, namely "who gets more coverage").

https://www.researchgate.net/blog/post/after-20-years-of-amber-alerts-are-they-worth-it

Okay, haven't done a lot of research, but scraping the top few Google results, it seems effectiveness is mixed.

quote:

ResearchGate: How do you view the success of AMBER Alert since its inception in 1996?

Timothy Griffin: AMBER Alerts do certainly, in a sense, work. A minority of them assist in the recovery of abducted children. My latest dataset isn’t complete yet, but the success rate among all Alerts issued, as my colleagues and I measure it, will be, I estimate, around 20 percent.

There is always an element of uncertainty, of course, because it is impossible to know what “would have” happened in any given AMBER Alert case, had no Alert been issued. However, in my reading of the data, the number of children whose lives have been saved by AMBER Alert ranges from zero to something very close to zero.

quote:

RG: How did you reach this conclusion and what patterns emerged?

Griffin: I’ve personally examined media accounts of roughly 1,500 to 1,800 AMBER Alert cases and a number of patterns emerge:

These cases do not appear to typically involve apparently life-threatening abductors. Rather, they are far more often deployed in familial/custodial disputes and other cases not suggestive of life-threatening peril to the abducted child(ren).

Second, AMBER Alerts are most likely to end in a safe recovery when the abductor is related to the child(ren) and not likely to cause them harm.

quote:

RG: There’s little scholarly literature on AMBER alerts. Why do you think that is?

Griffin: I think this is because, from a criminological perspective, the AMBER Alert system is quantitatively trivial.
It only involves a few hundred perpetrators and victims a year—a mere handful of which end in the tragic murders of children. This is a mistake though, in my view. We need to have a better understanding of how well they work and how, if at all, they can be improved. Even if I personally doubt the effectiveness of the AMBER Alert system in saving children from life-threatening peril, I as much as anyone know that the public is the key, first component in effective crime control.

As for AMBER alerts and racism, there's also very little research info, but there was a case in Edmonton where they described a missing woman as, "Mulatto," and another in Ontario where an 11 year old girl of Indian descent went missing, and people bitched that the alarm was too loud and too scary. By calling 911. Because that's mature and smart. Turns out the girl's father had killed her, but they did find him right away...thanks to someone reporting his car after hearing the AMBER alert. God, what a fuckshow.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5087521/riya-rajkumar-amber-alert-peel-police-911-complaints/

Content warning, for poo poo that will likely make you sad.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Oh my god I'm so glad I found this thread.

I study meteorology, so I have to deal with NWS alerts a lot. I know this thread kinda delved into the fake ones, but over time I've become a connoisseur of dumb fake EAS videos. It turns out, there's a whole loving community of these people who try to make whole rear end stories based solely on this one archaic form of communication and I love them dearly for it.

My two favorite people have not only developed multi hour video series some with actual voice acting and poo poo, but all their videos line up in some horrible hell cinematic universe.

Here's one where (spoilers in case you don't want to watch about 2 hours of videos) MIT creates a sentient computer to deal with climate change, and it responds to climate change by nuking the world, creating terminators, and then sending everyone to live in the sahara desert. Also at some point it becomes a terminator and flies to canada to visit its computer-dad, and also talks in front of the UN after killing the POTUS through the phone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkWAaPlc0vw
That dude's cinematic universe also includes a radical separatist group he's a Mary Sue in that saves the world forever.

This guy's universe in which America gets perpetually dunked on is also pretty well done if not entirely stupid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TwwbfaEqGA

Or, if you just want some dumb EAS shenanigans:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t4YsDeN8ck

Sorry for unloading all this. I've known about this stuff for the better part of a decade and it feels good to get this all off my chest so I'm not the only person on earth who knows about all this dumb bullshit

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I like the idea of Amber Alerts, but I don't need one at 2am to notify me that a kid went missing 7 hours north from me and they were last seen heading north. Oh and then it turns out it was just a communication issue between two separated parents.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I always like this one from Kris Straub:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M75VLQuFPrY

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"
"Weather Service" is really fun. I hope we get more Local58 someday.

Spaced God touched on the two best EAS scenario creators as well as posting my favourite stupid video. The best EAS scenarios use the format to tell a story, like some radio play that's especially hard to listen to.

Here's a couple of made for television movies that have that EAS/breaking news feel.

1983's Special Bulletin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDZQsVNZ3SE is a clever piece about sensationalism in TV journalism.

1994's Without Warning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZbI20HYNb0 is a little flashier and stars Sander Vanocur, as well as people like Jane Kaczmarek, James Morrison, John de Lancie, and Ron Canada. It was inspired by War of the Worlds, a fact that becomes increasingly obvious as it goes on.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
This feels like it fits with the thread:

https://twitter.com/FSMidwest/status/1142229643258236928

"Attention, Attention: There is an emergency in the stadium. Walk to the nearest stairs and avoid the elevators."

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Athanatos posted:

This feels like it fits with the thread:

https://twitter.com/FSMidwest/status/1142229643258236928

"Attention, Attention: There is an emergency in the stadium. Walk to the nearest stairs and avoid the elevators."

Turns out it was a false alarm. I always enjoy watching these stadium displays transform from an advertising behemoth to "GTFO Tornado coming!," "No we won't let our football players get electrocuted" etc.

By the way, people have figured out how to spoof Presidential Alerts on your phone:
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-48743045

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
GG Shake Alert. How come we can't use some of the Japanese technology for earthquakes?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

GG Shake Alert. How come we can't use some of the Japanese technology for earthquakes?

What tech?

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Kibner posted:

What tech?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthquake_Early_Warning_(Japan)

Basically a crap ton more seismographs that are hooked right into radio, television and telephone via the JMA. It won't help over the epicenter, and I can only image how the false positives will be handled if tornado warnings are any indication.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
The early warning system in Japan is up there in terms of being the friendliest sounding alert. It sounds like the earthquake is texting you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAxxZkpV0HI

At the end there is a tsunami alert, which seems like it uses a more EAS like broadcast interruption tone

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

The early warning system in Japan is up there in terms of being the friendliest sounding alert. It sounds like the earthquake is texting you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAxxZkpV0HI

I like it, it's not panic-inducing but it uses some nasty melodic intervals that give it a subtle sense of dread

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Canada is on the other end of the tonal interval spectrum with THIS HORRIFYING BULLSHIT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FaI3N8Gg1E

:gonk: :siren:

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
It was great fun to be woken at 3am this morning to that noise for an Amber alert and then get the same alert 40 minutes later, this time with a French translation added...

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Spaced God posted:

Canada is on the other end of the tonal interval spectrum with THIS HORRIFYING BULLSHIT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FaI3N8Gg1E

:gonk: :siren:

That is a very high quality noise of doom

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Spaced God posted:

Oh my god I'm so glad I found this thread.

That's awesome. Any more you'd recommend? The first one would have been great if it weren't for the creator's commentary dumbing it down and giving the plot away.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Det_no posted:

That's awesome. Any more you'd recommend? The first one would have been great if it weren't for the creator's commentary dumbing it down and giving the plot away.

All of Jayfeather's (the guy who made the second video) content is really good in both an ironic and unironic way up to and including actual voice """actors""". There's a real drought in terms of actual content creators who know the intricacies of the EAS and emergency standards (shocker, right?) and I would try my hand if I was slightly more creative.

Some good "high quality" poo poo that got me into this is TheEasExperience whose channel combines real alerts with simulated stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWt4Di6zr14

If you want super good plot poo poo, uh.... good luck. However, if you admit going slightly outside the realm of the EAS, this student project pretending to be a cold war-era radio broadcast in Toronto is really good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qorOmv33IM

If you just want to laugh though, here's the dumbest one that has way too much effort put into it, up to and including a Trump soundboard that uses spliced up syllables to make a message

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8q3KFHlNSc

Spaced God fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 13, 2019

Fuckstick
Nov 30, 2000

Summertime in Nebraska these tones may as well be a Top 40 hit. Hearing them at my work invokes outbursts from my coworkers in their best Tourette’s Guy voice. “If this were an actual emergency..YOUR rear end WOULD BE INSIDE OF YOUR rear end!”. It’s tested so often it’s almost mundane anymore.

The one time that it really peaked my interest was the day I was listening to Sirius Satellite Radio and the alert tones came on. It got my attention because it must be a big deal if it’s going off on Sirius. Turns out it was for Sully dumping his plane in the river.

Fuckstick
Nov 30, 2000

Also now with phone alerts, being in a public place when 200 phones all start blasting that tone is one of the creepiest experiences there is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
I did some YouTube surfings and found some other oddball alerts:

Here's Wisconsin law enforcement learning about the concept of hot mics and computer memory (maybe):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LHp5F1cwe4

This warning system was used in Okinawa by the 18th wing at Kaneda Air Base ( I have no idea how the military handles these sorts of broadcasts), essentially more of a signal jammer to communicate a Tropical Warning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfdHshKFAkU
There's also a tornado warning from KCAU that uses the same jammer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA1VXMSvQJI

And if you have time for 800+ real and fanfiction emergency warnings, MrSonicthehedgehog31 has you covered:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTBAdcqPJlfToWVVNlCDBWE9Fxb0AFZeg