Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

So you think when that lady told her 6-year-old stories about the man named Bond, James Bond, she left in all the parts where he hosed, killed, drank, raped, and got his balls pulverized?

The next time I see Bond make a sarcastic quip before exploding a guy's head or punching him into an industrial shredder or whatever, should I figure that is part of the fairy tale?

As Pratchett put it, children are quite keen on blood as long as it's shed by the deserving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Spacebump posted:

Did Craig Bond make many quips?

He had the “really blew his mind” bit in NTTD that made me loudly guffaw in the theater.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Spacebump posted:

Did Craig Bond make many quips?

Skyfall is an extremely quippy movie between all the characters. CinemaWins has a good video talking about the film where he points them all out, as well as understated comedy bits like Bond gaping and pointing at a komodo dragon during a fistfight because even he's kind of surprised this is going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmL3dyanGf8

He also talks about how he doesn't accept the hatred of Silva's plan the same way that he doesn't have a problem with the Joker in The Dark Knight: rather than having somehow perfectly predicted every possible event with inhuman precision, it's just as plausible that he was instead having a lot of backups, contingency plans, and just plain improvisation when things don't go his way. The way it worked out wasn't the plan, but just the way he got it to succeed.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 29, 2021

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Henry Cavill was on the shortlist before Craig got it, and his performance as Napoleon Solo (a character also created by Ian Fleming) is as good a reel as any.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVzUjNlfq9E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9sEvT3WN0o

The fact that we didn't get more Cavill spy hijinks is a goddamn shame, the man was made for a suit.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

chitoryu12 posted:

The way it worked out wasn't the plan, but just the way he got it to succeed.

It's always really fun when this happens, that the villains don't just have one big plain that requires every part of the chain to go off without a hitch, but use their resources and abilities to react to events as they go, work around failures and capitalise on successes, and improvise the same way that heroes traditionally do.

Xanatos in Gargoyles has become a meme, but he earned it pretty well in being an antagonist who's not only genuinely a threat but also interesting and fun because he famously prefers to set things up so he benefits from any plausible outcome of his schemes- even if the heroes win, which they usually do, he gets something out of it, and sometimes that's exactly what he expected. And even gets to the point where the heroes recognise this, and he can also be reasoned with, sometimes negotiated on almost friendly terms, and occasionally even just plain talked out of what turned out to be a bad idea.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's always really fun when this happens, that the villains don't just have one big plain that requires every part of the chain to go off without a hitch, but use their resources and abilities to react to events as they go, work around failures and capitalise on successes, and improvise the same way that heroes traditionally do.

Xanatos in Gargoyles has become a meme, but he earned it pretty well in being an antagonist who's not only genuinely a threat but also interesting and fun because he famously prefers to set things up so he benefits from any plausible outcome of his schemes- even if the heroes win, which they usually do, he gets something out of it, and sometimes that's exactly what he expected. And even gets to the point where the heroes recognise this, and he can also be reasoned with, sometimes negotiated on almost friendly terms, and occasionally even just plain talked out of what turned out to be a bad idea.

And his original goal was to have the castle on the building with the Gargoyles as its guardian and it ended with exactly that. One of the few pure wins for a villain ever and why he created that trope.

Joker was kind of magic because he was just a force of nature, but he also was that udea of multiple layered I provided plans that Batman could only beat by cheating and becoming omniscient.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is why I really like the first three Die Hard movies as well, especially the first. The bad guys had to react every time John McClane did something to sow them down. I hate that almost all movies are basically non-playable video games where the good guy just runs through a few preset dungeons and gets to the final boss, who has been waiting on the roof doing nothing the whole time.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

The Human Crouton posted:

This is why I really like the first three Die Hard movies as well, especially the first. The bad guys had to react every time John McClane did something to sow them down. I hate that almost all movies are basically non-playable video games where the good guy just runs through a few preset dungeons and gets to the final boss, who has been waiting on the roof doing nothing the whole time.

I love that Hans Gruber isn't entirely unflappable either, since he takes John's interference in relative stride until he finds out the detonators have been stolen. Tony and Marco and whoever else are dead? Whatever, it sucks they can't party in Barbados with us, but more bearer bonds to go around-- we planned for casualties and we can do this without them. With the detonators there's a visible look of panic on his face since this wasn't a condition they had a contingency plan for and they can't leave until they recover them. It makes Hans come off as an excellent strategist but not clairvoyant

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

pretty soft girl posted:

I love that Hans Gruber isn't entirely unflappable either, since he takes John's interference in relative stride until he finds out the detonators have been stolen. Tony and Marco and whoever else are dead? Whatever, it sucks they can't party in Barbados with us, but more bearer bonds to go around-- we planned for casualties and we can do this without them. With the detonators there's a visible look of panic on his face since this wasn't a condition they had a contingency plan for and they can't leave until they recover them. It makes Hans come off as an excellent strategist but not clairvoyant

Yeah, that part is great. My favorite part is where Gruber and McClane meet each other and they have to pretend not to know who the other person is. I haven't watched it in a while, but I think this may have been where Gruber is either trying to set or salvage the detonators.

I just love how they are both trying to outsmart each other, and Gruber realizes what an idiot he is for not coming up with a fake name during the several minutes he's already been trapped with McClane so he has to emergency pull a realistic name from a directory board.

I miss smart movies.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It's nuts to me that Rickman was making his film debut in Die Hard. It's like a baseball playing toiling in the minor leagues for 15 years, then winning the MVP when he finally gets his first shot in the majors. It's impossibly great.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
What's great about the McClane/Hans scene is that Hans is so good at improvising that McClane is genuinely taken in at first; look how his reaction goes from smug "I gotcha" to "wait, what the gently caress, is this guy having a panic attack?" as Hans does his don't-kill-me routine. (Remember that McClane hasn't seen Hans' face before, only the back of his head.) It takes a while before he decides that his initial instincts were correct. Even then, he never actually catches Hans out in a lie.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Payndz posted:

What's great about the McClane/Hans scene is that Hans is so good at improvising that McClane is genuinely taken in at first; look how his reaction goes from smug "I gotcha" to "wait, what the gently caress, is this guy having a panic attack?" as Hans does his don't-kill-me routine. (Remember that McClane hasn't seen Hans' face before, only the back of his head.) It takes a while before he decides that his initial instincts were correct. Even then, he never actually catches Hans out in a lie.

I also dig that it subtly reveals that Hans doesn't often do his own dirty work. We've seen Hans flinch when shooting a gun, which is really more a side effect of Rickman's discomfort with it- but I think if any other of the henchmen watched John load that gun and then felt the weight of it, they'd probably have checked it out first before dropping the ruse. Hans just kind of impotently keeps pulling the trigger because he's overconfident in his ability to fool people and gunslinging isn't where his strengths lie

Maybe Simon disliked his brother because Hans was a little annoying nerd dweeb and didn't even know how to shoot a heavy machine gun

pretty soft girl fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 2, 2021

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Basebf555 posted:

It's nuts to me that Rickman was making his film debut in Die Hard. It's like a baseball playing toiling in the minor leagues for 15 years, then winning the MVP when he finally gets his first shot in the majors. It's impossibly great.

That's nuts, I had no idea it was his first movie.

Payndz posted:

I posted about this recently in the Irrational Movie Moments thread, but apparently he knew Hans wasn't Bill Clay because of the watch he was wearing, which was explained in a deleted scene. (The terrorists all had the same fancy watch)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I can understand why the watch thing was cut because really it's easy to understand why Mcclane would be able to sniff out Hans based on the stuff he was wearing, which includes the watch but also his clothes. He'd already been shown earlier searching the terrorists and then describing their European clothing to Powell, so I don't think it's necessary to know exactly which detail tipped him off about Hans, by that point we know he has clues about which guys are terrorists and which aren't.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I think McClane just did the smart thing by assuming that Hans might be a terrorist out of caution. There didn't have to be any previous clues as to his actual identity in order for this exchange to work. Manufacturing his own clue by giving Hans the unloaded gun was really the only clue necessary.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I always forget that the order of McTiernan movies is Predator, Die Hard, Hunt For Red October. I always think Predator comes after Die Hard for some reason.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I’m watching Lea Seydoux cry on a grey beach as someone climbs a long ladder. When do they just let Kojima make the movies directly?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Payndz posted:

The CinemaWins interpretation of plans like that is why it makes it so much more interesting. If you're watching the villain being prepared and clever instead of just tipping a domino and having everything improbably fall their way, it shifts the dynamic to an elaborate cat-and-mouse game with the hero and villain constantly trading blows. Silva slides down an escalator and faceplants at the bottom, Bond slides down after him and lands on his feet. Bond confronts Silva at gunpoint underground, Silva detonates a bomb he had planted to throw a train at Bond. It's not that everything was precisely set up for these exact events to the second, but that he's very good at having a lot of backups to compensate for being nearly stopped. He only loses at the very end when he finds that he's not psychologically prepared to actually enact his goal.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Watched Dr. No on the weekend. Super good, love how Bond foils the bad guy at the end by uhhhh standing around pretending to take notes and stuff and then causing a nuclear disaster.

Followed up with Man With The Golden Gun. Mixed opinion on that one but I think I enjoyed it more than I didn't. Love how the writers are just like "well Bond is in Asia so throw some sumos at the Chinese mountainside temple in Bangkok. More karate!" HK got pretty good treatment though I think.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

numberoneposter posted:

Followed up with Man With The Golden Gun. Mixed opinion on that one but I think I enjoyed it more than I didn't.

That is everybody's opinion on TMWTGG. Even if they think they hated it, their hearts know that they enjoyed it more than they didn't.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I wish The Man With the Golden Gun had been made during Connery's run, it's so fun having a Bond villain played by Christopher Lee but I just have a hard time getting into anything from the Moore era.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 7, 2021

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

numberoneposter posted:

Followed up with Man With The Golden Gun. Mixed opinion on that one but I think I enjoyed it more than I didn't. Love how the writers are just like "well Bond is in Asia so throw some sumos at the Chinese mountainside temple in Bangkok. More karate!" HK got pretty good treatment though I think.

Mary Goodnight in TMWTGG is one of the most worst "damsel in distress" Bond girls in the entire franchise, she really does a lot to drag down the movie in my eyes.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

The Craig era really suffered by not rebooting Sheriff J. W. Pepper.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

gohuskies posted:

Mary Goodnight in TMWTGG is one of the most worst "damsel in distress" Bond girls in the entire franchise, she really does a lot to drag down the movie in my eyes.

Denise Richards and Halle Berry's performances might be pretty lousy but I think they catch an unfair amount of poo poo from fans compared to Mary Goodnight's effortless combination of bad writing and unlikable acting. I think she might be the only bond girl in the entire franchise who lacks any charm whatsoever

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I feel like Die Another Day just gets poo poo all around, no so much specifically aimed at Halle Berry. People just really did not like that movie right from the start when it was released. Richards is another story, the general opinion on The World is Not Enough seems to be that it has good points and bad points, and Richards is one of the glaring bad points.

I rewatched Spectre the other day to prepare for the new one and I was more impressed by Lea Seydoux than when I saw the movie before. She has a bunch of striking moments where she makes a facial expression or delivers a line in such a way that her character is really memorable without necessarily having to be in the movie any more than the typical Bond Girl. She does a hell of a lot with not a ton of actual dialogue.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 7, 2021

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The difference between the worst of the Brosnan movies and Golden Gun (easily the worst Moore movie) is that while all are dire, Golden Gun is outright boring and doesn't really look like they spent much money on it, from what I remember.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 7, 2021

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The difference between the worst of the Brosnan movies and Golden Gun (easily the worst Moore movie) is that while all are dire, Golden Gun is outright boring.

I feel like this should also be levied at Moonraker but the primary criticism I always hear is that it took things too far

I went into Moonraker thinking "oh this is the one where he goes to space, this is going to be hilarious campy fun" and it was the longest movie I've ever watched in my life. The coffin knife throwing goon and the last 15 minutes do not make up for how tedious it is as a whole and I think all of the actors were on qualudes

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I feel like the space stuff in Moonraker is in the same category as the underwater stuff in Thunderball. Sounds great on paper but on-screen it's dudes floating around barely able to move and it puts you to sleep.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I feel the same way about Moonraker, that battle was a huge mistake. Should have like had a ship to ship battle and then just had like boarding parties shooting each other nornally instead of floating around in space

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The difference between the worst of the Brosnan movies and Golden Gun (easily the worst Moore movie) is that while all are dire, Golden Gun is outright boring and doesn't really look like they spent much money on it, from what I remember.

I still can't believe they cast Christopher Lee, a lightning in a bottle pick given his background, and then have him just lounging around for 98% of the movie.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 7, 2021

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only Bond fan that loves the Moore era.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Spacebump posted:

Nah he has his high and low points just like everyone else. The Spy Who Loved Me is the GOAT of the big over the top Bond movies. For Your Eyes Only shows he can pull off a more grounded, serious film too and I don't mind Margret Thatcher flirting with the parrot either

Cacator fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 7, 2021

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea as always with any run of Bond films you will have some that are better than others but for me it's about Moore himself. I just dislike his Bond enough that it makes it hard to enjoy even the better entries in his run. He's dead last on my personal Bond rankings.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I can't help but find Moonraker amusing, as its particular brand of camp ridiculousness also has one of the better Moore villains. The Brosnan Bonds pretty much all follow Moonraker's exact formula.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Neo Rasa posted:

I still can't believe they cast Christopher Lee, a lightning in a bottle pick given his background, and then have him just lounging around for 98% of the movie.
The whole movie felt as though the heros and villains were taking a relaxed vacation in SEA.

Gonna watch The Spy Who Loved Me and then another Moore movie this week. Probably Moonraker.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 7, 2021

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Spacebump posted:

Nah the Moore era rules, it’s got some clunkers for sure but overall he had a very fun tenure. Hell I’ll say it, I love Moonraker.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

I dont mind Moore either, it just seems more of his movies just suffer from laborious pacing than any of the other Bonds do. I'd go to bat for live and let die, for your eyes only, and as a guilty pleasure, a view to a kill. I kinda remember octopussy being fun too but it's probably the bond movie I've watched the least

I'm certainly no arbiter of good taste though, I like Bill Conti's disco score in FYEO

pretty soft girl fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 7, 2021

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

The Moore movies are so weird. You ever meet someone who thinks that the 60s Batman series was meant to be serious, but that's just the way they made things back then? The Moore movies are both a copy and inverse of that.

It's as if two different people each made the same shot-for-shot movie: one in a serious tone, the other in a campy tone. Then an alien AI merged those movies together in such a way that you are watching both movies simultaneously. You can always sense that the other movie is playing beneath the surface, but you can never tell which movie is the surface and with is the emanation.

Ok, usually you can't tell. When they made the Tarzan yell in Octopussy, you could tell that the campy version was the surface movie.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

The nuke disarming scene in Octopussy is a better example - it's fairly tense and dramatic, except Bond is dressed as a clown. How long did it take for him to put on all that makeup?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

pretty soft girl posted:

I'm certainly no arbiter of good taste though, I like Bill Conti's disco score in FYEO
You are not alone. I actually have a liking for most of the oddball one-off non-Barry scores; George Martin's Live And Let Die is genuinely great, but TSWLM, FYEO and Goldeneye also have their high points. (Licence To Kill... not so much. To me Kamen is one of those 'variations on my stock cues' composers who got lucky by having his music attached to a couple of true action classics, but LTK isn't good enough to lift his material.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I kept thinking "well, FYEO is pretty serious" and then I remembered not-Blofeld getting smokestacked, Bond getting hit on by the underage skating prodigy and (ending spoiler for For Your Eyes Only) a special appearance from someone we need to ask an expert if they are dead or not..

Then I'm like "Well, what about View to a Kill" and I'm remembering Patrick Macnee's character, the horse chase with the mechanical death traps for his own horses(?) and Bond's car repeatedly getting divided in half in the Paris chase scene. The rest is still kinda goofy, but I don't know if it's especially goofy for a Bond movie.