Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

caligulamprey posted:

gently caress Palaces, each and every one of them.

And thus, the rear end, Gas, or Grass Act of 1977 was enacted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Phy posted:

Was the Vallejo-esque art of wizards or barbarian ladies on van sides a later development, or was it ever really even a thing at all?

That was the early 80s, when the side painting became more elaborate.

Lots of those vans had a cabinet that concealed a pull-out toilet.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Fun Fact: Super-Van has a cameo in Back to the Future 2

fantastic

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

hexwren posted:

fantastic

I believe you mean vantastic

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

A man and a van with no certain plans. Goddamn!

naem
May 29, 2011

Matinee posted:

My first thought was how sweaty all that shag pile carpeting must get in an age before AC, but then I scrolled down and realised that was the entire point.
Godspeed, horny van people of yesteryear.

shag carpets and bodily fluids- together at last

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

VikingSkull posted:

I grew up with multiple guys that built vans that were featured in 70's magazines, AMA

Teach us all that you know of van murals. It's truly a lost art preserved only by low riders and epic prison tats.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

:krad:

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
everything about this pic. It's owned by "Jackie, Randy and Randal". You know that carpet is stained...

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I suddenly want to buy a van and I’m not sure why.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
#vanlife

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Is this van overdone? I say neigh:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Gutter Phoenix posted:

For starters, here is a magazine from that odd window in the late 70's when custom vans and CB radios were all the rage:

I feel like so many of these could be the album art for a Fu Manchu album

SO PUT THE KEYS IN MY HAND

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I’ve been legit thinking about posting a GBS van mural thread for almost a year and now OP beat me to it

It’s okay tho

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
You guys talk about "the 70s van fad" as if people aren't making these things more than they ever were in this very year of 2019. I mean they aren't lined with 3" purple shag carpet but hipsters absolutely love modifying and living out of vans. Youtube wants to show me a new one every day.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

I wouldn't mind vinylizing her top, iykwim.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

I wouldn't mind visiting her high country, iykwim.

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.
Van drat!

But yeah, this makes me want to get a van again. Customize it up all nice this time.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

The John Wayne Birthplace Museum in Madison County has a custom van as one of the exhibits. The trees that continue the mural across the rear window are etched in the glass.

The majesty.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Lake of Methane posted:

The John Wayne Birthplace Museum in Madison County has a custom van as one of the exhibits. The trees that continue the mural across the rear window are etched in the glass.

The majesty.

I can’t stop laughing at his dumbass face eating spaghetti reins

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Lake of Methane posted:

The majesty.

diarrhea squits brown really fits the duke well

And the horseshoes in the running board :allears:

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011
Did these vans just get pulled over every 20 miles? Was anyone ever sober inside them?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

tbb9 posted:

Did these vans just get pulled over every 20 miles? Was anyone ever sober inside them?

Until, like, 1981, the law didn't give a poo poo about drunk driving.

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009

Quarterly...because you need a solid three months to work out what news in the CB world you can write about next!

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My dad had a cb when I was growing up. He hardly ever used it because every time you turned it on, the only thing you would ever hear, ever, was some hillbilly 3 states away bragging about how he was transmitting at an insanely illegal power level that could reach the other side of the earth. If you were operating at a legal power level, your signal wouldn't reach him so you couldn't tell him to shut the gently caress up and that nobody cares.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

fakeaccount posted:

My dad had a cb when I was growing up. He hardly ever used it because every time you turned it on, the only thing you would ever hear, ever, was some hillbilly 3 states away bragging about how he was transmitting at an insanely illegal power level that could reach the other side of the earth. If you were operating at a legal power level, your signal wouldn't reach him so you couldn't tell him to shut the gently caress up and that nobody cares.

The proto-shitposter :worship:

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

one step forward one step back
archive.org has a bunch of old Heavy Metal scans and they own:

:nws: https://archive.org/details/heavy-metal-magazine:nws:

I'll dig through and post more highlights later but it's well worth just clicking around and seeing what you can find (heads up Heavy Metal is incredibly horny):

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

Thanks for another bitchin' thread GP. Going to dig into my archives for magazine ephemera.

Edit: If you're going be be in the Midwest 7/13/2019, travel to the chopper/van show at (IG) @full_tilt_boogie_

Serious Party Gods fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Apr 24, 2019

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
The CB mags remind me of a serial UHF frequency pest we have in Sydney Australia who uses some kind of signal boost to pretty much broadcast in a huge radius and annoys the poo poo out of truckers pretending to be characters.

Heh, found an ancient post about him on some 4wd forum

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=136573

Kharnifex fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Apr 24, 2019

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

https://imgur.com/a/x2CS2gv?desktop=1

Here’s a van I saw once

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003
HOLY SHIT I JUST WON'T SHUT UP ABOUT BIRDS IN CAGES. DID YOU KNOW PUTTING BIRDS IN CAGES MAKES YOU LITERALLY WORSE THAN HITLER? CAUSE IT DOES AND I WILL MAKE SURE YOU KNOW. I ALSO WANT YOU TO KISS YOURSELF IF YOU EVER THINK ABOUT PUTTING A BIRD IN A CAGE.
"Custom" is a good search term

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I’m assuming the client drives while the barber cuts their hair?

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003
HOLY SHIT I JUST WON'T SHUT UP ABOUT BIRDS IN CAGES. DID YOU KNOW PUTTING BIRDS IN CAGES MAKES YOU LITERALLY WORSE THAN HITLER? CAUSE IT DOES AND I WILL MAKE SURE YOU KNOW. I ALSO WANT YOU TO KISS YOURSELF IF YOU EVER THINK ABOUT PUTTING A BIRD IN A CAGE.
Its car faces expresses so much self realisation

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kharnifex posted:

The CB mags remind me of a serial UHF frequency pest we have in Sydney Australia who uses some kind of signal boost to pretty much broadcast in a huge radius and annoys the poo poo out of truckers pretending to be characters.

Heh, found an ancient post about him on some 4wd forum

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=136573

Dude sounds awesome.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

witchy posted:

archive.org has a bunch of old Heavy Metal scans and they own:

:nws: https://archive.org/details/heavy-metal-magazine:nws:

Kickass, thanks for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

tardwrangler posted:

Its car faces expresses so much self realisation

It kind of looks like it's been vivisected and the anesthetic is just starting to wear off