Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

MaoistBanker posted:

Been there, impressive for 30 seconds and then you're done and out $75 bucks.

Enough about the tour guide, how was the cave?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Someone told me they did a tour of the Glowworm Caves and thought it was pretty drat cool esp when they floated on the water and were surrounded by the lights.

:shrug:

gently caress worms imo they can have their cave but I don't wanna think about em falling on my head

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Oh, I remembered another thing about NZ; LotR completely hosed it's local economy and even government workforce regulations. :capitalism:

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Braemar Station New Zealand is probably the most beautiful place I have ever had the pleasure of visiting. Would recommend.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

Oh, I remembered another thing about NZ; LotR completely hosed it's local economy and even government workforce regulations. :capitalism:

Specifically The Hobbit was when the screw turned I think

Lobbyists got NZ to ban stuff like collective bargaining lol

Owned

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-nSxFimoHg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Semple_tank

quote:

Due to the limitations of requirements and resources, the tank was a functional failure. By using a large tractor as a base, and bolting on a hastily designed and poorly constructed tank superstructure, the resultant tanks were inadequately armored, extremely heavy (2025 ton), unstable, restricted by tractor gearing to slow speeds, and had to stop to change gears. Furthermore, due to the shape of the underlying tractor and undue vibrations, shooting from the tank was both difficult and inevitably inaccurate.[8] All of these limitations have often caused the Bob Semple Tank to be regarded as "the worst tank ever built"[9]

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Moridin920 posted:

Specifically The Hobbit was when the screw turned I think

Lobbyists got NZ to ban stuff like collective bargaining lol

Owned

Lindsay Ellis did a better job covering that mess than all of our garbage news outlets combined in her Hobbit videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi7t_g5QObs

NZ kind of sucks rear end to live in. Our housing and infrastructure is awful, everything is literally twice as expensive as it should be and our economy is entirely hosed. It's nice to visit though I guess.

e: oh and the neo-nazis.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
ABANDONED MINE STRUCTURE, WEST COAST: (Full Album)

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

i wish there was a bridge or a tunnel or something between the islands

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

i wish there was a bridge or a tunnel or something between the islands

Yeah nah, just follow his lead:

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I mean between the north and south islands of NZ, australia can gently caress off

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Every single photo I see of NZ is impossibly beautiful and I refuse to believe it's a real place, because then the rich parasites of the world would descend on it and poo poo it up like they do with everything they touch. Please refrain from shattering the illusion.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

redgubbinz posted:

Every single photo I see of NZ is impossibly beautiful and I refuse to believe it's a real place, because then the rich parasites of the world would descend on it and poo poo it up like they do with everything they touch. Please refrain from shattering the illusion.

new zealand is a really common place for billionaires to have a parachute citizenship to for when the revolution finally comes

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOOOHX9DnOg

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Is this the president of New Zealand

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

hey OP have u tried a mince and cheese pie yet

try big ben pies, they are the best ones and readily available throughout the country

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

This is the only thing i know about new zealand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2NhQmZ3S6E

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
GENERAL INFORMATION: NEW ZEALAND (AOTEAROA)

GENERAL INFORMATION: NORTH ISLAND (TE IKA-A-MĀUI)

GENERAL INFORMATION: SOUTH ISLAND (TE WAIPOUNAMU)

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

the kentucky quid posted:

Wanna move to New Zealand cause it seems removed from most the bullshit involved involved in western society and Im a bit of a Luddite so being far removed from everything on a tiny island seems pretty appealing.

There's still a lot of bullshit because the isolated island economy makes everything expensive and there's no jobs. I had to choose Melbourne even though my politics/values align better with NZ. Grew up in Auckland.

Here's my only NZ photo, my dad circa 1981.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

new caledonia is better

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

redgubbinz posted:

Please refrain from shattering the illusion.

GISBORNE, NEW ZEALAND:

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

So I was in NZ a couple weeks ago, we were driving back past Upper Hutt about 10pm on a Sunday night. There's a lane closed on the highway so we slow down, and here's old mate belting round the traffic island with a lawnmower in the rain. So very NZ

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

The Bushwakers are the greatest thing to ever come from New Zeland.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I'm a big fan of these guys:

I have a bunch of family in Wellington and whenever they visit they bring us a duffel bag full of them, along with meat pies and cans of L&P. Then they hit up an outlet mall and take home bags full of sneakers and clothes because apparently a pair of Nikes costs like five hundred bucks over there.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

my favourite thing about nz is that everyone loves to drive, but can't. So they drive uninsured japanese second-handers, and then just t-bone eachother at every intersection because red lights are advisory and driving is their right

then they realise theyre paying over $2000 for an 18 year old car to replace it

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

then you add in the tourists who step out of the airport and into a campervan, and then drive on the wrong side of a highway jetlagged and immediately die and wipe out an innocent kiwi family driving the other way

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

New Zealands number one killer:

Death by Jucy

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
They need a shorted slang form of their name.

Noozlin'.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
They had all their vowel sounds stolen by Australians, who flaunt them in every word they can.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Accretionist posted:

Yeah nah, just follow his lead:

So, like... did this animal just up and commit suicide or what?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Chomp8645 posted:

So, like... did this animal just up and commit suicide or what?

nah that roo knows what he's doing, he has a destination in mind and his stamina is limitless

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Accretionist posted:

GISBORNE, NEW ZEALAND:

This looks like a damp version of Fury Road.

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
New Zealand is funny because I've seen Flight of the Condors.

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
And What We Do In the Shadows.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
Go watch dead alive you loving amateur ^

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Queenstown

(actually dont go there now the traffic is bad and too many tourists during seasonal peaks)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPYmtEQiG18

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Accretionist posted:

Don't forget to drive on the left:

yeah :smith:

quote:

Charles David Ellis, 51, was holidaying in New Zealand with his family from the United States when he drove onto the wrong side of the road and into the path of another vehicle on the Tekapo-Twizel Rd/State Highway 8 at Lake Pukaki at 7.30am on March 17.

The oncoming vehicle was being driven by the 34-year-old son-in-law of the victim, Yau Nung Yu, who was also travelling with his wife and mother-in-law. They were fellow tourists, visiting from Australia.

"He saw your vehicle travelling towards him. His natural reaction was to brake and swing his vehicle to the left. Your natural reaction was to swerve to the right," Judge Kevin Phillips said.

"What then happened was tragedy."