Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
I stalled on posting this for like two weeks because I couldn't come up with a good joke for the title.

Anyway, this NICSA is about foods we hate, and I picked my eternal nemesis, catfish. I'd never had catfish I'd liked, probably by virtue of having had a bad experience when I was like 17 and having refused to order it since. But I decided I would go ahead and try my hand at it. Basically all I knew coming in was that catfish was a fairly flavor light fish, and that people liked to fry it. What I didn't realize was that it actually shows up in a bunch of different cultures, including places like Bangladesh and Hungary. Or that there's a Vietnamese catfish that's not a catfish at all.

So the first step is to buy way too much catfish and have to make two different recipes. When I went on my Japanese food kick a while back, I saw a recipe for Catfish Kabayaki and since I like everything I've made from just one cookbook that I've made, *and* it wasn't a southern fried recipe (which was all I could find at first), I figured we'd start with that.

I pretty much followed the recipe exactly, but I've documented the steps

Step 0: Make some rice. I figure you already know how to do this.

Step 1, get your fish out, cut into four half sized filets.

Get your salt, pepper and flour out, you're not gonna need a lot of any of these.

Liberally salt and pepper the fish

Add a little bit of flour

On a pan over medium heat, using a little bit of oil fry your fish

Realize you haven't pre-prepared the sauce and scramble to assemble the ingredients

Flip your fish once the bottom is nice and brown

Mix your sauce in a side bowl

Realize you also forgot to take a picture of the scallions, so do so now, in case your audience doesn't know what they look like, and will wonder what the little green things on your fish are at the end.

Once the fish is ready, add the sauce, and let it thicken for a bit

Spoon the sauce over the fish as it thickens, to really get that flavor in there.

Then pull out the fish, garnish with the scallions and serve over rice. (Not pictured, the rice)

Verdict: 10/10, would make again. Considering how few ingredients went in, it was startlingly good.

Of course when I was done, I still had a bunch of catfish. So I decided I'd fry it, and make sandwiches. I vaguely followed this serious eats recipe for the frying part, but I didn't have the components for a slaw and didn't feel like I needed them, since I had leftover garlic mayo and some pretty good looking tomatoes.

First step first: Assemble your breading ingredients.

For the inner layer, salt, pepper and curry powder (I used garam massala, you do you)

Get a bunch on the fish (No before pictures this time)

Get your pan rippling hot, with a bunch of oil, for frying. While you're doing that prep your flour for dredging

Then dredge the fish and add it straight to the hot oil. Don't be like me, use tongs, avoid easy to avoid burns.

While the fish is frying, slice your tomatoes and pull out the home-made garlic mayo from earlier in the week. (If you don't make garlic mayo, you should, its amazing)

Flip the fish, then get out your burger buns, and toast them. I used a toaster, but they'd probably be better grilled.

When its ready, transfer the fish to a paper towel lined plate

Then, assemble your sandwiches

Serve with whatever side veggie you want, or fries. I had leftover carrot salad so we had that.

Verdict: Fried fish is good. Which was surprising to me, because i remembered fried catfish having a wholly unpleasant texture.

It turns out I like catfish, and will likely make it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Some good looking fish there!

I'm a fan of creole spice on fried catfish, Tony Chachere is good stuff for a commercial mix.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
This right here is exactly what I was hoping for. Getting people to challenge their expectations, and find new favorites!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Good fish, well done for trying something you hate, and I’m glad it turned out well!